Home » US Immigration - Visas » US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends, either during graduation time, or after they start working in the US, or if they are expecting a baby is “What is the process to apply for a visitor or tourist visa(B2 visa) to parents to come to the USA? What documents do I need? How do I start ?”. The below article covers the step-by-step process to apply for a B2 visitor visa for parents or family members, including sample documents, templates.

Basic Requirements – Passports,  Funds for US Trip

The two most important things you need to plan ahead before you even apply for a visa are passports for parents and the funds required for their travel.

  • Parents Passports: The first step is to apply for passport for your parents, if they do not have one. Depending on the country, the time to get passport can vary, so factor in that time in your entire US visa application process for their B2 visa. For example, if you are from India, in the past it used to take 3 to 6 months, now with outsourcing to TCS, you can get passport in little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes of Tatkaal, if it is emergency and you can get you passport as soon as 7 days, but you have to pay extra fee. Check out the passport application website for details. You may read our article on applying for Passport Renewal in India, it can give some idea.
  • Bank Savings for Sponsorship: You need enough funds for your parents trip. Make sure you save some good amount totalling up to $10,000 dollars or more to cover their expenses. It is advised to start saving 3 months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting in bank. There is no hard fast rule. Just an advice.

Step by Step Process for Parents US Visitor Visa (B2)

Below are the various steps that you can follow to apply for visitor visa for parents. Some of them can be done in parallel, but below is a general step-by-step guide.

Employment Letter from your Company or Graduation Letter

When you invite your parents or family, one of the things US Consular officer would look at are your current Visa status and supporting documentation for the same. You may need to get different set of documentation based on your status as an employee working in US or student studying in US. Below are the details

Working in US on a Visa (H1B, L1, OPT)

If you are working on a work visa, you need to get an employment letter from your current company, verifying that you are working in US on H1B, L1 or other visa, including OPT or STEM OPT. This is to make sure you are in good standing in US and are getting paid to support the travel of your parents.

Depending on the company, your company may ask you for details of your parents or their passport copies and directly address the employment verification letter to the consulate. There is no rule that you need to have certain format. Check Sample templates section at the end, if you want a sample. All they care is, if you are employed and in good standing.

The employment verification Letter should have information like when you joined them and what role are you in and how much salary you make. Some employers are quick and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

F1 Student – Graduation Invitation

If you are an F1 international Student inviting your parents for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like F1 Visa copy, I-94, I-20 and Graduation invitation letter to your parents.

Complete DS-160, Book US Visa Appointment

Before you book US Visa stamping appointment for your parents, you need to fill in DS-160 form. Make sure you have scan copies of their passport before you start the process to avoid issues. Also, your employer may need them.

Complete DS-160 Form Online for Parents   

Unless your parents are well educated and have all facilities like computer with internet access, etc. they may not be able to do DS-160 on their own. It would be better, if you fill it out for them and then declare the same at the end. It saves a lot of pain for your parents to fill it out without any mistakes.

  • Separate DS-160 Forms : You will need to create separate DS-160 applications profiles for every individual applying for visa. If you are inviting both your mother and father, then you need to create two DS-160 Profiles online for your parents.
  • Creating Family Member DS-160 from Thank you page : When you are filling out the first DS-160 form for first family member, at the end when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to “Thank you” page and on that page you will have an option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • Required info to Fill DS-160 form : You will need a lot of information like education details, work history, identification info etc. We have complied the entire list of required items for DS-160 and tips to fill the same. Read How to fill out DS-160 Form, Documents Needed to get full idea.
  • Filling up the DS-160, Declaration : If you are filling forms on behalf of your parents, at the end in DS-160 form, there is a section on ‘Sign and Submit page‘, there you should fill out your details as third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You may check more info and discussion on sign and submit  option.
  • Fill DS-160 online at Official State.gov website : You should go to Official US Govt State.gov website for DS-160 form Creation. Here is the link : US Govt ceac.state.gov Website
    • If any questions, you can visit any of the below links to fill the DS-160 form.  

Once you complete the DS-160 form, next step is to pay the fee and book visa interview appointment.

Booking US Visa Interview Appointment, Native Language

You need to book visa appointment at US embassy/ consulate for getting B2 Visa stamping to travel to US. It involves, paying fees, selecting location and interview language. Let’s look in detail.

  • US Consulate Location for Interview : Depending on your home country, there may be one or more locations in your country. You need to choose the US Consulate that is close to where your parents live. For instance, in India, each consulate has a list of states that they serve. Depending on your state, you need to select the respective Consulate.
  •  Parents US Visa Interview Language – Mother tongue vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, you should choose their preferred mother tongue or native language. Most of the US embassies give you that option to choose the local language. For instance, in India, you can choose interview language  such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, it is better to choose native language rather than English, so that they are comfortable and communicate clearly when asked by Visa Officer.
  • Scheduling US Visa Interview : The US Visa interview appointment booking is handled by www.ustraveldocs.com website in most of the countries. Depending on your country, click on the country and choose the relevant website. For instance, for India, it would be www.ustraveldocs.com/in.
    • You need to create an account and follow the process in there. You will be asked to pay the fee online for booking appointment.
    • If you cannot pay online, you can go to bank, pay it there and get code to use the same for booking appointment.
    • You do not need two accounts, you can add your parents together as family in the same account and book visa interview appointment.

You can read Complete guide apply for US Visa Appointment for step by step process.

Prepare for US Visitor Visa(B2) Interview, Documents

You will need to prepare and carry all relevant documents for the US Visitor visa interview for your parents. You will need to send them invite letters, sponsorship letters and other info. Let’s look at each of them.

Funds Proof – Bank Account Balance Letter, Sample

If you are sponsoring your parents or in-laws trip, you need to send the relevant proof to show that there are enough funds in your bank. While you can print out the Bank statements online, it is recommend that you go to your Bank and get a Bank verification or Bank Balance Statement Letter signed and stamped by the Bank officer.

Go to the primary bank, where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Depending on the bank, the process can vary. Typically, Chase does it instantly. For Bank of America or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

Invitation Letter, Visa Officer Cover Letter, Other Documents

Below are other set of documents that you will need to have ready for the visa interview, so that your parents or in-laws can show the same.

  • Invitation Letter : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It legally supports your parents intent to come to US and  you are inviting them to visit. Download sample template copies below.
  • Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents. See templates section below.
  • Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.
  • F1 Student – Status Documents If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.
  • ( Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website
  • Sending Documents to Home Country : Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. It may cost you up to $60 USD.

Below is checklist of B2 visitor visa stamping for parents

Parents US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist

  • Copy of work visa approval  notice ( H1B, L1 – Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, US Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  ( Check How to get I-94 Online )
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from last 6 months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of previous years Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if you are not working on visa )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist for in-laws

If you are sponsoring for your in-laws like mother-in-law or father-in-law, in addition to above checklist of documents, you need to include spouse’s details and documents as well along with the package.

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s US Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience of missing the documents of in-laws.

You may join our Telegram B2 Visa Community Group to ask questions or share your experiences.

Sample Document Templates for Parents US Visitor Visa

Below are some of the templates that you can use. Make sure you change the content to fit it for your situation.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Additional Supporting documents by Parents for Visa Interview

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation. The below list of documents are intended to prove that they will return to home country:

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.

Attend US Visitor Visa Interview, Sample Questions

Having all documents is important, but the most important thing is to give your parents the confidence and all the details related to you and what you do in US so that they can answer the questions. You need to coach your parents to do well in the interview. You can expect to see questions like below for your parents in the visa interview

  • Who lives in US ? Son or Daughter ?
  • What does your Son or Daughter do in US ?
  • Did they study in US ?
  • Where did they study ?
  • What does your son or daughter do for work ?
  • Which city do they live in ?
  • Do you plan to settle down there or come back ?
  • What is the purpose of your visit ?
  • When do yo plan to go ?
  • When do you plan to return to India ?
  • What is your son or daughter salary ?
  • How long have your son or daughter lived in US ?
  • Do you work or retired?
  • Do you get pension ? Have you paid taxes ?

You can check out  some experiences like Parents US Visa Stamping Experience -Telugu  and  English Stamping Experience US Parents Visa  .

Hopefully, your parents get their US Visa in the interview. One last thing is health insurance.

Health Insurance for Parents : After you get US Visa and plan to arrive in US, having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in USA. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

Common FAQs

Are US Consulates in India doing B1/B2 visa interviews now for first-time applicants? How about the 2023 year?

Yes, US Consulates in India have started interviewing for B1/B2 vistor visas starting from September 2022. The number of slots that they open is few, but they are doing in-person interviews for first time B1/B2 applicants.

Are B1/B2 appointments open for the 2023 year placeholder appointments or real?

All the appointments that are available on USTravelDocs for 2023 and beyond are all real appointment. They are not placeholder appointments like in the past.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule.

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important  ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles


  1. Hi Saurabh,

    I have a question. I am applying B2 visa for my brother and nephew and it is self sponsored.

    In DS160, is there any section where i can mention my brother property and bank money details.

    However i don’t need to provide any document from my side (my understanding) as they are self sponsoring but if i provide any document, do i need to sign the document and send it through courier or i can email as well.

    Many Thanks!

    • No, you do not have such section. If they are sponsoring themselves, then no need for your documents, except invite letter and your copy of your approval / visa status details, general info. Email should work.

  2. Hi,

    I’m submitted DS-160 for my in-laws and mentioned Person/Entity Paying for your trip as Self but I will be taking care of their expense in US, I thought that the question is for flight expense.

    • Also I have scheduled appointment. Do I need to submit separate DS-160 now? or is it fine to explain in the visa interview

      • Well, it does not hurt to re-create a new one as it is one of the key requirements on who is paying for the trip.

      • Hello Anand,

        I am in the same situation as yours and my mom will be attending interview on 28th. Please let me know if you refilled DS160? Thanks

  3. Hello Kumar and other guys,

    My wife will be graduating in May and she wanted to invite total seven people, they are as follows: Her parents (Father working in PSU as a Engineer and Mother is Homemaker) (2), Brother (Just appeared for 12th exam – 1), Her sister ( final year of engineering -1), her aunt who is homemaker (Her husband
    works in government PSU – 1), her cousin working in public sector bank (1) and finally her mother in law (She is widowed and has three sons, one son in USA, One in Australia and youngest working in India).

    Let me know if inviting such a large group (7) is a bad move and potential trouble for approval. Let us know if we should consider breaking this group in two/ three. Let us know if this is a good strategy.

    Your response will be appreciated. I am planning to book visa slots this week itself. We will be applying visitors visa @ Mumbai Consulate.

    • Raj,
      It does not matter how many you invite. They all are applying for Visitor Visa. As long as they have enough funds to cover their expenses and VO does not look at them as potential immigrants. It is your choice to split, but it does not matter. Imagine, tour groups, they send 30+ people per group applying for the same visitor visa. The only difference is that in your case, they will stay at your house and will not show any accomodation…

  4. Hi Kumar,

    I am a student on an F1 visa, valid until June 2020. But I have already graduated in 2017 and I currently have a job working under OPT status. I have my STEM OPT extension until May 2020. I applied for H1B back in 2018, got picked in the lottery, but ultimately got rejected. I am not planning on re-applying for H1B again. Instead, my plan is to continue working here under my F1 visa until my STEM OPT end date and then leave and go back to India permanently. However, I want to bring in my parents for a visit before I leave America. The instructions here only talk about documents regarding “working under H1B” or “graduating under F1”, but right now I am in neither situation. Instead, I am “working under F1 with STEM OPT”, so what are the requirements I need to fulfill for my specific case? Please clarify this for me. Thank you.


    • Komal,
      The requirements are pretty standard for visitor visa. In the above article, Parents are applying for visitor visa. In your case, it would be your copy of I-20, your current EAD card, Your I-94, your employment verification letter, pay stubs. Essentially, all of your documents related to your F1 status and work. You also need to show the funds as well. You can use the same templates as well. You can also send in your tax documents, graduation certificate, and other documents as back-up.

  5. Hi,

    Can you please help on the below query.

    I am on a H1B visa & I-94 is valid till June 15th, 2019, my visa extension is in progress and I got only my receipt notice. H1B extension- Approval notice is not available. I am planning to apply for a visitor visa for my mom.

    Will the receipt notice be sufficient to sponsor for a visitor visa

    • Sure, your previous approval and the new receipt notice should be fine. It is recommend to send your employment letter, and other documents as listed in article.

  6. Hi,

    My own brother has completed his Masters in US, he wanted to invite me and my wife to attend his Graduation ceremony. Unfortunately my parents wont be able to attend because, my father cant travel long distance as per his medical conditions.

    What are my and my wife’s changes of getting Visa ?

    I am a software engineer in Reputed IT company and my wife is a HR Recruiter (It company).

    Can I show my fathers medical condition to Visa officer to convince that I will be back to India?

    and what are the minimum financial limits that I need to show for the visit?

    Hoping to hear from you soon, thanks!

  7. hi,

    i am greencard holder and staying at my relatives house which we rent. as we are relatives, we have not signed up or made any rental agreement. so is it ok if i send my house owner’s permission letter instead of rental agreement?

  8. Hello!
    My in-laws visited us last year (Sep-Nov 2018). Now they will be visiting us this year between June and Sep. Are there any specific documents that they should be carrying as this their second visit? Or just the invitation letter (if needed) is sufficient?
    Appreciate your response!


  9. Hello, My MIL has her green card and is staying with us in the US. We would like to invite FIL to the US, what would be the best way to proceed – visitor visa or green card sponsorship from India. Will the visitor visa be denied due to him being a potential immigrant. Thanks

  10. Do we need to send invitation letter , cover letter ,employment verification letter,bank statement,534 document in original or can we just send scan copy ?

    • You may send scan copies as there is hard requirement from US embassy, but if you can send some of the copies via physical mail, it would be good. Personally, I have sent copies of originals, even though none of them were checked

  11. For B1/B2 fee payment, I got one CGI reference number for 3 visa applicants and $480 ($160 X 3) visa fees.

    But on the USA Travel docs portal, it asks for 3 receipt numbers, 1 for each traveller.

    Would the bank provide me 3 receipt numbers after fee payment , or will I have to use same Receipt number for all 3 applicants?

    • Sid,
      In general, you can use same receipt number for all the three. Usually bank provides one receipt for one CGI reference number, so should be fine. You can call the US Travel Docs help, if you need to double check.

  12. Hi,

    My own brother has completed his Masters in US, he wanted to invite me and my wife to attend his Graduation ceremony. Unfortunately my parents wont be able to attend because, my father cant travel long distance as per his medical conditions.

    What are my and my wife’s changes of getting Visa ?

    I am a software engineer in Reputed IT company and my wife is a HR Recruiter (It company).

    Can I show my fathers medical condition to Visa officer to convince that I will be back to India?

    and what are the minimum financial limits that I need to show for the visit?

    Hoping to hear from you soon, thanks!

  13. Hi!

    I am on H4 and spouse’s H1 is valid till August 2019.
    His H1 transfer is in process.
    Currently i am in India and want to apply B2 tourist visa for my parents.
    Hope currently being in India and applying for my parents won’t cause any issues or is it mandatory for me to be in US to apply visa for my parents?
    Need suggestions on the same.


    • It should not matter, you being in India does not really impact. They need to carry the documents related to you and your spouse. If the transfer is in progress, they should carry the receipt notice as well, just to be safe.

  14. Hi.,
    We are applying visa for both my in-laws and my mom. The thing is my hubby sponsored his parents and he filled that I’m sponsoring my mom. I’m in H4 visa. Do the officer will ask how and why your daughter can sponsor your visa to my mom.? Saying that my son in law will take care of me is that fine.?

    • It should be fine as long as there are bank statements indicating the availability of funds to support their trip and documents to show you both are married.

  15. I am apply B2 Visitor Visa for my parents , i have been renewed H1B from this April, planning to book an appointment for my parents in June:

    1) My passport expires next year so applying new one in this June here in USA so my question is : is it better to wait until i get new passport then fill ds160 and book appointment or is it fine with the old passport itself?

    2) i filled ds-160 6 months ago not yet booked visa appointment and i mentioned intended travel in ds160 as feb 2019 which is already over will this be a problem , should i fill ds-160 again?

    Kindly let me know.

    Thanks in advance!

    • It is confusing. Are the questions related to applying visitor visa for your parents ? If so, it does not matter. Your passport validity does not matter.

  16. Hi,

    Please provide your inputs on below queries I have in applying my parents B2 visa.
    Although they are self sponsoring their visa, I will be sending them invitation letter, copy of my visa related documents, marriage certificate, and passport copy.

    1. Is it required to send them original / signed documents? Can I send them scanned copies of my documents with my signature on it so they can take printout to carry with them? Will I need to send them my original birth certificate and marriage certificate or printouts will do?
    2. If they are self sponsored , can I mention in the invitation letter that I will be taking care of their travel and stay expenses while they are in USA? In that case, do I have to send my bank statements, pay stubs, w2 documents etc. to them?
    3. If asked who is sponsoring their trip, can they answer they are self sponsoring their trip and add that they will stay with their daughter in USA?

    We are confused as I have already filled in their form ds160 that they would self sponsor their trip. But as they will be staying with me and I will be taking them around to visit places in USA, Im not sure how to specify this or not specify at all. They are retired and their bank balance (savings, fds ) is 20 L. Is that enough for self sponsorship of 3 months?

    I would really appreciate your help in answering above questions. Thank you very much for your efforts.

    • 1. Scanned copies or email print out should be fine as well. Well, copy of it with your parents info would be good to prove the relationship. Good to carry.
      2. Yes, if you are taking care of their expenses in US, then you need to send that documents to show you have funds.
      3. If they are paying for the whole trip, then they are sponsoring themselves. If you are going to take of any expenses during their trip in US, then it is partly funded by you…so it can be confusing, if you say half they and half you…to avoid confusion, stick to one…either you pay for the entire trip or they pay for the entire trip.
      You can always create another DS-160, it does not hurt to create one, if you are sponsoring. 20 Lakhs is much more than what they need for their 3 month trip, so it is fine with current DS-160.

    • Well, these are just supporting documents and no specific requirements outlined by DHS. Usually, W2 would be good enough to prove you have been employed and living in US. If you are concerned, you can send the tax returns as well, does not hurt.

  17. Hi Kumar,

    Please clarify below query which came across during filling DS160:
    Me and my husband is on H1 and in US. My H1 stamping is expired, I will be traveling to India for a vacation during May 2019 and planning to go for stamping. I am planning for my parents visa – B2 on the same time. If myself & my parents go together for stamping on the same date will that be an issue ?
    My confusion is, as my stamping expired and I am inviting my parents will it cause an issue?
    Is it safe that my husband invite rather than me ? Please advice as I am looking to book an appointment ASAP.

    • No, it will not be an issue. You can go on same day. Visa expiration has nothing to do with Status. All they check is if you have maintained proper status. You can invite, just make sure you send additional documents as listed on the article. Read https://redbus2us.com/us-visa-vs-status-h1b-f1-l1b-visa-expired-i-94-valid-legal-stay/

  18. I am dependent on my husband. We jointly file taxes. We share bank accounts. Can I be a sponsor for my mother who would be applying for a visitor visa? If yes, then do I put Annual Income as 0?

  19. I am inviting my mother in law to US, I have 2-3 questions in my mind
    1. Shall I send the invitation or my wife (On Dependent Visa )should do that?
    2. My Mother in law is a widow, in the form she has to fill spouse details,she need to mention the details or leave it blank ?As in form it is mentioned current spouse details.
    3. Her bank statement also required? If yes how much?

  20. Hi All,

    I am planning to bring my in laws to US. My L1B Visa is expired on Jan 2019 and my I94 is still valid till 2020 but my Wife Visa is L2 is still valid till 2020.

    My organization is planning to file for extension of my Visa. In the mean while i would like to start processing B2 visitor visa for my mother and father in laws.

    My Question is will my visa expiration be a problem in processing my in laws visa’s or can i process with my wife valid visa. What are the options i have to process my in laws visa now. Can someone please explain..

  21. Hi Everyone,

    I have a quick query. I am sponsoring B2 Visitor Visa for my mother.

    In my passport my mother name is Barsha Devi but on her passport there is no Surname and it’s only Barsha.
    All her documents are without surname, so in DS160 I have used FNU,BARSHA.
    But there is a differences in name in my passport and her passport.
    What should I do? Will there be any problem?


    • Sunil,
      I had a similar situation in mine with last names being different. I used the details as they appeared on my mother’s passport for everything. It should be fine. You can attach a name reference sheet and get it certified by a notary and send it along with your mother, if you are worried about it.

      • Thanks Kumar.

        Yesterday there was an interview for my mother and mother in law in half an hour of time difference.

        VO approved VISA for my mother in law but rejected for my mother.

        My mother in law is a house wife so I have mentioned same as in DS160 and my mother runs our family business with my father and same mentioned in DS160.
        Another thing is my mom age is 49 years 3 months and mother in law age is 51.

        VO asked only 2 questions to my mother
        1) Purpose of Travel
        2) Who stays in US?

        I am not sure what made VISA rejection for my mother? Any inputs will be appreciated.

        How soon I can apply for my mother again?


  22. Hi All,

    I am working on B2 documentation and DS160 fill up for my Parents.

    In my father passport, his name is——— Madhavaiah
    But in all other documents (and) in my passport-fathername section his name is mentioned as ——- Madhanasekar

    *This is not the actual name I mentioned above as this is public forum but the names mismatch is like above

    1) In DS160, should I select the option as Yes for the ‘Other names used’ and/or
    2) Should they go for the Affidavit (Notary), stating that, it’s names mismatch but same person called with multiple names

    Pls clarify

    • 1) Yes, you can mention that.
      2) It is good to go for that as they both are really different and and not a minor error.

  23. Hi Admin,

    Thanks for taking out time in answering everyone’s question.

    My parent’s are applying for B2 visitor visa to attend my sister’s graduation ceremony in US. My question is in how many months bank statements should we provide ? Is last 3 months bank statements sufficient ?


    • Neha,
      There is nothing really written anywhere as part of requirement. It is good to carry anywhere from 3 to 6 months to show that you have enough funds.

    • hi i am a us citizen and i live in california, i’m inviting my mother who is 83 years old and my sister as her companion . i’m only paying for thier visa application, my daughter who is also a us citizen lives in guam is the one who is paying thier plane ticket, and they will also live with my daughter. but me and my daughter are both inviting them. di i still need to send a bank statement? or just an invitation letter

      • They need to carry proof to indicate that they have enough funds to support their trip…It can be their account or your account, does not matter. If asked, they need to tell who is the sponsor of the trip and who will pay for the trip.

  24. Hi Admin,

    My question is related to B1/B2 tourist visa. My mom and my FIL (Retired) are both widows. They both visited for Tourist visa interview in India and is rejected as my FIL did not carry daughters documents.

    My question is if I resend them for interview, should I send them together or separately? Are there chances of getting rejected again? I am the youngest son and my mom stays with my two elder brothers India.
    Any comments

    • It is very hard to say. Visa stamping is not necessarily just based on documents you carry or your situation, it is the Visa officer’s assessment on what they see and believe. You can try sending them again separately and give it a try, does not hurt.

  25. A B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa for travel to the United States for tourism purposes. If you are visiting the United States on holiday, for example, you would request a B-2 visa. Generally, a B-2 visa entitles you to visit the United States for trips up to six months in length. Some B-2 visas allow multiple entry, while others will expire soon after your trip.

    Just like the B-1 via (for business travel), the B-2 visa has no cap. There’s no limit to the number of B-2 visas the United States awards every year.

  26. Hi Admin,

    I am on F1 visa and want to invite my Parents and Brother in United States to attend my graduation ceremony. So, Is it important to show original copy of Fixed Deposit? I mean, does photo copy of Fixed Deposit work or not?

  27. Hey,

    I am applying for b2 visa for my parents. My husband is sponsoring them and my question is do I have to send all copies of my husband’s new and old passports? I filled my parents d160 in this case I entered my name as I helped them filling the form below it ask for passport number is this my parents passport?

  28. Hello,
    In point 9, I see you mentioned to sign DS-160(if filled by you).
    But on the DS160 confirmation page, I do not see any option to sign.
    I mentioned that I have filled on behalf of my parents and e-signed in the application.
    Can you please clarify if the physical signature is required ?

  29. Hi – I am on H1B and few of my friends are planning to apply for tourist visa and asking for invitation letter. I will not be bearing any financial responsibilities for their trip. In that case, will the invitation letter be of any help? if yes, what all documents to share? Thanks!

    • Yes, invite letter will help. It tells the embassy that they are planning to visit you and your home address will be their location of stay. You can mention in that letter that your friends are taking care of their travel expenses.

      • Okay, thank you for the quick response! that helps!
        Do I need to share any other documents from your checklist other than invitation letter/cover letter? as I understand, since I am not bearing any financial responsibility, I will not be needed to furnish any paystubs/W2 and Do I need to share employment letter? Thanks!

  30. Hi,
    I’m planning to apply for B2 visa for my parents. In DS160, its asking for my address and address where my parents will stay. I moved recently and temporarily I’m staying with my friend. Currently my name is not in lease agreement. I want to initiate my parents visa before taking any lease. If my parents get visa then I’ll take 2 bhk and if they won’t then I’ll book 1bhk. Thats the reason I’m not able to take any lease and don’t have address proof. So what should I fill in address section of DS160?

  31. Hello rajesh mentioned if applying for inlaws spoues passport(is it all pages ? If spouse holds old passport do we have to take copy of all pages in new n old passport?) Whatis i797? Is it required if im a PR?

  32. Hello,

    I am planning to bring my parents to US. Based on this blog , i am preparing all documents . Hear , have question about I134 form . Is it mandatory for this process . If yes, should i fill separate forms for my mom and Dad . Please help me here. Can i add my i140 approval notice with my i797 , will it be good to have this process . Please clarify for those two question

  33. Hi, This is a great link. But I suggest you add a tip that if applying for in-laws, it is mandatory to attach the spouse’s passport, visa and I797. I got my in-laws visa rejected as I did not attach this document. My bad, i should have read through in-laws visa processing steps instead of parents.

  34. Hi Kumar,

    In my current checking account I have average balance of $3K(current balance > 10K) is good enough for sponsorship ?


  35. Hi, We(family of 3) are planning to see our relatives in USA and applying for B2 visa. Do we need invitation from our relatives. And do we need to fill DS 160 for each family member.

    • If you are visiting them, it is best to have it as you will enter their address details when you are filling out the application form. Yes, you will need to fill it out for each family member.

  36. Hi Admin/Helpers,

    In US Parents Visa – Cover letter for Consulate for B2 Visa.docx, what should I mention in place for ‘Company name’, is it my employer name or my client name(where I work now)?.

    Thanks In Advance

    • In general, you should mention, who your H1B sponsor is and who pays you to keep you in status, because that’s the name that would be on your approval notice.

      • Thank you Kumar for response, but my employer address is in New Jersey and my current address is in Denver, CO(Client Place). DO you think that might cause issue ?

        In above case should I ignore Cover letter for Consulate for B2 Visa to avoid this confusion or its okay ?

        Appreciate your help, Thanks you

        • In general, it should be fine. You may avoid the cover letter as well, if you are unsure. These are all supporting documents and not really mandatory.

  37. HI
    Myself and my husband wish to invite my parents and brother ,sis in law and my niece to USA.Could you advise me if it’s better to apply as a group for all 5 or parents and brother family separately. Also like to know,whether we need to send the bank documents, pay slip and tax returns documents of my husband even if my family is going to take care of their expenses.

    • In my view, it is better to apply as a group. It is good to send additional supporting documents, they may or may not ask them, but good to have them handy, if needed…

  38. Hello Experts ,

    I would like to apply visitor visa for my brother.He is Central Govt employee in india. What are the chances of approving ? any difficulties ? I’m on H1.


    • It is very hard to give a very generic answer…it all depends on your brother’s profile, his ability to prove his ties in India, purpose of travel, etc….All you can do is apply with good intent with all proper documentation and hope it goes through…

  39. Hi,

    Iam applying for B2 visa for my parents. I filled the DS 160 for them separately, but while scheduling the appointment should I create 2 profiles in US Travel docs or single profile? Also which option to select if I want both of them to go at once for the interview? Please help me on this.

    • You create one profile for your father as primary profile and then add your mother as dependent in the same. you can add up to four dependents.

  40. Hi ,

    I am in USA and filling DS160 for my parents on their behalf. In the Last page , i have 2 questions :

    (a) Did anyone assist you in filling out this application? Should i give Yes and Provide my details

    (b) Under E-Signature Section, it is asking Enter your Passport/Travel Document Number . Should i give my Parent’s Passport Number or My Passport Number

    • a. Yes, You should. I did the same.
      b. If it is for the entire application, it would be your parents info. You cannot sign for your parents as they are adults. You can walk your parents through the details, explain and let them sign with their info.

  41. Question!
    Where do I submit all documents?
    Do I have to send all docs to my parents back home ? So they can book an appointment for the visa?

  42. Pankaj


    I want to bring my stepmom and half brother(11 year old) to visit US for 4-6 months sponsored by myself I am on L1 visa, when I am 20 year old my mother expired and father got remarried, recently father also expired, both my stepmom and half brother both have passports and all the documents like marriage certificate, my both parents death certificate but in my passport mother name is different its my biological mother name I came to know that it’s very difficult to get the dependent visa for step-parent, can I apply for B-1/2 visa then what documents required or is there any other way to bring them to visit US. Can you explain me step by step.


    • Pankaj,
      The process for B2 visitor visa is same as described above, it is no different. You need to send them invite letter and let them apply for B2 visa.

  43. Hi Admins,
    Thanks for your time and expertise on our visa queries.
    I am on h1b visa and I am planning to bring my wife on Tourist(b1/b2) visa. She can’t get the h4 visa as my h1b visa is already expired and extension is in progress. She is in Chille country as of now. So..
    1.Can she get the b1/b2 visa even I am on h1b?
    2. Is it possible to invite her on behalf of my relatives here in us?
    3. Will it make any impact on h4 visa if b2 visa get rejected?

  44. Hi,

    I am planning to apply B2 visa for in-laws. When I requested my HR for current Employment verification letter, I was informed that they don’t issue EVL for such cases; looks they are not supposed to issue any EVL. and suggested to send my parents latest three paystubs for myself and that is enough to prove that I work for ABC company.

    Can you please let me know if the EVL is mandatory?


Leave a Comment