Home » US Immigration - Visas » US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends, either during graduation time, after they start working in the US, or if they are expecting a baby, is “What is the process to apply for a visitor or tourist visa(B2 visa) to parents to come to the USA? What documents do I need? How do I start ?”

The below article covers the step-by-step process to apply for a B2 visitor visa for parents or family members, including sample documents and templates.

Zolve Mobile Ad
HomeAbroad Mobile Ad

Basic Requirements: Passports,  Funds for US Trip, Documents

The two most important things you need to plan before applying for a visa are passports for your parents and the funds required for their travel to the US.

Getting Parents’ Passports

  • The first step before you plan the B2 Visa is to apply for a passport for your parents if they do not have one. 
  • Depending on the country, the time to get a passport can vary. Consider the time to get the passport when you plan the overall time to get a B2 Visitor visa for them.
  • For example, if you are from India, in the past, it used to take 3 to 6 months; now, with outsourcing to companies like TCS, you can get a new passport in a little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes, such as Tatkaal, where you can get it in less than a week. If it is an emergency, you can get your passport within seven days, but you have to pay an extra fee for Tatkaal.

Bank Savings for Sponsorship

  • If you are paying for your parents’ trip, you need to have enough funds secured for the same.
  • There is no official guidance on how much money you need to have in the bank account from the US Department of State. They say the applicants must have enough funds to pay for the trip.
  • You can do a ballpark estimate of the expenses that your parents might incur based on flight tickets, local travel, etc., and come up with an amount you think makes sense.
  • As a rule of thumb, a good amount totaling up to $10,000 Dollars or more to cover their expenses would be ideal to have in the bank account.
  • It is advised to start saving for the same three months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting it in the bank. Again, there is no hard-and-fast rule, just some general guidance.

Also, it is important to secure all the relevant documents about your status in the US as they would be important for the process. Let’s look at them below.

Employment Letter from your Company or Graduation Letter

When you invite your parents or family, one of the things that a US Consular officer would look at is your current US Visa status and supporting documentation for the same. You may need to get a different set of documentation based on your status as an employee working in the US or a student studying in the US.

Below are the two main options based on your situation:

Working in the US on a Visa (H1B, L1, OPT, Green Card) – Employment Letter

If you are working on a work visa, you need to get an employment letter from your current company verifying that you are working in the US on H1B, L1, or other visa, including Green Card, OPT or STEM OPT. This is to make sure you are in good standing in the US and are getting paid to support the travel of your parents.

Depending on the company, your company may ask for details of your parents or their passport copies and directly address the employment verification letter to the consulate. There is no rule or format given by the US Consulate. You are free to use what your company gives. Check the sample templates section at the end of the article, if you want a sample. All they care is if you are employed and in good standing.

The employment verification Letter should have information like when you joined them, what role you are working in, and how much salary you make. Some employers are quick, and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

International Student on F1 Visa – Graduation Invitation

If you are an F1 international Student inviting your parents for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like your F1 Visa copy, I-94 copy, I-20, and Graduation invitation letter to your parents. This would act like an invite as well as supporting documentation for them.

Step-by-Step Process for Parents’ US Visitor Visa (B2)

Below are the various steps that you can follow to apply for a visitor visa for parents. Some of these can be done in parallel, but below is a general step-by-step guide.

Step 1: Complete DS-160, Book US Visa Appointment

Before booking your parents’ US Visa stamping appointment, you must fill in Form DS-160, which is nothing but the online Nonimmigrant US Visa application form. Make sure you have scan copies of their passports before you start the process to avoid issues. Sometimes, your employer may also ask for the same for documentation.

Complete Form DS-160 Online for Parents   

Unless your parents are well educated and have all the facilities, such as a computer with internet access, etc., they may not be able to do DS-160 on their own. It would be better if you fill it out for them and then declare the same at the end. It saves a lot of pain for your parents to fill it out without any mistakes.

Important Info to know before you fill out Form DS-160 Form for Parents

  • Separate DS-160 Forms: You must create separate DS-160 application profiles for every visitor visa applicant. If you invite both your mother and father, you must create two DS-160 Profiles online separately for your parents.
  • Creating Family Member DS-160 from the Thank you page: When you are filling out the first DS-160 form for the first family member, at the end, when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to “Thank you” page and on that page you will have the option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • Required info to Fill DS-160 form: You will need a lot of information like education details, work history, identification info, etc. We have compiled the entire list of required items for DS-160 and tips to fill the same. Read the article: Documents Needed to Fill out DS-160 Form, to get an idea.
  • Filling up the DS-160, Declaration: If you are filling out forms on behalf of your parents, at the end of the completion of DS-160 form, there is a section that reads ‘Sign and Submit page’, you should fill out your details as a third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You may check more info and discussion on sign and submit option.

Where to Fill out DS-160 online at the Official State.gov website

You should go to the Official US Govt State.gov website for DS-160 form Creation. Here is the link: US Govt ceac.state.gov Non-Immigrant Visa Application Website

  • If you have any questions, you can visit any of the below links to fill the DS-160 form.  

Once you complete the DS-160 form, next step is to pay the fee and book visa interview appointment.

Booking US Visa Interview Appointment, Native Language

You need to book a visa appointment at a US embassy/ consulate to get B2 Visa stamping to travel to the US. It involves paying fees, selecting a location, and interview language. Let’s look in detail.

  • US Consulate Location for Interview: Depending on your home country, there may be one or more locations in your country. You need to choose the US Consulate that is close to where your parents live. For instance, in India, each consulate has a list of states that they serve. Depending on your state, you need to select the respective Consulate. You can read US Consulates India – What states they serve, contact info.
  •  Parents US Visa Interview Language – Mother tongue vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, you should choose their preferred mother tongue or native language. Most of the US embassies around the world give you the option to choose the local language.
    • India Consulates – No Option to Choose Language in System: Starting from 2023 with the new system in place, in India, you do not have the option to choose the interview language such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. You will only get the option of English. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, then you can ask them to request a local translator at the US Consulate/ Embassy on the day of the interview. For India, depending on the consulate, some languages may not be available. So, it is important to attend the interview at a location that is relevant for your state. You can check US Consulates Contact Info, Served States for more info. You can email the consulate/ embassy beforehand to be sure as well.
  • Scheduling US Visa Interview: The US Visa interview appointment booking is handled by www.ustraveldocs.com website in most countries. Depending on your country, click on the country and choose the relevant website, where you will get the actual website that is used for booking the appointment. For instance, to book a visa appointment in India, you need to use the website USVisaScheduling.com.
    • You need to create an account and follow the process in there. You will be asked to pay the fee online for booking an appointment.
    • If you cannot pay online, you may need to go to the bank, pay it there, and get a code to use for booking an appointment.
    • You do not need two accounts, you can add your parents as family in the same account and book visa interview appointment.
    • If you are booking an appointment in India, you can read How to Create Account on USVisaScheduling.com

You can also read the complete guide apply for a US Visa Appointment for step-by-step process.

Step 2: Prepare for US Visitor Visa(B2) Interview, Documents

You will need to prepare and carry all relevant documents for the US Visitor visa interview for your parents. You will need to send them invite letters, sponsorship letters and other info. Let’s look at each of them.

Funds Proof – Bank Account Balance Letter, Sample

If you are sponsoring your parents or in-laws trip, you need to send the relevant proof to show that there are enough funds in your bank. While you can print out the Bank statements online, it is recommend that you go to your Bank and get a Bank verification or Bank Balance Statement Letter signed and stamped by the Bank officer.

Go to the primary bank, where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Depending on the bank, the process can vary.

For instance, at Chase Bank they do it instantly. For Bank of America, or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

Invitation Letter, Visa Officer Cover Letter, Other Documents

Below are the other set of documents that you will need to have ready for the visa interview, so that your parents or in-laws can show the same.

  • Invitation Letter: You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It supports your parents intent to come to the US and  you are inviting them to visit. You can get a sample template copy in the below section.
  • Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents. See the templates section below.
  • Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.
  • F1 Student Status Documents: If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.
  • (Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family-based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website
  • Sending Documents to Home Country: Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. It may cost you up to $60 USD.

Below is the checklist of B2 visitor visa stamping documents for parents.

Parents US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist

Below are the documents that Parents need to carry from their side

  • Passport
  • DS-160 Form Submission Confirmation letter
  • US Visa Appointment Confirmation Letter

Below are the documents parents need to carry related to their sponsor(son or daughter) in the US or if they would be staying with them.

  • Copy of work visa approval notice from USCIS ( H1B/ L1 Approval Notice Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, US Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  (Check How to get I-94 Online )
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from the last six months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of previous years Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if you are not working on visa )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist for in-laws

If you are sponsoring for your in-laws like mother-in-law or father-in-law, in addition to above checklist of documents, you need to include spouse’s details and documents as well along with the package.

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s US Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience of missing the documents of in-laws.

Additional Supporting documents by Parents for Visa Interview

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation. The below list of documents are intended to prove that they will return to home country:

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in the US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.

You may join our Telegram B2 Visa Community Group to ask questions or share your experiences.

Sample Document Templates for Parents US Visitor Visa

Below are some of the templates that you can use. Make sure you change the content to fit it for your situation.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template: You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Step 3: Attend Biometrics & US Visitor Visa Interview Appointments

Once you have all the documents ready, the next step is to attend the Biometrics appointment at a US Visa Application Center(VAC) and give biometrics on that required day. After the biometrics are taken, parents must carry all the documents listed in the above checklist and attend the visa interview on the respective date and time.

Having all the documents is essential, but the most important thing is to give your parents confidence and all the details related to you and what you do in the US so that they can answer the questions. You need to coach your parents to do well in the interview.

You can expect to see questions like the below for your parents in the visa interview.:

  • Who lives in the US? Son or Daughter?
  • What does your Son or Daughter do in the US?
  • Did they study in the US?
  • Where did they study?
  • What does your son or daughter do for work?
  • Which city do they live in?
  • Do you plan to settle down there or come back?
  • What is the purpose of your visit?
  • When do you plan to go?
  • When do you plan to return to India?
  • What is your son or daughter’s salary?
  • How long have your son or daughter lived in the US?
  • Do you currently work, or are you retired?
  • Do you get a pension? Have you paid taxes?

You can check out previous US Visitor Visa experiences at below links 

Step 4: B2 Visa Approval, Passport with Visa

If the B2 visa interview went well, your parents would be informed that their visa was approved and their passports would be collected. If the passports are collected, then they can expect the actual B2 Visitor Visa foil to be glued in their passport and delivered to their given address within a few days.

If your parents chose to pick up a passport, they could collect the same with the visa stamped in it. The approved B1/B2 or B2 Visitor Visa glued in the passport would look in the screenshot below.

Sample B1/ B2 Visitor Visa for USA
Sample B1/ B2 Visitor Visa for USA

If the visa were not approved, the consular officer would inform your parents and give them a piece of paper indicating the reason for Visa denial. One of the common reasons for visa denial for B2 visitor visa is 214(b). If your parents are unlucky, they can again reapply. You can read more on it at State.gov US Visa Denials reasons.

Hopefully, your parents get their US Visa in the interview. One last thing, before they go to the US, is to look at health insurance for their US Travel.

Health Insurance for Parents: After you get the US Visa and plan to arrive in the US, having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in the USA. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

Common FAQs

Are US Consulates in India doing B1/B2 visa interviews now for first-time applicants?

Yes, US Consulates in India are doing both in-person interviews as well as dropbox appointments for parents B2 visitor visas. There are no restrictions.

Are B1/B2 appointments open for the 2024 and 2025 year placeholder appointments or real?

All the appointments that are available on USVisaScheduling.com for 2024, 2025 and beyond are all real appointments. They are not placeholder appointments like in the past.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule.

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles


  1. Hi,
    Quick question…

    This is about my parents vistor visa stay (invited by my sister under her H1B), they are currently staying for past year with an approved extension for stay. Now due to the virus they are unable to travel and may have to apply for another extension as suggested by USCIS.

    So I would like to know, whether I can apply extension for my parents (visitor visa), even though they were actually invited by my sister under her H1B.

    • Kumar,
      It does not matter, who applies….As long as it is applied for them. Technically, it is their petition, you may be just helping them fill it…

    • Hi I’m Worla
      I am a GC holder
      I want to invite my mum to the USA
      can I do that?
      If not is there another way that I can?
      She is also unwell could I also use that to apply for her

      • Worla,
        Yes, you can. It is the same process as described above. You can invite her to apply for B2. You can use that reason or just visiting is also fine.

  2. Hi Sir,

    My husband is in H1 visa and i am H4. I am planning to apply tourist visa for my parents. Can my husband still apply visa for my parents if my H4 is in extension process? If not is there any option that my husband can bring them?

  3. Hi,
    I am Planning to Apply Visiting Visa for My Mom, Brother, Sister In-Law and My Wife’s Mother.We both are doing job. I am on H1 B and My wife on H4 EAD.Could you please suggest what is the best way to send them for visa

    1) Can we send all 4 together ,none of them can speak english, all of them need interview in telugu only ?
    2) Can we send My Mom and Mother In-Law together and Brother and Sister In-Law together? or Mother and Mother In-Law individual and Brother and Sister In-Law together ?
    3) Should I sponsor all of them/should I include my wife also in sponsor.

    • Somu,
      1. Yes, you can send them together as family appointment.
      2. You can also do that. maybe, that sounds more logical.
      3. Either is fine. It does not really matter as long as there are enough funds in place.

  4. Hi,
    I am applying visitor’s visa for my parents. I chose B1/B2 category in DS-160 instead of B2. Would that be a problem?

  5. Hi Kumar,

    I am planning to extend B2 visitor visa for my grand mother and my mother-in-law due to corona virus outbreak and as I donot want them to travel now.

    One QQ – Should I pay the I-539 fee individually for both($370 +$370) or a single fee ($370) as a family for both of them..They both were interviewed and share the same iterianry of the ticket..Your advise is much appreciated as always, Thank you

    • Naresh,
      They should ideally be filed separately as they are not technically dependents. I would send them as separate applications with separate checks to be easy for tracking. You may talk to an attorney to be sure or call USCIS.
      You need to clearly explain your situation and ask for humanitarian or health related issues… because, if the extension is not given, their visa may become void for future, discuss with an attorney….It can be tricky to extend B2…

      • Thank you so much Kumar,

        So, If supppse..thier I 94 extension is rejected…thier visa that was given for 10 years will become void? and should go for stamping again?

        • Naresh,
          Yes, that’s could be one of the issues. I suggest you double check with an attorney and make a decision. Do update here after you speak to an attorney.

  6. Hi Sir,
    I plan to call my mil in april 2020 and will be sponsoring the entire trip. I have all documentation done. But i see documents for return of intent . Would just the bank statement be sufficient? Also, how much minimum balance should be there?

    • Abhishek,
      There is no specific documents for return intent, all the documents that we provide like FDs, Land paper, Job info, etc are to state that there are ties with home country and will return back home after visit. The bank statement is addressed above in article, read it again.

  7. Dear Sir,
    I am a GC holder with a conditional visa till 08/2020 which i will change it within a month, my question is my mother lives alone in Kolkata, India after my father’s sudden demise, I want to sponsor my mother to come to US and live with us not indefinitely till i apply for her immigration but for at least 6 months of her visit visa. Can I apply for her right now with my current status and if there is any faster way, she have passport n all, and also she have been refused visa 8 years ago.

    • Nudrat,
      Sorry to hear about your father. You may apply for it, it should be fine. Well, I am not sure, how the previous refusal would play out. Worth a shot, stay positive and apply for it. Hope it turns out well…Good Luck !

  8. Hi Kumar,
    Thanks for the article, its really helpful! I have a couple of questions. I’m a GC holder who wants to do vistor visa for my mother-in-law and brother-in-law.
    1. Do I need an employment letter in this case or is it only need for H1b case?
    2. Can I do group application for both of them? My brother-in-law is not a minor.
    3. If I fill up te application the last siging part should be done by them, is that correct? So I save the document ask them to login from India and sign and submit it?
    4. The funds I have in my bank account , how long I should keep it after applying for the visa?

    • Dan,
      1. Not needed, but does not hurt to send, if you have it.
      2. Not sure, you may able to do it as family. Usually allowed…double check once.
      3. Yes, but someone needs to explain them too. The instructions are pretty clear, try to follow them.
      4. The goal is that you are the sponsor and you need it in bank at least until they get the visa…after that it is your discretion. You may hold it until they arrive in US, if you want to be extra safe….

      • Thnaks Kumar Appreciate your response.! I ave one more question, since my wife is not working, do I have to apply for my in-laws or she needs to do it? you said she needs to provide her Birth Certificate in the case if she is sponsering their visa. if I’m doing it for her parents, what document should I sumbit? Marriage certificate? At what point you need this documents . Can you please clarify ?

        • Dan,
          It does not matter. If you are working then it is better, if you do it. Marriage certificate should be fine and if your name is endorsed on her passport, it works too…They usually do not look at these very closely, but it is our backup option for documents….

  9. Hello Sir,
    My parents have their interview in March, my dad would be taking all the original property papers, so is it compulsory to get them notarized? If yes, xerox papers of the properties should be notarized, correct?

  10. My mother’s she already rejected 2 times and they said she didn’t have strong reason for returning home is there any chance to get visa

  11. Hello Kumar sir, I have 2 questions please, 1. Do I need to mail my original birthday certificate to my parents for their visit visa? 2. I’m sending all of my documents first and once they received them then they will fill out online DS-160 so is that okay to do that way? I mean it’s okay to have dates on all of the paper work approx 1 month to 1.5 month before interview date?

  12. HI….I’m applying for B2 for my in-laws. Do we need to send hard copies (all the required docs) self attested to them or soft copies would do?


  13. Hi Kumar,

    I am also applying for a visitor’s visa for my Dad. He is mildly schizophrenic and I wanted to know how the process would be different for him. He tends to forget things or repeat them a few times which may lead to some issues during the interview. My mother (she already has a visa) will be traveling with him, so he won’t have any issues traveling as he will have support, and my mother and I will be sponsoring his trip.

    1. What extra documents (other than the ones you listed here) would be needed for him? Doctor’s letter, other health-related certificates?
    2. Can my mother accompany him to the interview? If yes, how can I apply for it?
    3. What are the chances of him receiving the Visa?
    4. If the embassy declines his visa for any reason, could that impact my mother’s visa in any way?
    5. Are there any other things I should keep in mind while filling out the DS-160?

    Thank you.

    • DT,
      I am not sure, if there are special provisions, if there are some health related issues. Please write to embassy and check on this.
      1. Yes, all including health docs as you said.
      2. Yes, if she is going for visa interview too…Not sure, if they would allow,unless some exceptions…Please write to the embassy or call ustraveldocs
      3. This is a million dollar question, I wish I can say…all varies by case, all we can do is stay positive and go for it.
      4. No, it will not impact.
      5. Nothing in specific.

  14. Hello Sir Kumar, I’m a US citizen and I want to invite my parents on visit visa so please my question is that do I have to follow the same checklist that you guys mentioned it on your site or for citizen it’s different? I will really appreciate your reply. Thank you in advance.

  15. I’m a Master’s student inviting my grandparents to visit me during the summer for my commencement. My grandparents would be paying for the flights themselves, however, my Aunt (who lives nearby in the US) will be hosting them for their trip as my apartment is small and cannot accommodate them. Here are my questions:

    1. Do I need a separate letter from my Aunt saying that she is (also?) inviting them? Or should the invitation be primarily from me and I mention that she will be hosting them?

    2. Do I need my Aunt to fill out the I-134 form? Or how do I show that my Aunt is okay with having them stay at her place?

    3. In the DS-160, in the “Address where you will stay in the US” question, I wrote my Aunt’s address and in the Point of Contact I wrote my information. Is the correct or is it confusing?

    4. I am concerned that in the DS-160 there is no mention of my Aunt and it may be confusing for the consulate if the Point of Contact address is different from Where you will be staying address.

    Thank you!

    • DT,
      1. It is good to have that ane mention that they will be staying with them.
      2. No need as she is not the sponsor.
      3. Yes. It is the right one.
      4. That’s why take the invite letter from her and also tell your Grand parents to tell the same. Don’t worry, it will be fine.

      • Hi Kumar,

        Thank you for your reply. I have a couple of follow-up questions.

        1. Do I need to provide any other documents from my Aunt? For example, her citizenship naturalization certificate, or anything else?
        2. What other information should I include in the invitation letter from my Aunt?

        Thank you again!

        • DT,
          1. Does not hurt to carry them. Anything that tells her status like passport or what you said would be good… Maye a proof of address like utility bill…These are just backup documents, if asked…
          2. Nothing specific, just indicate that she is inviting them to stay at the place, when coming for graduation, etc…Check sample template in the above article, create something that fits you modifying it.

  16. I would like to invite my Parents for my Graduation Ceremony. I would like to book a family appointment for my mother and father, and my father would be the primary sponsor as my mother is a home maker. My concern is that in my father’s passport his spouse name will be his first wife. While my Mother is his second wife and therefore her name is not there on his passport. Both my father’s first wife and second wife(my mother) are alive. My question is
    1) Is there any documents needed to prove their relationship if going as a family for the interview? or is it okay to show proof of funds in their respective banks as savings?
    2) If this is a problem can I invite my mother and father separately and sponsor my mother’s stay here as I have savings through my CPT Internship in the US and I also have monthly rental income and savings through my Business in India.
    3)If so how much money in $ amount should I ideally show as savings for a month’s stay for my mother? For my father he will show his business and savings for his interview separately.
    4)And what documents should I ideally produce to show my mothers ties to my country in India as she is a home maker, is her property documents enough?

    Please guide me on this.

    • 1. I am not sure…He may be asked for proof of divorce papers…not sure, just a possibility. If you can change the passport with the new details, would be ideal…
      2. there is no problem to invite separately…I am not sure, how much that would help your CPT savings…I mean to say from the Visa officer perspective, you are a student and should not be working that much…You may, but again, that’s the tricky part… She can sponsor herself too, if she has money in bank or your father.
      3. Check above article, there is not specific limit that they have told…anything around $10,000 or more should be good.
      4. Well, anything that you have..including your fathers documents indicating the spouse and she needs to stay with spouse.
      I would send them together rather than separate…it is your discretion.

  17. My spouse and myself are here in the US for a few years. Spouse has H1 and my H1 extension is in progress. Now planning to apply for my mother, sister and her family’s visitor visa.


    1. Most of the documentation and process is valid if we (spouse or myself or both) are sponsoring their trip. What if they have enough funds to do their own trip? Do I still need to provide invitation letter, bank verification letter, tax documents and H1 copies?

    2. From Oct 1 2019, I read somewhere that preliminary health info also needs to be supplied to the VO during interview. Is this true?

    3. My mother would prefer Telugu interview though she can manage basic English. Should I ask my sister, brother in law and their child to attend interview as a group along with her so that she feels better and confident? Or do they do theirs separately in English?

    4. What are the chances of visa issuance for my sister and her family given their age and careers in IT?

    Kindly enlighten. Thanks.

    • KaarMaa,
      1. you dont have to really provide invite letter, if they are not staying with you…they would need to provide itinerary on where they will stay, bookings, etc.
      2. I am not sure. Did you find it on state.gov website ? If so, then relevant, if not, nothing to worry.
      3. Let them do their interview separately and let her do Telugu. Mixing can create confusions as she cannot speak English…She should be fine to speak in Telugu, nothing to panic.
      4. It is hard to say…We have no idea, what they really look at…make sure they have proof of ties to come back to India, that’s the only thing we can do.

  18. I am indian by origin. I am studying bachelors in USA. can I send papers to my parents so that they can visit USA as I am feeling lonely here. if so what all documents I should provide.

    • renuka,
      Yes, you can. It is the same set of documents that you see above in the article. Invite letter, indicating why you are inviting them and your current visa status info like I-20, I-94.

  19. Hi,
    What do you recommend regarding person/entity paying for your trip for in-laws and brother in law. Should it be Self? If yes, what is the recommended balance?

    • MA,
      It should be the person, who will pay for the trip. If they are funding their trip, then it is self, if not…it is you… No hard fast rule, anything around 10K USD or more is better.

  20. HI,I am On h1b for last 4 months i want to call my parents to visit usa.before my parents got rejection 5 times at that time i was in india.now i want to call my parents.how much chances they have i am on h1b visa.what documents do i need send them and what documents they have to prepare please reply ASAP.

  21. Im looking for US B2 visa checklist for my parents and in laws. Im on H4 and my husband is on H1. My parents work for Karnataka govt. What could be checklist required. Kindly help me on that.
    Appreciate help

  22. Hi Admin,

    My husband is on H1B which is under extension process and I am on H4 dependent visa.
    I want to invite my sister and nephew to US on B1/B2 tourist visa for three months.
    My sister is separated and has one year old son.
    Currently where she is working is not providing any salary slips and only cash in hand.
    She do have entries for last few months in bank pass book.
    In her passport also, his spouse name is not there but in nephew’s passport both parents names are mentioned.
    Will it impact visa approval chances?
    And if we should go ahead then what documents are required for visa interview?


  23. Hi Admin ,

    I am on h1b visa and I am planning to bring my wife and daughter on Tourist(b1/b2) visa. She can’t get the h4 visa as my h1b visa is already expired and extension is in progress. She is in India of now. So..
    1.Can she get the b1/b2 visa even I am on h1b?
    If yes, then what all documents are required for Visa interview?
    2. Will it make any impact on h4 visa if b2 visa get rejected?


  24. Hi Admin, Freinds,

    My in-laws are going for B2 VISA stamping interview with SELF SPONSORED mode, and mention to visit for 3 months, Currently I am in USA, My wife/kids will join me this month, and In-laws are planning to visit after few months

    1) Since they are on Self Sponsoring, Should I still send Invitation letter? If so they can mention as they will stay with us? ( all 3 months)?
    2) How much fund they need to show? (Only Savings Bank, FD ? or can they show even Mutual Fund, insurance/Investment/Retirement scheemes, Land/Property documents ?)
    3) Can they say they will stay with me (son-in-law house), eventhough they are on self sponsoring?
    4) Should they carry all originals for above documents? (Bank statements, FD kinda of single document, whereas land, property documents are typically 50-60 pages minimum)

    Please suggest on this, thanks in advance

    • 1. Yes, you should. Because, the reason to come to US is to visit you guys right ?
      2. There is nothing given by them, enough to cover the trip and expenses. Usually around $10K to $20K
      3. Yes.
      4. If possible, they should. If it is too big, no need to…They all are supporting documents for showing ties, that’s it..

      • Hi Kumar,
        1) Do we need to anything about return ticket (As ticket can’t be booked before interview)
        2) My in-laws documented proof of property income per month basis (comercial building rent), that can be shown as proof right?
        3) Can they mention as they also visit their friends place during their visit?

        Thanks in advance

        • uthar,
          1. No need of anything. Just indicate plans.
          2. Yes, it can be. It is all supporting documentation for income and ties, so does not hurt. But, there needs to be liquid cash as well.
          3. They may, but may not sound compelling enough. The primary purpose is to visit you all right, so best to stick to that…

          • Hi,
            My parents have applied for a self sponsored B2 visa. Their DS-160 applications mention that they will be travelling together (spouse details).
            Under UStraveldocs, should we create separate applications for scheduling appointment and fee payment for both parents? Or can I add my mom’s details as dependent in my dad’s application? My dad is has been named sponsor in my mom’s DS-160 application.
            Thanks for any suggestions that you could provide!

          • Marsh,
            No need to have separate. If traveling together, you can add your mom’s details in dependent section in Ustraveldocs in your father’s account.

  25. Hello,
    I am on H1B living in US for few years. I sponsored my mother’s B2 visa which she got approved recently. She will be traveling first time to the US. I am going to India for vacation and planning to bring her along with me back to US.
    Do you think that officer at POE may object if I brought her along with me? is it ok if we both travel together at the same time or should we travel separately?

  26. Me and my parents are applying for my younger sister grad-walk. Regarding the bank statement, is there any preference of holding bank type like HDFC or some international banks rather than State Bank of India.

  27. Hi Kumar,

    I want to invite my parents (mother and father) to US. I am in US for three years now.

    1. Mother’s name in my passport is mis-spelled. Can the consulate have any concern on this? Do they cross check the details on passport of person who is inviting (i.e. me) to the person (i.e. my mother) who is applying for?

    2. If #1 ans is yes, then I plan to invite my aunt as well. Certainly, none of my Aunt’s detail are on my passport. How do I invite her?

    Thanks – your post and comment section is very useful.

    • Sandeep,
      They may or may not look very closely…In my case, I had same issue and my parents got visa…
      To be clear, it is a visitor visa and they are giving visa based on those conditions and not being your mother…it is only for financial sponsor purpose, nothing more than that…so, should be fine…

  28. can I apply for B2 visa for my mother, before I am travelling to US on L1 visa. She will be visiting us in Dec 2019.

    Question 1 – Bank Account Verification/ Balance Status letter – Can I show my Indian bank statement and letter with heavy balance.

    Question 2 – For invitation letter and cover letter – How should I proceed.

    Question 3 – For Employement proof – I have offer letter from my employer with salary details in USA.

  29. DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)

    This was mentioned in the checklist. I believe we need to carry only the DS-160 Confirmation document. Please confirm.

  30. Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate

    For this, do we need to mention our employer location in US or client location where we work day to day?

  31. Thanks for compiling this list.
    ” When you are filling forms, there is a section on ‘Sign and Submit page’, you should put your name and sign it. There is nothing wrong in it. You are fine, just put in your name. You can check the DS-160 FAQs ( link above under fill out DS-160), it talks about it.”
    This is not completely accurate. We can sign the application only if the actual applicant is under 16 or is physically incapable of doing so. For parents, the best thing would be to put our name and details in the assisting party section. For the actual electronic signature(where you enter the passport number), I think it is better to use the applicant’s details.

    • Vikas, Thanks for suggestion. You are right, it is not fully clear. I definitely meant that it has to be filled by someone ( either son, daughter in US) under third party section, if they are not filling out the application or illiterate and help them click the submit. I have re-phrased it to reflect the same. Please review again and suggest, if it is clear now.

  32. Hi Kumar,

    Please help me with the below queries.

    1) If I’m not sure whether I did the right way of applying for a B1 / B2 visa interview as I tried to club my father-in-law and mother-in-law applications, is there a way to cross check the steps that I did in US travel docs. The Group Scheduling Request tab doesn’t show anything clearly.

    2) What is Group Scheduling Request and what should we fill under Group Name?

    3) I have Already scheduled Biometrics and Visa interview for my in-laws. To the same interview slot, along with them would I be able to schedule for my Parents so that all of the 4 members can go as one group?

    4) If we reschedule the interview, do we need to make fee payment again?

    5) From the three options listed here, which one should I select if the in-laws trip is only Tourism ?

    Travel Information – Purpose of Trip to the U.S. – Temp. Business Pleasure Visitor (B)
    Specify –
    a) Business & Tourism (Temporary Visitor) (B1/B2)
    b) Business/Conference (B1)
    c) Tourism/Medical Treatment (B2)

    • You can only do group appointments, if there are more than 10 or 10 people at least. You can do it as family. They if they are visiting to visit you, it would be B2 option C.

        • I already gave the answers….anyways…
          1. you cannot do it if less than 10 applicants
          3. You may try adding as family. Call customer service, if you cannot or need help.
          4. No.

  33. Hi
    I am applying visa for my parents in DS-160 form there’s a question Intended length of stay in us what should I fill in that area?please let me know

    • It is the same process as described above, no different, if green card holder. Just that you would send green card info, instead of H1B documents.

  34. Hi Kumar. I am 10 yr free card holder and by next year I plan on bringing my parents here in the USA. My husband will be the primary sponsor for everything. My one big question is do they look for police clearance or will the immigration finds out that a person has a pending case (child abuse) it was 18 years ago. Will it be a ground to denial of entry? Thank you

    • Well, frankly I don’t know…In general, visa issuance for your parents has no direct relationship with your pending case…If you are worried, talk to an attorney…

  35. Hi,
    The documents which we will be sending to our parents, how recent it should be? Like employer letter and Bank Letter. ? Can it be within 60 days? or Sooner than that?

  36. Hello kumar, My elder brother is on H1 visa and studying in the USA since 2 years and is graduating this December so he wants to submit embassy letter request form to his university so can you please tell me before how many months from the convocation can he submit the letter request form to his university? And please tell me what documents do I need to collect for the visa interview I’m studying and undergoing internship right now so please tell me regarding this.

    • You can apply for visa stamping up to 3 months before your travel date. Once your Brother has the convocation letter ready, you are good to go. The process is same as described above. But the main thing is that you will need to sponsor your trip as he is a student. That’s it. He will need to send our all his current visa, I-20 and convocation details, then you apply or Visitor visa using the same. Process is same as above…

  37. Hello,
    My sister is sponsoring B2 visitors visa for my mother. I too live in the US. Do I need to send my Green Card copy too for the visa sponsorship documents or is my sister’s GC itself stufficient.

  38. Thank you, Kumar for the detailed information. This is very helpful. Could you please answer the below questions?

    1) Does the process of filling the visa petition starts with filling DS-160 form?
    2) Can we book the appointment first and start gathering the documents as appointment dates were far off?

    • 1. Yes, assuming you have passport.
      2. No, you need the number generated from DS-160 to book appointment. Completing DS-160 does not mean anything, you can use that to book appointment. You can also fill out another DS-160, if anything changes.

      • Hi Kumar,

        While filling the DS-160 form for my Parents-in-law, I came across the below questions, could you please clarify assuming their travel purpose is for Tourism.

        Travel Information – Purpose of Trip to the U.S. – Temp. Business Pleasure Visitor (B)
        Specify –
        1) Business & Tourism (Temporary Visitor) (B1/B2)
        2) Business/Conference (B1)
        3) Tourism/Medical Treatment (B2)

        Q: Among these three which option should we choose 1 / 3 ?

        Is the address of the party paying for your trip the same as your Home or Mailing Address?
        Yes/ No (Options on the form given)

        Q: Should we answer Yes assuming they are asking in-laws info where would they stay in the US as Home or Mailing Address?


        • Do we need to book the flight tickets now if we are planning for our in-laws trip to the US in the first week of November as I do not see any slots up until October for Visa interview?

        • It is 3 as they are there for Tourism only.

          You have look at it from the perspective of your in-laws right ? So, if you are paying for the trip, it is not same because your address is different from their address. So, choose accordingly depending on who is paying for the trip.

          • Thank you, Kumar, for the quick revert. I’m paying for the in-laws trip, in which case I should select as No option as my address in US is different than their’s in India.

  39. Hello kumar,

    I am applying B2 visa for my mother, due to some reasons i cannot apply for my father. Will it be a good idea to get a letter from my father explaining why he is not
    applying ? If so is there any template for that


  40. Hi am on green card now and I would like to invite my mum who is 48 years to come and help with the kids.what do I do

    • You can follow the above listed process, there is no separate process for Green Card holders inviting visitors, it is the same.

  41. Hello,
    My father and mother are travelling to US in July to see me and my husband. My father is taking the responsibility of booking the tickets for both of them. As this is a self sponsored trip, apart from my parents documents, what other documents do we need to send from US apart from Invitation letter ?

  42. Hi, I moved to US 6 months back on H4 and now working on EAD for 3 months. My wife has been here for past 3 years. Am planning to get my parents here for a vacation. So can we send invite letter, letter to consulate,etc with both our(me and my wife) names as sponsors or just my wife’s name would be sufficient ?

  43. I have scheduled my parent’s visa interview. I am sending all the checklist documents with DS160, fee receipts etc to my parents. my question is, when does all documents get checked by USCIS / Visa officer ? during visa interview ?

  44. Hello
    I would like to bring my mother to US and she is over 68 years old. Earlier she visited US with a B2 visitor visa that was valid from 2009 to 2019. What are the steps she need to follow for re-applying or extending her visa.

    • You could…it is up to the Visa officer though as it does not say anywhere that you need to have money for 6 months or so…All they validate is that, if there are funds for travel and expenses.

  45. Sir my husband is going to fill DS 160 for my parents. We both are US citizens. I would like to know what additional documents we would need apart from the additional documents.

    Sir what is I 797 and do I need to fill that..?

    • I-797 is not applicable for you both as you are US Citizens. You just send copies of your US passports to them, that should be sufficient.

  46. I am trying to get my mother when my baby come, do you think it is a good idea to have a doctors letter attached to it?


Leave a Comment