Arrivals and departures of foreign citizens to US at Port of Entry is tracked by I-94 form. It used to be a physical form in the past until April 2013. Now, the arrival & departure info of foreigners arriving in US is fully automated and captured electronically without need for filling out a physical form at airports and seaports, except land entry points. Read full info on What is I-94 form, importance, used for ? Below you will find how to retrieve I-94 online and common FAQs on I-94 form.
How to check for I-94 Online ?
I-94 form can be checked online at DHS.gov Website. Check out Sample Electronic I-94 retrieved online using below steps.
Step by Step guide to Check I-94 form online
- Step 1 : Visit CBP DHS.gov I-94 Website
- Step 2 : From the navigation menu, select the Get Most Recent I-94 menu item as shown below in screenshot.
- Step 3 : You will get a pop-up asking for consent and a big disclaimer indicating that you are entering a US Govt website and cannot do anything wrong and the will monitor it. You need to click on Consent and Continue as shown below.
- Step 4 : You will need to enter your personal information as it appears in your passport. The details that you need to enter are listed below. You need toenter the details as it appears on the passport that you have your valid US Visa. If you have multiple passports, with your Valid US Visa in Old Passport, then you will need to enter the old passport details. If you have used a APC Kiosk on B1/ B2 Visa , you would have scanned the same old passport with valid visa stamping on it, you need to use the same passport details to print your I-94 form online. Sometimes, the old passport details may not work, then you need to enter the current passport that is valid. Once you enter the below details, click on Next as shown below.
- First name : Your Given Name or first name as it appears in your passport with valid US Visa.
- Last Name : It is your family name or surname that appears in your passport with valid US Visa.
- Birth Date : it is your Date of Birth as it appears in your passport with valid US Visa.
- Passport Number : This is the passport number of your passport with valid US Visa. If it does not work, then you enter the current passport number that is valid.
- Passport Country of Issuance : Country where your current passport was issued. It is not always same as the country of citizenship. This would be listed on your passport, check and enter the same.
- Step 5 : Once you click on Next, you will get your Electronic I-94 Online. It will look like below. It has all the details on validity, number, etc.
What is your I-94 Entry Status ?
I-94 entry status corresponds to the class of admission you have used to enter US. It is basically the visa type you have used to enter. In the above image, you can see it as B1 and listed under “Class of Admission” .
What is I-94 Number or I-94 Card Number ?
I-94 Number or Car number is the ‘Admission Record Number’ that is generated by the CBP system for tracking your arrivals and departures. It used to be the physical form number in the past. This number is used by other agencies to validate your status in the US. Check above image for example. Also, you can check out Samples of I-94 Arrival Departure Cards Stamped by CBP
What is I-94 Issue Date ?
The date you arrive in US is the I-94 Issue date. It is usually printed on the I-94 electronic form online as the ‘Most recent Date of Entry’ as shown in the above image
What is I-94 Expiration Date ? How to check validity of I-94 ?
When you arrive in US, depending on the visa type you use to enter, you will be given a date that you should exit America, that date is called I-94 expiration date. On the electronic I-94 you will see that date under ‘Admit Until Date’. If you do not apply for extension or do anything, you need to depart US by that date. Check above image for example.
What does Admit Until Date : D/S mean ?
If you enter US on visas such as Student Visa(F1 visa), you will not have an end date or admit until date that is tied to a specific date. DHS would list Admit until date in such cases as D/S and it means “Duration of Status”. D/S means that you can stay in US as long as you maintain your status of your class of admission. So, if you are on F1 student status, you can continue to be in US on student status as long as you maintain your student status and you do not have a defined particular day to exit US. You can check more on US Visa vs Status Difference
What if you get status I-94 Not found ? Cannot find I-94 Online ? No Record Found For Traveller ?
Sometimes you may get status such as “I-94 Not Found” or an error saying “No Record Found for Traveller” or any such message as shown below, it all means that you cannot find I-94 online for your details. First you need to check the below, if you cannot find your I-94.
- Double check, if you entered all your details from your passport correctly such as first name, last name, date of birth, Passport issue country and passport number ?
- If you have multiple passports with your valid US visa in Old Passport, then you should try changing the Passport details from the US visa passport to your current passport or the passport that was in between your old and current.
- If you have entered all your details correctly and still cannot find information online, then you need to get your information corrected by visiting a Deferred Inspection Site.
How to do I-94 Correction Online ? How to fix your I-94 Not Found Online Issue ?
Unfortunately, you cannot correct your I-94 details online. You will need to visit a Deferred Inspection Site to get your I-94 Corrected. There are about 70 Deferred Inspection Sites across US and they will help you fix your I-94 Errors or Not found issues. Sometimes, at Port of Entry, CBP officers also suggest you to go to Deferred inspection sites to get your I-94 fixed, there are any issues with their online system. The officers at Deferred Inspection sites can help you fix the issues of I-94 not found or wrong info on your I-94 regarding your status, biographical info, etc. You should visit a Deferred inspection site close to the place, where you live or your final destination and not at the port of entry. You should schedule an appointment at the deferred inspection site by calling them. Check the list of Deferred Inspection Sites, to get your I-94 corrected, they have the operating hours, phone number and address.