US Visa valid on expired Passport enter US

Enter US with Valid B1/B2 Visa in Expired Passport ? Other Visas ?

In Immigration| Visas by Guest Author3 Comments

I was traveling to US after 4 years with my B1/B2 visa, which was valid, but in expired passport. I did a lot of research to ensure I do not have issues at Port of entry (POE). Thankfully, I recently entered US using the same valid B1/B2 visa in old expired passport, successfully without any issue. Thought it was worth sharing with everyone.

Background Info : I had valid B1/B2 visa of type regular ( R ) from 2012 to 2022 and it was in old expired passport that got expired in 2013. I got a new passport in 2013. My old and new passports are from India and of same type ( regular ). The B1/ B2 US visa in old passport was in undamaged condition.

What is the rule of any Valid US Visa in Expired passports ? US Dept. of State Rule ?
It is very straightforward, you can enter US using the same US visa, as long as it is valid and your passport issuing country are same, including the passport type.  This rule applies to all types of visas, including B1/B2 visa. Below is the exact rule taken from US Department of state.   It very clearly tells that you do not need to go for new visa stamping, if the visa in expired passport is valid and in good condition without any damages.  The key thing is that you will need to carry both your passports.B1 B2 US Visa in Expired Passport - Can you enter America

Does Airlines Travel Desk issuing Boarding Pass check it ?
Yes, when you at the airport in your home country, usually someone at the travel desk, who issues your boarding pass or before that the security officer will check your US Visa and ask for the same. So, you are basically screened at first place itself.

Did the CBP officer at Port of Entry ask any questions on this Expired Passport or Your Visa  ?
Not really. The CBP officer did not really ask me anything about my old passport. I gave him both the passports and he checked for himself and stamped the new passport with the entry date on it.

Is there any reason to be worried, if you are traveling with expired passport and valid US visa ?
Honestly, I was kind of nervous leaving to US after 4 years for a conference with my new passport. Though, I did my research, I was kind of thinking in my mind, if there will be any questions at port of entry on the topic. I was just thinking if the system would recognize my passport and visa, etc… I was asked only few questions as listed below, but none of them related to visa validity or passport.

  • Where are you traveling to ?
  • What is the purpose of your visit ?
  • How long will you be in US?
  • Where do you currently live ?

Where can I check the official rule on US Dept of State Website ?
You can check under “Visa Validity” section at US Dept of State website for official information and updates, if any. I always recommend checking US Dept of state website as visa rules can be subject to updates very often and the above information may change anytime.

Overall, though I had some questions in my mind, until I got to Port of Entry, there is nothing to worry as long your US visa ( not just B1/B2 visa) is valid and in undamaged condition in same kind of passport given from same country.
What was your experience entering with valid US visa in Expired Passport ? 
You may read B1/ B2 US Visa Stamping Experience 
Thanks to Bhaskar for sharing his experience

Related Articles

Comments ( 3 )

  1. susan mullins

    Hi, My name is SUSAN MULLINS and i just want to share my experience with everyone. I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking guy called JOSSY . he is really good at what he is doing. Back to the point, I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Exist. They told me Yes and that its a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions.. Four days later i received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine close to me, to my greatest surprise It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $3000 . This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life. So far i have being able to withdraw up to $48000 without any stress of being caught. there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software. it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you i don’t know why i am posting this here, i just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. blank ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email address [email protected]

  2. Vinay

    Last time when my mom visited US, she had her VISA in her old passport. We presented both old and the new passport and they had no issues letting us in.

    And if you see, the new passport has the old passport’s number in it. And I believe all this would be automatically updated in their systems???

    Finally what matters is whats shown in their system. If its all green for them, they most probably will let us in, unless they have something to suspect.

    1. administrator

      Yes, that’s right, it gets updated in their system with the new passport number. In fact, you can check that online. I will cover that in an article.

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.