Home » US Immigration - Visas » US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends, either during graduation time, after they start working in the US, or if they are expecting a baby, is “What is the process to apply for a visitor or tourist visa(B2 visa) to parents to come to the USA? What documents do I need? How do I start ?”

The below article covers the step-by-step process to apply for a B2 visitor visa for parents or family members, including sample documents and templates.

Basic Requirements: Passports,  Funds for US Trip, Documents

The two most important things you need to plan before applying for a visa are passports for your parents and the funds required for their travel to the US.

Getting Parents’ Passports

  • The first step before you plan the B2 Visa is to apply for a passport for your parents if they do not have one. 
  • Depending on the country, the time to get a passport can vary. Consider the time to get the passport when you plan the overall time to get a B2 Visitor visa for them.
  • For example, if you are from India, in the past, it used to take 3 to 6 months; now, with outsourcing to companies like TCS, you can get a new passport in a little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes, such as Tatkaal, where you can get it in less than a week. If it is an emergency, you can get your passport within seven days, but you have to pay an extra fee for Tatkaal.

Bank Savings for Sponsorship

  • If you are paying for your parents’ trip, you need to have enough funds secured for the same.
  • There is no official guidance on how much money you need to have in the bank account from the US Department of State. They say the applicants must have enough funds to pay for the trip.
  • You can do a ballpark estimate of the expenses that your parents might incur based on flight tickets, local travel, etc., and come up with an amount you think makes sense.
  • As a rule of thumb, a good amount totaling up to $10,000 Dollars or more to cover their expenses would be ideal to have in the bank account.
  • It is advised to start saving for the same three months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting it in the bank. Again, there is no hard-and-fast rule, just some general guidance.

Also, it is important to secure all the relevant documents about your status in the US as they would be important for the process. Let’s look at them below.

Employment Letter from your Company or Graduation Letter

When you invite your parents or family, one of the things that a US Consular officer would look at is your current US Visa status and supporting documentation for the same. You may need to get a different set of documentation based on your status as an employee working in the US or a student studying in the US.

Below are the two main options based on your situation:

Working in the US on a Visa (H1B, L1, OPT, Green Card) – Employment Letter

If you are working on a work visa, you need to get an employment letter from your current company verifying that you are working in the US on H1B, L1, or other visa, including Green Card, OPT or STEM OPT. This is to make sure you are in good standing in the US and are getting paid to support the travel of your parents.

Depending on the company, your company may ask for details of your parents or their passport copies and directly address the employment verification letter to the consulate. There is no rule or format given by the US Consulate. You are free to use what your company gives. Check the sample templates section at the end of the article, if you want a sample. All they care is if you are employed and in good standing.

The employment verification Letter should have information like when you joined them, what role you are working in, and how much salary you make. Some employers are quick, and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

International Student on F1 Visa – Graduation Invitation

If you are an F1 international Student inviting your parents for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like your F1 Visa copy, I-94 copy, I-20, and Graduation invitation letter to your parents. This would act like an invite as well as supporting documentation for them.

Step-by-Step Process for Parents’ US Visitor Visa (B2)

Below are the various steps that you can follow to apply for a visitor visa for parents. Some of these can be done in parallel, but below is a general step-by-step guide.

Step 1: Complete DS-160, Book US Visa Appointment

Before booking your parents’ US Visa stamping appointment, you must fill in Form DS-160, which is nothing but the online Nonimmigrant US Visa application form. Make sure you have scan copies of their passports before you start the process to avoid issues. Sometimes, your employer may also ask for the same for documentation.

Complete Form DS-160 Online for Parents   

Unless your parents are well educated and have all the facilities, such as a computer with internet access, etc., they may not be able to do DS-160 on their own. It would be better if you fill it out for them and then declare the same at the end. It saves a lot of pain for your parents to fill it out without any mistakes.

Important Info to know before you fill out Form DS-160 Form for Parents

  • Separate DS-160 Forms: You must create separate DS-160 application profiles for every visitor visa applicant. If you invite both your mother and father, you must create two DS-160 Profiles online separately for your parents.
  • Creating Family Member DS-160 from the Thank you page: When you are filling out the first DS-160 form for the first family member, at the end, when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to “Thank you” page and on that page you will have the option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • Required info to Fill DS-160 form: You will need a lot of information like education details, work history, identification info, etc. We have compiled the entire list of required items for DS-160 and tips to fill the same. Read the article: Documents Needed to Fill out DS-160 Form, to get an idea.
  • Filling up the DS-160, Declaration: If you are filling out forms on behalf of your parents, at the end of the completion of DS-160 form, there is a section that reads ‘Sign and Submit page’, you should fill out your details as a third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You may check more info and discussion on sign and submit option.

Where to Fill out DS-160 online at the Official State.gov website

You should go to the Official US Govt State.gov website for DS-160 form Creation. Here is the link: US Govt ceac.state.gov Non-Immigrant Visa Application Website

  • If you have any questions, you can visit any of the below links to fill the DS-160 form.  

Once you complete the DS-160 form, next step is to pay the fee and book visa interview appointment.

Booking US Visa Interview Appointment, Native Language

You need to book a visa appointment at a US embassy/ consulate to get B2 Visa stamping to travel to the US. It involves paying fees, selecting a location, and interview language. Let’s look in detail.

  • US Consulate Location for Interview: Depending on your home country, there may be one or more locations in your country. You need to choose the US Consulate that is close to where your parents live. For instance, in India, each consulate has a list of states that they serve. Depending on your state, you need to select the respective Consulate. You can read US Consulates India – What states they serve, contact info.
  •  Parents US Visa Interview Language – Mother tongue vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, you should choose their preferred mother tongue or native language. Most of the US embassies around the world give you the option to choose the local language.
    • India Consulates – No Option to Choose Language in System: Starting from 2023 with the new system in place, in India, you do not have the option to choose the interview language such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. You will only get the option of English. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, then you can ask them to request a local translator at the US Consulate/ Embassy on the day of the interview. For India, depending on the consulate, some languages may not be available. So, it is important to attend the interview at a location that is relevant for your state. You can check US Consulates Contact Info, Served States for more info. You can email the consulate/ embassy beforehand to be sure as well.
  • Scheduling US Visa Interview: The US Visa interview appointment booking is handled by www.ustraveldocs.com website in most countries. Depending on your country, click on the country and choose the relevant website, where you will get the actual website that is used for booking the appointment. For instance, to book a visa appointment in India, you need to use the website USVisaScheduling.com.
    • You need to create an account and follow the process in there. You will be asked to pay the fee online for booking an appointment.
    • If you cannot pay online, you may need to go to the bank, pay it there, and get a code to use for booking an appointment.
    • You do not need two accounts, you can add your parents as family in the same account and book visa interview appointment.
    • If you are booking an appointment in India, you can read How to Create Account on USVisaScheduling.com

You can also read the complete guide apply for a US Visa Appointment for step-by-step process.

Step 2: Prepare for US Visitor Visa(B2) Interview, Documents

You will need to prepare and carry all relevant documents for the US Visitor visa interview for your parents. You will need to send them invite letters, sponsorship letters and other info. Let’s look at each of them.

Funds Proof – Bank Account Balance Letter, Sample

If you are sponsoring your parents or in-laws trip, you need to send the relevant proof to show that there are enough funds in your bank. While you can print out the Bank statements online, it is recommend that you go to your Bank and get a Bank verification or Bank Balance Statement Letter signed and stamped by the Bank officer.

Go to the primary bank, where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Depending on the bank, the process can vary.

For instance, at Chase Bank they do it instantly. For Bank of America, or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

Invitation Letter, Visa Officer Cover Letter, Other Documents

Below are the other set of documents that you will need to have ready for the visa interview, so that your parents or in-laws can show the same.

  • Invitation Letter: You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It supports your parents intent to come to the US and  you are inviting them to visit. You can get a sample template copy in the below section.
  • Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents. See the templates section below.
  • Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.
  • F1 Student Status Documents: If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.
  • (Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family-based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website
  • Sending Documents to Home Country: Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. It may cost you up to $60 USD.

Below is the checklist of B2 visitor visa stamping documents for parents.

Parents US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist

Below are the documents that Parents need to carry from their side

  • Passport
  • DS-160 Form Submission Confirmation letter
  • US Visa Appointment Confirmation Letter

Below are the documents parents need to carry related to their sponsor(son or daughter) in the US or if they would be staying with them.

  • Copy of work visa approval notice from USCIS ( H1B/ L1 Approval Notice Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, US Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  (Check How to get I-94 Online )
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from the last six months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of previous years Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if you are not working on visa )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist for in-laws

If you are sponsoring for your in-laws like mother-in-law or father-in-law, in addition to above checklist of documents, you need to include spouse’s details and documents as well along with the package.

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s US Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience of missing the documents of in-laws.

Additional Supporting documents by Parents for Visa Interview

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation. The below list of documents are intended to prove that they will return to home country:

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in the US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.

You may join our Telegram B2 Visa Community Group to ask questions or share your experiences.

Sample Document Templates for Parents US Visitor Visa

Below are some of the templates that you can use. Make sure you change the content to fit it for your situation.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template: You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Step 3: Attend Biometrics & US Visitor Visa Interview Appointments

Once you have all the documents ready, the next step is to attend the Biometrics appointment at a US Visa Application Center(VAC) and give biometrics on that required day. After the biometrics are taken, parents must carry all the documents listed in the above checklist and attend the visa interview on the respective date and time.

Having all the documents is essential, but the most important thing is to give your parents confidence and all the details related to you and what you do in the US so that they can answer the questions. You need to coach your parents to do well in the interview.

You can expect to see questions like the below for your parents in the visa interview.:

  • Who lives in the US? Son or Daughter?
  • What does your Son or Daughter do in the US?
  • Did they study in the US?
  • Where did they study?
  • What does your son or daughter do for work?
  • Which city do they live in?
  • Do you plan to settle down there or come back?
  • What is the purpose of your visit?
  • When do you plan to go?
  • When do you plan to return to India?
  • What is your son or daughter’s salary?
  • How long have your son or daughter lived in the US?
  • Do you currently work, or are you retired?
  • Do you get a pension? Have you paid taxes?

You can check out previous US Visitor Visa experiences at below links 

Step 4: B2 Visa Approval, Passport with Visa

If the B2 visa interview went well, your parents would be informed that their visa was approved and their passports would be collected. If the passports are collected, then they can expect the actual B2 Visitor Visa foil to be glued in their passport and delivered to their given address within a few days.

If your parents chose to pick up a passport, they could collect the same with the visa stamped in it. The approved B1/B2 or B2 Visitor Visa glued in the passport would look in the screenshot below.

Sample B1/ B2 Visitor Visa for USA
Sample B1/ B2 Visitor Visa for USA

If the visa were not approved, the consular officer would inform your parents and give them a piece of paper indicating the reason for Visa denial. One of the common reasons for visa denial for B2 visitor visa is 214(b). If your parents are unlucky, they can again reapply. You can read more on it at State.gov US Visa Denials reasons.

Hopefully, your parents get their US Visa in the interview. One last thing, before they go to the US, is to look at health insurance for their US Travel.

Health Insurance for Parents: After you get the US Visa and plan to arrive in the US, having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in the USA. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

Common FAQs

Are US Consulates in India doing B1/B2 visa interviews now for first-time applicants?

Yes, US Consulates in India are doing both in-person interviews as well as dropbox appointments for parents B2 visitor visas. There are no restrictions.

Are B1/B2 appointments open for the 2024 and 2025 year placeholder appointments or real?

All the appointments that are available on USVisaScheduling.com for 2024, 2025 and beyond are all real appointments. They are not placeholder appointments like in the past.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule.

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles


  1. Hi all,
    I and my husband both want to sponsor my parents together. In I-34 there is no place to put Joint income if we both ( husband and wife) want to sponsor together. Could you please tell me where we should put our joint income or is there any other way to do this ?
    Thanks for you help !!

    • I haven’t done this myself, but I think you need to submit 2 I-134s – one on your behalf and one your husband’s behalf. I searched about this online, and that’s what most of the responses were..

  2. Dear friends,

    My H1b get approved on April 2011. My husband is on F1 visa & we filed his COS H4 which is pending. I am planning to sponsor my Father & Mother-in-law. I have bank balance $10,000 (Chase $5000 + BOA $5000). My father & mother-in-law are retired government employee & getting their pension every month. They have enough bank balance and fix deposit in India. They have 3 child including my husband and two elder sister who are married and well set in India.

    Can anyone suggest me who can sponsor my parents?
    Me or they can become self sponsor as they have enough fund. or
    Is it possible two sponsor? like me and them self( father & mother-in-law)?

    • If the parents have enough funds, they can manage their own expenses; otherwise you can send the sponsorship form. I think it should be ok to say that they would be bearing flight charges but once they land in US, you guys will take care of the remaining expenses.

      • Hello Saurabh,

        I have a similar case where my parents are bearing the flight charges but its understood that my husband will take care of the expenses for their stay here. Thinking that this is equal to a self sponsored trip, they filled the same in DS-160 form.
        Now does this qualify as self sponsored trip? (my father has around 2 lakhs in his account) And in this case what documents do we need to send for their VISA interview ?

        • No, it is not self sponsored trip. It is not just flight tickets. Their stay in America, travel within US, etc are not included. To avoid confusion, select one and go for it…They do not tell exactly how much, but you should factor in all the amount needed for travel, tickets, living, etc. See above.

          • Thank you Kumar.

            So you think its best to submit documents required as per Self sponsored trip ? Also is invitation letter from my husband required here in this case, as the purpose of it is to verify that he will be bearing the expenses of my parents stay here ?

            Or do you think its better for my husband to send the necessary documents for a sponsored trip, although they filled DS-160 as Self ?

          • Well, all they care is there are enough funds to support the expenses for the entire trip. Depending on who work in US, it would be good to have them as sponsor and send their relevant bank statement, invite letter, etc.

  3. i am from india and my sister is in USA.shes a greencard holder.she will be graduating in sept so i am applying for tourist visa to attend her graduation. the problem is she hasnt got a job yet nor does she have any good balance.So my cousin brother whos a us citizen has agreed to sponsor my trip however even he doesnt have good money.His balance in his account is only 3000 dollars plus he has 3 kids who are dependent on him. He has a job as a manager and gets 50 thousand dollars per year. on the other hand i have a mnc job here, working for the past 4 years as customer service exectutive and have a salary of rs 30,000 per month..my interview is on 19th.I guess i dont have good papers. Any comments?

    also my cousin lost his passport and doesnt have a copy of his passport but by mistake he had mentioned in his invitation letter passport is enclosed? i dont know what to do? should i tell them that i dont have his passport.? hes a citizen and i have his photocopy of his Naturalisation certificate.

    also can you confirm if all the documents from sponsor side does it need to Notarised or not??

  4. Hi

    You have a wonderful site

    I just came to US in April 2011 on L1 visa and i now want to apply for my parents visa..I have managed to have saved > $10000 in my bank accounts . I have bank statements , paystubs etc and other documentation required. I intend to start the visa process now so that when I visit India in Oct 2011 for short visit I can schedule my parents interview . Though I intend to call them in Mar-Apr next year. I s the duration of my stay – 4 months good enough to start applying..?? everything else seems to be in place

    • As long as you have funds to sponsor their flight and stay, you should be fine. You should submit not only your bank statement, but also recent payslips to show your salary.

  5. Hi There,
    I am applying for my parents tourist visa. I have one question:
    Can me and my husband both can sponsor my parents together ?
    Can I sponsor my sister too with my parents ?

    Thanks for your help.

    • Yes, you both can sponsor it together and can sponsor your sister as well.

      However, each member of your family need to demonstrate strong ties to India to show that they would return to India after visiting you in US.

      • Hi Saurabh,
        In I-34 there is no place to put Joint income if we both ( husband and wife) want to sponsor together. Could you please tell me where we should put our joint income or is there any other way to do this ?
        Thanks !!

        • I haven’t done this myself, but I think you need to submit 2 I-134s – one on your behalf and one your husband’s behalf. I searched about this online, and that’s what most of the responses were.

  6. Hi all,
    I am willing to bring my parents(mom & dad) to US . I know I have to apply for B-2 Visitor Visa, and also I have to fill out the DS-160 form, but my question here is – do I need to fill 2 separate forms i.e, 1 form for mom & 1 form for dad , or is there any option to just fill 1 form for both of ’em.

    Please advice me on this,


    • Hi,
      You need to fill two seperate forms, one for Mom and one for your Dad. I had filled two seperate forms for my parents.


  7. Do i need to take a seperate DD for Application Fee(RS 6580) and Service charge fee(380).
    or combined DD of RS 6960 works.

  8. Hey kumar

    Hi!! I am a permanent residence here in NYC n I would love to invite my parent to visit , is it really necessary to send my tax returns forms along with my bank statements??? Please help!!!

    • If you are sponsoring their trip, then those documents show that you have funds to take care of their travel, boarding, leisure etc. That is why it is good to send those documents.

  9. Hello,
    I have a question. Can me and me wife both sponsor my parents for visitor visa? if yes then do we need to fill 2 separate i-134 forms?

  10. Hi,
    Me and wife both are working in US, should we both sponsor my parents visa, if yes do we need to separate 2 different I-134 from me and my wife?

  11. My parents went for visa interview last friday in Hyd, the interview went pretty good, but at end they interviwer asked for my Dad’s email Id and said “we need more details, please check your mail and respond”.
    He took both my mom and dad’s passport and gave a White Slip 221(g)

    Does anyone knows what does it mean ??

  12. Hi,
    I see that I-134 has some Exp:05/31/2011. I am planning visa date in june for my parents. Is this form valid to carry to visa consulate?

  13. Hi ,
    I see that I-134 have some Exp 05/31/2011. I am planning visa date in june for my parents. Is this form valid to carry in june to visa consulate?


  14. Hi,
    My parents visitor visa got denied in JAN 2011 at Mumbai consulate, my father is retired and my mother is a housewive, I am planning to reapply for them as my wife got a job here recently and have started working. Also earlier my father didnt mentioned about farm and property land he has… which might have led to 214B. My qns are –
    1. As in Mumbai consulate we need to submit all document 3 days before interview, should I also attach all property affidavits and other required things?
    2. In Invite letter to consulate should I mention about their earlier denial?

    Please help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sumeet Patil

    • 1. Yes
      2. I think there is a question in the DS 160 form that asks abou the past rejections. You need to mention past rejections as answer to that question. I don’t think you need to mention past rejections in the invitation letter (unless the letter format explicitly asks for it).

  15. Do my parents need 2 separate sets of documents for each of them , or shall i just send them one copy of all my documents ?
    They applying together.


    • Yes, I had similar doubt. Can anyone please help.
      Can I just make one set of all documents that needs to be submitted to Visa Office ? with course diff DS-160 and 134 for each parent.



    • Tariq /Satish,
      No, if they are attending for visa stamping together. For my parents, I have sent only one set of documents and they attended visa stamping together.

  16. Hi,

    I am planning to call my parents/in-laws as my wife is expecting. What effect will it be in the visa interview if I mention about my wife’s pregnancy. I can even get a letter from my Dr. Will the interviewer take the case lightly? Visa was denied in Feb this year for my in-laws also I didn’t mention about the pregnancy at that time.

    Anyone had experienced this before please share.



    • That’s one of the common reasons for several parents to come to US. If asked, your parents/in-laws can let the officer know about the reason. More than the reason the officer would be interested in knowing if they would return or not. So showing ties to India is really important when going for B1/B2 visas.

  17. hai,

    Iam in usa from feb 2008 on R1 visa status , and my r1 visa will expire on 2013 ,iam still bachelor i dont want apply for green card because someone it will difficult to bring a spouse to US. so my question is..
    1) is their any wher the visa status can be renewed?
    2) can i apply for green card,if yes at what stage i can stop the process?

    thank u

  18. Im on h1b and looking to sponseer my mother. I have issue with Bank statements.
    I have the pay slip for the month of March 2011 however employer delayed to deposit amount in the bank. It was deposited in April. So in April 2011 i have two different deposit , one for March and other for April. However in Bank statements it shows that i dont have any deposit in the Month of March. Will it cause any trouble, Do i need to wait for more 2 months to accumulte the proper Bank statements.

    • More than bank statements, it’s the payslip that matters. Send both payslips and bank statements to your mother. If asked, your mother should show the payslips first and if the officer asks for bank statements then show them. If he asks about the discrepancy then she explain the reason.

  19. Hi,

    I got RFE for my H1b premium. When I checked with my employer, she said that it would take 2 weeks approx to have the RFE reached and based on the due date mentioned in the RFE they will process it.

    Even for Premium processing , RFE would take that much time for reaching the employer? Also, whether the due date mentioned on the RFE had relation with premium processing?

    • Yes, it may take 1-2 weeks for it to reach the employer. All documents are sent through USPS, and it may take 1-2 weeks depending upon how far office is from the service center.

      They typically give a month or two for the RFE to be responded.

  20. Hi, I am on H1B in US since June ‘2008. Now I want to sponsor my mother. Is my the Date of Birth certificate a mandatory document ?. Because I have one, but my mother’s name was written wrong. I am assuming that to prove the family relation… My passport & a Ration card (Government issued) were sufficient. I have also inquired about getting the new DOB certificate, but it would take way long process , bribes… etc, which my only mother may not handle.

    • DOB is not mandatory if there are other documents to prove the relationship. If VO asks for it, your mother can let him/her know that she doesn’t have it in her possession, and show your passport as alternate proof.

  21. I am in US on H1B visa since 15.11.2010. My parents, who wanted to come here for a short visit of 4 weeks, attended the visa interview. They have neither been granted nor rejected issuance of visa. Instead, they have been given a pink slip stating

    “We are unable to issue your visa at this time, as your case requires additional processing. Further, action on your case has been suspended under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and National Act until this processing is completed. Please be aware that this processing requires AT LEAST two months and we are unable to provide a more specific completion date. You are responsible for monitoring the status of your case via the US Embassy web using the case number given at the top of this page”

    I am unable to understand the implications of this letter. Grateful if you could kindly advise. The officer did not see the financial support papers sent by me from here

  22. I am on H1 here and want to invite my parents from India for a trip of 6-8 weeks.
    I have couple of queries:
    1. Do they require two differet HDFC slips?
    2. Will their interview happen on an individual basis or together?
    3. Do I need to mail I-134 form or can I email them the signed copy and they can take a print out of the same?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Richa,

      If you are inviting both your parents then you would need two different HDFC slips. One for each applicant.
      The interview will happen based on how you book. You can book interview for one of your parents and you have the option to add another person to the same schedule. This way they would go together.
      They need to carry the orignal I-134 with your signatures. Printouts don’t work, so these should be sent via physical mail.

      • Thanks You.

        I just found that surname is missing on my father’s passport.Should I fill all the docs according to the passport name i.e. only his first and middle name?Or should I use his full name and the authorities will take care of that.

        Anyways all other supporting docs like his financial statements,employment letter will be having his full name.

        • I have seen incorrect name in passport creating issues. Would recommend if you get the name rectified first. Surprised to see all supporting documents having correct names, were the same documents submitted for passport?

    • They need 2 separate HDFC fee and receipts. While taking appintment you have the option for adding family applicant and you can schedule same slot for both of them but the language of interview will be the same. I guess you can scan the signed I-134 and email that form, I sent all the docs by mail.


  23. Hey I have a question…what is the process as I am a phd student here and have 2 more years for graduation. what will be the process now to bring my mom to US?

  24. Hi,
    One more query, i have completed the DS160 form but i couldnt schedule an appointment in the VFS website…. it says

    “Please note that this is a busy season for travel to the U.S. and because of a very large volume of applicants scheduling appointments at this time, dates are quickly getting filled. We recommend that if you are unable to schedule an appointment after a few attempts, please try the system again after some time. We continue to schedule appointments for applicants every day, and we are working to accommodate as many applicants as possible.”

    I tried many times almost the entire day but i couldn’t fix the appointment….. What shall i do to fix an appointment?

    Please reply me at the earliest…
    Also request you reply for my previous query on Visa fees.


  25. Hi,
    I have paid HDFC VISA fees(Rs.6440 ) on 11th Nov 2010 at Chennai India. Now i am in US and i have completed DS160 form for my mother.

    It seems the Visa fees has increased to Rs.6580. Is my payment still valid? or do i need to take a DD for (6580 – 6440) = 140 ????

    Or what is the amount do i need to take DD? Is there anything that they can pay as cash at the time of interview in Chennai?

    Also i want to know about the Rs.380 fees? do i need to take DD for this amount other the HDFC fee?

    Please detail me about the fees ASAP…


    • As the receipt was issued before the price change, it will still be honored by the consulate. You don’t need to submit additional fees.

      Read the release from 30th Nov

      As for the appointment date, the best thing is to try at different times of the day and towards the end and start of the week (but it’s no surety).

  26. Hello,

    My Parents-In-Law had a bad experience on Feb-1 and were denied under 214(b).

    I was trying to evaluate what went wrong and guessed few points:

    1. I had given them a print out of all my info company, designation address etc. When the interviewer asked them they looked at the paper and answered. Was this not acceptable? They are elderly persons and can’t remember everything like us.

    2. My account balance was shown as $6.5k, was this insufficient?

    3. I am currently on L1 and in the US for only 9 months. Another employer had filed H1 for me and it was denied after an RFE on Jan 21. Was this also one of the reasons?(Wondering if they had this status with them.!)

    4. How long should I wait to reapply?

    Any other thoughts on the reasons?



    • Did the interviewer inquired about their Indian assets and their ties w/ India?

      214b is typically issued when the officer finds the interviewees to be potential immigrants i.e. they would not return back to India.

      • Hello Saurabh,

        No questions were asked about Indian assets/ties. The only question they asked was where are you going and to whom. My in-laws replied about me and other details by referring the document given by me.
        Asking no further questions they just denied the visa.


        • I can’t think of any other reason to issue 214b besides finding them potential immigrant. The right way would have been to ask your in-laws and then make the decision. However, at times it’s as per officer’s discretion.

          Let’s see if someone else has faced similar issue and found a resolution to it.

          • we faced the same issue..my husband sponsored my parents’ VISA but it was denied…the officer didn’t ask for ties / financial status in India..and gave a booklet with reason stated as 214(B) ..not sure..if this is one of the strong reasons then they should take such info on application form itself..

  27. Hi,
    I have couple of questions, can anyone clarify them!
    1. Do we have any Visa issuance fee after my parents get the Visitor Visa?
    2. Do I need to send 2 copies of all the documents, one for my Mom and the other for my Dad?
    Also, I am taking appt. for English language for both of them as my Dad can be the translator for my Mom, Please clarify!

    Appreciate help!

    • Hi Ramakanth,

      The only fees that needs to be paid and that is the one we pay at designated HDFC bank(Rs. 6580 + 380). There is no other fees once the visa is issued.

      You need to have a set of document for each visitor. In your case ‘yes’ both your mom and dad should carry their own sets.

      The best would be you choose your local language for your mom and then see if they agree for you dad being the translator. Why to take chances for small things. Play Safe.!


  28. Dear Kumar,

    I am indebted to you for providing such excellent piece of information at one place.

    One thing which is not clear to me is whether the original form I-134 (affidavit of support) duly filled and signed by son is to be sent to us in India or is it to be submitted by him the local office of USCIS and some kind of approval obtained from them. Grateful if you could clarify


  29. Hi,

    Very good article with great information.

    I have couple of things to ask. The link for I-134 doesn’t seem to be the correct, please see if it can be updated.

    Another question is, suppose I am currently on L1 and sponsor my parents, if all goes fine they get their visa stamped. Now in coming months if I shift to H1 and then my parents plan to fly, would there be any issue? If yes, how can this be handled?



    • Your changed visa will not raise additional questions for them during their visit. They just need to provide latest information about you (at the time of port of entry for example). Also, they should have your updated H1 documents (primarily copy of 797, your employer information)

      • Thanks Saurabh,

        The latest I-134 form is available on below link:

        If you look into this new form, the last para is for Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor. The second line in this para ends with (after “as amended.) sometheing that we need to fill. If we keep the mouse over the box, it shows “Enter Relationship”. I am confused what should we enter here. Can you please suggest.



        • I am not sure what needs to go in there – relationship from your side, or relationship from your parents side (i.e. Son or Father).

          any ideas?

        • Vijay, I used older version of the form. I just check the one I used and unfortunately, it does not have anything like that….I am not sure either.

          Just an idea, not sure if it would be correct. May be you can put in ” your name, son of father name”, to be clear…

          • Thanks Kumar.!

            Your suggestion seems to be fine. I read the para multiple times and assume that the first two lines which I acknowledge would be for the relationship I sponsor, so for eg. If I am sponsoring my mom/dad then I should write Son.
            I will try your idea, hope this does not hamper the stamping process.


          • Welcome ! Vijay, it is your discretion to use what you feel like…
            I think, you can always call USCIS or visit their office by scheduling an appointment using Infopass.

  30. Hi Kumar,
    Thanks for your help. Now i came to US and as i have mentioned about me in the previous comments.

    So i came here a month ago and i am planning to bring my Mother after 2 months as i can show 3 months bank statement.
    Is it mandatory that i should have stayed here minimum 3 months to bring my mom?
    I am planning to process her Visa in mid of FEB for the sake of 3 months or shall start processing now itself?

    Also i have started saving dollars in my account. Is it mandatory to have money only in Savings account? Because i currently have money in Checking account only.

    It seems i would get W2 forms from my employer in this month so i can wait for it and so would this document be supportful?


    • It doesn’t matter whether it’s checking or savings account, as long as it’s in your name.

      Legally, there is no requirement on how many years/months one needs to have stayed in US before inviting their parents. It’s all about whether you can take care of their personal expenses during their travel. So even 2 months should be fine in my opinion. Yes, having W2 is beneficial.

  31. Hi Kumar,

    I am quiet relieved when I read the sentence where its not a big deal if parents dont have a source of income or property /deposits. M case is similar. I am on H4 visa and my husband on H1. We r currently expecting a baby in May this year. I am looking forward to have my mother here. My mother stays with my older brother (unmarried) in India. She is 55 yrs old. She has been a homemaker, not well educated, no source of income, no property, no financial deposits. There is a small piece of land which is under my father (who passed away in 2007) name. The only thing she has is a gas connection in her name in the rented house they are staying now in India. My husband is planning to sponsor her visa and entire stay here. She is intending to be here mostly for two to three months during the period of delivery if everything goes well. I am worried if the consulate will reject her visa due to insufficient proof of ties back in India. Though the small amount of land is in my father’s name, the documents of the same is with my uncle (father’s brother) , whom we cannot expect to do things steadfast to transfer the property in my mother’s name, though my brother had requested to do it from the time my father passed away. It would take a infinite time and hence I am feeling all the more hopeless thinking if my mother will be able to get her visa.

  32. Hi,
    I am in US for last 1 yr in L1. My L1 expired in Nov. I have applied for I94 extension and just got the receipt.I m planning to bring my parents. Is it possible to sponsor my parents now or they can aplly for visitor visa.

    • Yes, they can apply for the visitor visa. Just make sure that you provide them w/ a copy of your L1 extension, which they can show to the interview officer or POE officer (in case the question arises).

  33. I am working on a H1B visa and plan to send the required documents for my parent’s visitor visa (B2) soon. As I am planning to transfer my H1B visa soon, will it cause issues if I am not working for the same employer (on the sponsorship documents) when my parents go for their visa interview?

  34. Hello Kumar:
    Great info!! Thanks.

    I would appreciate if you could please provide response to following questions.

    Since my parents would be applying visa from Mumbai have i need to prepare two sets of documents, one should go to my parents and other to US VFS (Point 11 of your Info) 3 days prior to date of their appointment?

    Thanks in advance
    Milan Shah

    • Milan, I meant that you just put a cover letter in point 11 stating what all you are enclosing, kind of like a check list for the Visa officer. It is not an extra set of documents…

  35. Hi Kumar,

    I am planning for getting visitors VISA for my parents. I have all the documents ready (latest) as mentioned by you.

    But my bank letter (which shows avg amt, balance etc) was taken on August 2010, Now my parents are going for interview by November first week. Will the bank letter be ok or do i need to get another one again ?

    Please clarify


    • Mohamed,
      I am really not sure what they exactly look for with respect to timing. My guess is, it must be fine…If you do have an option, preferably take a new one.

  36. Hi,
    The information in this web is very useful. I have a query.

    I have L1B Visa and i have been to US during the month of May 2010 and stayed there for 3 weeks only. Also i have SSN card. Now i am in India and my company is planning to send me again to US in couple of months. I want to take my Mother along with me to US.

    What is the possibility of getting VISA for my mother? What needs to be done to get VISA for my mother to travel along with me?

    Note: I am the one and only son to my parents and my father is working abroad in Singapore. My mother has a property of around Rs.50Lac on her name.

    Request you to advise me regarding this.
    What is possibility to take my mother along with me?

    • Sanjeev,
      Typically, if you were to be in US already, you could have sent her invitation letter and stuff like I have written in the article. I do not know if you can do that as you are in India now… Yours is an different situation….I am not a lawyer by any means….I think she can just apply for visitor visa B2, but just apply with her property and other cash balance just on her name. The trick is, she is actually coming on her own with her expenses to visit USA and you are not sponsoring her. Think of it as she is planning on vacation to US through some travel agents or travel plan.

    • Hi Kumar,
      Thank you very much for your reply. It is very useful and given me some confidence.
      But if she gets Visitor Visa B2, how long she can stay in US? is it 3 months or 6 months?
      Exactly my question, is there any difference in the Visa period for B2 Visitor Visa and Sponsored Visa?
      Correct me if am wrong minimum Visitor Visa period is 3 months, then is there any possibility to extend for another 3 months from US? If yes and if you know please share me details for extension of Visa for my Mother?

      It would great if you reply and give advise to all my queries.
      Thanks in advance.

      • Sanjeev, she can stay for 6 months or less…No, both are same and called visitor visa…the only thing difference is who is sponsoring for the stay in financial terms….Actually, visitor visa is typically given for 5 years or 10 years with Multiple entry…Again, it depends..I think, the minimum they would give is 6 months…..

  37. HI .

  38. What is the documentation for siblings visiting the US on a tourist/visitor visa?
    How long does it usually take to get a visa stamping for a tourist visa after the submission of the online application?
    Please advise.

    • I think it must be same… because it is a generic visitor visa. You actually schedule the date in consulate where you are going to….you should get the passport in a week or 10 days after Stamping.

  39. Really Nice post. Couple of questions –

    a.) Do I need to be in United States at the time my parents go for the Interview for Visitor Visa ? I am thinking yes, as otherwise, information provided in I-134 would become incorrect (particularly I-94 number). Please confirm.

    b.) Do my parents need to carry my original birth certificate when they go for appointment ? What are the alternatives if we don’t have one ?

    Please reply.

    • Krish,
      a) I am not completely sure. What you say makes logical sense though because I-94 would not be valid…You can call VFS, they might confirm…
      b) Not really. I did not send any date of birth certificate or anything. Your passport copies should suffice. I think, the key things are your employment letter, I-797, affidavit, bank statement to support them.
      Good Luck Krish !

  40. Hi,

    I just started working full time a month back and am working on OPT (F1 visa). I have no bank balances as of date ($2000).

    Should I sponsor my parents and sister or have them do it themselves?
    If the latter what should I send them from my side.

    Thanks in advance.

    • Well, you need to have some money in your bank indicating that you are the sponsor and can cover their cost. Based on the money in your bank account, it is probably a good idea for you to wait for couple of months and then sponsor or borrow some cash from friends and sponsor by yourself. Because you have a full time job, it is preferred that you be the sponsor. You would have to send all the documents listed in the article.

      • Thanks Kumar,

        I could borrow money, but wont I have to send a statement which would reflect that?
        Also what amount would you suggest (im sponsoring parents and sister)

        • Yes, statement would reflect that and you will send the bank statement too. But the point is, as you have full time job, I assume you will be fine….Well, you should have money in your account that equals to at least the cost of the whole trip for all the people coming to US and their expenses for traveling here in US too. You do the math.

  41. Thank you so much for your valuable post.

    I am looking for to invite my mother-in-law to USA.So is this same process do I need to follow or any extra check points I need to consider?

    Please advice me.


  42. really is a good way of knowing the information what we need..ireally helped by thz…nd thank u for thz information…

  43. This is indeed a well structured information. Thank you for posting this.

    I have a similar case. Parents donot own any property in India however they have some deposits.

    What are the chances of approval / rejection?

    • You are Welcome ! When my parents went for interview, they did not look at any documentation. Honestly, parents visa approval is guaranteed. Sometimes, if all the kids of parents are in US, then they may ask for additional ties back in India could be job or any other similar stuff. If parents are around 50s there should not be a problem.


Leave a Comment