Home » US Immigration - Visas » US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

US Visitor Visa(B2) for Parents – Process, Sample Documents

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends, either during graduation time, or after they start working in US, or if they are expecting a baby is “What is the process to apply for visitor or tourist visa(B2 visa) to parents to come to USA ? What documents do I need ? How do I start ?” . The below article covers the step by step process to apply for B2 visitor visa for parents or family members, including sample documents, templates.

Basic Requirements – Passports,  Funds for US Trip

The two most important things you need to plan ahead before you even apply for visa are passports for parents and funds required for their travel.

  • Parents Passports: The first step is to apply for passport for your parents, if they do not have one. Depending on the country, the time to get passport can vary, so factor in that time in your entire US visa application process for their B2 visa. For example, if you are from India, in the past it used to take 3 to 6 months, now with outsourcing to TCS, you can get passport in little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes of Tatkaal, if it is emergency and you can get you passport as soon as 7 days, but you have to pay extra fee. Check out the passport application website for details. You may read our article on applying for Passport Renewal in India, it can give some idea.
  • Bank Savings for Sponsorship: You need enough funds for your parents trip. Make sure you save some good amount totalling up to $10,000 dollars or more to cover their expenses. It is advised to start saving 3 months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting in bank. There is no hard fast rule. Just an advice.

Step by Step Process for Parents US Visitor Visa (B2)

Below are the various steps that you can follow to apply for visitor visa for parents. Some of them can be done in parallel, but below is a general step by step guide.

Employment Letter from your Company or Graduation Letter

When you invite your parents or family, one of the things US Consular officer would look at are your current Visa status and supporting documentation for the same. You may need to get different set of documentation based on your status as an employee working in US or student studying in US. Below are the details

Working in US on a Visa (H1B, L1, OPT)

If you are working on a work visa, you need to get an employment letter from your current company, verifying that you are working in US on H1B, L1 or other visa, including OPT or STEM OPT. This is to make sure you are in good standing in US and are getting paid to support the travel of your parents.

Depending on the company, your company may ask you for details of your parents or their passport copies and directly address the employment verification letter to the consulate. There is no rule that you need to have certain format. Check Sample templates section at the end, if you want a sample. All they care is, if you are employed and in good standing.

The employment verification Letter should have information like when you joined them and what role are you in and how much salary you make. Some employers are quick and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

F1 Student – Graduation Invitation

If you are an F1 international Student inviting your parents for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like F1 Visa copy, I-94, I-20 and Graduation invitation letter to your parents.

Complete DS-160, Book US Visa Appointment

Before you book US Visa stamping appointment for your parents, you need to fill in DS-160 form. Make sure you have scan copies of their passport before you start the process to avoid issues. Also, your employer may need them.

Complete DS-160 Form Online for Parents   

Unless your parents are well educated and have all facilities like computer with internet access, etc. they may not be able to do DS-160 on their own. It would be better, if you fill it out for them and then declare the same at the end. It saves a lot of pain for your parents to fill it out without any mistakes.

  • Separate DS-160 Forms : You will need to create separate DS-160 applications profiles for every individual applying for visa. If you are inviting both your mother and father, then you need to create two DS-160 Profiles online for your parents.
  • Creating Family Member DS-160 from Thank you page : When you are filling out the first DS-160 form for first family member, at the end when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to “Thank you” page and on that page you will have an option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • Required info to Fill DS-160 form : You will need a lot of information like education details, work history, identification info etc. We have complied the entire list of required items for DS-160 and tips to fill the same. Read How to fill out DS-160 Form, Documents Needed to get full idea.
  • Filling up the DS-160, Declaration : If you are filling forms on behalf of your parents, at the end in DS-160 form, there is a section on ‘Sign and Submit page‘, there you should fill out your details as third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You may check more info and discussion on sign and submit  option.
  • Fill DS-160 online at Official State.gov website : You should go to Official US Govt State.gov website for DS-160 form Creation. Here is the link : US Govt ceac.state.gov Website
    • If any questions, you can visit any of the below links to fill the DS-160 form.  

Once you complete the DS-160 form, next step is to pay the fee and book visa interview appointment.

Booking US Visa Interview Appointment, Native Language

You need to book visa appointment at US embassy/ consulate for getting B2 Visa stamping to travel to US. It involves, paying fees, selecting location and interview language. Let’s look in detail.

  • US Consulate Location for Interview : Depending on your home country, there may be one or more locations in your country. You need to choose the US Consulate that is close to where your parents live. For instance, in India, each consulate has a list of states that they serve. Depending on your state, you need to select the respective Consulate.
  •  Parents US Visa Interview Language – Mother tongue vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, you should choose their preferred mother tongue or native language. Most of the US embassies give you that option to choose the local language. For instance, in India, you can choose interview language  such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, it is better to choose native language rather than English, so that they are comfortable and communicate clearly when asked by Visa Officer.
  • Scheduling US Visa Interview : The US Visa interview appointment booking is handled by www.ustraveldocs.com website in most of the countries. Depending on your country, click on the country and choose the relevant website. For instance, for India, it would be www.ustraveldocs.com/in.
    • You need to create an account and follow the process in there. You will be asked to pay the fee online for booking appointment.
    • If you cannot pay online, you can go to bank, pay it there and get code to use the same for booking appointment.
    • You do not need two accounts, you can add your parents together as family in the same account and book visa interview appointment.

You can read Complete guide apply for US Visa Appointment for step by step process.

Prepare for US Visitor Visa(B2) Interview, Documents

You will need to prepare and carry all relevant documents for the US Visitor visa interview for your parents. You will need to send them invite letters, sponsorship letters and other info. Let’s look at each of them.

Funds Proof – Bank Account Balance Letter, Sample

If you are sponsoring your parents or in-laws trip, you need to send the relevant proof to show that there are enough funds in your bank. While you can print out the Bank statements online, it is recommend that you go to your Bank and get a Bank verification or Bank Balance Statement Letter signed and stamped by the Bank officer.

Go to the primary bank, where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Depending on the bank, the process can vary. Typically, Chase does it instantly. For Bank of America or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

Invitation Letter, Visa Officer Cover Letter, Other Documents

Below are other set of documents that you will need to have ready for the visa interview, so that your parents or in-laws can show the same.

  • Invitation Letter : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It legally supports your parents intent to come to US and  you are inviting them to visit. Download sample template copies below.
  • Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents. See templates section below.
  • Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.
  • F1 Student – Status Documents If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.
  • ( Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website
  • Sending Documents to Home Country : Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. It may cost you up to $60 USD.

Below is checklist of B2 visitor visa stamping for parents

Parents US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist

  • Copy of work visa approval  notice ( H1B, L1 – Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, US Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  ( Check How to get I-94 Online )
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from last 6 months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of previous years Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if you are not working on visa )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

US Visitor Visa(B2) Documents Checklist for in-laws

If you are sponsoring for your in-laws like mother-in-law or father-in-law, in addition to above checklist of documents, you need to include spouse’s details and documents as well along with the package.

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s US Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience missing the documents of in-laws.

Sample Document Templates for Parents US Visitor Visa

Below are some of the templates that you can use. Make sure you change the content to fit it for your situation.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Additional Supporting documents by Parents for Visa Interview

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation. The below list of documents are intended to prove that they will return to home country:

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.

Attend US Visitor Visa Interview, Sample Questions

Having all documents is important, but the most important thing is to give your parents the confidence and all the details related to you and what you do in US so that they can answer the questions. You need to coach your parents to do well in the interview. You can expect to see questions like below for your parents in the visa interview

  • Who lives in US ? Son or Daughter ?
  • What does your Son or Daughter do in US ?
  • Did they study in US ?
  • Where did they study ?
  • What does your son or daughter do for work ?
  • Which city do they live in ?
  • Do you plan to settle down there or come back ?
  • What is the purpose of your visit ?
  • When do yo plan to go ?
  • When do you plan to return to India ?
  • What is your son or daughter salary ?
  • How long have your son or daughter lived in US ?
  • Do you work or retired ?
  • Do you get pension ? Have you paid taxes ?

You can check out  some experiences like Parents US Visa Stamping Experience -Telugu  and  English Stamping Experience US Parents Visa  .

Hopefully, your parents get their US Visa in the interview. One last thing is health insurance.


Health Insurance for Parents : After you get US Visa and plan to arrive in US, having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in USA. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all  you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule.

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important  ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles


  1. Hi
    I have USA B1/B2 visa which expires by july 2012.We have travelled to USA for 4 times since our visa stamped ten years ago.What is the orocedure for renewal of visa.

    • Jagdish Tangi,
      You will have to complete DS form, then schedule visa interview date and finally appear for B-1/2 visa interview. You can get the process details on VFS website.

  2. Hi Saurabh,
    My h1b was filed on 16th November 2011(Not sure of the Processing centre)but should be California. It was filed by my Company(Indian MNC), And they have the policy of not sharing the receipt number also.

    1)I did my BE in computer science in the year 2009, and total work exp is 2 years, and i did some certifications of REDHAT. So what are the chances of approval, Can the work exprnce be the obstacle in the Approval.

    2)And when can i expect the approval, assuming that it was filed at california centre.

    • Rajesh,
      1. Cannot comment as it varies from case to case
      2. They are currently processing Nov petitions, and it should be processed anytime now (next few weeks)

      • Hi Saurabh,

        As per the update from my employer, i have received RFE on my application on 7th march.
        The employer says that they will receive the Notice of RFE within 30 days of getting the RFE.
        Saurabh is it common to get the RFE on fresh H1 applications, or is there any thing worrying as i submitted all the docs related. Client letter,Resume,Degree,Marksheets,Last Six months salary slip etc.
        what might be the reason of getting the RFE. Thanks in advance as this RFE is really troublesome.

        • Rajesh,
          RFE can be raised for various reasons, which can be as trivial as missing signature to more complicated like EE relationship etc. You will know more when the employer receives the notice.

          • Hi Saurabh,

            When can i expect the notice of the RFE as it was raised on 7th march 2012. Is it like that the processing will be slower now as the cap for 2013 is getting opened?

          • Saurabh,
            When i asked my employer they are saying that it usually takes 30 days time period. Is something unusual this time, as most of the people from the employer side are getting RFE, and all were filed for the same client.

          • Rajesh,
            30 days is on the higher side, but most of them are received within 1-2 weeks. They might have been issued the same RFE. If your employer has filed 10 H-1 petitions for same client, USCIS can become suspicious if the employer is re-using the same open position for multiple filings. Does the client really has so many openings?

  3. Saurabh,

    My current H1B is expiring in May 2012 and I wanted to process B2 for my parents. When I talked to the visa agent, he wanted me to mention that my visa is expiring and the employer has applied for extension (but dont have the receipt yet) in the letter to consulate.

    Do you think it is wise to mention in the letter that the visa is expiring shortly? I just dont want the consular officer to ask more questions regarding my visa expiry in the near future, by me mentioning explicitly in the document. Rather i would want him/her to verify by looking at the I797. What is your thought?

    • Narayan,
      Does your employer plan to file for extension, if yes then when?

      I don’t think B-2 approval is tightly linked to H-1 term. H-1 is usually issued for 1-3 years, but B-2 is issued for 10 years. So the officer approves it for a duration well beyond your current H-1 expiration date. So it may be ok to go for B-2 visa stamping w/ current visa stamp and petition, and if the VO asks then they reply that employer plans to file it before petition expiration. If your employer has filed the extension, then you can send a 797C copy. It is never advisable to lie to the VO especially on a document.

      • Thanks Saurabh. My employer has already begun the extension process however I know that the case is not yet filed with CIS. I am sure that they will do it well before my petition expiry.

        My question earlier was, should I mention in the letter that the visa is expiring in near soon and extension is in progress OR can i just leave it as such without any mention of the expiry? Extension is in progress, it is not a lie and not my intention either to put something with VO that is not correct..

        In fact, by the time my parents go for stamping (probably around end of March), I may get the extension receipt notice itself, but not sure though.

        • Narayan,
          You don’t need to mention anything about your visa expiration in the letter. If the VO asks anything about it, then your parents can reply that extension is in progress.

  4. Hi,
    1) Can we send I 134 documents through scan or they have to be in original signature.
    2) Does I 134 have to be printed back to back or in two different pages?


    • SN,
      1. Scanned copies should be fine, but I am not sure
      2. Most of the USCIS documents I have seen are printed on separate pages, and you can use the same convention.

      • Thanks, Saurabh
        My cousin, works as a primary teacher, and her son’s (10th) visiting visa got rejected y’day. The officer did not take or look any of the documents we sent as a sponsor-er, even I-134. Just asked few questions to both of them, which they answered confidently.
        1) Can they go for visa again in 3-4 weeks from now with same papers?
        2) How long the sponsor documents are valid?
        3) Her son is 15 years old and does he have to take separate appointment or family appointment will do.
        4) What could you think the reason would be for visa rejection?

        Thanks for your help

        • SN,
          Can you mention what questions were asked during the interview?
          1. Yes, they can but they need to show more information that they are not potential immigrant.
          2. I don’t know, but I assume they can be used it over next couple of months at least
          3. Family appointment will do and he can go w/ his parents
          4. Most common reason for rejection is that they might have found them found them potential immigrant.

  5. hi , my parents had their interview yesterday at US consulate delhi for b2 visa. there visa was rejected last year under ( social ties). but this time everything went smooth , but at the end the VO kept the file in which my parents had kept all the documents including i797 , i134 , pay stubs etc etc. and my parents were told that they want to check something and took their passports , n also told them that their file and passports will reach them through courier. vo didnt mention anything else, whether approved or denied. so i m so confused . what could be the reason of keeping the whole set of file , and will the visa be granted? also hw can i check?

    • Nikki,
      You can track using the passport numbers on VFS site. However, there is no set timeframe for their processing. I am not sure why they kept the documents, but it might have been to do additional background check on them and the sponsor i.e. you (just a guess).

  6. Hi

    I am a F1 student in USA and want to get marry to a Indian guy who is working in MNC as a software engineer. Do i have any chance to invite him to USA and if i have a chance then what is the process. I heard from my friends that i can call him as a dependent is that true and i also heard that the rules have changed in dependent visas that a dependent can work in USA legally. So can you please explain how can i do the process.

    • Riya mohd,
      If you are referring to inviting him after the marriage, then he can join you on F-2 dependent visa. Until then, he will have to use B-1/2 (visitor’s visa). At the moment, dependents cannot work in US.

      • Hi saurab,

        Thank you for replying. Yes i want to invite him after marriage.I have heard that getting a f2 visa is impossible because i will be on f1 visa and there is no earnings from my side .so, what type of financial documents he will show to the consulate. Then will he get a visitors visa for sure.

        • Riya mohd,
          A person on F-1 visa will generally not have any earnings as they would be most likely be on financial aid. In that case, no one can get F-2 visa and they can get rid of that visa itself. However, that visa exists and one can apply for it. Yes, you will have to show how you both will be able to support each other during the course. If you are getting financial aid or are working on CPT, OPT then that would help. If he has assets that would add to the pool of resources, then what would help as well.

          If he goes for B-1 visa, then the maximum tenure for each B-1 trip is 6 months, and staying to the maximum limit often causes issue in the long run. So it will not help you if you are looking for long term family reunion.

  7. Hi saurabh

    My father has not passport.I thought my brother can go with my mom together.but our netcome yearly is only 150000 Rs so may be vo do reject the visa
    That’s why I m thinking sent my mom alone for interview..and then I fill housewife in her ds160 ,,,is it ok ? PlZ tell me. And if she forget something at the interview time she can say,,,I don’t know this,,is this fine???pl z tell me

    • Poonam,
      In that case your mother can go along and fill the DS form as housewife. If asked about her husband, she can mention her husband’s salary, assets etc. She should carry the bank statements, asset records and tax returns of her husband for this. She can answer the questions to the best of her knowledge, and then hope for the best.

  8. My daughter-in-law is providing an affidavit of support for me however she has only $850. She has a property value of $5000 and market stock value of $6000.
    What are my chances of getting a Visitors visa to US so I can attend her church wedding to my son

    • Saras,
      If she doesn’t have enough funds, then you can show your assets as well. In the end, they want to know whether you will be able to take care of the expenses during the trip. These can either be paid by you or by your daughter-in-law, and so it would be good to show both assets in conjunction.

  9. hi saurabh
    can u plz tell me what kind of prepartion i can do for her..
    i doubt if she reply something wrong to counslate ,,,vo wouldnt reject their visa

    • Poonam,
      Did you evaluate the other suggestion about your father attending the interview w/ her? I don’t know what preparation she can do. She should know the basic details about your US address, employment etc, about her trip (dates, flight etc) and about her ties w/ home country.

  10. hi saurabh
    i want to know my mother is housewife so if fill d160 of my mother so i have to fill any income of her,or she have to carry any income tax document of papas buisness,and for family ties,,,she will carry photographs and family chart that is enough?or she should bring somthing else…plz help me out what i can do for make it strong..my mom is afraid to go alone for visa interview,what tips u will suggest.if my mother forget some answer she can say i dont know,is it ok..can i talk to u over phone …plz reply me soon


    • She should not be afraid to go alone …….. the process is pretty simple. Let me know if you want to discuss more.

    • Why dont you ask your father also to apply for the visa so he can accompany your mother to the visa interview, he does not need to travel to USA even if he gets visa, i doubt if your brother would be given visa if he shows the net income you have told, the chances are better for your mother and dad to get visa.

    • Poonam,
      I like a’s suggestion that both parents go together and then only your mom can decide to travel. That ways they will have to show the joint income, which would address any concerns regarding the same. She should also note down your information (address, employer, salary etc) so that she can answer any questions related to that.

  11. hi saurabh

    i want to call my mother and my brother to usa .i m on l2 visa.my father and and my brother’s wife and children are not coming with him so i want to now ,can i do my mama and my brother interview togather,my mother is house wife an dmy brother is businessman ..but his income tax return paper shows only 150,000 rs net income yearly…how much income mothly i should show on ds 160 form..and how much balance shoulds show in ban account.if i do my mother’s saprate interview ..so what income i should show in his ds 160 paper…plz help me out

    • Poonam,
      IMO, they should go separately, and both need to show ties w/ India at the time of interview. For mother it would be primarily social ties (husband still in India, she going for small trip etc) and for brother it would be both social and financial ties (business, family in India etc). If they have fixed asset like FDs, land, jewelry they can show them as well.

  12. Saurabh!
    My best friend has got married and now a us citizen.She has invited for her wedding recetion with an offially recetion card printed on my name.Wat are my chances according to if i aply for b2 visa?will it get approved!!!As i m single and between age of 25 to 30 all say it is not possible for me to get visa for a single girl?Plz help me!!!Would also like to mention u that i m undergoing a skin treatment !!!So my doctor is ready to give a letter that i m under her supervision and i will come back to india!!!So wat should i do now?plz help

    • Niki,
      When going for B-2 visa interview, you need to show two things:
      – your purpose of travel
      – your ties w/ home country

      Carry detailed itinerary of when you plan to land in US and when you plan to return along w/ marriage, reception dates. Are you working in Inda? If yes, then carry leave of absence letter from employer for those dates to show that you will return back and join them. If you are enrolled in a college, then take the same from college. Yes, carrying that letter from doctor would also help. In the end, it would be the officer’s discretion whether to approve or not.

      Good luck!

  13. Hi,

    Iam planning to get my parents to US with a B2 visitor visa. My name in my passport says:Manikeshwar Thota
    Father’s name: Dasharath Thota
    Mother’s name: Nagalaxmi Thota.

    But when i applied for my parents passport, i see a spell mistake in the names

    Name:Dashrath Tota
    Name:Nagalaxmi Tota

    Can you please tell me if it is OK to apply for US visitor visa with this typo?
    what other thing needs to be done to make sure there is no problem

  14. Hi Saurabh,

    I would like to get my parents (mom, dad) and my in-laws’s (mom,dad,sister) visitors visa done.

    1. Do I need to fill 5 different DS-160 forms?
    2 What do you suggest – Should they go in 2 separate groups or 1 group for interview.
    3. If they are going in 2 different groups then I need to get them 2 copies of all – employment letter, bank statement etc?

    • Pankaj Gupta,
      1. Yes, 5 DS forms
      2. 3 groups – parents together, in-law parents together and sister separately. Reason being officer will look at different parameters when reviewing parent’s application and when reviewing sister’s application. So it’s better for them to go separately, so that one’s rejection doesn’t impact the other.
      3. Yes they all would need same set of copies. You can send one copy, and they can do photo-copies as per their convenience.

      • Thanks Saurabh,

        Do I need to send all of my documents (Bank statements, employment certificate etc in original? or I can send scanned copy and they can take printout of it.

        If 2 people are going in together for interview then do they need 2 different HDFC receipt?
        Can you guide me how to take interview date for 2 or more people together?

        • Pankaj Gupta,
          You can send the copies. Each applicant needs to have their own HDFC receipt.

          I just remembered that when you fill the DS form, it asks you if you want to add another person to the form to make is a family form. At that point, you can add the other parent to the form. In other words, you will complete 3 DS-160 forms.

          When you schedule the interview date, it gives you an option to add another family member (towards the end of the flow). At that point, you can add the other parent. However, they would still need separate HDFC receipts.

          • Hi Saurabh,

            I was filling DS-160 form for my sister-in-laws. In the form, it asks for “purpose of visit to US”. I don’t see any better option other than selecting “OTHERS” for that option. When I select “OTHERS” then it asks a sub question which has only 2 options –
            1. PARENT of Certain Special Immigrant.
            2.Child of an N8.

            I don’t see any of these options as valid.
            Am I missing anything here? Please suggest.

          • Pankaj Gupta,
            Isn’t there something like Business/Pleasure trip to US? You should use that for her DS form. What did you fill in for the parents?

            At HDFC bank, they would need the passport copies of the applicants and do not need the DS forms.

          • Also Saurabh,

            If you can tell me what all things are need to get HDFC receipt, other than paying the fees?

            Just the passports of the visitor or do they need DS160 form copy as well?

          • Thanks Saurabh…

            I do find an option – Business or pleasure.

            I have submitted all 3 DS forms..I put my name in “Anyone assisted you in filling the form” section. but I don’t see any place where I need to sign.

            I just have the confirmation page with me. Am I missing anything?

            Also it only ask about the details of the primary traveler, my father, and didn’t ask anything about the person who is accompanying the primary traveler, my mother.

          • Pankaj Gupta,
            I have not filled the family option myself, so I don’t know the exact details. That’s what I learned online. Maybe someone else who has been in this situation can help you out w/ your question.

  15. Hi Saurabh,

    My parents are in india and i am applying for their visitor visa to USA. My Dad does govenment job from 1975 till present . He works in punjab police.

    I have query regarding below fields in DS -160 form: –

    Present Work/Education/Traning
    Previous Work/Education /Training for last 5 years

    Since he is working from 1975 in police department( so present and past job are same) , so i should provide all infomation in present job and mark previous job as “Not Applicable ” ?? or should i give same information in present job as well as past job?

    Please guide.. we are confused and dont want to create any confusion.

    Thanks a lot for your help .. Really Appreciate it!!!

      • Thanks saurabh.. but if I provide current job details in previous job then it ask me to provide previous job start date as well as end date.. previous job is current job for my dad so i cannot provide any end date since he is working currently on that positon..
        And also if I mark previous job as NA , then there is no option where we can list job start date and end dated in present job..
        This form is pretty much confusing ..

        • Manu,
          Even when you provide the previous work details, you have to provide them for last 5 years. So they don’t want the entire work history. You can provide them the current work experience, mention NA in the previous job experience. When the VO asks about work experience, he can mention about the entire job history. It’s up to you guys.

  16. Hi..
    My visitor visa got rejected yesterday as i was considered to be an illegal potential immigrant..Though my sis and bro in law are in US but i didnt mentioned that in the ds160 form since i have seen many cases in which they reject the visas if they have any relatives in US as they think that the person will stay over and wont come back so i didnt mentioned about my sis in the form but i still got rejected…my purpose of goin there to give my nbde exam..its an exam if passed to get into DDS program ..had all the documents but as usual, they didnt ask for it..I had made one mistake in filling the ds 160 in which they asked my monthly salary and i mentioned 2lakhs since i thought i have been asked my annual salary but then i realized it later and i was of the opinion that i can explain that to the VO that it was an typing error but he didnt ask anything about my salary..i have graduated few months back only and my exam is next month in US so u think i can apply again?? and also since i didnt mention about my sis and bro in law earlier so i guess i cannot mention now also if i apply? what do u suggest??

    • Ashish,
      So you mean to say that you lied on the document, and your visitor’s visa got rejected? I don’t see the issue here.

      If you have to do it all over again, then try to show strong ties to home country like employment, social ties etc.

      • Hey Thanks for replying..
        Ya when i filled the ds 160 form the last time, i didnt mention about my sis and bro in law who are in US so 1) now when i apply again, so i shouldnt mention that again(about my sis…) in the ds160 rite since they will be having my previous info which i filled in the form?
        2) Ans after how many days u think it would be appropriate to re-apply? i got rejected 3 days back..
        Thanks again

        • Ashish,
          I don’t know what’s the best course of action as you have already lied on the form once. As those documents are filed electronically, they keep a track of all previous filings.

          You can re-apply once you have corrected the reasons for denial.

  17. Hi,

    I am going to apply B2 visa from my mother. Should I send invitation letter in native language or in English.

    Thanks in advance,

  18. Hi, I had a quick question regarding DS-160 form. Basically my parents doing agriculture in india. If I select ‘Agriculture’ for primary occupation, the form expecting me to fill the company name & address. Basically my parents do the farming by them self. No concrete income to specify. what to fill-in?

  19. Hi, My parents went for visa interview and got rejected (214(b)). My father takes care of agriculture and my mother is housewife. They have 20 shops for rent as side business. But in the visa form we stated that my father is a farmer and didn’t state anything about the side business.
    My questions are:
    1) Can we apply visa stating about the side business. What reason shall we give for adding this afterwards and not for the first application?
    2) My husband and I both are working but, my husband is sponsoring my parents visa due to his annual pay. Is it good idea that he is sponsoring them ?
    3) Should we take mothers and fathers visa interview separately. Or is it fine for them to go for interview together?
    4) We are planning to take 2nd interview date just within 2 weeks of the first interview. Is it a good idea ?


    • B2Visa,
      1. They can re-apply w/ this additional information. If asked why it wasn’t included earlier they can say that they didn’t think initially that is was required, but are now including it to show ties to the community.
      2. It is fine. I don’t think it will adversely effect their visa stamping.
      3. Together is better
      4. There is no wait time. So you can take it another 2 weeks w/ the additional information.

  20. Hi Saurabh,
    Thanks for all your help. My sister got her B2 visa approved. VO did ask her good number of questions, but finally approved it.

    My Parents and my sister ar egoing to Travel in the month of March. So when they are travelling, what all documents to they need to carry(if any). Will they ask for any documents at the Port of Entry?

    • Aakanksha,
      They need to carry same set of documents for PoE. Also, they need to know the details about you, your location, your employment etc.

      • Same set of Documents, as in Payslips/Bank statements as well?

        I have sent an Invitation to letter to my Parents first and a separate letter for my Sister, as they went for interview separately.
        Will that be fine? Or shall I now send a common invitation letter to all three of them?
        They already have separate I-134 for each.

        • Aakanksha,
          You can send a letter on A-4 sheet inviting them to stay w/ you in US for sometime. If they already have the payslips/bank documents, then they should carry it. Doesn’t harm in carrying more documents.

          It should be fine if they enter US together even if their interviews were conducted separately.

  21. hi Saurabh,

    My mom, Sister in law(Bhabhi) and kids r going for visa interview, Yesterday my brother paid the visa fee at HDFC branch,My nephew has brother’s name on passport is “Brijeshkumar” and by mistake brother filled the receipt with “Brijesh” in full name. so would it be a problem… he also entered another phone number than DS 160 form so would it be a problem??? is there any chance if i could make changes to HDFC receipt?? I am on greencard and we sponsored them and they all r going as family appointment so how is there chance of getting visa??? my niece is 12 and nephew is 7.

    thank you so much

  22. do i need to prepare the same set of documentation again if i were to apply for my mother’s 10 year B1/B2 visa extension in India? First 1 year multiple entry B1/B2 is expiring in June 19th 2012. On the existing visa she had traveled 3 time to US.

  23. In the instructions for form I-134, under the section “What is the purpose of this form” it says:

    For aliens seeking admission or adjustment as permanent residents as immediate relatives, family-based immigrants, and certain employment based immigrants, as specified in sections 212(a)(4)(C) and 213A of the Act and 8 CFR Part 213a, the petitioning relative must file Form I-864.

    Parents or relatives visiting US on B2 visa are non-immigrants but the instructions seem to refer only to immigrants. In the past I have provided form I-134 to help with the B2 visa, but it has never been asked for or seen by the consular officer. So, should we even provide I-134 for our parents and relatives to support their B2 applications? Does anyone actually know of a case where I-134 was requested at the US Consulate for a non-immigrant visa like B2?

  24. Hello,
    For question #10, my husband (us citizen) filed for my green card in 2000. I have subsequently recd. citizenship 3 years ago. Does this information need to be filled out or is it just for ongoing applications?

    Thanks so much!

  25. Saurabh,

    I am currently in H1B visa and mine is expiring in the middle of May 2012. My employer has already initiated extension for me but the case is not yet filed with USCIS and I don’t have the receipt yet. My wife is also working under H1 here.

    (1) If i choose to sponsor my parents for visitor visa for travel around April end, will that be a problem as my visa is expiring shortly (though extension will be filed)?

    (2) Since my wife is working, will the case be better if she sponsors my parents (her in-laws)? She does not have a large work experience and has just begun employment in US (less than 3 months)

    (3) Can both myself and my wife file joint affidavit and invite my parents, to hold a stronger case? My parents have many ties in India (like own home for both of them, regular pension income for both, fixed deposit account balance etc). and I hope they can prove their intention of shorter stay (and not longer) in USA.

    • Narayan,
      1. I don’t think it would be an issue. If it helps, you can submit extension receipt as well.
      2. That is also an option. Her less number of years of work experience will not impact the outcome of the stamping. However, it’s better if it is sponsored by the person having blood relation.
      3. It’s up to you. The thing is that they want be sure that the sponsor will be able to bear the expenses when they are in US. You can continue to work on H-1 and get paid while your H-1 extension is in progress. So your pending H-1 extension addresses that concern. If you want, you both can sponsor together. It would show that you both are earning, and one can pick up the expenses in case extension gets denied etc.

      • Saurabh,

        Thanks for the information. We want to process visa for my wife’s parents too in shorter time frame. Do you suggest to have all the 4 of them (my parents and in-laws) go together or have one couple at a time?

        If we choose to have my parents alone for processing first, and then followed by my in laws, would there be questions as I had already sponsored two people (when my in laws go for interview) and those two are in US already?

          • Saurabh,

            Got one more question. I just realized that my parents’ name in my passport (last page) is different from what they have in their parents. The second portion of their names are missing in my passport, but present fully in theirs. Their other proofs have the same name as their passport.

            Will this be a problem while i fill up the forms? Will there be a cross verification against their names in my passport with their passport?

          • Meant to say that their names are different in their PASSPORT (it has the typo as ‘their parents’ in my reply)!

  26. Hi,
    Do you know if I can get my visa status changed from L1 to L2 while staying in US?
    I am currently on L1 and so is my husband, however in a few months I want to leave my job but still stay with him in US.


      • Thanks Saurabh,
        It will be great if you can elaborate on the process of filing a COS. Where can I do it, what is the cost associated and how long does it normally take.
        When I travel back to India after my status is changed can I just walk in to the embassy and get my L2 visa in my passport, or are there further steps to it?

        Appreciate your help!

        • Shivani,
          COS is form I-539, filing fees is around 200-300 USD (don’t remember the exact cost). It needs to be filled and filed at USCIS office.

          When submitting the form, you need to show 2 things:
          1. You maintained legal status at the time of filing. You will have to submit your L-1 documents, I-94, payslips, W2s etc for this
          2. You will be able to maintain legal status after COS has been approved. You will have to submit husband’s L-1 documents, I-94 payslips, W2s etc for this

          Do not travel out of US while COS is pending, or it will abandoned. Once your COS has been approved, you will be on L-2 visa from COS approval date. Next time you travel out of US, you will have to go for L-2 visa stamping carrying husband’s L-1 related documents. The visa officer will review your case and either approve your L-2 visa or issue 221g for administrative processing. When approved, you can travel to US and enter on L-2 visa.

          Let me know if you need any other information.

  27. Hi Saurabh,

    I have applied for H1 in the year 2008 through a consultancy. In the visa interview here in Chennai, the visa officer informed me that they need more time to process the application and put my application on hold. I didn’t bother to get back on that application afterward.

    Now, my present employer is filing H1 for me and asked me to submit all the required documents before April 1st, 2012. Now my question is should I cancel my first H1 application (it is still in pending status) that was applied through consultancy in 2007 or can I leave it as it is. Will it have any effect on my current H1 application?

    Please let me know what should I do with that application.


    • Harish,
      I don’t think that old petition will impact your current processing. However, it would be good to know what eventually happened w/ that petition (you can get a hint from online status or check w/ that employer) and let your current attorney know the same.

  28. Hi,

    I am on an H1B visa and am inviting my mother and two of my sisters to visit me here in US. Could someone let me know if I need to send them the original copies of the invitation letter, bank letter, etc. or if I could just email them the scanned copies of these documents.

    Thanks a lot,

      • Saurabh,
        Thanks a lot. Most people around here seem to think that one has to produce the original document and that is why I was not sure.

        One more thing: My mother is originally from Bihar but for the last one and a half year she has been staying in Bangalore. Do you know if she could apply in Delhi consulate instead of in the Chennai consulate.

        Thanks again for your help,

        • Anand,
          In US, lot of companies encourage their customers to get the statement online and charge for paper copies. So it makes no sense to get original bank statements and then send them to your parents. Invitation letter may need to be sent in original, but I am not sure (in my case I didn’t complete any I-134 form but sent them scanned documents).

          • Anand,
            She should go to Chennai. Is she planning to give the interview in English or Hindi? If latter, then Delhi should also work as I don’t think Hindi interview facility is available in Chennai (but I might be wrong).

          • Saurabh,

            Really appreciate the way you are helping everyone around. I actually submitted the application (B-2) for my mohter in Chennai and took an appointment there; however, now it turns out that it will be very difficult for her to travel to Delhi and give interview. So, I need to take an appointment in Delhi. Do you kno if this is possible. Can I just cancel the Chennai appointment, resubmit the form to the Delhi Consulate and take an appoinment for Delhi Consulate?

            Thanks a lot for your help.

          • Anand,
            VFS India site has information on how to reschedule visa interview. I think the HDFC receipt becomes inactive for 1 day after the cancellation, and can be used after that for rescheduling.

  29. thanks a lot ..this was a big help…but i wanted to ask how long does it takes for visa to come from the time we filed?
    thanks in advance

    • Aman,
      If visa stamping is successful, passport is received within a week. In case 221g is issued, it can take longer (few weeks to several months).

  30. Hi ,
    I and my brother both are living in US.I want to invite my parents here but I am on H4 so my husband will sponsor their visa.
    1 .Is it will be any problem if husband sponsor it , not my brother ?
    2 .I want to invite my sister (22 years) with them also.I heard that because of her visa interviewers can reject my parents visa.Is that correct ? or I should not apply for her visa with my parents ?
    Thanks in advance.. 🙂

    • Khushi,
      1. I don’t see any issues. However, they would have to mention about all children in US in the DS-160 questionnaire
      2. My recommendation would be to apply for her visa separately. How the officers treat parents (who are either working or retired) vs siblings (who are either studying or just started working) is different. If they go for visa interview together, it is possible that rejection of one may impact the other. Your parents can go together, and your sister can go separately (probably the same day). In addition, all of them need to show strong ties to home country.

  31. Hi,
    i have a question on sponsoring my parents visa. I am in US on L1-B visa. I came in Jan 2011 and my visa expired in march 2011, but at port of entry i was given I-94 valid till Jan 2014. So i would like to know can i sponsor my parents visitor visa or not? or is there any other way for applying for their visa.

    Thanks in advance..

    • Gaurav,
      Your parents can go for visitor visa as long as you are legally employed in US and have been maintaining valid status. It is ok for the physical visa stamp in your passport to get expired.

  32. I am a US citizen, and my mom is filing for a tourist visa from India to come n visit me. Do I need to fill an I-134? Is it still that form or is it the I-854 now?

  33. Hi, I’m planning to sponsor visa for my parents. Here is my question:

    1. Once visa is approved, Should I book one way ticket or two way ticket? Please advise me.
    2. Is advisable to book ticket only after getting approval?
    3. Do you know any website to look for people who is traveling? so that I can my parents to accompany with them?

    thanks in advance. All the information you provided are very informative.

    • Raghu Raj,
      1. 2 way ticket
      2. Yes
      3. I don’t think there is any such website that would publish passengers name. It will be a big privacy concern

  34. Can I fill out the online DS-160 form for my mom and sister in English or they need to fill it. And did you sent all the paper to parent or straight to Consular office.

    • Hi,
      For my parents this is what I did.
      Fill out all the details for my parents in DS160 (I had a copy of their passports and photo), BUT I did not submit it. (I had filled all in english)

      I asked my Dad to go over the form once again and he submitted the form and took a printout of the same.
      At the Interview, my Father had the interview in English BUT my Mother requested for an Interview in Hindi, and my Mother got her Visa without issues.

      Hope this helps.

      • Hi,

        I am applying for B2 visa for my Mom and Dad. My Dad can attend the interview in Englush, but my mother may not speak fluent english.
        Can I book an interview in English for both of them, and my Dad can answer on behalf of my Mom?
        or, Do I need to book seperate interviews for my Dad in English and Mom in native language?

  35. Hi Saurabh,
    I have earlier applied for B2 visa for my parents and they got the visa approved. Now I am applying for B2 visa for my Sister. I am filling I-134 document for my sister. There are two sections in that document which say:
    ***9. I have previously submitted affidavit(s) of support for the following person(s). If none, state “None”.****

    *****10. I have submitted a visa petition(s) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following person(s). If none, state “None”****

    When my parents went for Visa interview, the VO did not ask or verify any of the documents. But I did send them I-134 documents separately filled one for each for my Mother and Father. So for the above two questions, should I mention that I have submitted affidavit and Visa Petition already for my Parents or should I leave it as “None”.

    • Another Question

      If I need to fill in the information of my Mother and Father for the above two sections (9 and 10), there is a column “Date Submitted”. What date should I enter over there, Is their “Visa Interview Date” or is it the “Date I entered when I signed the document” in the section “Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor” “Signature of Sponsor” and “Date”.

      Please help!!

    • Aakanksha,
      I am not 100% sure, but if the documents were not submitted to the consulate or USCIS, then it should be None for both of them. Even when you completed the I-134 form, it was sent to your parents and not to USCIS. So 10 should be None, and I think 9 should also be None based on my initial statement. Check w/ others as well. I think these questions are more relevant when the document has actually been submitted to consulate or USCIS.

      • Hi Saurabh,

        As always, thanks for your quick reply. Even I was thinking that I should put it as “None” for 9 and 10. Only concern was, In the DS 160 form for my sister, I have mentioned she will travel along with my Parents. So VO might(??) ask, if parents already have visa and who is sponsoring their trip. When my sister says, that I sponsored for my Parents, will it be a problem if I put None. I know you mentioned you are not 100% sure, but just asking again your thoughts on the same?

        • Aakanksha,
          Yes, you are right about it. Will they be traveling together? If yes, then it’s better to mention parents name in #9 and None in #10. Reason being they will be entering PoE together, and the officer can ask for I-134 at that point as well. So it would be good to have the document consistent and not raise any red flags. BTW, when I sponsored my sister, I just sent a letter on A4 sheet and didn’t submitted any I-134 document.

          • Thanks Saurabh. My Sister and Parents will be travelling together. Do you think #10 should be “None”? I have submitted the B2 visa petition to my parents right?I was planning to fill in my parents details for #9 and #10. Please let me know.. Also what date should I use for “Date Submitted” for #9 or #10?

          • Aakansha,
            Yes #10 should be None as you didn’t submit anything to USCIS. I-134 was taken to the consulate (which is DOS and not USCIS), right?

          • oh ok..Got it. So I will only fiill #9 with details of my parents and leave #10 as None.

            I think I have one more last question: What date should I enter for “Date Submitted”?Is the “Visa Interview Date” for my parents or the Date on which I signed the I-134 for my PArents?

    • Hi Aakanksha,
      I’m trying see should I fill out online ds160 form for my parents an English or they need it. And did you sent your part paper to parent or straight to Counsel place.

  36. Hi Saurabh,
    When i was searching for my visitor visa info, I stumbled across your website. thanks for the nice information. I have a doubt as well.i came in H4 visa 2 years back to USA and then I got my H1B visa a year back. Now we are planning to bring my mother here. So is it best to do with me as a sponsor or my hubby as sponsor for my mother ?
    And If its best to apply with me as sponsor, do I need to provide any of my hubby’s doc as well ?

    • Maalini,
      Looks like you are on H-1 visa right now. So it’s better for you to sponsor her as there is direct blood relationship. Your payslips will be required, not your husband’s. His payslips will be required if he decides to sponsor her.

  37. Can my parents appear for B2 visa interview on same date as my H1 visa re-stamping interview date? I already have my I-797 approval copy which they will have.

  38. hi , my parents got their visa rejected last year in july under social ties issues. i am on h1 visa . now they have interview again , how should i show the strong social ties. also VO never asks fr any documents so is it ok that my parents show the documents even if he donot ask fr it. my father is retired and mom is house wife.

      • hi , yes they were asked questions like hw many kids u have , so my father replied 2 , one is in US and other is in Dubai. i guess this was the problem , so my question is since my sister is back nw in india forever , if they say that my sis is in india , will they believe? do they have any record of the conversation? plz help. also its my sons 2 birthday also , so will it be fine if we send an invitation card , will that help

        • They can try again. Their file would contain information about previous rejection and notes added by the officer. Your parents can emphasize on the fact that their daughter has returned for good. If they are members of any organization and active participants in social activities, they can add that as well. But I am not sure, how much that would help.

          Good luck!

  39. Hi Saurabh!
    you r doing great job. both me and my wife want to apply for B1/B2 visa in new delhi embassy for our USMLE exam and will be travelling together do we need to appear for visa interview together. is it a disadvantage to appear together as i have heard that Visa Officers tend to reject family visas. we have a five year old son who will be staying back. is that a strong point in favor of social tie with home country.

    • Here is an option – you both go on same date, but schedule different appointments. This is b/c you are not dependent on each other, and each has an independent reason to travel to US. The disadvantage is that there is a possibility that one stamping would get approved and other won’t. If you go together, then they would either approve both of them or reject both of them. From your perspective, is it ok for at least one to get approved, or do you want it to be both or neither?

      Your son will be staying in India while you are in US is a pretty solid social tie. Make sure you slip in this information during the interview.

      • Thanks for the prompt reply

        It’s both or none for us.
        I am having permanent Govt. Job here while my wife is working in pvt hospital. I think my permanent job will be a good point for her also .
        Thanks again we will be applying together

  40. hi saurabh how are you doing i wish u be doing good i have a question from u plz answer me if u know i am looking to find DS 157 FORM the new one i have found but that was expired so do u know about the update one from where i should find i am really stuck on it thanks

  41. hi saurabh..

    i am here in u.s in H4. i am planning to apply h1 in the near future.
    if i get stamped with my H1,its pretty good. if it is rejected.. can i continue with my H4 ? or even H4 wil be cancelled?

    • They usually do not cancel H-4 visa stamp unless you have not been maintaining legal status in US or have been involved in criminal activities.

  42. hi saurabh,i am here in usa from last 2 years as permanent resident and last year i sponsor my parents and they got rejected and now after 1 year i am going to sponsor them again as visitor visa,i live here wd my wife and we file tax togateher frmlast 2 years and our together income for last year is $46000 and latest $60000 but my income is for last year $15500 and latest $28000 if we see seprate incomes so isit ok to sponsor parents with that income

  43. Hi Saurabh,
    Thankyou for the so many clear details provided here for Tourist visa.
    I am sponsoring my parents for B2/Tourist visa. when they appear for Visa interview do they have to take 2 packets (with same list of documents, I-134, employment letter, bank letter, letter to consulate etc.) Or they can just take 1 packet with list of all documents for both ?
    I would really appreciate your response.

    • One packet should be even, but they should have separate HDFC receipts. When booking the appointment, there is a final question regarding family members. At this point, your parents can add the other one and then appear for interview together. They also need to go to the interview window together.

  44. i have filled and submitted ds160 form also taken appointment for interview its on 3rd feb,
    I dont want to cancel my appointment as it is employer initiated and they wont entertain this.

    My question to you is.. i hade mentioned my office work address as my staying address in ds160 form now i have got one address of my team mate can i mention that if VO ask me at the time of interview .

    Also i have by mistake mentioned my start of date of last employment 7th in place of 8th though 7 was sunday (7th jan 2007). Actual date of joining is 8th . will it create any problem…

    and i have 2 managers at onsite but i mentioned only one who is at dfferent location from mine. he is at A and my work location will be B though these two places are within 50 miles commuting radius so if vo asked me how he will manage me what explanation can i give. can i say that i have two managers one at my work location who will manage me and other one is what i mentioned in ds160 form.

    i have mentioned in ds160 that i am travelling as group and mentioned group name as my project name. but i am travelling alone that also by mistake. will it be aproblem

    I cannot make changes now. m afraid these silly mistake may lead to bad news on 3rd feb friday..please help.. how to convince consulate if possible!!!

    please do reply….

    • 1. It should be fine to mention office address as your staying address. If VO questions, then you can let him/her know that you don’t about the housing accommodation yet, and have so entered office address.
      2. It should be fine to mention 7th.
      3. You should have mentioned the name of the person who will be onsite. Reporting to an onsite manager helps in addressing any employer-employee relationship concerns. IMO, this should be corrected if you have an onsite manager.
      4. If I remember correctly, then you are going for H-1 visa stamping. In that case, it should still be ok.

      Talk to your employer about #3 and whether you should change your DS form now or not. You can reschedule the interview using the same HDFC receipt number.

  45. Hi,
    I am in United States for one year now on H1B Visa. Few months back , I had my Parents take B2 Visa interview. They got the visa approved. I am planning to have them come to US in March.

    I have a Younger Sister, currently persuing her Medical Career. She is a 2nd year student in MD. Now I also want to apply a B2 visa for my Sister.
    1.Since my Sister is still a student, what all documents should my sister, carry other than the documents my Parents had to take for the interview?
    2. Since my sister is still studying, will the VO ask for her leave plan, or will there be any other issue?
    3. My elder sister is also in US currently. She is on a L2 visa. Will it be any different if I file the B2 visa or my Brother in Law files the Visa for my Younger Sister?

    Appreciate your help.

    • 1. A letter from her school that she is a regular student and they expect her to join the school after her short trip to US. Also have the return dates finalized.
      2. They might ask, and that is why it is good to have the letter from the school.
      3. Doesn’t matter. Either you or your brother-in-law can sponsor her B-1. Preferably you as you have a direct blood relation.

      • Thanks Saurabh for your response.

        As far as property documents are concerned, Since my sister is still a student, will she have to show any properties against her name back in India ?

        • She wouldn’t have property documents, and so it’s important to show other sorts of ties w/ India like school, social circle etc. Property documents etc are more applicable to parents and siblings who are working.

          • Hi Saurabh,

            By any chance, do you have a Sample for the Letter, my sister needs to get from college, which will have details regarding her leave approval?

          • I don’t have any sample letter. But I would assume it to contain information about her classes, year of study, school information, leave period, upcoming exams (to show that she will be back in time for them) etc.

  46. Hi ,
    I have H1b Visa interview on 3rd Feb 12 . I dont have any Specific plan to travel right now. So i dont have any sataying address currrently. So i put my work address in place of staying address in DS160 form. Can you please let me know if this will create any problem and if VO asked me why work address is your Staying address can i provide the same explanation or should i write aNy address.

    Thanks in Advance . Please reply before 3rd feb.

    • That should be ok. A lot of people don’t make house arrangements before traveling to US, and they often put work address as the US address.

  47. Hi, I like to invite my mom and dad to visit USA under tourist visa. I am here from July 2006 with green card.I have one problem that my income level here is very low. As per last 3 years tax document the income is between $ 22000 to $ 27000 yearly.The low income reason while filing federal tax, every year I got EIC(Earned Income Credit).I have $ 25000 bank balance here so I am thinking to submit only bank balance certificate not other regular income statements(w2, tax file, pay stub).This way they can got visa or not ? Please give me any other option and suggestion which can make possible to approve visa.Thanks.

    • If your parents have the funds then they can show that they will take care of the expenses. If not, then also your salary etc will not be an issue.

      What VO will be most interested in is determining whether your parents will return to home country after the visit or not. So they need to show strong ties to home country when attending the interview.


Leave a Comment