New Baby Passport Application Documents India

How to Apply for new born baby passport in India ? Docs Checklist [2020]

In Indian Passport by KumarUpdated : 800 Comments

The process to apply for Indian Passport for a new born baby is easier than you think. It is pretty much similar to the Indian passport renewal/ re-issue in India. The process is straightforward and there is NO need to pay to an agent or anyone for this. I did everything on my own, without seeking anyone’s help. I received my baby’s passport in about a little over a week via registered post. I applied it as normal processing mode ( NOT Tatkaal). Let’s look at the details. At the end there are users experiences and many new updates in comments, do check them out.

Spouse Name Endorsement Requirement

If either of the parents or both of them have passport, there is a requirement to have spouse name endorsed on the passport. Without having this, you will not be able to apply for passport. Endorsement means, on the pages with address and other info, you will see your spouse name as well, see below screenshot.

Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport India
Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport

The general process is to apply for Spouse Name Endorsement first and then apply for baby passport. But, there is a work around for this. You can apply for both Passport of the Baby and also Spouse name endorsement on the same day. Read How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Now that you know the basic requirements, let’s look at the details step by step.

Step 1: Apply for Birth Certificate

Our baby was born in a little town in India and the first and foremost thing that I did was apply for a birth certificate at the municipality office. Depending on where your baby was born you would have to go the respective government body like Municipal office and apply for birth certificate.  Also, the hospital your baby was born in will ask you to fill out a form and you would need to mention all the details clearly on that, as that form will be sent to the municipal office or govt body.

It takes about two weeks to a month to get that. Nowadays everything is electronic. Depending on the state, you would have the state body give you a digitally signed birth certificate with an application number. I could check the details in the Govt website using the application number. You can submit your Passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy or Aadhar copy for spelling and proof.  Make sure your name, your spouse name and baby name are printed correctly, if not you will have issues. I had to re-apply for my birth certificate requesting corrections for the name as the address was wrong and they messed up the surname of my baby.  Eventually, I got the birth certificate of my baby in about 1.5 months.  This is the most important or the only document required I would say.

Step 2 : Register Account in Passport Seva Website, Complete Application

First thing you need to do is register and create an account at Passport Seva Website.  When you are registering a new account, you may not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) center in the drop down as it may not be the major one and just a collection or appointment  center. In that case, you select the head of the state. For instance, you may not see Tirupati in the list of  Passport Office, when you register, you will have to Select Hyderabad.  It can be very misleading, but trust me, I did exactly the same thing by selecting the head office.  

The process is pretty standard and ensure that all the spellings are correct. Make sure you give a valid email ID, as the link to activate your account and other status emails will be sent to the email address. Once you register you will get an email to activate your account, then you are set with registration.  You can check the guide to Applying Indian Passport Online, the basic steps on the website are same irrespective of the kind of passport.

You need to complete the application online, it is very much straight forward, you can download the PDF form and save and submit it or fill it online. Just make sure you complete the application online.

Step 3 : Walk-in with Application Receipt Printed (Check with PSK)

Some PSKs allow direct Walk-in appointments for some categories like Senior Citizens and Minors without prior appointment.  This always depends on the PSK and you will need to check with the PSK for this by calling them. In case, they allow direct walk-in appointment, you will need to take a print out of the Application Receipt (ARN) and carry that with you.

 You can pay the fee online and take the appointment as well.  As you are applying for minor, you may do a walk-in as well and pay it there.  In my case, I paid the fee online and took appointment as written in the below step 4 as I did not know that I can walk-in.  One of our readers Raju (Thanks to Raju ) shared his experience that you can do walk-in. But, we have been reported by other readers like Suresh in Delhi that you cannot do walk-in directly and need to take appointment.  In any case, to avoid issues, I highly recommend getting an appointment, if you have time to avoid any confusions at PSK. 

 Step 4  : Pay and Book Appointment on Passport Seva Kendra Website

After you register, activate and login to your account and complete the application, you will be have options to book an appointment. Look at the left side navigation, you will have service section saying “View my saved/submitted applications”. Click on that and then you will get options to “pay and schedule appointment”.  You will need to do payment before you can book an appointment.

You can pay using challan or visa/master card. Only certain banks are listed like State Bank of India, if you want to use specific bank card. I recommend using any Visa or Mastercard of any bank and get through the payment, as it saves a lot of hassle. I used a visa card of some different bank and had no problems. You can just pay first and do NOT book, if you are not sure of the schedule. I first paid the fees and completed the payment process. I was waiting for the right dates to open for booking slot.  

Usually dates would be available at about 4 to 5 days before the actual date of appointment. So, it is pretty clear, wait for the slots to open and book the date.  Also, there is no hassle in process, where you need wait at a certain time of the day for the slots to open and there is so many people booking at same time. With the payment process in place, it is very clear and there is no artificial demand created, so just book it at your convenient time, no need to pay some for getting slot.  Once your slot if booked using the system, take a print out the appointment receipt as you will need it for the entry at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK).  Read all the instructions clearly on the appointment letter as it has all the information you need.

Documents Checklist for Newborn Baby Passport in India

Assuming your situation is straightforward, with both parents alive and both are legally together, below are the Required documents List :

  1. Birth Certificate issued from the Govt Authority like Municipal office.Carry a copy of this.
  2. Proof of present address – usually parent’s passport with address is sufficient. If not, any utility bill, Aadhar Card, Gas connection, Election Voter ID, etc. with the address. We took copies of our passports ( mine and my wife’s) as it served as the address proof documents and other identification proof. Carry a copy of the address proof.
  3. Parents need to print and sign Annexure D from the passport Seva Kendra website
  4. One Passport Photo of the Baby with White Background.
  5. Printed copy of the PSK appointment receipt.

Optional documents:

My wife’s name was endorsed on my passport, so it was very straightforward. If not, it does not hurt to carry the Marriage certificate to avoid issues.

Common FAQs

I do not have spouse name endorsed on parents passport, can I apply for baby passport ?

You need spouse name to be endorsed on passport of at least one of the parents, if not, you cannot apply. But, you can do the spouse name endorsement and applying for baby passport on same day. Check How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

My Spouse is abroad, cannot come to Passport Office. Can I apply on my own ?

In the past, as per passport application guidelines, they required either both parents to be present or get the Annexure D as sworn affidavit signed by Indian High commission abroad to apply for passport in India for baby. But, this has changed in recent years and there is NO need to have both the parents. If one parent is traveling or abroad, they can submit Annexure C and indicate the reason as traveling or abroad and get passport of the new born baby.

Why Spouse Name endorsement for getting Baby passport ?

This is to get passport for the baby without police verification.

How long does it take to get Baby Indian passport ?

This totally depends on the PSK and hard to say. But, if everything is right and no complications, you should get passport in about 10 to 15 days under normal processing.

It is always recommend you all to check the passport office website to verify, if any changes to the process or required documents.

Check out the next step on Process at the Passport Seva Kendra for New Born Passport Application 

Baby Passport Applying Experience at  PSK Ghaziabad –  Shared by Paras Mohan

Hello All,  I went to PSK Ghaziabad today for the passport of my 7 month old baby and would like to share the entire story :

Documents Required :
1) Self Attested Copies of Father+Mother Passport ( With Originals )
2) Self Attested Birth Certificate of Minor
3) Passport size photograph
4) Passport Receipt Form
5) Annexure D

First of all, there is no direct walkin service at PSK, Ghaziabad for Minors, so we had to book the appointment and went on time. We entered and on the very first counter, he checked our initial documents, placed them in the file and asked us to go inside. We went inside and waited for about 15 mins max and our name was announced. For Minors, PSK give a token number starting from “S” which is a special case, so everywhere your token number will be treated on priority. And thats what happened, just when we were finished from Counter A ( max 10 mins ), our token number blinked for Counter B and then in next 2 mins, for Counter C. We were out in max 30 minutes.
It was such a great service there and we were highly delighted. Thanks PSK and Thanks TCS for such a great process.

Did I miss anything? Any other thoughts to add?


Other Articles

Comments ( 800 )

  1. Ashwin Daga

    Hi Kumar,
    Great post, really informative.

    I wanted to ask whether both the parents AND the infant has to be present at the PSK?

    Who all need to be present?

  2. Vinay


    Please help I have a query.

    I have a passport but the address mentioned in it is no more valid and as we have sold that house.
    My Wife also has passport and my name is endorsed in it but same above problem. Address in her passport is no more valid.
    We stay in different state and city now and leave on rent now. I wanted to apply password for my 2 year old child. Does it will create any issue as there is mismatch in our address in the passport. Also while applying online its asking me to enter baby aadhar card number and not allowing me to go to next page.

    Please help. Appreciate your faster response.


    1. administrator

      No, there will not be any issues. Well, recently some fields have become mandatory, please check with passport office, you can call them or email them. If need be, you may need to apply for aadhar card.

  3. navi

    it is necessary that both the parents have spouse name and if one parents have spouse name and other have not for minor passport

    1. Vinay

      As per my visit to PSK on May 4th 2018 for new born bay for applying passport
      You need to have below documents
      1. Both parents passport with spouse name printed in one if the passport
      2. Address proof
      3. Aadhar card both sides copy
      4. Baby passport size photo with white background (4 atleast)
      5. Marriage Certificate
      6. Bring your baby for left thumb print! Even if its 1 day they need to take finger print scan!
      7. Anexure D signed

  4. Pagnesh Patel


    Thanks for detailed information, still i have few queries. In our case I am in USA and my wife is in India and our son is 12 days old, we wants to apply for his passport now, we got his birth certificate. I just checked your information and also fill up passport application and I found in out case one parent is not able to give consent, my wife needs to sign Annexure C, but I wants to just confirm she must needs to visit PSK office with baby, or anyone (my brother or friend) can go to PSK center with application and all documents ? One more question as I am out of country my passport will be not in India so is that okay if we present my passport photocopy to PSK center ?


    1. administrator

      I do not think, you fall under the category of not giving consent, you fall under one parent staying abroad. In general, you should send attested copy of Annexure D from Indian high commission…but, this has changed and show online that it is not required, but one of our readers have expressed, they are still asking for it. I suggest you check with PSK. They usually will not allow anyone other than parents or guardians inside the PSK.

      1. Pragnesh Patel

        If you see annexure c, there is one of the reason that says one of the parent is not able to give consent because of traveling abroad, so I thought I fall under that category, how can I find email details of particular passport office for further communication ?

        1. administrator

          I see that, but in most cases, it is only used when parents are separated and not willing to connect. In most of the cases, that I have seen, attested copies from Indian High Comission/ embassy sent to the spouse and then taken to the passport office. You can contact using Feedback section

  5. Hemant

    I have to apply for my 2 weeks old daughter in India. Plan is to take her to the US in another 3 months. We are expecting her birth certificate to come in a week’s time. I registered for an ID in PSK website and proceeded to subsequent steps. The site is not letting me proceed without entering Aadhaar number. Is it mandatory for infants to have Aadhaar number when applying for passport? I am in vacation in India for 2 weeks, and wanted to finish passport application before leaving mid next week. This appears to be a blocker for us at this point.

    Can someone give their experience applying for passport for infants in the past few weeks?

    1. administrator

      When I applied couple of years ago, it was not mandatory. Now Aadhar is mandatory for everything. You can call the customer service to check. Alternatively, the easy thing to do is to ask your spouse to visit an enrolment center with the birth certificate and get the Aadhar Card. You will need to ask her to carry her Aadhar Card and your child’s birth certificate. It should be a quick process. They do not take any biometrics until 5 years. Either case, let us know your experience.

      1. Hemant

        Thanks Kumar. Aadhaar is not mandatory for passport. I just visited a local PSK today to get that confirmed. One just needs to check a No checkbox in the application page online to skip Aadhaar number.

        Waiting for the birth certificate, and will visit the passport office once I have it.

        The local PSK guys told, if the parents’ passports do no have their India address (on which the kid’s passport needs to be applied for), Tatkal option is ruled out. In my case, my passport has US address as I renewed it in the US. Will update when it is all done.

        1. administrator

          Thanks Hemanth for sharing ! Check box is the key. Do share with us once you have applied, it will help many. You can share either here as comment or at share experience form . I will post your experience as a new article, so that everyone will benefit.

  6. gaurav

    Hi, we need to apply passport for our new born baby.
    My wife is having a nepalese passport but we have all other documents of hers with my surname:
    1. Aadhaar card
    2. marriage certificate
    3. pan card
    4. Driving Licence
    5. Bank account

    Please advice whether both parents passport copies are required for submission of new born passport application? or can we submit my passport copy and aadhaar card copy of my wife???
    On my passport my wife’s name is already mentioned.
    Your guidance will be of great help.

    Thks and Rgds

    1. administrator

      Gaurav, Endorsement on your passport is very important and you have that covered, so you should be good. As far as I know, the process is same and if you carry all the documents you put in, you should be good. Yes, just carry passport copies of your and your wife’s so that you do not have any last minute issues. You need to carry the originals of Passports to the passport office. If you have any specific doubts, you can call customer service or email them too.

      1. Gaurav

        Thanks for your reply.
        I need to know one thing, is it mandatory that both parents passport has to be submitted or only one parent passport can be submitted and other parent aadhaar card can be submitted?

        Please advice

        1. administrator

          They will NOT take your passports physically, they will just verify and take photo copy of the same with your self attestation and uually they take scan copies of both the parents. You need to carry Aadhar card as well as it is kind of mandatory lately with everything. Just carry to be safe.

  7. Purva


    We live in Dubai but planning to deliver in India at my place (mother”s place ). I have husband name endorrsed in my passport. Me and my husband share different in respected passports. And I want to get my baby’s passport made from my place. Is there a problem that it should be done from father’s place only ?

    1. Vandana baid


      I have few queries.
      I want to apply passport for my 2.5month old daughter, I need your help for below queries:-
      I have a valid passport with husband name endorsed and has address different from my current address (my aadhar card has also this address).

      My husband has valid passport with address different from current address.
      (All his documents belongs to this address)
      Now we are residing at rented flat, so can I want to apply for my daughter passport with the current address?
      If yes, what all documents will be required as address proof.
      Is rent agreement of current address with suffix?

      Please help

      1. Rich

        Hi Vandana

        While applying for your daughter’s passport, you need to have your daughter’s address proof with address same as your’s or your husband’s address(which is in documents)
        If you are going with rent agreement then i guess they will ask you to change your address on any of the doc as your rented flat address.
        Better if you call passport customer care and enquire.

    2. Patcy paul

      I too have the same case of yours, my husband’s name is endorsed on my passport, me n my husband share different address on passport . Now for our child , who is 6months old now, got passport from my place , with my address as our son’s address on passport . A minor can get passport on either of his parents address, provided both parents hold a valid passport . It doesnt matter if the adress provided in his birth certificate is father’s adress . Hope it helps.

  8. Abhijeet


    Your information is very useful and handy. But I have a question and need your help. We have Annexure D in cases where one parent is living / working abroad. But what about a situation where the husband has temporarily relocated to a different city within India and cannot travel.

    This is my situation. My wife and my 2 months old child is living in Delhi (native place) and I have relocated to Bangalore for about a year. Can my wife go with her passport and a copy of my passport and get our child’s passport made in Delhi. We have all the documents and also our names endorsed respectively on each other’s passports.

    Kindly advise.

    1. administrator

      Well, I am not sure how it would work with spouse being with-in India and not able to travel to apply for passport. I suggest you speak to the Passport office. Most of the times, if parents are in same country, it is understood they would do it together.

    2. Yehuda

      I went to passport SEVA Kendra for making a passport for takal and they did all but what they want is addhar card for 20 day old baby I’m so worried can u pliz help me out

      1. administrator

        Well, not sure, if that is mandatory. If they have insisted, you can still get it visit your local Government office that issues it. You need to carry address proof, birth certificate and parents Aadhar card.

    3. arshdeep kaur

      Hi ,

      This is the same case with me . Could you plz advice a solution to this as my husband is in bangalore and only i am available with my baby to go to the PSK office.


  9. Kishore


    I have a confusion while submitting Passport application for my Infant, in the application Details section it was asking for Education but the option which will match for my Infant is not available.

    simillarly for Non-ECR cateory what to be selected.

    Can you help me with these.


    1. administrator

      You select “5th Pass or Less” and select Non-ECR category manually. Minors are eligible for Non-ECR category until they reach 18 years of age as per rules.

  10. Deepak


    We are planning to apply our new born baby passport. but I have multiple queries before applying it. Hope I will get answers soon.

    Me and My wife don’t have/endorse spouse name on the passport.
    Q1. Is it mandatory to have spouse name on the passport before apply the minor passport?

    I am living out of India and not able to come India while applying our new born passport but my wife would be available in India.
    Q2. Can my wife apply the minor passport in absence of me?

    Q3. If Q1 answer is Yes, then Is there any alternate solution/process?

    Q4. If Q2 answer is No, then Is there any document/letter required?

    Q5. Is there any police verification happens for minor passport? If yes then is there any additional document required while police verification?

    Thanks in Advance.

    P.S – We have Indian Government Marriage Certificate.

    1. administrator

      Q1. Yes.
      Q2 & Q3 . Yes, she needs to carry sworn affidavit from you that is signed by you at an Indian high commission or embassy where you live.
      Q5. It depends on the current address and it can happen, hard to say.

      Yes, the marriage certificate is good enough to endorse passport with your name.

          1. Deepak

            I checked with Passport Seva Kendra customer care, they mentioned that spouse name on the parents passport is mandatory to apply minor passport. Please re-confirm.

    1. administrator

      You will need to fix your Birth-certificate with the correct name. It will solve a lot of problems, if you get that corrected now.

    1. administrator

      you need to get one, it will solve a lot of issues. Or, you can also go to court and get an equivalent certificate regarding your marriage…you can check website. I would highly recommend you get the marriage certificate, it will make the process easier. My cousins got their marriage certificate after 18 years of their marriage for the passport…so, you can get it done anytime, should not be an issue.

      1. Shah

        Ashiq, you can get a marriage certificate from the registrar and if you fall under Non-hindu category (wherein you will have to wait for a month) then you can get a marriage certificate from WAQF Board which is accepted in the Passport seva kendra (valid from Muslims)

  11. M.Rahim

    Dear Kumar
    I am not from India but my wife is from India and our child is born at India, we applied for his birth certificate and at my wife’s passport also my name is mentioned as she renewed the passport, my question is here ! That I can’t go to India due to my job so is it possible to take passport for my child or not ? If yes then how and what all documents are required for him????
    Some people tells go to Indian embassy at my country put a letter some are asking to come please guide us ???

    1. administrator

      Yes, you can. You need to go to the high commission/ embassy where you live and get a sworn affidavit and send it to your wife. You also need to sign annexure D and send both of these originals to your wife. She can carry the same and apply for passport by taking the child and birth certificate.

  12. Ann


    My Baby is 2 years old, and on my passport spouse name is mentioned, but on my husband passport, the spouse name is not added since it taken before our wedding.
    Since my husband permanent address given on passport has changed, Can I apply for my baby’s passport with my address without verification?
    I have heard that while applying for the minor passport if spouse name is added on any of the parent’s passports, we can apply with his/her passport without verification. Please confirm it

  13. Ramya


    Please let me know what are the documents Are required to carry for minor passport of my 6 months old baby as my husband is in abroad now.

    Thanks in advance……

  14. Ramya

    Hi Kumar,

    My baby is 6 months old, in her birth certificate mother name given is mahadas ramya(father surname) later for the sake of my daughter aadhar purpose I changed my aadhar name to my husband surname, please let me know which name to be added in passport application and will be there any issues with name change?

  15. Richa


    Could you pls suggest. My passport is from Chandigarh and my marriage status and spouse name is not updated on my passport.
    I have one year old son & we are at Bangalore and has his birth certificate. I have aadhaar for my Bangalore address.
    I am not leagally seprated from my husband yet.
    How to go for my son’s passport.
    Many thanks

  16. Haripriya

    Annexure H says employee designation etc .am not working women and am planning to apply passport for my 4 month old baby . Why is annexure H needed ? Is the link incorrect ?

    Also do I really need to takepassport size pictures of baby ? Now for adults atleast they take picture at PSK ?

    1. administrator

      It is supposed to be Annexure D. I have fixed it and it has the right link now. Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, you need to take a passport size picture. Yes, for adults they take it. But for kids, they ask for it as it can be hard to capture picture for infant or kid with the setup they have. It will be clearly written on your application appointment sheet that you need to carry a photo, double check it.

  17. Dhanya Sujith

    Sir, My daughter (2yrs old baby) name in Birth certificate is Apoorva Sujith. Sujith is her father’s name. How my name will appear in the passport in the Given name & Surname. Please clarify as earlier as possible

    1. administrator

      I am not sure what you mean ? If you want to have your daughter name with your full name, you need to get the birth certificate corrected and then apply for the passport with the updated name, then you will get your full name in there…

  18. Rudra Dhar

    Dear Kumar,
    On the website everything is mentioned for minor’s 15-18 years. Can you provide me the link for information regarding new born baby passport.
    Do the Gov issue a separate passport for the baby or do they approve and include the baby in either of the parents existing passport? How long will the baby’s passport be valid?
    Thanks in advance.


    1. administrator

      It is the same website and same process. The above article talks about step by step and links. Yes, they issue a new separate passport for baby with 5 years validity.

      1. Rudra Dhar

        Thanks for your reply.
        Can you please tell after the appointment at the office how long does it takes to get the passport in hand? Will there be any police verification?


        1. administrator

          It usually takes anywhere from 7 to 10 days. If spouse name is endorsed in parents passports and address is same as previous one, there may not be police verification…but it depends on the discretion of the passport officer.

  19. sai sandeep

    Hi please suggest in my case.

    My passport has my spouse name attested.
    And I will give passport copy attested and annexure d to my wife duly signed.

    Can she go to passport office after appointment with my 2 years kid and get passport without me being present.

    1. administrator

      sai sandeep,
      Well, you will need to be physically present. Usually they ask for both the parents to be there and as per rule, you have to be there.

        1. administrator

          sai sandeep,
          As I said, legally you are required, it is up to the discretion of the passport officer.
          To tell you the importance, if one of the parents live in other country, they are asked to send a sworn affidavit from high commission, where they have to visit in person sign in front of the officer and then send that physical document that has to be carried to the passport office.
          I will leave it up to your discretion.

          1. Bharat

            Dear Kumar,
            I am in Dubai and my wife and kid in Mumbai. I got my wife name endorsed on the passport. The passport officer here enrolled her name with my surname i.e. Rai but on marriage certificate and my wife passport her surname is Dubey and also her passport address is different then mine. So kindly advise is there will be any issue as her surname is different in passport and marriage certificate ? On child birth certificate her surname is Rai.

            Also is it possible that my brother can go and apply for the kid passport ?

            Thank You

          2. administrator

            It should not be, in general, because changing surnames is quite possible with marriage. If you have any other documents related to marriage, just carry them, it should be fine.

            No,you cannot send your brother. You will need to send a sworn affidavit by visiting Indian high commission in Dubai and send the same original document to Mumbai. Your wife will need to carry that along for passport application.

  20. Anuroop Vaniyar


    Thanks a lot for this. Could you please let me know if I can submit the downloaded birth certificate as proof while applying for passport for my 1 month old son? Thanks in advance

  21. anamika

    Hi, Me and my husband’s Passport have different address and Spouse name not endorsed in our Passport as these passport are before our marriage.So shall I apply passport for my baby with what docs needed and whats the process ? thanks in advance for Info.

    1. Shrikant Terde

      Hi Anamika,

      read below FAQ from Q4 for Minor you will get all answers

  22. Sukh

    Dear Kumar,

    In my passport my name is wirtten as Sukh Ram and there is no Surname, also in my all documents there is no Surname written. I need to apply for modification in my name as First name is “SUKH” and Surname is “RAM”. Please suggest the procedure and required document for it.

    Also please suggest in this case police verification is required or not. I need my passport with Surname on urgent basis. Please suggest what should I do to get it early.


  23. Shankar

    Hello guys,

    My passport have old address and i don’t have any address proof of new address. I want to apply passport for my 1 month baby. I am currently outside india and my wife is in india, so i should be there for passport or not.

  24. Anshul Razdan

    My brother applied passport for his 8month old daughter. Does she need police verification? Need your inputs. It’s one month and nothing has happened till now. He applied through RPO Ghaziabad.

    1. administrator

      If the address has changed or if parents passport spouse name was not endorsed, verification may happen. Also, it is always upto the discretion of the RPO. You can reach out to them via email or phone to verify the status.

  25. Sukh

    I need to apply for passport for my 4 years and 2 years old kids. Currently I am staying in Noida(UP) but my wifes and my passport was issued from Lucknow and the address which is mentioned in our passport is of my home town address Balrapur(UP) .

    Can I apply it from Ghaziabad (UP) or we have to apply it from Lucknow?
    Can we use same address for kids which is in our passport or it is mandatory to fill local address(Noida address). We want our permanent address at kids passport which is in our passport.

    I tried to fill current residential address as Noida and Permanent address as my home town address but it is showing current residential address(Noida address) in kids passport page.

    Please suggest what should we do . Also please suggest what extra documents need to submit for Tatkal.

    1. administrator

      You should apply in Noida at nearest PSK, where you live. The address will be of the place where you currently live. Frankly, the address on the passport does not really matter. So, dont worry too much about it.



      1. administrator

        Yes, you can apply without any issue. You will need to carry your current address proof. The address on your wife’s passport does not matter.

  27. Anita

    I and my husband are not on talking terms currently and hence cannot take his consent for my baby’s passport. What option do I have here?
    We are married not separated, but living separately at the moment.


    HI Sir i m pushpendra,

    I want to apply for passport for my newborn kid , the address in my passport and in my wife’s passport is in different location, in my passport no spouse name but in my wife passport spouse name(my name) available. do i need to change my passport also for spouse name before applying kid pasport??

    1. administrator

      No, you do not need to change your passport. As long as one of the parents passport is endorsed with spouse name, that is good enough.

      1. babypassport

        Hi, Me and my Wife’s Passport have different address and Spouse name not endorsed in our Passport as these passport are before our marriage. Now I have 1 month baby and we are currently in completely different location as per our passport. So shall I apply passport for my baby with current address ? what docs needed and whats the process ? thanks in advance for Info.

  29. Swati Jain

    My passport doesn’t have my husband name and address is different on both passports (me n my husband). Do we need to have new passports for us before applying for our baby’s passport.

      1. Tina

        Hi I’m looking to apply for a passport for my baby who is 4Months old…My name is endorsed on my husbands passport..Is it compulsory to carry both the parents original passports to the psk or only husbands original passport will do?

  30. ajmal babu

    Hello sir,,m wrking in Saudi Arabia n my husband in Qatar…we just entered for wrk…so we can’t got to our native place now,,we are from India( Kerala) . Our baby is residing with our parents at Kerala,,we want to take passport for him,,he is 5 mnths old,,n each of us can’t go along with him for taking passport,,,n most of all our spouse names not get endorsed yet…wat shud we do…plz help…I want to get my child to Saudi Arabia soon…plz give me suggestions…

  31. Khushnuma

    I need to apply for passport of my 2 year daughter. Husband is living in different city and he does not have a passport and h will not be able to come to Passport office but he does not have any objection too.
    Now I am planning to go for higher studies abroad with my daughter.So wanted to apply for her passport.
    I have her birth certificate issue from gram panchayat office and my passport has my spouse name updated i the passport.I did read that if only one parent is physically available they need to submit annexure ‘g’.and some place I read it as annexure ‘c’.
    Can any one of you suggest what all documents are required and regarding the annexure c or g and who should be signing the annexure if required any.

  32. Muthu

    Why Annexure “H”? is it supposed to be Annexure “D”?

    look at the below link..

    1. Keens

      Thank you soo much for this blog
      I applied for my daughter’s passport all by myself and the passport reached us in 2days.It is so easy to apply once the parents have their spouse name included in each others passport with the current residing address.. all you need is a passport size photograph of the baby in white backgroud, birth certificate which can be easily printed online and annexure D signed by the parents. I got my husband sign it at home so he needn’t come all the way to the PSK . So go ahead and do it yourself.

      1. Tamil

        In my case, my husband passport address is different and my passport address is different. So what is the procedure to get passport for my 1yr baby.

        1. administrator

          The difference in address of the passports of your husband and yours does not really matter. All you need is to submit a proof of your current address.

  33. Rashi Sinha

    I got separated from my husband but not divorced yet. I have to go abroad for further studies with my 4 month old daughter. Can I apply for her passport without the documents required from her father’s side(his passport copy). Please tell if any affidavit required in such case, because her father would not cooperate for passport. Thanks in advance.

    1. administrator

      As per rules passed last year, you can apply without father’s details. Check here . As of process, you can apply for passport for your daughter, even if you are not legally divorced. You will need to sign Annexure C on plain paper and carry proof of address and date of birth certificate. You can check document advisor for the same, there is a check box for your situation.

  34. Tanuka Mustafi w/o Ganesh Mudveeraiah c/o Prasenjit Mustafi

    I gave birth to a baby girl at Jamshedpur, State Jharkhand . My and husband’s Passport has Tarikere, Dist Chikmagalur , Karnataka as a proof of residence. I managed to get my baby daughter’s birth certificate from Jamshedpur , which certifies her place of birth as JAMSHEDPUR and permanent residence at Tarikere,
    Now will you please inform me whether i may apply and receive my baby’s passport at Jamshedpur, State Jharkhand and what documents i have to produce at the Office faithfully yours Tanuka Mustafi

    1. administrator

      You should apply for passport where you live. Your baby’s birth location does not matter. You can take the birth certificate and apply at the place where you live in Karantaka.

  35. Nilesh

    Thanks for the information. i have few questions, i am in US now and my daughter dont have the passport, so is my presences required while applying the passport ? Thanks

    1. administrator

      Usually, both parents need to be present. But, for cases like you, where you cannot be present, you can got to nearest Indian high commission and get a sworn affidavit that can be sent to your family back in India and they can carry the original copy sent from you and apply for passport without your presence. Check your nearest Indian high commission or embassy for more details on their website.

  36. Sagar

    Hello All,
    First of all thanks to everyone for taking time to share your feedback.
    I have one question about applying a passport for my minor kid.
    My wife and I have a passport with address of Gujarat. But right now my wife is in Hyderabad with my kid. Can we apply for a passport from Hyderabad or do we have to apply it in Gujarat only?

    Thanks in advance !1

    1. administrator

      You should apply for passport from Hyderabad as it is your current address. You can apply at any nearest PSK.

  37. Sundar

    Thanks for composing. This site helps too with addition steps and information.

  38. suresh


    1. administrator

      Sorry for the trouble, but to be clear, I have taken appointment and visited the PSK. Some users said that you can do a walk-in as well. If you read closely, I say that “I recommend taking appointment”. Either case, I will update the article again and put disclaimer that you need to check with PSK.

    1. Adnan

      Thanks for ur update.
      I need one more information.
      I am in abroad now, my passport address from delhi & my wife having passport from another state & my daughter born in 3rd state.
      So i wann to know if i make birth certificate of my baby at birth place.
      It will be valid to apply through my address.
      Kindly reply Asap.

  39. Sree

    Thank you for nice information. I have some queries.
    Me and my wife have passports. Myself and my wife’s passport doesn’t have spouse entry .
    We both have have Japan visa. We would like to apply passport for our new born baby.
    My passport address is my college address and my wife passport address is her father address.
    She has Aadhar card with same address. I have aadhar card with my permanent address.
    I can get sword certificate from embassay and I will present while applying passport.
    We have marriage certificate.Names on marriage certificate and Aadhar cards are same as passport.
    Q1. I will give my permanent address as address proof for my baby. Is it okay??
    Q2. Can we get baby passport without spouse entry.
    Q3. If we can not get passport without spouse entry. I want to add my name in my wife’s. passport. In this case same day can I proceed for both requests.
    Please help me.

    1. MP

      Hi Sree,
      I too was in the same case. I applied for the endorsement for spouse name and the change of address to my permanent address along with the address proofs and marriage certificate. Passport was granted with post police verification. Also I have scheduled the appointment on the same day for my baby too as I can give my wife passport file number can be given an reference. But they have asked to apply for my baby passport later as both of our address are different and spouse name has not been endorsed already. Somehow got the passport granted with pre police verification for my baby. So I suggest better complete yours or your wife’s passport reissue. Once done apply for baby along with your wife passport and it will be hassle free and no police verification is required.

      I have applied both the passports under normal category in chennai. Hope this helps who are sailing in the same boat.


  40. Arumugam

    Hi ,

    I want to apply for passport for my newborn kid , the address in my passport and in my wife’s passport is in different location ( Chennai) while we are living in different location now ( Tirunelveli)

    Q1: Would we be able to apply passport from tirunelvli passport seva office ?
    Q2: My wife has address proof ( adhar card ) with address in tirunelveli can we produce that for address proof for my kid ?

    Thanks in advance for the help

    1. Ashutosh

      Hi Arumugam,

      Same situation is there with me. We are living in different city and address printed on mine and my wife’s passport is of our hometown.(mt passport has my hometown address printed and my wife’s passport has her hometown’s address printed.)
      Please let me know, what to do in this case?

      Thanks in advance.

      1. administrator

        Yes, shold apply at local PSK, where you live. Past addresses on passport does not matter. You can submit address proof of current address.

    2. administrator

      Q1: Yes, you can.
      Q2: Yes, you should.
      You should always apply at the place, where you live. Past addresses on passports does not matter.

  41. khan

    Dear kumar ,

    my baby born in delhi hospital ( my wife home)and my passport of Mumbai
    but on my wife passport have my name as husband we have birth certificate address delhi but I need address on my baby girl passport of Mumbai so no issue.we have marriage certificate of Mumbai and I am leaving in Saudi Arabia so she can alone go for passport

    Kindly advice

    Best regards

    1. Sazid Khan

      Sir, Can i apply for a minor in lucknow whose present address is in (ballia, utaar pradesh)? Is it necessary that the father should be available at PSK?

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.