One of the most commonly asked questions is around “how to apply for minor/ child passport, where either of the parents or both of them have their passports, but neither of the spouse’s names are not endorsed in their passports”. Recently my sister applied for her kid’s passport, thanks to her for taking time to share her experience in Bangalore, India PSK. You can share yours here
Background of our Minor/ Child Passport Application:
We were planning to apply passport for our child, who is minor and little over 15 years of age. Key thing is that my spouse ( father) has an expired passport, which got expired in 2002 and spouse name is not endorsed in the father’s passport. Also, I (Mother) do not have passport and we were applying for my passport along with the child’s passport. Before we share our experience, below is the clarification everyone wants.
Can you apply for passport without spouse name endorsed? How does it work?
As we had expired passport of child’s father and the spouse name was not endorsed, we were in confusion. Also, I was applying for my passport as well, we were not sure how it would work. So, we called customer service to ensure we can apply for our kid’s passport at the same time. They said it all can be done at the same time. Below is the actual rule and what was done at the passport office.
- What’s the rule for endorsement of parents names in passport? The rule is that, if either one of the parents have passport (valid or expired), it is mandatory to have their spouse name endorsed on it to apply for child’s passport.
- How was the minor passport applied at Passport office without Spouse name endorsed? As we went to passport office, the front desk, where tokens are issued, suggested that first we apply for our passports ( child’s parents) and get our names endorsed with spouse names as part of the process and then come back to the front desk with acknowledgement letter given to us to get the token number for child passport.
After we completed our process inside the passport office, we went to the front desk and took our “Acknowledgement Letters” given at the exit stage, which is the last step at passport office. The front desk guys took our letters and noted the File Numbers from them on to the child/ minor passport application file and let us go through the same steps we went through the process.
- What’s the key point from this ? You can apply for new or changes to expired passport for parents to endorse spouse name and also apply minor’s passport ( includes babies as well ) at the same time. It is just at the passport office, the parents would get their applications processed first and their applications’ file numbers after their process are used to apply for the minor or child’s passport.
How to apply for Minor Passport Online – India – Step by step Guide: Below is our complete experience on applying for our child’s passport at Bangalore. It should be same at any other PSK location.
- Fill Online Application, Payment, Book Slot : The process is pretty straight forward. You need to register online at Indian Passport Website and create online application for your child, pay and book a slot. We followed standard steps mentioned here on Filling up Passport Application Online and paid the fee online and booked slot at the same time as ours. After your online steps are done, you need to print the application form and then carry it on the day.
- Documents Required for Minor Passport Application: You need to carry all the originals of the required documents listed below and also carry a photo copy of the same signed by your child. It is mandatory to have the photo copies self-attested by your child. Below is the checklist :
- Birth Certificate issued by municipality/ registrar of births
- Study Certificate at the School (This will be listed as employer certificate )
- Annexure H – Declaration signed by Parents
- Aadhar Card – (Used for address proof. You can use any other address proof.)
- Ration Card – Showing family ( optional )
You can see below acknowledgement letter given at the exit of passport office that shows the submitted documents. The two additional documents you see are
- Scanned application form – printed by passport office team
- ARN (application reference number) from parents passport application.
As our child was 15 years old, the eligibility was for 10 year passport and we took that. Usually, minors under 15 years are given only 5 years validity.
- Steps at Passport Office on Day of Appointment: We went about 15 minutes before our time, there is no need, we were let in as per the batch number on the application receipt that was printed from online. The front desk team suggested that we do our passports process with endorsement of spouse name first and come back. It was all done in 45 minutes and then we gave our acknowledgement letters, they wrote down the file numbers on them and issued the token after verification of the documents originals and photo copies.
- Stage 1 – A Counter : We had to wait in line for the token, then went to stage A counter, where they scanned all the documents, and made our child sign the application, along with that we had to sign as well as the application is for minor. Once that is done, we had to go back and wait for stage B.
- Stage 2 – B Counter : At B counter again they verify all the documents, against the originals, check everything and check about parents, their consent and presence and then sent us stage 3
- Stage 3 – C counter : this took more time as the process was slow and done by government employees I guess, they just verify everything again and then take the file and give us the token number page.
- Stage 4 – Exit Counter : the last step is to go to exit counter and show them the token number page issued at the beginning. They will check and give you an acknowledgement letter printed ( see above )
- Exit Gate : The security at exit gate will collect the token number page that was issued and just let you retain the acknowledgement letter for your reference. You will need this for tracking status and police verification as well.
That’s about it, it was pretty straightforward and no issues.
You may also read How to apply for Baby Passport India – Documents
What was your experience applying for Minors passport ? Share your thoughts.