Home » US Immigration - Visas » F1 Visa » Difference between F1 Visa OPT vs CPT? Day 1 CPT ? STEM OPT ?

Difference between F1 Visa OPT vs CPT? Day 1 CPT ? STEM OPT ?

When international students arrive in America on an F1 visa, they usually try to find and start to work in on-campus jobs. In general, F1 Visa students become eligible to work at companies after a couple of semesters…sometimes, you can work even before that, depending on the program and school. These work options are broadly classified under practical training. The goal is to provide training opportunities in the US for international students to gain on-the-job learning.

There are primarily two options of practical training that most F1 students use: Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and  Optional Practical Training (OPT). Also, some may be eligible for STEM OPT. This article covers all the basics and looks at the differences.

What is Curricular Practical Training ( CPT)?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is primarily given to F1 Visa International students to work and gain experience in their field of study when they are studying.  CPT is usually part of the program and you get credit for working on CPT. The credits you did for CPT would also be counted towards your degree. This is the reason CPT is only done by students before they graduate.

Most of the good schools only allow students to work on CPT after 2 semesters or 9 months( one academic year i.e, Fall & Spring) after entering the US.   Also, to use CPT, you need to work with the academic department or your specific career services and international student advisor within the university to get CPT approved. You would also need to register for CPT as a course credit in your enrollment system.  

When employers offer a job, they either call it a Co-op or an Internship. However, for F1 students, on their course record and immigration status perspective, it is classified as Curricular Practical Training(CPT). You can look at CPT as legally working for a potential employer who is giving you an opportunity to prove yourself while you are studying. Also, you get paid when you work on CPT.

 How long can you work on CPT? Risks of losing OPT?

Usually, you can work for up to 20 hours on CPT during the regular semester(Fall & Spring) as a full-time student. During summer break, when you do not take any courses, you can work for up to 40 hours on CPT.

It is suggested that you do not work on CPT for more than 12 months (full-time). If you do so, you will not get your OPT after you graduate. Also, you can only work on CPT until you graduate. CPT is considered part of the program, and you cannot work on CPT after you graduate.

How to get CPT approved?

You will need to work with the DSO ( Designated School Official) or International student Adviser and your academic department to process your CPT application. DSO would issue you a new I-20 indicating the CPT approval.  

You might have to work with the career services at your school sometimes for the processing of the paperwork for CPT. Also, some schools do not allow CPT if you do not have a job offer in the city where the University is based. Basically, these schools want to ensure you go to work on CPT and also take in-person classes at the University. So, you need to make sure and check with the school on the CPT requirements to get approval.

What is Day 1 CPT? Issues with Day 1 CPT?

Sometimes, based on the program, the Designated School Official(DSO) at a university may authorize working on CPT during the first semester. If they authorize F1 students to work on CPT from Day 1 ( meaning the start of school), then it is classified as Day 1 CPT.

Day 1 CPT is not common in most of schools in America. Only a few of the shady schools/universities, which can be viewed as “degree mills” kind of schools, offer Day 1 CPT.  There is a lot of fraud around Day 1 CPT schools.

Many students, without this knowledge, fall into the trap and end up in situations like arrests and deportation as in the Univ of Farmington Day 1 CPT scandal. With Day 1 CPT, you may not even get H1B approved with Change of Status(COS) as USCIS usually treats Day 1 CPT status as not legal.

Also, if you are going for a second Master’s degree, you are not eligible for CPT from Day 1; it is a misconception that you have already been in the US for two semesters. All the standard rules of CPT apply, read Can you work on CPT from Day 1 in Second Masters in the US.

What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

Optional Practical Training(OPT) is a form of practical training that is given to international F1 students to work in their field of study. It is typically given to gain on-the-job experience and practical experience for the academic knowledge gained in the degree program.

OPT is usually given for 12 months for all degree holders, with an option to extend it for 24 months for anyone getting a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics(STEM) fields.  This STEM OPT used to be 17 months, but a new rule was passed in 2015 to extend 17 months to 24 months OPT.

Unlike CPT, the OPT is not part of the curriculum, and you do not get any credit for your degree. There are two types of OPT, called pre-completion OPT and post-completion OPT.

Pre-completion OPT

Pre-completion OPT is to work in the student’s major or study area before the F1 student’s graduation.  You must be enrolled in the degree program full-time for one academic year to participate in pre-completion OPT. 

If you are using pre-completion OPT, you can work part-time for up to 20 hours when school is in session and you are enrolled full-time. You can work for up to 40 hours or full-time during summer breaks. 

If the student chooses to use pre-completion OPT, the respective amount of time is deducted from the 12-month OPT time period that you get after you graduate. For instance, if you work on Pre-completion OPT for 5 months, then you will be eligible only for 7 months of post-completion OPT.

Post-completion OPT

Post-completion OPT is given to F1 students to work in the student’s field of study after the F1 student’s graduation. Typically, most students use OPT after graduating from the school. So, if you hear students or anyone referring to OPT, they mean post-completion OPT. They usually do not use “post-completion” as this is the common way of calling, and it is how many use it.

General rules of OPT, like working in the same field of study, apply here as well. General OPT is given for 12 months duration if you have not used it before graduation and have not worked on CPT full-time for 12 months. You may be eligible for a 24-month extension of OPT if your degree falls under the STEM category.

To utilize OPT, you need get Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS. You will have to fill EAD application (I-765 form) and send it to USCIS. As per the USCIS OPT application process, You can apply for OPT up to 90 days before you graduate and no longer than 60 days after you graduate.

You need to plan your OPT and apply on time so that you are in OPT after you graduate. You will lose your status in the US if you don’t have OPT started within 2 2-month grace period. You can work for anyone in OPT, there are no restrictions, but it must be related to your degree area of study.

What is STEM OPT?

STEM OPT is nothing but OPT given for certain F1 visa students, who are eligible based on their degree category. In 2015, USCIS announced a new set of rules stating that if your degree belongs to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)  degree fields, you are eligible to apply for STEM OPT Extension. You get another 24 months if STEM OPT is approved.

To avail of the 24-month OPT, you need to be part of the listed STEM Designated Degrees by DHS by having the right CIP Code for your degree to qualify for a STEM Degree.  To get STEM OPT approval, there are certain rules like you can work for only an E-Verified employer and training reporting guidelines that are set forth by USCIS that a student need to follow during the STEM OPT period. If that is not followed properly, then USCIS can question your status details during your H1B period, so all care needs to be taken to be in proper status.

When you work on STEM OPT, you need to inform your DSO about the employers you are working with so that they can keep your employment status in SEVIS. When you are on STEM OPT, you are still on an F1 visa, and you need to comply with all the F1 visa-related rules. You need to have a valid I-20 and keep close contact with DSO for any travel as well.

Now that we know all three, let’s compare OPT and CPT in a tabular format for easy review.

Differences between OPT vs. CPT

Comparison Aspect



Primary PurposeProvision to work in a company as an F1 student to get practical work experience during studying for a degree, before graduationProvision to work in a company on F1 status after graduation to gain experience in the same field of education
Typical Student StatusFull-time F1 student in school.Provision to work in a company as an F1 student to get practical work experience during studying for a degree before graduation
Course FeeIn general, students graduated with a degree and on F1 status in the US, with the exception of students leveraging pre-completion OPT,No need to pay the University, but need to file an application with USCIS and pay the application fee.
Degree RequirementsWorking on CPT will be part of degree requirements and directly related to the student’s area of studyNot related to degree requirements. Pursued after graduation in the same field.
Approved ByUSCIS approves OPT. DSO issues I-20 in support of the OPT application and student files application with USCISOPT is approved by USCIS. DSO issues I-20 in support of the OPT application and student files application with USCIS
Employment DurationCan be done for up to 12 months. But, if you work in CPT for 12 months full time, you will not be eligible for OPTThe typical duration of 12 months after graduation and can be extended by 24 months if part of a STEM Degree and qualified for it.
Employer InfoAn employer needs to provide training related to study, their name is printed on I-20. Student submits CPT report in School for credit award for degreeIt is students’ responsibility to get training work in OPT in their related field. There is no report submitted to the school. Only DSO is informed of the school and details are printed on I-20.
EADA student does not get Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCISStudent gets EAD from USCIS after approval of OPT
How long to ProcessUsually done full-time after graduation. If leveraging pre-completion OPT, then is part-time during classes and full-time during summerThere is no application fee, only a course credit fee paid to the school
Application FeeIt can be either full-time (40 Hours) CPT or part-time. Usually done 20 hours part-time during school and 40 hours during summerAn application fee of $410 USD is paid to USCIS
Working Full time or part-timeUsually done full-time after graduation. If leveraging pre-completion OPT, then is part-time during classes and full time during summerCan take anywhere from 60 to 90 days or more, depending on the USCIS workload.
CPT vs OPT Comparison

Many rules are outlined by DHS to make sure you are using your OPT and CPT properly. You will need to work with your DSO and ensure you follow and use those rules without violating any status.

Did you work on OPT or CPT? What has been your experience? Any thoughts to share on these?

You can read more at the Official website links at: USCIS OPT Page , State.gov F1 Students CPT


Other Articles


  1. Hi,
    I’m currently doing OPT under my Bachelor degree. I’m going to comeback to my Master degree under the same University in Spring 2018. Can I apply for Pre-OPT and work in Spring 2018?

    • Hi. I am working on CPT and I got another better opportunity. When I contacted the DSO, I was told that I cannot change employers mid way, and I need to complete the entire duration at one employer only. I am not sure if it is right or just being forced to the whims of the university. The employment change I am seeking is really a major career opportunity for me and I don’t want to lose this. Any comments and help on this would be appreciated.

  2. Dear all,

    Could you please help me with this situation. I got my CPT and on CPT the work location is mentioned very clearly as per the university norms. Now, I am going to a different work location as my job demands relocation to a different place. Will that have any impact.

    I appreciate your help

  3. I have completed summer(2016) on h4, and spring(2017) and summer(2017) on F1 as a Full Time student. So Am I eligible for CPT in Fall 2017?

  4. Hi,
    I am currently pursuing MBA in information systems and graduating in this summer Aug 2017. Now I got accepted another school in MS-IS. so in case if I don’t apply opt for MBA degree, can I get 29 months opt for MS-IS after completing MS???
    Also, can we get 2 opt after completing 2 different masters?

    • You will NOT get 2 OPTs. You will need to check with school if MS-IS degree falls under STEM and you are eligible for extension and get 29 months OPT. Talk to your DSO.

  5. Hello,
    I looking at getting a full-time CPT for 11 months.
    The employer is willing hire me for the 11 months.
    I understand that CPT works on a semester-by-semester system.
    Can I submit a job offer letter for 11 months – or do I have to ask the employer to split it for each semester?
    Someone who’s done CPT with the same employer for 11 months – please give me your input.

    • Offer letter with 11 months should suffice.
      Read below statement if you plan to graduate at the end of your 11 months CPT:
      The offer letter can actually have more than 11 months if it specifically says internship and does not mention anything about CPT. This is because you can work in a internship even on your OPT status. (Assuming that after 11 months you will graduate and your status will change to OPT and your EAD start date is the day after your Graduation.)
      Having said that, getting EAD on time is not in your control, so preferably have the graduation date as the end date on your offer letter.

    • You have to split the semesters and breaks (summer/winter/spring). The employment letter needs to state the dates you can work during the semester plus the number of hours each week (generally up to 20 hours). When you have a break, write another employment letter stating the dates the break starts and ends with the number of hours you will work each week (generally up to 40 hours or more). You have to do this each time because the maximum amount of hours you work will change.

  6. Hello, I got accepted for computer science masters degree at Maharishi University, it’s a university in Iowa, it offers a program where you can study full time for 8 months, and you can take Cpt up to two years, is that possible? And if so, can I apply as normal to It companies when they post a senior position? And is it even easy to get one specially right now?

    • Hisham,
      CPT for two years sounds like a big scam for me…Most of the good schools do not have such programs. There are many degree mills that create programs like these to lure students. Check Students Deported from US to get an idea of such scandals. Do your due diligence and make an informed decision.

  7. Hi, Kumar!

    I am an OPT holder. I work as a teacher where I got an offer for fall, winter, and spring. I have a question of whether I need to find a job in the summer since teaching jobs are fewer in the summer. The question is: Do I have to work in the summer as Post-Completion Opt. My Opt expiration date is Sept 2017. However, I am positive that I get a job in fall 2017. Do you suggest any window where I should apply for the extension for my Opt (2nd year)?

  8. Hello,

    I am currently on my Initial OPT status. I have not applied to STEM OPT Extension. I am taking admission for my Second Master’s Degree. My question is can i apply for my STEM OPT extension when i finish my second masters???

  9. I am a Masters graduate from USA. I was working on a contract on OPT Visa and my project got ended. At the same time, i also applied for OPT extension. Sooner i got a new contract but my OPT extension got denied. My employer is suppose to file my visa this year, However , they have asked me to enroll in some online course to get CPT status in order to work on a new project.

    Is this possible to work full time while enrolling in an Online course.
    Please advise

    • Rajat,
      These are all work arounds that many try to do…you need to be very careful with these things. I recommend you talk to your DSO and get their advice.

  10. Dear Sir/Madam,

    A former student of mine was approved for a CPT during her second semester (before nine months had passed). She is now about to graduate and applying for the OPT. Is having done the CPT before nine months had passed problematic – that is, could it cause her application for the OPT to be rejected? The school policy seems to be that a student has to wait 9 months; however, they did not notice it at the time and approved her. It seems, according to your website, that the waiting period depends on the school (not on the US government). Thank you in advance for your reply.

    • Winston,
      It is hard to say…not sure…If they have worked for over a year on CPT, then definitely, it is a problem. I recommend to check with DSO at the school as they would have guidance on this.

  11. Hi,
    My name is Sindhu. I’m presently doing my Masters in Wilmington University. I have done 1 semester in Texas A & M University. This is my 1st semester in Wilmington University. I will be graduating this december. Can I take 4 online courses in summer or will I have impact on OPT status due to those online courses during summer.

    • Sindhu,
      In general, it should not have any impact as course load is not tied to OPT. Usually working on CPT impact OPT period. I always recommend to speak to your DSO to get it clarified from your official channel of support.

  12. Sir

    I will be completing my BS Computer Science in May 2018. What should be my strategy to work & settle in USA.
    For OPT I need to start when. How critical is Summer Internship? I am unable to get Summer internship.

    Thanks to help ,
    Nirmaan (F1 , India)

    • Nirmaan,
      It is no longer easy to work and settle in US as you are at the mercy of H1B lottery ( as of today)…Summer internship is critical to get full time job…If you do not get it, you will need to work a little harder to get the job…having an internship helps you to join the same company…

  13. Hello.
    I am waiting for my OPT Card. I have worked spring, summer and fall for 6credits each semester (total 18credits). I have done MBA (NON-STEM). My school stated that campus part time job doesn’t reduce OPT time (12 months).
    But I found contradictory information on your website.
    Does part time job on campus would reduce my OPT?
    If yes, for long approximately my OPT would be deducted.
    Please guide.

    • Hi Kaur,

      For CPT less than or equal to 20 hrs per week (which is also known as part-time CPT) is not going to affect your OPT. But for full-time (20 hrs per week) CPT, it should not exceed 364 days. If you exceed 364 days, you are not eligible to get OPT at all. I think you are coming under 1st scenario, part-time CPT, which is not going to bother your CPT.

      Please let me know, if you have any questions.



  14. Hi Kumar, I’m extremely stressed about my situation. Please advise.
    My Masters cap-subject H1b was denied this year on frivolous ground. A motion to reopen the case is pending with USCIS for almost 5 months. Case status is still ‘Case received’. 2 Service requests raised so far – USCIS just says case is pending and they can’t comment when the review process will be completed. I even approached the senator. Nothing has worked so far. My OPT is valid till Jan 31st, 2017. I work through my employer at client location. H1b is filed for specialty work at client location. My employer is pushing me to apply for CPT from a university that offers Day 1 CPT from January. But I know continuing employment under CPT is very very risky. I don’t want to jeopardize my case further.

    If I don’t apply for CPT from January and work on OPT till Jan 31st, will my MTR case be in danger since I’m no longer working at the client place. My H1B has been filed by my employer for specialty work at client location. I’m willing to work till Jan 31st….What if USCIS contact my client on Feb 15th and asks about me? My contract is long term. I have submitted exhaustive documentation supporting my case. My h1b was denied unfairly.
    Is not working on CPT at client location better than CPT for my existing Motion to Reopen application on H1b? Please advise.Thanks.

    • Soham,
      You are in tricky situation, I suggest you work with your attorney, who filed your H1B and take their advice. In all reality, you can work on OPT till end of your OPT period at any place, it should be fine and should not impact your other aspects of case. Work with your immigration attorney to avoid any complications.

  15. I am currently working in the USA on F1 OPT visa. I want to know whether I can invest my money in stocks or get some side income by doing social media/online work? Will this affect my status or should I wait for my H1b visa to get picked.

    Thanks in Advance.

  16. Hi kumar

    I m B.tech in computer science from India. I have 2 year work experience .I have H4b visa. Currently i am living in santa clara, california. I need to find school. please help me to get leads for cpt/ opt ?



  17. Currently I am studying M.S. from NYIT. I am going to complete 24 credits at the end of my current Fall-2016 semester. I was full time student (9 credits per semester in Graduate program) in Spring-2016 semester and Fall-2016 semester. I am going to graduate in May 2017 as I will take my remaining 6 credits in Spring 2017 semester (it will be considered full time graduate student as I have only 6 credits left). I started my study on H-4 visa. I applied to USCIS for change of status from H-4 to F-1 visa in June 2016 and I recently got approval in November 2016.

    Now, I have to go to India in this December 2016-January 2017. So I have to go to US embassy in India to get F-1 visa stamped on my passport.

    So, I want to know that will I be eligible for OPT from May 2017 (after completion of my graduation) or no?

    My contact no is 201-747-0018. Please let me know if you need any more information.

    Thank you,

    • Hi, Ravi. I am also an international student who studies one of the STEM majors. To my knowledge, you are eligible if you did not do CPT more than 12 months. The main thing is just to communicate with your respective DSO office and to plan your OPT ahead.

  18. Sir,

    I have a question about F1 OPT/OPT Extension. I did my Bachelors in Computer Science at a college in India. In August 2015, I came to the U.S. for a Masters in Business Analytics (which is a STEM course, sometimes also called ‘Data Science’ by some universities and employers). I will be graduating in January 2017 and have applied for OPT already.

    I have two decent job offers but both of them are Software Development Engineer jobs with reputed Software companies. If I join, will this cause problems for me with the F1 OPT rules? Some people have told me that this might not be allowed as my M.S. study field was Analytics and the job is in Software Development, while OPT rules demand that M.S. study and job should be in same field.

    What should I do now? Should I reject the job offers and start looking for jobs in Analytics?

  19. [PHEHI


    • Ramesh,
      You can check any of the Universities websites for the details on what is required and you can work on-campus to cover your living expenses upto 20 hrs.

  20. Hi Kumar ,
    Thanks for the information provided . I’m working on CPT now and planning to visit my home town . How many days can I stay out of us in CPT . Is there any limit for this .

  21. Hi Kumar,

    I did my BE in Electronics from Pakistan. I came to US on F1 visa in University of New Hampshire for Masters program. But it was too expensive to afford so I took a transfer from UNH to ESL institute to buy some time and meanwhile I started searching for affordable universities and planned to apply for the OPT after my Masters in Computer Science.
    Few days back I received the Acceptance letter from Virginia International University for Masters in Computer Science program.
    As I planned, I opt to move forward for coming Fall semester and after my MCS program I’ll apply for OPT.
    But than I came know that its not that easy, to get accepted for OPT, the reputation of the University matters a lot. VIU is a non profit small university and chances for getting OPT from VIU are less.
    I am in a phase of time where admissions are closed for upcoming Fall semester in almost all universities.
    Please suggest me what should I do ?

    Please find time to review my case. I’ll be very thankful and will be waiting for your kind response.


  22. Hi kumar
    I luckly found sponser and filled H1b 2016 on april 1st but again my bad luck did not get selected .
    Now my sponser is advising to join
    Some school to get opt/ cpt nd work for 20 hrs .
    I m BE in EEE from india .

    Nw i need to find school plz help me to get leads for cpt/ opt ?
    Or wht school i should join ?
    If i join language school will i get cpt ?

  23. I started working on CPT in a major automotive company in May 2016. I plan to work till end of Spring 2017 semester with which I will graduate. So my total CPT period will be 11 months 6 days. Will it impact my OPT eligibility? (I plan to take OPT start date as my Spring 2017 graduation date i.e. end of April.)
    AND, is there any official USCIS rule which doesn’t allow one to work on CPT in last semester(in my case Spring semester)?
    Please share some thoughts as this is an important question for me. I appreciate your feedback comment in advance!

    • Well, if you have 12 months of full time CPT you will be in-eligible for OPT. If you are doing part time CPT for 11 months, it should be ok. I am not sure, what that 6 days mean to your OPT application. I suggest you check with DSO. Also, there is no such rule. In fact, many take CPT in the last semester.

    • Hi Anonymous – I would like to know the process to get into automotive industry or any mechanical engineering jobs on CPT as I am currently on F1 Visa studying MS mechanical Engineering. Can you please send details or your email\phone# to cul72guy@gmail.com. Thank You for guiding me through the process as a mentor as information regarding mechanical jobs for mechanical students is very limited to non-existence.

  24. Hi,
    I have an f1 visa for 4 months now . I am a student at a language school. Now i want to go for masters in IT which offers CPT. But they said i have to be on f1 status for 9 months before getting my CPT approval. Will my 4 months at my language school count? Or its after i join that particular course?

  25. Hi ,I came US four months back I am on H4 visa and I have 6+ experience in MNC. I want to know if I start study here like MS so can I work during study period? Any options where I can use my experience?

  26. Hi,
    If i do full time CPT for 8 moths, will it not affect my OPT ? If No in that case for how much duration i will get OPT, will it be 4 months( 12 month – 8 (cpt months) ) or it will be full 12 months?

  27. Hey! Thanks for article…My question is can we have the same employer in both CPT and OPT. I have red some article called “Bridge CPT” . Can you please explain me the meaning of that??

  28. I am a prospective MBA candidate from India. I understand that every year more than 300000 students graduate with advanced degrees in US. Also, H1B is accepted only for 20000 candidates. Considering this wide gap, I would like to know the following:

    1. What percentage of international students, whose H1B gets rejected because of the random selection system, return to their country?

    2. If the OPT period for STEM category students can get extended by 17 months, does that mean chances of acceptance of H1B for non-STEM students get bleaker every year?

  29. So When a company said it do not provide sponsorship, does it means that I can not use my CPT to work for them? I heard that when using CPT, school will provide sponsorship, so I can work for any company?

    • Arthur,

      When an employer hires you on CPT, no sponsorship is required. When filing a visa like H-1 or L-1, only then sponsorship is required. If you have CPT, then you can tell employer that you ave work authorization.

  30. I am in entering my third year at Wayne State University pharmacy school, I have applied for PRE-OPT employment card during the month of February. I understand that I have 12 months to use it after the date I receive the card.

    If for example I receive the card sometime in May of this year (May 2016) I am eligible to use it till May of next year (May 2017). My question is:

    During my fourth year I start doing my rotations for 8 months in the States, I know that Canadian students are put on CPT visa during their rotation period. In the case of someone who has PRE-OPT employment card expired in May 2017, would I be eligible to apply for CPT or would that be an issue?

    Thanks in advance

      • What if I do full time cpt for 8 to 9 months amd 3 months part time.. does it affect my opt period? Can they reduce my opt period?

        • Suprit Bagga,
          Technically, it should NOT. I suggest you speak with your DSO and do proper assessment to avoid any issues. In my experience, for the most part, CPT is done as one credit and for part time during regular course load, unless people are exploiting it like in some degree mills kinds of Universities.

    • Pratik,
      There is nothing called CPT visa. You arrive in US and can work on CPT after certain amount of time. We do not advise on schools here.

    • Pratik,
      As said above, there is no such visa and it cannot be good or bad…Read the article again, it gives you the basics of CPT and OPT.

  31. I am having experience in IT. If I have F1. and studying in USA. after how many months I can apply for work visa. is there any other visa other H1B. I know I can apply for H1B directly, but for student is there any other visa to extend your stay in USA

    • Arun,

      There are 2 visas to work in US – H-1B and L-1B. L-1B has it own requirements like having worked for the employer for at least 1 year outside US in previous 3 years – and this may limit the eligible companies to 1 or 2.

      H-1B can be filed by an employer only when the cap is available. So if you have an employer, they can file H-1B in April 2016 for a Oct 2016 start date.

  32. Hi,
    I have graduated from my studies and will begin my OPT work soon. Can I buy and sell stocks and forex as full time job after I got my own SSN?

    • Chang,

      Your full-time needs to be related to OPT. In the spare time, you can buy and sell stocks, but not at the expense of OPT.

  33. hello, does anyone knows of coleman university? is it good?
    it offers cpt from day one.is it a fraud?
    whcih university are good and provide cpt from day one?
    is it legal? will finding job will be eassy?

  34. I hold F1 visa without cpt. whether i can apply for internships in other countries. Further if one misses the deadline for CPT whether possible to take US internships

    • vivian,
      CPT is something that can be availed as F1 student in US to work and get credit. Usually CPT is given to study full time and work part time for credit in the same area in US and in the same city…Again, this varies by school and they may offer your CPT to work in other states in US as well if you are taking all online courses…You need to speak to DSO at your school to get clarity and also speak to your academic department on the rules.

  35. Hi ,
    I am a student US and looking to take my CPT in my last semester , would there be any complications or query while filling for H1.
    Kindly advise…..

  36. Hey guys ,

    Need you help..!!!

    Is work and study visa safe in Usa (f1-cpt).
    I heard we can work 40hours a week and study in the weekends.

    Do we get or convert h1b after completing 2 years of master under CPT visa category.

    Please let me know your concerns.

    • Surya Kiran, It is not work and study visa. It is Study visa called F1 visa. Some schools offer CPT from day one as part of curriculum. You need to be very careful with these kinds of schools as there is so much fraud involved. If your goal is to just work, maybe you should consider applying for H1B or transferring visa L1 visa…

  37. I did my CPT for 8 months during my masters and then transferred to OPT. Since my H1 was not picked, can I plan on going back to F1 student and continue my current job on CPT?

  38. Hi Hiren patel
    I am study In here MBA IT on F1 status but I have already MS Cs degree in London also I have BTech Ce in India degree so we able to apply for H1B in this term .. Or we can wait for cpt Ya OpT ?????

    • Hiren patel you are able to apply for H1B. Go ahead and apply as there are limited picks yearly do it ASAP and start earning big. all the best


Leave a Comment