Home » General Guides » Indian Passport » Guide to Apply Newborn baby passport in India ? Documents Checklist

Guide to Apply Newborn baby passport in India ? Documents Checklist

The process to apply for Indian Passport for a new born baby is easier than you think. It is pretty much similar to the Indian passport renewal/ re-issue in India. The process is straightforward and there is NO need to pay to an agent or anyone for this. I did everything on my own, without seeking anyone’s help. I received my baby’s passport in about a little over a week via registered post. I applied it as normal processing mode ( NOT Tatkaal). Let’s look at the details. At the end there are users experiences and many new updates in comments, do check them out.

Minor Passport Spouse Name Endorsement Requirement

If either of the parents or both of them have passport, there is a requirement to have spouse name endorsed on the passport. Without having this, you will not be able to apply for passport. Endorsement means, on the pages with address and other info, you will see your spouse name as well, see below screenshot.

Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport India
Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport

The general process is to apply for Spouse Name Endorsement first and then apply for baby passport. But, there is a work around for this. You can apply for both Passport of the Baby and also Spouse name endorsement on the same day. Read How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Now that you know the basic requirements, let’s look at the details step by step.

Step 1: Apply for Birth Certificate

Our baby was born in a little town in India and the first and foremost thing that I did was apply for a birth certificate at the municipality office. Depending on where your baby was born you would have to go the respective government body like Municipal office and apply for birth certificate.  Also, the hospital your baby was born in will ask you to fill out a form and you would need to mention all the details clearly on that, as that form will be sent to the municipal office or govt body.

It takes about two weeks to a month to get that. Nowadays everything is electronic. Depending on the state, you would have the state body give you a digitally signed birth certificate with an application number. I could check the details in the Govt website using the application number. You can submit your Passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy or Aadhar copy for spelling and proof.  Make sure your name, your spouse name and baby name are printed correctly, if not you will have issues. I had to re-apply for my birth certificate requesting corrections for the name as the address was wrong and they messed up the surname of my baby.  Eventually, I got the birth certificate of my baby in about 1.5 months.  This is the most important or the only document required I would say.

Step 2 : Register Account in Passport Seva Website, Complete Application

First thing you need to do is register and create an account at Passport Seva Website.  When you are registering a new account, you may not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) center in the drop down as it may not be the major one and just a collection or appointment  center. In that case, you select the head of the state. For instance, you may not see Tirupati in the list of  Passport Office, when you register, you will have to Select Hyderabad.  It can be very misleading, but trust me, I did exactly the same thing by selecting the head office.  

The process is pretty standard and ensure that all the spellings are correct. Make sure you give a valid email ID, as the link to activate your account and other status emails will be sent to the email address. Once you register you will get an email to activate your account, then you are set with registration.  You can check the guide to Applying Indian Passport Online, the basic steps on the website are same irrespective of the kind of passport.

You need to complete the application online, it is very much straight forward, you can download the PDF form and save and submit it or fill it online. Just make sure you complete the application online.

Step 3 : Walk-in with Application Receipt Printed (Check with PSK)

Some PSKs allow direct Walk-in appointments for some categories like Senior Citizens and Minors without prior appointment.  This always depends on the PSK and you will need to check with the PSK for this by calling them. In case, they allow direct walk-in appointment, you will need to take a print out of the Application Receipt (ARN) and carry that with you.

 You can pay the fee online and take the appointment as well.  As you are applying for minor, you may do a walk-in as well and pay it there.  In my case, I paid the fee online and took appointment as written in the below step 4 as I did not know that I can walk-in.  One of our readers Raju (Thanks to Raju ) shared his experience that you can do walk-in. But, we have been reported by other readers like Suresh in Delhi that you cannot do walk-in directly and need to take appointment.  In any case, to avoid issues, I highly recommend getting an appointment, if you have time to avoid any confusions at PSK. 

 Step 4  : Pay and Book Appointment on Passport Seva Kendra Website

After you register, activate and login to your account and complete the application, you will be have options to book an appointment. Look at the left side navigation, you will have service section saying “View my saved/submitted applications”. Click on that and then you will get options to “pay and schedule appointment”.  You will need to do payment before you can book an appointment.

You can pay using challan or visa/master card. Only certain banks are listed like State Bank of India, if you want to use specific bank card. I recommend using any Visa or Mastercard of any bank and get through the payment, as it saves a lot of hassle. I used a visa card of some different bank and had no problems. You can just pay first and do NOT book, if you are not sure of the schedule. I first paid the fees and completed the payment process. I was waiting for the right dates to open for booking slot.  

Usually dates would be available at about 4 to 5 days before the actual date of appointment. So, it is pretty clear, wait for the slots to open and book the date.  Also, there is no hassle in process, where you need wait at a certain time of the day for the slots to open and there is so many people booking at same time. With the payment process in place, it is very clear and there is no artificial demand created, so just book it at your convenient time, no need to pay some for getting slot.  Once your slot if booked using the system, take a print out the appointment receipt as you will need it for the entry at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK).  Read all the instructions clearly on the appointment letter as it has all the information you need.

Documents Checklist for Newborn Baby Passport in India

Assuming your situation is straightforward, with both parents alive and both are legally together, below are the Required documents List :

  1. Birth Certificate issued from the Govt Authority like Municipal office.Carry a copy of this.
  2. Proof of present address – usually parent’s passport with address is sufficient. If not, any utility bill, Aadhar Card, Gas connection, Election Voter ID, etc. with the address. We took copies of our passports ( mine and my wife’s) as it served as the address proof documents and other identification proof. Carry a copy of the address proof.
  3. Parents need to print and sign Annexure D from the passport Seva Kendra website
  4. One Passport Photo of the Baby with White Background.
  5. Printed copy of the PSK appointment receipt.

Optional documents:

My wife’s name was endorsed on my passport, so it was very straightforward. If not, it does not hurt to carry the Marriage certificate to avoid issues.

Common FAQs

I do not have spouse name endorsed on parents passport, can I apply for baby passport ?

You need spouse name to be endorsed on passport of at least one of the parents, if not, you cannot apply. But, you can do the spouse name endorsement and applying for baby passport on same day. Check How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Do I need to take Baby to Passport Office ?

Yes, you need to take Baby to the passport office. They take fingerprints of the baby at the passport office.

My Spouse is abroad, cannot come to Passport Office. Can I apply on my own ?

In the past, as per passport application guidelines, they required either both parents to be present or get the Annexure D as sworn affidavit signed by Indian High commission abroad to apply for passport in India for baby. But, this has changed in recent years and there is NO need to have both the parents. If one parent is traveling or abroad, they can submit Annexure C and indicate the reason as traveling or abroad and get passport of the new born baby.

Why Spouse Name endorsement for getting Baby passport ?

This is to get passport for the baby without police verification.

How long does it take to get Baby Indian passport ?

This totally depends on the PSK and hard to say. But, if everything is right and no complications, you should get passport in about 10 to 15 days under normal processing.

It is always recommend you all to check the passport office website to verify, if any changes to the process or required documents.

Check out the next step on Process at the Passport Seva Kendra for New Born Passport Application 

Baby Passport Applying User Experience at  PSK Ghaziabad

Hello All,  I went to PSK Ghaziabad today for the passport of my 7 month old baby and would like to share the entire story :

Documents Required :
1) Self Attested Copies of Father+Mother Passport ( With Originals )
2) Self Attested Birth Certificate of Minor
3) Passport size photograph
4) Passport Receipt Form
5) Annexure D

First of all, there is no direct walkin service at PSK, Ghaziabad for Minors, so we had to book the appointment and went on time. We entered and on the very first counter, he checked our initial documents, placed them in the file and asked us to go inside. We went inside and waited for about 15 mins max and our name was announced. For Minors, PSK give a token number starting from “S” which is a special case, so everywhere your token number will be treated on priority. And thats what happened, just when we were finished from Counter A ( max 10 mins ), our token number blinked for Counter B and then in next 2 mins, for Counter C. We were out in max 30 minutes.
It was such a great service there and we were highly delighted. Thanks PSK and Thanks TCS for such a great process.

Did I miss anything? Any other thoughts to add?


Other Articles


  1. Hi sir, I want to apply passport for my 3 months old baby, my husband is in UAE and can’t come now. I have baby’s birth certificate with me. My husband’s name is not endorsed in my passport but my name is endorsed in his passport.
    Is it compulsory to even endorse his name in my passport. If yes how should I do that. From the reply for previous queries I understood that marriage certificate is necessary for that. But I dont have the original certificate with me. It is with my husband in UAE. Is it possible with copy of the certificate? And as he is in UAE, his passport is with him, so is it possible with copy of his passport. And can you please tell what is annexures?

  2. Brother, thanks fr all d clear information.. And in my case ,my address in my passport is old address..and my husband passport address nobody is residing presently ..and me and my husband doesn’t have any ID proof with same address .suggest an option pls..tq

  3. HI ,

    I would like to apply passport for my 1 year old child. but I have passport before marriage and my wife passport has endorse my name (spouse name ) so is it also required to add spouse name in my passport??
    I have marriage certificate and birth certificate of my child.
    please let me know

    • No need to add your spouse name on your passport. If one parent has the spouse name endorsed, good enough. yes, both other documents would be sufficient.

  4. Hi
    We live in Saudi Arabia.(me,my wife,my son and a new born baby).

    My query is
    Is it compulsory to have our new born baby name included on one of parents passport?

  5. Hello Mr Kumar,
    I am an Indian and my wife is an Iranian, we have a baby boy, he is one month old. We live in Bangalore. My baby was born in Bangalore and got the Birth certificate on his name.

    – I have my passport with my wives name updated and current address in my passport is same as in my childs BC.
    – My wife has her OCI card with same address.
    Which process I should follow to get a passport for my son?
    Kindly help.
    Thanks and Regards,

    • Ravi,
      Yours case is a not a common one and there is a no clear guidance on if the process is different. The US Citizenship act says that your kid would get citizenship, if either of parents are citizen and the spouse is not an illegal immigrant. So, technically, it is the same process and you may be asked for your Spouse’s visa and status details in India to prove that they are legally present, which you already have. You may follow the same process above and go for it. Please share your experience, once you have gone through the process for everyone’s benefit.

  6. Hi ,myself Rohini, i have applied for passport for my 9 month baby, actually am residing in bangalore,but my permanent address is in kerala, whether i can apply for my baby in bengaluru ? Whether direct walk in available? When will i get my baby’s passport once applied for passport ?

    • You can apply in Bengaluru. You need to check, if there are walk-ins available by calling them. It can take couple of weeks to a month or so.

  7. at start page Which option need to select in normal case :- Please select applicable case like parents applied by legal guardian/for adopted child etc etc


  9. Hi Kumar,

    i want to apply passport for my Kid(3 month) i have birth certificate but problem is that name is not mentioned in that only its written baby of my wife name , is it possible to apply or i have to change the BC and then to apply.

    • It is better to get your Birth Certificate fixed with your kid’s current name so that it can be accepted as proof during passport application.

  10. Hi Kumar,

    I want to apply for my baby’s passport(six months old).I have my passport address as my parents address and my husband has his parents home address.We have marriage certificate and my husband’s name is endorsed in my passport.Do I still need to change my home address to my in – laws address.If I don’t change will it create any issues for making my baby’s passport.Kindly let me know.

    • You dont have to change your passport address, it does not matter what address you have or your husband has. You will need to provide the current address proof of where your family lives.

  11. Hello Kumar

    It’s good to see you are responding to many queries. Kudos to you.

    Myself and my kid (4 months old) are staying in Chennai(job) and my husband is currently in Bangalore.

    I am looking for applying passport fory kid here in chennai. We live in a rental house and only proof residence I can get is my company’s proof of residence.

    My passport address is in Hyderabad and my husband’s passport address in Bangalore.

    Will it be possible for me to apply passport for my kid in Chennai?

    • Thanks Swetha! You can ask your company to issue a letter on their letter head stating that you reside at your current location for address proof. Also, you can do a rental agreement and carry that as proof. Using these you can apply in Chennai. Address in your passport or your spouse’s passport does not matter, what matters is where you live today and proof for the same.

  12. Hi,

    I wish to apply for passport of my 3 mo kid.. My husband is posted in J&K and our passports got renewed there only. My baby was born there and birth certificate is also of Jammu only. Now I usually live with my parents due to my husband’s nature of job and want to apply for bub’s passport here in gujarat. For current address I have bank passbook in my name or electricity bill in my father’s name.. Is it possible to get it done in this case? If not, what else can be done.. My husband will not be available for the procedure as well…

    • It should be possible. Bank Passbook with your name and address from Gujarat will work. Also, you can mention that you are staying at your parents place and submit electricity bill as well as needed.

  13. Gone through the entire post and comments.
    Simple question to confirm:

    My Case is: 1 month old child in India and I travelled to US.
    My wife is in India with my name on her passport. She has marriage cert and birth cert for a child.

    Is Sworn affidavit extremely necessary to apply for childs passport?
    Can annexure C only help in this case?

    • Sudarshan,
      It used to be necessary, in the past, but now with Annexure C, it is not necessary. I just spoke to PSK Customer service, they mentioned rules changed. You can call them as well. I will capture this in an article for everyone’s benefit.

  14. Hello sir.
    I want to apply passport for my son.he is now 1 month.i live abroad so what should be done or what should i follow as procedure?

  15. Hi,

    I have my passport and want to apply the passport of my wife & my son.
    so, in case of my son(Minor) my passport will work or passport of both is required. I have applied the passport online for them and got the appoinment. Please let me know the document required. In case of minor. or I need the passport of my wife first and need to reply for my kid.

    Kindly suggest .

  16. Dear Sir

    We need passport for our kids. I have a passport and my spouse name endorsed into it.

    But the address is my “Rental” and now i have moved to my own residence. I have aadhar card with the updated address.

    what address proof should be given at the time of applying passport for my kids?

    Kindly Guide, Thanks for your inputs and this blog is really helpful

    • You should give your current address, where you live ( own residence) along with your kids. Your old address in passport does not matter.

  17. Hi Sir, I have to apply for minors passport but my wife has passport with before marriage name and birth certificate has her after marriage name, she is in India and I am in US,
    She does not have my name endorsed on passport as spouse but my passport has..
    Does she need to update her name on passport to make like birth certificate??

    • Well, if her name has changed after marriage, it should be updated in her passport as well. During that process, you can add your name to her passport. The reason is your birth certificate has her new name and that should be same across everything.

  18. Hi Kumar,

    I had applied for minor passport for my 3month baby .After the appointment I got email for police verification next day .
    I and my husband both have spouse name present in passport.But both of us have different address. My husband works in abroad so I provided my documents in passport Kendra for my kid.
    My kid has my home address but in birth certificate he has my husband address.
    I received baby passport but they have asked for post police verification .
    Will the address difference in birth certificate and passport cause problem?
    Currently me and my baby are staying in my passport address .


  19. Hi , we wan to apply for passport for our new Born baby , he is of 2 Month Now . we have all the required document , i just want to know is it compulsory to carry baby to PSK centre as we are residing in remote village and it was not convenient to carry baby to PSK centre .please advice

    • Hi, I need to apply passport for my two kids. But my husband is working abroad and will not be able to be present. What do we need to do? Also my husband’s and my present address in passport are different..will it be a problem? Since it’s urgent so we thought of applying tadkal. What are the procedures for minor passport tadkal?

  20. I have baby birth certificate, but no marriage certificate, and my spouse and I DONT have each other’s name on our passports? Will I still be able to get baby’s passport- without marriage certificate?

    • You will need to endorse spouse name on passport to get baby passport. For endorsement, you will need marriage certificate…so, you will need to avoid complications.

  21. Hi, I need to apply passport for my kids too. I have already applied for mine and I haven’t received it. My husband is also abroad and I only have the photocopy of his passport. What is my first step Do I have to wait till I get my passport?

  22. Hi sir
    Is it enough if only the mother has a valid passport to make the passport for our newborn baby.
    We have our marriage certificate also. Also the mother’s passport has spouse name endorsed in it.
    Both parents have aadhar card (but the addresses on aadhar cards are different for both parents)
    We live in mumbai

  23. Hi Sir ,

    I required to apply passport for my two daughters ( 5 years ) & ( 3 months ) . But the problem we do not have an Marriage certificate and in all the documents the address is different for myself and my spouse . So how can I proceed on Applying the passport , please let me know what needs to be done ???

    • You need marriage certificate to get spouse name endorsement, so first you need to get that to avoid complications. Besides that, above documents are pretty much same, you need all of them.

  24. Sir my daughter is 4 years old and I’m applying my daughter passport but my passport and my hubby passports is applying for a Visa then i have passport copies so passport copy chalengi na hum amravati Mai rehte hai or passport Bombay Mai hai Visa ke liye Gaya hai

    • Zameer,
      I could not understand much. You should apply for passport where you live and you will need to carry copies of passport of you and your spouse. Also, name of the spouse has to be endorsed. Read above article again, it has all process.

  25. I have a 8 month child . I have a valid Indian passport but my husband does not have a passport. I now want to apply for the passport for my child. Can I apply without having my husband passport.

  26. Hi….I husband working in dubai…I want to apply a passport for our little one ….she is now 7 month old…the prblm is…in my and my husband passport spouse name is not included…and also we have different address in passport and every original proof…what can I do now?…is the marriage certificate and birth certificate is enough to for that?

    • Yes, marriage certificate is good for adding spouse name. Birth certificate is also sufficient for passport. You need to use Annexure C, if you cannot get your spouse to send signed and stamped affidavit from Dubai Indian embassy/ high commission. Process is same as above.

  27. we are applying passport for our 7 months baby. Spouse name is mentioned in our passport. Do we (me & my husband) need to submit our original passport at the time of appointment or copies are enough. If yes, will they return our original passports immediately because my husband need his passport for applying visa.

  28. I am living in abroad (Saudi Arabia) and my wife in India.
    We need to apply new passport for newborn baby, what are all the required documents for it. Also addresses are different in our passports.
    Office address near by TAIF area to obtained affidavit.

    • It is same as above. Yes, getting affidavit from Indian high comission or embassy in Saudi Arabia will help. If not, she will need to fill in Annexure C.She may call customer service to validate the same.

  29. I am an Indian Passport Holder and my wife is a Sri lankan by birth. Our baby was born one month back in sri lanka and we would like to apply for a sri lankan passport. I would like to know where should i get the consent letter attested as i am in India right now.

  30. I stay in USA. Is it necessary tohave both parents back in India while applying passport? Is it necessary to get sworn affidavit from Consulate/ Embassy abroad?
    Below document does not mention these conditions. Can you please provide information on this?

    • It used to be necessary, but they have made some changes. Now, there is an alternative. If you cannot sign and send Annexure D, then your spouse can submit with Annexure C. Check Minor FAQs . They mention that, if spouse in ship or in other country, you need to get Annexure D signed by high commission, so it is kind of conflicting at times. If you cannot have access and cannot get it signed, your spouse can submit Annexure C.

      • In the above scenario, checking the below option in “Annexure C” is sufficient
        1) Option (a) The father/mother of the minor applicant is travelling abroad/is on sea/travelling in India and unable to file consent; or/and
        2) Also Is it necessary to get sworn affidavit from Consulate/ Embassy abroad?

        Any additional details to be aware of apart from listed above, please advice

        Thanks in advance.
        Your fast response is highly appreciated.

  31. I wanted to know if its mandatory for the Childs eyes are to be open in the photograph. My son is only 5 days old and I need his passport urgently as I am traveling and won’t be available for 3 months.
    Since my son is so small, eyes are not open that frequently so a normal photo without open eyes would work?

    • Varun,
      It needs to be in white background and very likely with Eyes open. I am not sure, if they would accept anything with eyes closed. You may check with Passport office customer service.

  32. Need to apply new passport for my 1 yr old baby. Birth certificate has first name and family name but we want to apply the passport with first name and father name. Will this create any issue in getting passport ? Also will this create an issue if to get USA H4 visa for the baby?

  33. I am trying to get passport for my 5 month old baby , but for filling online application form I am unable to cross first stage, since it’s asking for Aadhar number.

    • It is not mandatory for kids, check with customer service maybe it is an issue or you can try upload the offline PDF form and see, if that works.

  34. Hi Kumar,

    My baby was born in bangalore. The passport for myself and my spouse has Tamilnadu(native) address in it. However we are currently in Pune and going to apply passport for the new born in Pune. So will it cause any issue. Please guide us.

    • No, it will not cause any issues. You need address proof of your current location. Other requirements are all as listed in article above.

  35. Hi … I need to apply passport for my 2 month old. The address in the passport of both mine and my wife’s are not current. What could be the address proof for me ? Can i use a utility bill/rent agreement as proof of address (again this is not permanent address)? Would police verification required? My passport is endorsed w my Wife’s name.

    Can you please comment. Thanks in advance.

  36. Dear Sir, We have 3kids, first 2kids having valid passport and our both name was on their passport indication as parents, now we need to apply passport for our 3rd kid, but my husband working in abroad and no indian embassy was there to take affidavit form signed by your husband stamped at Indian Embassy, please advice us easy way to apply my 3rd kid passport.

    • Well, he needs to find the nearest Indian embassy/ high commission in the country, if not in his city…where is working and get the affidavit.

    • Yes, you can do that. You need to submit Annexure C, along with birth certificate, if you are not getting consent. But, if you are divorced, then you can submit divorce papers from court, ruling that says you have the custody of the baby and then submit Annexure D.

  37. We need to apply for passport for our infant but the address in our passports is the not the current one. We recently shifted to the new house few months back. Could this create any issue ? We are Airtel landline bill n lease agreement for the current address.

  38. Hellooo Sir, I want to take passport for my 3 year old child but we don’t have marriage certificate, his father working in abroad, is it marriage certificate is mandatory for taking child’s passport

    • Marriage certificate is required to endorse spouse name on passport. As you need to have spouse name endorsed for applying for baby passport, you need that.

  39. I need to apply for my baby (10 month old) fort passport . I have birth certificate for him. But my passport address and my wife’s passport address is different. My wife applied for passport before marriage so she have passport office address of her parents.
    Although my wife name is mentioned in my passport because i applied for passport after marriage .

    Please suggest me what are the documents shall require for my baby passport application.

    • different addresses on your passport and your wife’s passport does not really matter. As you already have your spouse name endorsed, all you need to do is carry birth certificate, your current address proof and then submit the application. You will need to carry a passport photo as well. Also, the need to sign required annexures as described in above article.

  40. My husband is working in Germany. I have copies of his passport and visa issued by that country. I also have rent agreement (residential proof in Germany). I am possessing valid passport. I was living with my husband in Germany and became pregnant. I came to India for delivery. I am blessed with a female baby on 7.8.2018. Can I approach Passport office for passport of my baby without my husband? Kindly advise me.

    • Yes, you can. But, you will need to get an affidavit form signed by your husband stamped at Indian Embassy in Germany. Ask him to check with local Indian embassy in Germany to get more details.

  41. IS appointment required for applying passport for minors less then 2 years at PSK Sai arcade, outer ring road Bangalore – Karanataka. Please also provide the contact numbers of this PSK.

  42. Hi, my husband and i have passports of different address in different states and are currently not living in India. What are things i need to carry for applying a passport for my 3months old baby?

    • Address on the passports does not matter. They need your current address proof in India, where you can be reached for police verification, if needed and baby birth certificate.

  43. My baby born in bangalore and birth certificate is isuued with bangalore address. We have recently moved to hyderabad as it is our native. Can we apply passport for my baby in hyderabad or we have to apply in bangalore only?

    • Your wife can apply, you would need to send an affidavit signed from embassy and birth certificate, address proof. Also, if spouse name not endorsed, then she needs to endorse it by showing marriage certificate.

    • You take the appointment for the same day. When you take appointment, you can take it for the same day, system will allow you to do it, you may not get same time exact time slot, but 1 hr difference is fine as long as they go together.

  44. We want to apply Passport for my 7 month Old Son. Do we (Me & Wife), need to update passport for Spouse name, as our passport were issued before marriage.

  45. Address in my passport and wife’s passport is different!
    Will there be any issues while applying passport for my 1 year kid?


Leave a Comment