Home » General Guides » Indian Passport » Guide to Apply Newborn baby passport in India ? Documents Checklist

Guide to Apply Newborn baby passport in India ? Documents Checklist

The process to apply for Indian Passport for a new born baby is easier than you think. It is pretty much similar to the Indian passport renewal/ re-issue in India. The process is straightforward and there is NO need to pay to an agent or anyone for this. I did everything on my own, without seeking anyone’s help. I received my baby’s passport in about a little over a week via registered post. I applied it as normal processing mode ( NOT Tatkaal). Let’s look at the details. At the end there are users experiences and many new updates in comments, do check them out.

Minor Passport Spouse Name Endorsement Requirement

If either of the parents or both of them have passport, there is a requirement to have spouse name endorsed on the passport. Without having this, you will not be able to apply for passport. Endorsement means, on the pages with address and other info, you will see your spouse name as well, see below screenshot.

Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport India
Spouse Name Endorsement Baby Passport

The general process is to apply for Spouse Name Endorsement first and then apply for baby passport. But, there is a work around for this. You can apply for both Passport of the Baby and also Spouse name endorsement on the same day. Read How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Now that you know the basic requirements, let’s look at the details step by step.

Step 1: Apply for Birth Certificate

Our baby was born in a little town in India and the first and foremost thing that I did was apply for a birth certificate at the municipality office. Depending on where your baby was born you would have to go the respective government body like Municipal office and apply for birth certificate.  Also, the hospital your baby was born in will ask you to fill out a form and you would need to mention all the details clearly on that, as that form will be sent to the municipal office or govt body.

It takes about two weeks to a month to get that. Nowadays everything is electronic. Depending on the state, you would have the state body give you a digitally signed birth certificate with an application number. I could check the details in the Govt website using the application number. You can submit your Passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy or Aadhar copy for spelling and proof.  Make sure your name, your spouse name and baby name are printed correctly, if not you will have issues. I had to re-apply for my birth certificate requesting corrections for the name as the address was wrong and they messed up the surname of my baby.  Eventually, I got the birth certificate of my baby in about 1.5 months.  This is the most important or the only document required I would say.

Step 2 : Register Account in Passport Seva Website, Complete Application

First thing you need to do is register and create an account at Passport Seva Website.  When you are registering a new account, you may not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) center in the drop down as it may not be the major one and just a collection or appointment  center. In that case, you select the head of the state. For instance, you may not see Tirupati in the list of  Passport Office, when you register, you will have to Select Hyderabad.  It can be very misleading, but trust me, I did exactly the same thing by selecting the head office.  

The process is pretty standard and ensure that all the spellings are correct. Make sure you give a valid email ID, as the link to activate your account and other status emails will be sent to the email address. Once you register you will get an email to activate your account, then you are set with registration.  You can check the guide to Applying Indian Passport Online, the basic steps on the website are same irrespective of the kind of passport.

You need to complete the application online, it is very much straight forward, you can download the PDF form and save and submit it or fill it online. Just make sure you complete the application online.

Step 3 : Walk-in with Application Receipt Printed (Check with PSK)

Some PSKs allow direct Walk-in appointments for some categories like Senior Citizens and Minors without prior appointment.  This always depends on the PSK and you will need to check with the PSK for this by calling them. In case, they allow direct walk-in appointment, you will need to take a print out of the Application Receipt (ARN) and carry that with you.

 You can pay the fee online and take the appointment as well.  As you are applying for minor, you may do a walk-in as well and pay it there.  In my case, I paid the fee online and took appointment as written in the below step 4 as I did not know that I can walk-in.  One of our readers Raju (Thanks to Raju ) shared his experience that you can do walk-in. But, we have been reported by other readers like Suresh in Delhi that you cannot do walk-in directly and need to take appointment.  In any case, to avoid issues, I highly recommend getting an appointment, if you have time to avoid any confusions at PSK. 

 Step 4  : Pay and Book Appointment on Passport Seva Kendra Website

After you register, activate and login to your account and complete the application, you will be have options to book an appointment. Look at the left side navigation, you will have service section saying “View my saved/submitted applications”. Click on that and then you will get options to “pay and schedule appointment”.  You will need to do payment before you can book an appointment.

You can pay using challan or visa/master card. Only certain banks are listed like State Bank of India, if you want to use specific bank card. I recommend using any Visa or Mastercard of any bank and get through the payment, as it saves a lot of hassle. I used a visa card of some different bank and had no problems. You can just pay first and do NOT book, if you are not sure of the schedule. I first paid the fees and completed the payment process. I was waiting for the right dates to open for booking slot.  

Usually dates would be available at about 4 to 5 days before the actual date of appointment. So, it is pretty clear, wait for the slots to open and book the date.  Also, there is no hassle in process, where you need wait at a certain time of the day for the slots to open and there is so many people booking at same time. With the payment process in place, it is very clear and there is no artificial demand created, so just book it at your convenient time, no need to pay some for getting slot.  Once your slot if booked using the system, take a print out the appointment receipt as you will need it for the entry at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK).  Read all the instructions clearly on the appointment letter as it has all the information you need.

Documents Checklist for Newborn Baby Passport in India

Assuming your situation is straightforward, with both parents alive and both are legally together, below are the Required documents List :

  1. Birth Certificate issued from the Govt Authority like Municipal office.Carry a copy of this.
  2. Proof of present address – usually parent’s passport with address is sufficient. If not, any utility bill, Aadhar Card, Gas connection, Election Voter ID, etc. with the address. We took copies of our passports ( mine and my wife’s) as it served as the address proof documents and other identification proof. Carry a copy of the address proof.
  3. Parents need to print and sign Annexure D from the passport Seva Kendra website
  4. One Passport Photo of the Baby with White Background.
  5. Printed copy of the PSK appointment receipt.

Optional documents:

My wife’s name was endorsed on my passport, so it was very straightforward. If not, it does not hurt to carry the Marriage certificate to avoid issues.

Common FAQs

I do not have spouse name endorsed on parents passport, can I apply for baby passport ?

You need spouse name to be endorsed on passport of at least one of the parents, if not, you cannot apply. But, you can do the spouse name endorsement and applying for baby passport on same day. Check How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Do I need to take Baby to Passport Office ?

Yes, you need to take Baby to the passport office. They take fingerprints of the baby at the passport office.

My Spouse is abroad, cannot come to Passport Office. Can I apply on my own ?

In the past, as per passport application guidelines, they required either both parents to be present or get the Annexure D as sworn affidavit signed by Indian High commission abroad to apply for passport in India for baby. But, this has changed in recent years and there is NO need to have both the parents. If one parent is traveling or abroad, they can submit Annexure C and indicate the reason as traveling or abroad and get passport of the new born baby.

Why Spouse Name endorsement for getting Baby passport ?

This is to get passport for the baby without police verification.

How long does it take to get Baby Indian passport ?

This totally depends on the PSK and hard to say. But, if everything is right and no complications, you should get passport in about 10 to 15 days under normal processing.

It is always recommend you all to check the passport office website to verify, if any changes to the process or required documents.

Check out the next step on Process at the Passport Seva Kendra for New Born Passport Application 

Baby Passport Applying User Experience at  PSK Ghaziabad

Hello All,  I went to PSK Ghaziabad today for the passport of my 7 month old baby and would like to share the entire story :

Documents Required :
1) Self Attested Copies of Father+Mother Passport ( With Originals )
2) Self Attested Birth Certificate of Minor
3) Passport size photograph
4) Passport Receipt Form
5) Annexure D

First of all, there is no direct walkin service at PSK, Ghaziabad for Minors, so we had to book the appointment and went on time. We entered and on the very first counter, he checked our initial documents, placed them in the file and asked us to go inside. We went inside and waited for about 15 mins max and our name was announced. For Minors, PSK give a token number starting from “S” which is a special case, so everywhere your token number will be treated on priority. And thats what happened, just when we were finished from Counter A ( max 10 mins ), our token number blinked for Counter B and then in next 2 mins, for Counter C. We were out in max 30 minutes.
It was such a great service there and we were highly delighted. Thanks PSK and Thanks TCS for such a great process.

Did I miss anything? Any other thoughts to add?


Other Articles


  1. Hi Kumar,
    I want to apply for my baby’s passport but the permanent address in her birth certificate is wrong, would that be an issue?
    I have applied for my passport, can I apply for her passport along with mine?
    In her father’s passport spouse name is not added yet, can we attach a copy of it or do we need to update it first?

    • Thanks Kumar for explaining the process in such a simple and detailed manner.

      I’ve a few doubts,could you please clarify them?

      I’m currently in USA and my wife is in India. I’m expected to go 2 months after the birth of my newborn and I want to get my H1B stamped and also get the H4 done for my wife and kid.

      – What is average time to get my tatkal passport after applying?
      – Can a third person go to passport center and apply or should it be one of the parents of the kid?
      – I got my passport renewed in USA and it has my USA address and my wife’s passport has her old address which she’s no longer living. So what proof should we have the new address we are going to give?
      – Should the notarized affidavit be sent via postal mail to india or will a scanned copy be enough?
      – Should the birth certificate be from the hospital or from the B.D.O Office when I show the proof to get my notarized affidavit?

      Thanks in advance

      • Hari,
        – Tatkaal should be in a week. In fact, the normal passport process also is taking about 10 days, should be fine.
        – Unless, there is a strong reason and proof, parents should go to passport office and apply.
        – The address on passport does not matter. You should send the address proof of where the kid would live or currently living.
        – You need to go to nearest Indian High Comission and get sworn affidavit from them and send the physical copy along with the Annexure H signed by you. No scan copies will be accepted.
        – It should be from Municipality office or Corporation or Panchayat office. It is all electronic these days.

  2. Hi Kumar,
    I am applying for the passport of my 11 month old son. Both me and my husband have valid passports.
    My passport has my maiden name with husbands name endorsed on it. My son’s birth certificate has my name after marriage.
    Which of my name should I put on my son’s application?

    • Megha, You should put the name that you will use primarily going forward. If the name on birth certificate is different from the one in passport. You should get it corrected so that the new name after marriage is reflected. If you have gone through proper name change process, carry respective documentation to avoid any issues.

      • Thanks Uday. I would be using my after marriage name moving forward. And at the moment haven’t requested for the change in my passport.
        But for now, to apply for my son’s passport, can I put my after marriage name on his application and carry my maiden name passport for documentation purposes. Would that pose any challenge? I could carry the marriage certificate too.

  3. Hi

    While filling the form for minor applicant(2 months old), There are couple of fields which are mandatory fields(Employment Type and Education)

    What i have to give.

    Can i choose Employment Type as ‘Not Employed’ and Education as ‘5th pass or less’.

    I don’t see any other suitable options.

    Please help me here.

  4. Hi,

    My Family is in india and i need to apply passport for my son who is 2 year old. Passport officer asked a Non-Objection letter letter from Indian embassy in USA. Can any one help me with this process how to get this letter in USA?

  5. In my cesh i have passport and my wife have votar id . Can i applay for my 11 month old baby s passport with my passport copy and my wife s votar id s copy

    • Uday, Yes, you need to. I took our baby when she was about 3 months old as they take the finger print and they will verify the photo.

  6. Hi All,

    I am going to apply passport for my new born baby boy in couple of weeks from now. Can you please clarify on below two queries.

    1) while creating online account with passport portal for applying the passport, is it necessary to create user account with kid (application) details ? or is it ok to create with parent details ?

    2) while I have downloaded the new passport e-form, It is just 2 pages (editable pdf). I am wondering, is it just 2 pages or i am referring wrong one.

    3) How this PDF file can be converted to XML.

  7. Yesterday I got my baby’s passport but when I saw his passport I realized one mistake and that was my baby’s name is printed also on the place of father’s name..so what should I do now?

    • Komal, You should get it corrected soon. Check the application form that you carried, does it say the same or is it different. If your application form that you used for appointment has correct details, it should be quite straightforward, check the passport website.

  8. Thanks for this blog. After I referred this article, I came to know about the direct walk-in for applying passport for kids. Upon cross checking with passport website on direct walk-in (allowed between 9AM-10:30AM), I filled the online application and did a direct walk-in to Begumpet PSK, HYD. I didn’t paid the amount online and paid at the passport office during the submission process. As both my wife and I have valid passports, and my wife’s passport has my name, they asked me for the kid’s birth certificate, 1 passport size photo (for scanning) and photocopy of our passports. All the process was so smooth and it got completed in 25 mins. I guess, kids less than 3 years and senior citizens have special and faster processing. To my surprise, I received the passport on 3rd day afternoon :). Wow!!! what a relief!!!

  9. Hi,
    I have to apply passport for my Wife & 2 kids.
    1. Can I use same login account for all 3 passport applications?
    2. Can I take all three appointments together?

    Appreciate some help..

  10. Hi,
    Can i get both my wife’s and my kids passport done together?My wife doesn’t have passport.
    Also my wife’s name is endorsed in my passport.


  11. Hi Kumar,
    Do we need to paste the photo in the ARN? or just carry the photo with us and hand over to them. Also, i filled the application online instead of downloading e-form , filling it and uploading again. Is that ok?

  12. hi nice information plz tell me I want to apply for my baby whose email address we have to put? Both parents have to present their in passport office plz reply soon. Thanks

    • Hi ,
      I just applied for my baby’s passport.
      Fill in all the information of the baby along with either one of your details online. When you go to PP office baby should be present with the person whose information was provided. Important doc for baby is Birth Certificate. From which ever place you are applying you need to provide the address proof.
      Then you need to carry your PP and spouse PP. If your name is not included in your spouse passport or viceversa(this will lead to police verification) then u need to produce the marriage certificate.

  13. Hi,
    I need to apply for my son’d passport who is 4 months old.the address on my passport and my wife’s passport are different.will that be a problem.i have obtained an affidavit from Consulate General Office in Dubai and sent to india along with my passport copy.We both have endorsed our names in each others passport.kindky give your feedback.

  14. hi kumar my wife she is from nepal . she have nepali passport .i am from india i have indian passport . we have marriage certificate . from indian gov . we have littale baby of 10 month can i apply of passport of my baby . i gived doccyument for my wife elecation card but she will get elecatin card after few month

    • Jitesh, You should be able to do it. Check specific requirements on the passport office page, I do not have any experience on this to advice.

  15. Hi Kumar,
    I didn’t find the answer above hence writing.
    My Wife’s passport has her name (Before marriage). So whiling the Application form, which name we need insert? Her current name or name as per passport?

    Please reply ASAP.


    • Amit, Do you have any official documents indicating the current name change ? If so, you should use the new name and submit that proof of the same. They will ask for some proof, if any change in name. In our case, we did not choose to change my wife’s last name after wedding and just sticked to her old name in her passport.

  16. Hi .I want to apply pp for my daughter.My husband added my name in the passport and the address in his passport shows USA address bcos he renewed there.I am having a passport without his name with Chennai address.can we apply for pp with my Chennai address?

  17. hi, me and my wife having a passport, but spouse name is not entered in both passports. can we apply for our baby passport who is just 4 months old

  18. Hi,
    My husband is in uk, I need passport for my new born babies.
    My doubts are

    1) I have passport endorsed with my husband’s name but not in case of my husband’s passport. Is that okay? In this case marriage certificate is needed?

    2) the address in my husband’s passport and my passport are different, is it okay? Also have same address in voters id.

    3) within how many days passport will be issued if applied in tatkal?


  19. Hi Kumar
    Thanks for sharing ur experience. My husband resides abroad and I wanted to know if both the parents need to be there with the original docs.

    • Ideally yes, if both are present it is much easier. If not, your husband may have to go to local Indian embassy in the country he resides and send affidavit signed in front of the officer there and submit the same original in India.

  20. Hi sir my passport on our old home address but we are shifted new address so tell me how can apply my new born baby passport with new address and which document we needs

    • Hi kumar I went today passport office but there is some problem in birth certificate b. Coz I forget to add surname so my filles its on hold so tomorrow if I get birth certificate correction by tomorrow so I need again appointment or I will go direct and my files with psk office

      • They would have suggested you whether to make new appointment or just with new token. I guess the files we not supposed to bring out of PSK, just handover in exit counter, they will provide a printout stamped like “Mon to Fri 9am to 12pm”. On next visit you can collect ur files from the first counter at entrance, no need to wait in the Q

  21. As per Passport FAQ, Q17 says that Spouse name endorsement is mandatory to get baby’s passport. Is that true. Any experience where parent has been able to procure baby’s passport just with marraige certificate and birth cert. ?

  22. My wife’s passport has different address as of mine. Her passport was issued before our marriage.
    Will it create any problem if I apply passport for newly born baby.


  23. hello kumar,
    Me and my wife is staying abroad,my wife has her delivery in India. My baby was born in another state and we both had our address proofs in different state ( passport,Adhara card..).my doubt is now where should i apply my babies passport( my state (or) my babies birth state)?Which address must be mentioned in passport?

    • The baby birth place is not relevant for the address. It is the your address and the baby address where the baby would reside, which is your address that is important. So, you should apply passport with address that belongs to you and your family. There will be a section where you indicate the birth place of baby, where you mention the actual place where the baby was born as per birth certificate.

  24. Hi,

    I’m abroad currently, Is it possible that only my wife travels to the PSK with the baby? Or is it mandatory for both the parents to be present at the PSK along with the baby ?


  25. Hi, need to understand one thing.

    Me and my wife have same passport address but not issued in Maharashtra (while we currently stay in Mumbai on rent). I want to get pasport issued for my new borns (twins 1 year old). Is my rent agreement sufficient for an address proof or will I need something else? – the electricity bill too is in the name of landlord.


    • Prince, if you check the document proof list, rental agreement is sufficient, thats what it says. You can call the customer service to confirm.

  26. Hi Kumar

    Please clarify my below doubts:-

    1.My Passport and wife passport has different address and issued from different Passport Office, from which passport office my wife should apply new born baby passport as i am not in India at present.

    2.What will be Postal address on form if allowed to apply from my wife house nearest passport seva kendra.

    3.If my wife will apply for new born baby passport her passport need to endorsed my name or marriage certificate will be enough.

    Thank you

    • Asfar,
      1. You should apply from that passport office, where the baby would reside or belong to. The current address of your wife or you does not matter.
      2. Again, choose the passport seva kendra based on where you intend to give the address for your kid.
      3. Having it endorsed will help a lot to avoid the police verification. If nothing is endorsed, you can apply with the marriage certificate. Also, one key thing is that you will need to go to the embassy aborad and sign there and send that same to the India office. Check Q 13 : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/faqServicesAvailable

  27. Hi Kumar,
    Many thanks for posting such a good information.. well i have few questions..
    My baby born in Ahmedabad (Gujrat) so the birth certificate from AHmedabad & our (me & wife) passports have address of town nagpur ( maharastra). so we need to visit which PSK ?? Ahmedabad or Nagpur ? to get the baby passport.

    • Sandeep, You should go to Nagpur, where you belong. The birth place of the baby does not matter. Our baby was born in different city. The PSK you chose has to be the one where you and your kid’s address will be.

  28. Hi kumar,
    My husband is in USA on F1 visa ,i have H1b visa interview soon. In the DS160 form i have filled that i have no relatives in USA will it cause any problem? will they know that y husband is in USA? And my husbands date of birth of birth i have accidentally entered wrong will that also create any problem?

    • Ankita, You should not present wrong information on DS-160. If you know, you made a mistake, you can always create a new DS-160 and carry that indicating the same, nothing to worry. You can speak to the customer service http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-main-contactus.asp#hours and get it clarified.

  29. Hi Kumar,

    I have a quick question,
    My hubby’s name was endorsed on my passport, and NOT Vice-versa. Do I need to submit other than the following docs,
    1) Annexure H signed by both
    2) Kid’s birth certificate
    3) Attested photocopies of hubby’s passport and my passport.

    • Nancy, That’s all you need and in fact, that’s all they asked me. If you are changing address that will be different than in passport, it is better to carry some form of current address proof. As a backup, I suggest you carry address proof either case.

  30. Dear Kumar

    It is necessary to have spouse name endorsed in both (Father & Mother) passport, in my passport spouse name is endorsed is this sufficient to apply a new born baby passport.
    And one more thing that my address and wife address is different in passport, it will create any problem.

    • Asfar, No need for both the passports to be endorsed. In my case, only my passport had my wife’s name endorsed. No, it will not create issues. In my case too, my wife’s passport address was very different from my passport address, it should not create any issues

  31. Hi Kishore…..

    My son is 3 months old. We want to apply for his passport.
    My son is born in mumbai as we are residing here from past 2 years. His birth certificate is issued by mumbai municipal corporation.
    But both me and my husband have passport with our home town address. I changed all my documents with the new surname such as pan card, aadhar card and bank account but passport still bears my maiden name and father’s address.
    My husband have passport with his hostel address and all other documents with his father’s address.
    What should i do?
    1. Is it possible that i apply my son’s passport with my aadhar card and bank account statement?
    2. all my n my husband’s documents bears our home town
    Will this create a problem as we are going to apply from mumbai passport office?

    • Ankita,
      It will not create any problem. You can give your current address that you plan to have for your kid. Also, if your passport is not endorsed with your husband name, they will do regular police verification. There is nothing to worry. One of my friends recently did this and they ended up doing police verification for the address to ensure you and the kid lives there.

      • Thanks Kumar……
        Again few more questions….
        1. Should i have to take an appointment or not as one person in a post said that there is no need to take any appointment for the kids.

        2. And what about photograph?
        They will click photo by themselves or i have to take photo of my child?

        Next week i am going to passport office with these documents:

        1. My registered rent agreement for proof of address
        2. My child’s birth certificate
        3. self attested annexure “H”

        • 1. Not necessarily, I have just check PSK website section called walkin applicants at http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/welComeMessage , it says not required for minors.
          2. You need to carry a photograph.

          That should do I guess. Make sure your registered rental agreement for is more than a year.

  32. Hi Kumar,
    Really a good compilation. Is there any need to register an account in my child’s name for applying passport or it can be applied under my account or spouse account?

    • Actually, it should NOT matter. You can use your spouse’s or yours. In my case, I created one, just for future use and clarity sake for my child, but does NOT need to have this.

  33. Hi, my name is not present in spouse’s passport and same with mine.
    To go to passport office and apply for our baby’s passport, is it mandatory to have the names already in the passport?
    if we both go to passport office along with marriage certificate, will it work?

  34. Am filling up the application now and on the first page where after filling up the DOB – it still has ques on occupation/ educational quals etc.. and these r mandatory fields.. what do i do there…

    my baby is a year old – why am i not getting option for minor application

  35. Nice information Kumar

    I have one question

    Currently I am working in Taiwan. Mom and 3 months boy baby are in Banglore.

    My permanent address is a village in Chittoor district, AP. My wife’s passport contain my name, address of my village. Now generally we should go Tirupathy for getting passport for my son. As my son is 3 months old, not easy to go from Banglore to Tiruparhy.

    Would it be possible to apply and get passport for my son from Banglore passport office? If my gets a current address proof as Banglore ? If yes what kind of document(s) suffice ?



    • Eswar,
      Well, I am not sure if you can apply from Bangalore office. If you go to the PSK finder and enter your primary center or pincode, it will suggest the PSKs. For your case, I believe, it is not possible as per the system inputs at : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/locatePSK/locatePFCInp . Please check with the Passport Seva Kendra National Helpline ( on psk website), they may clarify you. Also, do share with us, what you find out.

      • Hi Kumar, Thanks for your reply. Yes according to my native/permanent address, “http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/locatePSK/locatePFCInp” suggests we should try applying from Tirupathy.

        However, I will try contacting PSK national help line and check whether its possible applying from Banglore. Thanks. Eswar

        • Hi Eswar,

          Can you please share me the reply you received.

          My case is also the same, Me and my husband’s passport does not have spouse name endorsed, and currently we are residing in bangalore where as both our passports are issued from trivandrum, Kerala. I dont have any address proof for the current bangalore address. How can I proceed further in this case, please let me know

  36. Hi Kumar, Thanks for info.

    My doubts :-

    1) My passport with my surname and my wife passport with her surname. So if i want to apply new Minor’s passport. I need to add my name in my wife’s passport or not required ???
    2) I am staying in Singapore and My wife in her mother home town. Which address proof i need to carry the Passport office.
    3) If new minor passport required to add my name in my wife passport. Should be physically my wife to go and submit in Passport office or via post also ok ?

  37. Hi,
    I want to renew my passport with new address using ration card as address proof . at the same time want to apply passport for my new born baby . my husband’s address in his passport is different . can I use ration card as address proof for the baby . is it possible to apply for both of us at same time .


    • To my knowledge for renewal with same address, it is quick process u ll get PP in few days. But if address is different, it may include police verification and take 3 – 4 weeks. Ration card will be accepted, but better to have additional proof on same address. Generally for kids, parents PP address will be considered as proof. Hope kid’s name added in ration card.
      fyi nowdays PSK accepts ICICI latest 3 mon attested stmt. In addition to that ICICI will provide the bonafide cert upon request, that can be considered as both Photo & Address proof.

      Yes can make an appointment on same day for both of you.

      • Yes, with same address there is no police verification and it gets processed directly within a week. With different address it goes for police verification and time frame of 2 to 3 week or so.

  38. Hi
    We have six months old daughter, I need to apply for her passport.
    Me and my husband have different location addresses on our passports.

    What would be the right way to apply for her passport

    • Deepti,
      It should NOT matter. My wife’s address is totally different from mine. When we applied for our daughter’s passport, I have used my address and it worked fine.

    • For kids the PP validity for 5yrs, the PP will be used in many cases in future like ID Proof, Address Proof, Photo proof etc…so plan accordingly.

  39. Hi Thanks for Info. I am abroad and my wife will be applying for my new born daughter passport. I sent sworn affidavit from Indian consulate in USA.
    I want them to ravel soon and want to apply in Tatkal. Question is do we need Annexure F in this case.

  40. Hi Kumar,

    Thanks a lot for the information. This really helps.

    I have a query. Is it necessary to take the 2 weeks old kid to the passport office? Can we just take the photographs and other required documents and apply for passport?
    I am not sure how much time we need to spend in the passport office and just want to ensure that the little kid gets proper rest 🙂
    Thanks again and keep up the good work.

    • Sure. Yes, it is mandatory to take the baby to the passport office. They will take the fingerprints of the baby at the passport office. If you go with a baby, you will have special privileges like not be in line, waiting is limited as there will be a counter for such needs. It should not be that bad.

        • Well, they will require baby’s name in it. Initially, I got my baby’s birth certificate without name, then I submitted a request to change the name from municipal office. Finally went to passport office with the birth certificate having the actual name.

  41. Thanks to all for information..
    I have one small query.. is it compulsory to endorsed both spouse name in passport(Father & Mother), if not than what other document is sufficient.
    and PCC is required.

  42. Hi, Can you please confirm if there are any restriction on the baby’s photo for passport? Should this be only face or the full picture of baby in passport size?

    • Kumar, It is just like any other passport photo of an adult. They want the baby face fully visible in the photo with white background.

  43. Hi,
    Can you please suggest regarding the passport photocopies.
    As there are 4 pages in passport
    A) Front inside cover with stamp and page 1
    B) Page 2 (with photo & info) and blank page 3
    C) Page 35 ( with address and spouse name) and blank page 34
    D) Page 36 (blank) and back inside cover

    So, (i) should i take page A & B on on sheet and Page C & D on another
    (ii) or should A & D on one sheet and Page B & C on another
    (iii) or all on separate sheets.

    Please suggest.

    • @Atul:
      Anything would do good. Don’t worry abt hw to take the photocopy. u can take them in series. A & B and C & D

  44. Hello Kumar,
    Thanks for sharing the information. Here is my short story. I am in US and we had a daughter in India recently. Both mom and kid are in India. I am getting to ready to bring her and filling up the application form.
    1) It is asking for aadhar number – is that mandatory?
    2) Also, my name is endorsed in my wife’s passport. We moved to a
    new home a year back and hence both of our passports have old address (We both have same address). Is it mandatory to update addresses in our passport first? or just need to take some address proof. If it is address proof, by whose name it should be? (I have electricity bill on my name in the new address).
    3) I will be sending sworn affidavit from Indian consulate, USA. Do I and my wife still need to fill up “Annexure H” or just my sworn affidavit and my wife’s “Annexure H” is enough?
    4) Baby has her birth certificate.
    Please help me.

    • Hope u shld av done by this time.
      But if this would help.
      1) Birth Certificate
      2) Address Proof of ur’s (electricity Bill)
      3) ur passport duely signed by u.
      4) ur wife’s passport duely signed by her.
      5) just ur sworn affidavit and ur wife’s “Annexure H”
      6) Additional to that ur wife’s address proof (May be a bank statement an year’s/voter’s id/Aadhar #)

      B/w aadhar card is not mandatory.

  45. Just wanted to check if both the parent needs to be present there or either will be fine?
    and we just need to sign on Annexure H right? Do they check passport of both?
    great info, thanks for sharing

  46. Hello kumar
    Can you please tell me alternative of birth certificate in case of adult passport… can passport be issued with aadhar card, rashan card, dl, 10, 10+2 markshit bank passbook…

    • Nitesh,
      For adults, your 10th class mark sheet should be sufficient. Also, Aadhar card should help as well. If you have 10+2 Mark sheet, carry that as well.

  47. Hi Kumar,

    Just to shorten:
    List of documents required for a new born or minor passport:

    1. Birth Certificate
    2. Father (Wife name should be embosed in it) or Mother passport (Husband Name should be embosed in it)
    3. Photo graph as per the specs
    4. You can pay cash

    Not need to book a slot or take appointment, Just walk-in directly with the above documents with a set of photocopies

    • Hi Raju, Good info. I did not know that 🙂 Thanks ! Updated the article as well. But, I guess you still need to fill the online application and take the Application Reference Number (ARN) print out for sure.


Leave a Comment