New Baby Passport Application Documents India

How to Apply for new born baby passport in India ? Documents required ?

In Indian Passport by KumarUpdated : 747 Comments

I applied for my Indian passport renewal/ re-issue in India recently that describes how easy it was to get that. I was looking all around for guidance on how to apply for the passport for a new born baby in India as we had to apply for our babY, but no luck…I realised, it is better to capture my thoughts and share my experience with you all so that some of you can benefit.

Firstly, there is NO need to pay to an agent or anyone for this process, it is very clear and simple. I did everything on my own, without seeking anyone’s help. I received my baby’s passport in about a little over a week via registered post. I applied it as normal processing mode ( NOT Tatkaal).

Step 1: Apply for Birth Certificate
Our baby was born in a little town in India and the first and foremost thing that I did was apply for a birth certificate at the municipality office. Depending on where your baby was born you would have to go the respective government body like Municipal office and apply for birth certificate.  Also, the hospital your baby was born in will ask you to fill out a form and you would need to mention all the details clearly on that, as that form will be sent to the municipal office or govt body. It takes about two weeks to a month to get that. Nowadays everything is electronic. Depending on the state, you would have the state body give you a digitally signed birth certificate with an application number. I could check the details in the Govt website using the application number. You can submit your Passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy or Aadhar copy for spelling and proof.  Make sure your name, your spouse name and baby name are printed correctly, if not you will have issues. I had to re-apply for my birth certificate requesting corrections for the name as the address was wrong and they messed up the surname of my baby.  Eventually, I got the birth certificate of my baby in about 1.5 months.  This is the most important or the only document required I would say.

Step 2 : Register Account in Passport Seva Website
First thing you need to do is register and create an account at Passport Seva Website.  When you are registering a new account, you may not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) center in the drop down as it may not be the major one and just a collection or appointment  center. In that case, you select the head of the state. For instance, you will NOT see Tirupati in the list of  Passport Office, when you register, you will have to Select Hyderabad.  It can be very misleading, but trust me, I did exactly the same thing by selecting the head office.  The process is pretty standard and ensure that all the spellings are correct. Make sure you give a valid email ID, as the link to activate your account and other status emails will be sent to the email address. Once you register you will get an email to activate your account, then you are set with registration.  You can check the guide to Applying Indian Passport Online, the basic steps on the website are same irrespective of the kind of passport.

Step 3 : Walk-in Directly with Application Receipt Printed  – Check with PSK 
Some PSKs allow direct Walk-in appointments for some categories like Senior Citizens and Minors without prior appointment.  This always depends on the PSK and you will need to check with the PSK for this by calling them. In case, they allow direct walk-in appointment, you will need to take a print out of the Application Receipt (ARN) and carry that with you.  You can pay the fee online and take the appointment as well.  As you are applying for minor, you may do a walk-in as well and pay it there.  In my case, I paid the fee online and took appointment as written in the below step 4 as I did not know that I can walk-in.  One of our readers Raju (Thanks to Raju ) shared his experience that you can do walk-in. But, we have been reported by other readers like Suresh in Delhi that you cannot do walk-in directly and need to take appointment.  In any case, to avoid issues, I highly recommend getting an appointment, if you have time to avoid any confusions at PSK. 

 Step 4  : Pay and Book Appointment on Passport Seva Kendra Website :
After you register, activate and login to your account, you will be have options to book an appointment. Look at the left side navigation, you will have service section saying “View my saved/submitted applications”. Click on that and then you will get options to “pay and schedule appointment”.  You will need to do payment before you can book an appointment. You can pay using challan or visa/master card. Only certain banks are listed like State Bank of India, if you want to use specific bank card. I recommend using any Visa or Mastercard of any bank and get through the payment, as it saves a lot of hassle. I used a visa card of some different bank and had no problems. You can just pay first and do NOT book, if you are not sure of the schedule. I first paid the fees and completed the payment process. I was waiting for the right dates to open for booking slot.  Usually dates would be available at about 4 to 5 days before the actual date of appointment. So, it is pretty clear, wait for the slots to open and book the date.  Also, there is no hassle in process, where you need wait at a certain time of the day for the slots to open and there is so many people booking at same time. With the payment process in place, it is very clear and there is no artificial demand created, so just book it at your convenient time, no need to pay some for getting slot.  Once your slot if booked using the system, take a print out the appointment receipt as you will need it for the entry at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK).  Read all the instructions clearly on the appointment letter as it has all the information you need.

Documents Required for your Newborn Baby at Passport Seva Kendra.
Assuming your situation is straightforward, with both parents alive and both are legally together, below are the Required documents List :

  1. Birth Certificate issued from the Govt Authority like Municipal office.Carry a copy of this.
  2. Proof of present address – usually parent’s passport with address is sufficient. If not, any utility bill, Aadhar Card, Gas connection, Election Voter ID, etc. with the address. We took copies of our passports ( mine and my wife’s) as it served as the address proof documents and other identification proof. Carry a copy of the address proof.
  3. Parents need to print and sign Annexure D from the passport Seva Kendra website
  4. One Passport Photo of the Baby with White Background.
  5. Printed copy of the PSK appointment receipt.

Optional documents:

My wife’s name was endorsed on my passport, so it was very straightforward. If not, it does not hurt to carry the Marriage certificate to avoid issues.  Below is a situation that is very common for many…

My spouse is abroad working in different country and cannot come to Passport office, What do I need to do ?  What is the process ?
As per passport application guidelines for minors, you need to have consent of both the parents signed in Annexure H and they need to be present. If one of them is abroad and cannot make it.  He or She needs to go to nearest Indian Consulate/ Embassy abroad and  get a Sworn Affidavit duly attested by the Indian Embassy/Consulate abroad  officials (as per Annexure “H”).   The original sworn affidavit needs to be carried along with you when you go to the passport office.

I always recommend you all to check the passport office website to verify, if any changes to the process or required documents.

You may also read How to apply for minor Passport without Spouse Name Endorsed Experience.

Check out the next step on Process at the Passport Seva Kendra for New Born Passport Application 

Baby Passport Applying Experience at  PSK Ghaziabad –  Shared by Paras Mohan

Hello All,  I went to PSK Ghaziabad today for the passport of my 7 month old baby and would like to share the entire story :

Documents Required :
1) Self Attested Copies of Father+Mother Passport ( With Originals )
2) Self Attested Birth Certificate of Minor
3) Passport size photograph
4) Passport Receipt Form
5) Annexure H

First of all, there is no direct walkin service at PSK, Ghaziabad for Minors, so we had to book the appointment and went on time. We entered and on the very first counter, he checked our initial documents, placed them in the file and asked us to go inside. We went inside and waited for about 15 mins max and our name was announced. For Minors, PSK give a token number starting from “S” which is a special case, so everywhere your token number will be treated on priority. And thats what happened, just when we were finished from Counter A ( max 10 mins ), our token number blinked for Counter B and then in next 2 mins, for Counter C. We were out in max 30 minutes.
It was such a great service there and we were highly delighted. Thanks PSK and Thanks TCS for such a great process.

Did I miss anything? Any other thoughts to add?


Other Articles

Comments ( 747 )

  1. Shaik Ruhistha

    Hi Mr. Kumar
    Is birth certificate is enough for making passport for 1.9 months old baby. his parents are staying in abroad and want to take him to abroad.

  2. Arasu

    hi , is digitally signed birth certificate with an application number is valid for applying passport for my baby ? because i got birth certificate from the municipal office through online. they did not provide me any physical birth certificate copy. so i have a confusion whether digital birth certificate will be accepted for applying passport.

    1. administrator

      Well, they may ask you for the original copy. You can go to the e-seva kendra in the state and get a physical copy printed. You can try calling them, if they accept online printed copy.

  3. Pavan Kumae

    Dear Kumar,

    My son is 10 months old and we have his brith certificate which doesn’t have his name and just written as “Babu” – a nick name when the certificate was given.

    My wife also doesn’t have a passport and would like to apply for both of them.

    Please let me know if I need to take an updated birth Certificate with his name on it?

    Thank you.

    1. administrator

      Yes, you will need the updated birth certificate with the correct name. In fact, I also needed to get Birth Certificate corrected as well in our case. Yes, she can apply for the passport, get your name on it and then apply for it. Also, they may ask your passport to be updated as well. you need to check on that day or call them.

  4. Sheela K

    i need to take passport for my 6 month old daughter,my husbands name is not added in my passport or vice husband is abroad now so cant come with me to passport office.
    can i take passport for my daughter without his presence and without having his name in my passport?

  5. Manish

    Hello Sir,

    I want to apply for passport of my 1 year baby. My baby has following docs:
    a. Birth certificate
    b. Aadhar card on mother address.

    we parents don’t have each others names endorsed on each other passports and have different addresses on passport.Can we apply for child’s passports ?

    what else docs are required ?

  6. Gunjan Kundu

    We want to apply for new passport for our baby aged 5 years. Problem is the name of my wife in birth certificate is Sabina Kundu whereas my wifes old name is Sabina Sheoran and she doesnt want to change after marriage. We have approached Fortis “Hospital to change name but they are not changing and asking us to go to Court for name change and Municipal Corporation wont change till the time hospital make changes. What should we do?

    1. administrator

      Yes, they will NOT change it. Any name changes to birth certificate need to go through municipal office. I suggest you work with municipal office and make sure you get all of them in line.

    2. Uma Chettri

      Hi I want to apply for the passport for my nine months old baby. Could you please tell me how can I apply through online?and what documents is needed? I also want to know how much time does it take to receive the passport? Please reply..

        1. Sohini Ray

          Hi kumar i want to apply passport for my 1 yr 3 months old baby. We, her parents have passports. My question is should i have to create new account in baby’s name in passport seva kendra ? Or my old account (created 3 yrs back) would suffice?

  7. Hema

    My son passport will expire on 15th sep 2019 , his UAE resident Visa valid till 17th Oct 2019, can he travel back to UAE on 10th sep 2019

  8. Daya

    We are trying to reissue our son’s passport. In his old Passport my name includes ( Daya + Maurya ) however in my present passport my name includes ( Maurya
    + Daya + my fathers name).
    The PSK officer is saying that i have to give the paper advertisement stating that my name is changed from -Daya + Maurya to Daya + Maurya + fathers name ?
    Please advise

    1. administrator

      If it was a mistake, you can submit old proofs and get it fixed. If you think, the current one is the right one, then you may need to follow the process as described by the PSK Officer…If they have said so, you should follow it to avoid issues…

  9. Meera


    My baby is 9 months old. My passport is from Kerala whereas my husband’s is from Bombay. Both passports are valid but my husband no longer stays at the given address. Also my passport has maiden name.

    Parents are staying at the address mentioned in my Kerala passport.

    We are currently living in a rented house but we do not have rental agreement. Gas bill is the only proof of residence we have for Chennai.

    Can I get my baby s passport via Tatkal? If yes, from which location do you recommend? Can I apply from Kerala?

    1. administrator

      You may try doing it, but not sure, if they will accept it for Tatkaal. Unless, you are really in rush, it does not make any difference, you should get passport in a week to 10 days…so, go for normal and submit your current address proofs. Your old address on passports are not relevant for this application.

  10. Maitry kadivar

    My baby boy is 4 months old. I want to know for his passport regarding. Baby’s passport copy enough for passport with others documents. If need to take bay at passport office ??

  11. Swati

    My husband have Hyderabad address passport and i have mumbai, but we are staying in Singapore. I came to india for delivery to my mothers place i dont have any address proof here. So what all documents need to make my baby passport.

    1. administrator

      You can use your fathers home address proof and have your date of birth or some other documents that indicates that you are their daughter. Other documents listed above are same.

  12. F D

    Sharing my experience whilst making passport for my baby boy.

    My senario:
    1. My passport and my wife’s passport did not have each others names endorsed.
    2. My passport had validity but the address was old.
    3. My wife’s passport had her FIRST NAME + maiden surname ans enough validity.
    4. child’s birth certificate has mother’s name with FIRST NAME + married surname. (no change in mother’s first name before and after marraige)

    Pre-requistes for quickly getting minor’s passport without PV
    1. Either parent should have spouse name endorsed.
    2. Passport of both parents if both have one.
    3. Child’s Birth Certificate.

    First thing I did since both our passports had enough validity it would hve been a waste of money to re-issue both therefore I did the following as changes to my passport were required anyways.
    1. Applied for re-issue of My Passport with change of address and endorsement of spouse name (spouse name should be as per name mentioned in child’s birth certificate because that is what will be considered).
    2. Got my passort in 3 days on POST PV basis

    Now applying for minor’s passport
    1. Child’s Birth Certificate bearing father’s name and mother’s First Name+ married surname
    2. My new passport having current address + spouse name as mentioned on child’s birth certificate.
    3. mother’s passport with my name not endorsed and having FIRSTNAME + maiden surname,
    4. mother’s Aadhaar Card (or any id proof ) bearing name as FIRSTNAME + married SURNAME

    Got minor’s passort the next day on no PV basis applied on 19/06/2019 got passport on 20/06/2019

    Note: If mother has passport with same first name + maiden surname it does not matter you have to provide one id proof for mother showing First Name + married Surname.

  13. Karthick M

    Hi Kumar,

    My spouse name was not mentioned (because taken before marriage) but my wife passport have my surname and spouse name. Do I need to add my spouse name in my passport before processing my baby..?? Is that mandatory.??

    so this will effect my baby (8month old) passport process..?

    1. administrator

      Don’t need to add, as long as one of you has the spouse name endorsed on it. It is mandatory to have at least one of your passports to have the spouse name. It will be fine, nothing to worry.

    2. Nilakshi Baruah


      Me and my husband having different addresses in our passports as it got issued before our marriage. Do we need to add spouse name in both of our passports or marriage certificate can be produced as supporting and aadhar card with spouse name? Plz revert.

      1. administrator

        If you are applying for child passport, then you need to add spouse name. Addresses do not matter. Yes, marriage certificate would help…recently, we do not see Marriage certificate requirement on the Passport website for adding spouse name…So, they may or may not ask…But, it is recommended to submit to avoid any unforeseen last minute issues.

  14. Mayank

    I want to renew passport for my 7 years old daughter. I am outside of India and my daughter is with her grandparents. is it possible to take without parents signature and is there any chance for my parents to apply for passport for her grand daughter as a guardian. If so can, you please help with process details. Thank you very much.

      1. Swati Walia

        My husband stays in Mumbai while me and my daughter are in Gurgaon. Can I apply for my daughter’s passport without him being present?
        My husband’s name is mentioned on my passport.

  15. Abhijith

    My wife and new born 4 months baby in India, and am currently in USA. Is it same old process that father to get affidavit from Indian embassy to apply kid passport in India or any change in process lately ? Please clarify regarding this.
    Thank you very much in advance.

    1. administrator

      Yes, there is change in process. Now, it is not mandatory to get the affidavit anymore. You can use Annexure C, where you can indicate that parent is outside or traveling. You can also go the old way as well. Double check with the Passport Seva Kendra customer service to be sure. Also, post your findings for community benefit.

  16. Debabrata Sanyal

    The address in my and my wife’s passport is that of Kolkata. However we had shifted to and are living in Chennai in a rented apartment. We are expecting a baby soon. We have a rental agreement (registered) with our landlord. I have two questions :

    1. Should I apply at PSK Chennai or PSK Kolkata ?
    2. What documents should we give as proof of address (since our passports have Kolkata address and we have no connection to Kolkata now) ?

    I request you kindly reply to my queries.


    1. administrator

      1. You should apply in the place you live now.
      2. Rental agreement will work. Also, other options are : you can also get your bank passbook updated to the same address to use that as proof of address. You can even get a letter from your company confirming that you live in that address.

      1. Pavan Badam

        Thanks for your answer. My case is similar to this and i have a couple of questions.

        1. Will the passport for the baby posted to the current address?
        2. The address mentioned in baby’s passport will be the same as the parent’s passport?
        3. Will it be a problem if my wife produces a recently opened bank passbook as a proof for current address?

        Request you to kindly clarify on the above queries.

        Thanks in advance

        1. administrator

          1. yes.
          2. yes.
          3. should not be a problem. They will look for photo based passbook. It is good to take additional address proof like rental agreement or employer letter, if you can…

  17. Akshitha Sivakumar

    I would like to apply passport for my baby .
    But I haven’t changed my address on my passport after marriage as it is not mandatory to have the address changed. So what else should I take to support this or how to go about this?


    1. administrator

      Nothing in specific. Read the above,it has full steps. you need current address proof and have spouse name endorsed, that’s it.

  18. Harshita

    For infant what do we fill for educational qualification. .. this is mandatory field and the options given oviously are not for infant as there is no qualifications.. what to do??

  19. Prathik Kini

    My recent experience :

    My baby was born on 17 March and i was able to get the birth certificate on 26th March. There was no hassle in this process.


    It is highly recommended to book an appointment way prior . I needed the passport badly as i have to apply for visa. The earliest appointmnt i got was on 12.04 in a place 100km from my town. Tatkal around my place is not available till 22 April.

    So if you are sure with the name and you need the passport early, better book an appointment as soon as possible

  20. JOHN

    I am from India, but recently I have acquired Portuguese nationality. My spouse along with my 2 5 years daughters are back home in India, GOA. I want to apply for daughter’s Indian passport. But at the moment I can’t go to India to complete the process.
    So it possible for my wife to complete the process without my presence?

    1. administrator

      Yes, she can. She needs to use Annexure C stating that you are not available in the Annexure, there is a check box for it.

  21. Heena mathur

    My surname and my husband surname is different in passport as my passport is before my marriage so this will effect my babies passport process..?

  22. mohan

    I want to apply passport for my 3 years old baby is it possible to take without husband signature and is there any chance for my parents to apply for passport for her grand daughter as a guardian. If so can, you please help with process details. Thank you!

  23. Murali

    I am from Andhra Pradesh and my wife is from Karnataka. Presently I am staying out side of India, Can I use my wife place (Karnataka) as permanent address for my new born 3 months old baby and my wife address proof is enough to proceed for my baby passport or need mine also ? Please clarify regarding this.
    Thank you very much in advance.

    1. administrator

      If your wife and baby are currently staying there, you can use those details and apply for passport. Need to have some address proof for the same.

  24. Sofia alam

    We want to apply for passport for my 4 month old kid in Tatkal. My husbands passport has Jharkhand as permanent address .i wanted d same address for my baby .can I submit her AADHAAR wid the Jharkhand address as permanent address proof. actually v both r working in Delhi , can I get my baby’s passport delivered to Delhi address submitting our working I card and rent agreement for the correspondence address or is it mandatory to go to Jharkhand to receive d passport?

    1. administrator

      Well, I doubt it. Usually, you need to submit proof of the current address and that’s what will appear on the passport. If there is police verification and you are not present there, then it will create issues and delays.

      1. Liz

        Good Day Sir,

        I would like to apply for newborn baby passport, but my husband is abroad. Above , I read that Annexure C is enough if one parent is absent..

        should Annexure C be signed by my husband and attested from abroad?

        Also I need to endorse my spouse name as well as change to his address in my passport .

        Also will tatkal service be available for newborn baby passport?

        I only have 2 weeks time since I need to fly back before my Visa gets cancelled. So, can you please tell me how many days it will take for both the passport?

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.