Home » Visas » USA » Apply US Visa » How to Check US Visa Status Online? CEAC Website, Errors Info

How to Check US Visa Status Online? CEAC Website, Errors Info

If you plan to go to the US, unless exempted, you need a US Visa. You may have applied for US Visa and if your visa was approved, your passport would have been taken at the US Consulate.  Even though the visa officer said it is approved, you may be curious to know the status of the US Visa stamping in your passport.

The question is, how do you check the status of your US Visa online. Also, even if your passport was returned and you were issued a slip saying something like administrative processing, you still would like to check the status of your visa online. We will look at the process to check US visa status online below with full screenshots.

Step by Step Guide to Check US Visa Status Online for Stamping in Passport

Step 1  – Visit CEAC Website: You need to go to US Dept. of State’s Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website. CEAC is part of the US Dept of State and is used to create DS-160, DS-260 visa applications. You would have used the same to create your US visa application.   Here is the link : https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ .

Check visa status -CEAC Website State Gov Website

Step 2 – Click Check My Visa Application Status: Depending on the kind of US Visa, you applied for, either a Non-immigrant Visa or an Immigrant Visa, you need to click on Check My Visa Application Status. Below are the direct links as well to check the status.

Enter Details to check US Visa Status on CEAC Website
Enter Details to check US Visa Status on CEAC Website

Step 3 – Enter Location, Application ID, or Case Number: Once you are on that page, you need to enter the below information as highlighted in the above screenshot with arrows and click on Submit button.

• Location: In the dropdown select the location where you went for the US Visa interview
  • Application ID: The Application ID is on your US Visa Appointment confirmation letter. It looks like the below screenshot on the letter or DS-160 application. US Visa Application ID
  • Case Number:  A ‘Case Number’ is something that the consulate would give and it is usually on a slip that is given to you, usually for Administrative processing or 221g.  It is in the format 2020118 145 1001.  You need to enter it correctly with spaces, otherwise, you will get an error saying “Your search did not return any data”. See the below screenshot on how the ‘Case Number’ looks. The Visa officer would have written it.Case Number - US Visa Status Check
  • Captcha Code: You need to enter the code that is shown in the image for spam bot check verification for humans.

Step 4 – View US Visa Status: Once you enter everything correctly and there are no errors, you will get the US Visa status displayed. It can be in a few statuses like Administrative Processing, Issued, or other statuses. See the below screenshots for examples of what you can expect to see. If in Administrative processing, you need to wait. If it says issued, then your visa was issued and you can be sure that your Visa stamping is complete and your US visa was issued.

US Visa Status – No Status

Usually, when you submit your documents for US Visa renewal using the dropbox option or occasionally after you attend an in-person visa interview, you may see the online status on the CEAC website that says ‘No Status’. It looks as in the below screenshot.

You see this status very commonly seen for dropbox cases. The reason for this is that they take some time to review the documents and update the case status online. There is a few days delay. Some users have reported that it took them up to 10 days. You may see this status anywhere from a few days up to 10 days from the date you dropped off the document or visited the consulate.

Do not panic, if you see the ‘No Status’ online for up to a week or 10 days. Only reach out to the consulate, if it continues to be in that state for longer.

CEAC Website Status shows as No Status
CEAC Website Status shows as No Status

US Visa Status – Administrative Processing

If you get the Administrative Processing, it means that the visa is not yet issued and there are checks in progress. You see this usually also for the first few days after your interview is done. If you were issued a 221g Administrative Processing, then this may take a longer time to move to issued.

US Visa Status Administrative Processing

Update: Since March 3rd, 2020 Users are not seeing the Administrative processing status anymore, they are seeing a new status that shows as refused. It looks like the below. Do not panic, it is a system-wide change to the text displayed.

See the below screenshot for updated text for Administrative processing cases. It says clearly that “If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. ” See highlighted text.

221g - Status Refused - CEAC Website

US Visa Status – Issued

If you have the Issued status, it means that your visa stamping is almost done and it is final stages. You should receive it soon in a week to 10 days. If you do not receive anything, then you can contact the consulate for the same.

US Visa Status - Issued

US Visa Status – Refused

If your visa was denied or refused, then you will see the ‘Refused’ status on the CEAC website. It essentially means that you could not prove to the consular officer that you are eligible for the issuance of a visa. There could be many reasons, sometimes, they are denied under 214(b) or other reasons. Your consular officer would give you a slip or indicate a reason for your denial.

For some cases, the refused status would be shown online as soon as the interview is done…for some cases like H1B, where they usually give Administrative processing, which is 221(g), and let’s say eventually refuse or deny the visa, then it will show up much later…

Below are screenshots of the Refused status of a US visa on the CEAC website one in Calgary, the other in Chennai.

Refused Status in Calgary US Consulate
US Visa Status Refused Sample
Refused Status on CEAC website for US Consulate General Chennai

Update : The text for actual refused cases also changed from the previous text. It has slightly different text that says, ” A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application..” Check below.

Refused - Actual Status from 2020 CEAC Website
Refused Status at Calgary US Consulate

Common FAQs – US Visa Status Check

Error – “Your Search did not return any data”?

If you are on the CEAC website and trying to check your US Visa status and get the error “Your Search did not return any data”, it means that you did not enter the data properly. You would have removed the spaces in the Case Number. You need to enter it with spaces properly. Example: 2020118 145 1001. Notice there are two spaces in the number. Below is the error screenshot for your reference. If you fix the spaces, error will go away.

Error – Invalid Application ID or Case Number?

If you get an error saying “Invalid Application ID or Case Number” like below, then you have either selected the wrong location and entered the Application ID or case number or you have entered the Application ID number wrong. It also can occur, if you enter the case number and miss some digits or add more digits. If you fix the numbers entered, then the error would go away.

You may check the below articles related to US Visa Stamping

1. I submitted my documents for h1b drop box at delhi for mumbai consulate on 10th november. It says your search doest return any data for mumbai embassy on ceac status check portal and no status for delhi embassy. Is this normal

2. I attended H1B interview along with 3 H4 dependents(spouse & 2 kids) at Hyderabad Consulate on 17th October. I opted for premium delivery and I got my passport and my 2 dependents(kids) passport delivered on 21st October. However I did not receive my spouse’s passport till date and her VISA application status shows ‘Approved’ and was last updated date shows as 17th October in the portal. Any idea what could be the reason for the delay ?

Recently I submitted my documents for VISA dropbox. Now I see the VISA status as below. Does that mean I need to go for an interview or re-submit any additional documents?

VISA status:
    Application Received: Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days. If no interview was required, please check back in two business days for the status of your application.
    For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad.

Naveen

• Naven,
      This is a general status for anyone where they have the application with them. You do not have to do anything. It will change, ignore it.

4. Hi, I had my H1B dropbox appointment at Hyderabad location on 21st Oct.
    I am concerned that CEAC portal is still showing as “No Status” even after 1 week since I dropped off my documents. Is this normal to see “No status” for a week?
    I read many h1b dropbox experiences and I noticed that “Application received” was being displayed on day 2 or 3 after dropbox appointment. But, mine still shows as “No status” even after a week. What do you think I should do?

• Hello,

I am in the same situation. I dropped off documents in Pune VAC on Oct 21st.. My appoitment was for Hyderbad. DS160 was filled with Mumbai location
      When I am trying to select Hyderabad on CEAC I get “Your search did not return any data.”

If I select Mumbai it gives me No Status.

Which location should i selct when checking status ?

• Adi, it did.
        Below is the timeline:
        10/21: Dropped off docs at Hyderabad consulate (appointment is also at same location)
        10/21 to 10/28: displayed “No Status”
        10/28: Application received
        11/02: Application received (case last update date changed)
        11/02: Approved on the same day
        11/03: Issued
        11/04: Received email saying passport is ready to pick up
        CGI Federal portal also showing “your passport is ready for pick up”

5. Hi, I left the documents for dropbox for H1 visa at Delhi on Oct 19th though my appointment was at Hyderabad. The status for Delhi is showing as No Status. Does anyone know when it will get changed?

6. A friend went for a visa interview on 28th of september 2022.The consular told him he is approved and his finger print was taking.So he has been checking his visa status and always shows approved then day 20th of october it shows refused my friend now is worried.The embassy did not send any email or nothing such.and his passport is still with the embassy.

7. Is “Approved” the same CEAC status as “Issued” or is there an additional step between the two? From what I can see, both of their description texts are exactly the same.

Also confusingly, my status went from “Approved” to “Administrative Processing” to “Application Received” and now back to “Approved” – all in the last 3 days.

If you have any insights, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Visa category: L-1B
    Embassy: Mexico City

I dropped my passport along with I-797A and photos on the 29th September 2022. The status on the http://staging2012.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-passporttrack.asp#options and the email options show “Passport In Transit to Post” for the past 4 days. Does anyone know when to expect change in status?

• Hi Ahmad, we have not received any update 🙁 the status keeps showing “refused” and the long text of the admin process.

My father will pick up his passport on Oct 03. Hopefully, they gave both passports, but the document only shows one.

9. Hello everyone. My mother’s visa was as “Approved” on September 23 2022 and now it says “Refused” on September 27. We are very anxious, could you please advise if it is normal? We have already sent an email to the consulate and embassy.

Thank you!

• Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the reply. It was a group application of my parents. My dad’s application shows “Issued” and he already received the e-mail saying the passport is ready for pick-up but the document with the barcode, only shows my dad’s name and passport #.

On the other hand, my mom’s application keeps saying “Refused” and the long text of the admin process.

Hopefully, they would give them both passports with their visas, I’m worried cuz the pick-up document only shows him.

I will update on Wednesday 10-03 (fingers crossed)

• Madison,
          Stay positive, usually the online system can be showing misleading info and that refused does not mean much at times. Please do for community benefit.

• Hi Kumar,

We received my father’s passport/visa (after 9 months of admin process). However, my mother’s visa is in the administrative process again 🙁 We are still confused that it went from Approved to Refused.

Hoping it will take fewer days this time.

• Madison,
          Oh no, that’s a long wait. But, did your fathers got approved? The sad reality is that, not much we can do and just wait.

• Hi Kumar,

Yes, my father’s visa was approved for 10y.

Now my mom’s is back to “Approved” since 10-14. Hopefully it will change to “Issued” soon 🙏🏻

This has been a rollercoaster of emotions! I just want to see her happy again.

• Hi Madison,

Thanks for sharing your experience, i am having the same issue with my parents my mom;s application says “Approved” and my father:s refused and the long text. Im super worrried..

Do you have any update on your mothers case?

10. i lost application id or case number us visa pl help me and ans reply
    Receipt number WAC-12-901-13670
    RECEIPT DATE DEC-14-2011
    Case Type I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE FIANCE (E),OR ORPHAN
    Beneficiary A200 962-872 NARIA PARESHKUMAR R

11. Is it okay to use visa agents to book slots?

Im hearing visa may get rejected. Any insights on this matter will be helpful. I dropped my passport 1 day ago and status says “No status”

12. My request showing Approved yesterday but it was changed to administrative processing today morning and now it is showing application received. Any help ?

13. And how long from when you are approved till you are given your passport and visa? Right now my CGI is showing document delivery information: what does that mean?

14. I dropped my documents at VAC Delhi on August 4, 2022 it showed AP after 2 days n then issued 2 days later and then approved a week later but now it shows refused with the long status message
    Can someone please explain this

• Navdeep,
      Sometimes, it can be misleading to see the online status. Check with the embassy and check your passport after collection for the actual details.

• Hello Navdeep, Did you get any update on this? Were you able to contact the embassy?
      I’m in a similar situation. Dropped my documents on 5th Aug 2022 and status showed Approved on 24th Aug. On 29th Aug, status changed to Refused

15. Hello All,

I attended Delhi Vac for dropbox on 11 july 2022. My case status is still showing as no status but today i got an email stating passport is ready for pickup. Did anyone face this situation?

16. The visa officer approved my visa on 14th June 2022 in mumbai and took my passport , but since then the website shows administrative processing. It has been a week now but no status change , please advise me how can i get my passport back

17. Hello all ,

I did Dropbox in Bangalore , Vac is Hyderabad . Me and my daughter applied for h4 stamping . Husband’s H1b got stamped few weeks ago . Ours is a simple case . When me and my daughter were at the Bangalore vac the person who took out documents was nice and told us that it’s going to take some time because there is extra backlog and also with the new rule that you can drop off the documents anywhere it’s little tough for them .

It’s been 14 calendar days since I dropped off . First 11 days it showed nothing . And on 7th the status got updated to application received . I know it creates a lot of anxitey and nervousness but there is nothing we can do about it . Easiest is to drop the email to us travel docs . I called the helpline multiple times but they have the same update as me . Best is to only wait . Patience is the key to success .

I am still waiting for our passports and visa to be stamping but I am positive and so should everyone be .

Take care guys and I will update my situation once I get my passports stamped .

• Hi Shagun,

I also had a dropbox appointment in Bangalore on 10th June and VAC is Hyderabad. When I log in to us travel docs status shows ” Visa with US embassy/consulate” but when I check https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx it shows “no status “.

• HI Shagun,

Was your status as shown below: (Does this mean, I need to go for an interview or do they need any additional documents?)
      “Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days. If no interview was required, please check back in two business days for the status of your application”
      For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad.

18. Did you have any response to date? I am in the same situation. CEAC Case # showns issued while application ID shows refused.

19. I appeared for my L1 interview on March 22nd.
    The Visa office gave me a white slip 221g with a Case Number , kept my passport and i129s.

On March 28th the status of “Case Number” changed to “Issued”.

While the status of my “Application Id” still shows as “Refused” , its being updated constantly and last update was on April 18th.

What does this mean ? Is my Visa issued or still under administrative processing?
    Any idea on how long will take to get a decision ?

20. Hey! I see on comments many of us we have same question regarding the status “Your search did not return any data” my case was In Transit status and after couple of weeks I reached out to Embassy to see if they received case and after like two weeks they respond to me that they are not open yet for interviews and since then I can’t track the case I try every single day and status shows that “ Your search did not return any data“ I contacted them again to ask if they are any issues with case they didn’t respond to me until now .

How the situation ends with those who have the same problem???? . Thanks

21. I had my interview today and the officer said that my visa was approved. However the status on ceac website changed to administrative processing today. What does this mean? Is it going to take a long time to process?

22. I get this when looking for Non inmigrant Visa B1/B2

“Your search did not return any data.”

Believe me, i’ve checked for spaces, spelling and everything. Can anyone help me?

23. Dropbox document for b1/b2
    Submitted on Jan 12
    still seeing ‘ No Status’
    Waiting 4 days
    If anyone has update how soon their status changed please reply.