The passport office used to be a place of big mess with long lines and tedious process. It is amazing how the system has changed after Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) operations have been outsourced to TCS. Private organizations outsourcing totally defines quality of service and incomparable. Couple years ago, I shared my experience of process at Hyderabad Passport Seva Kendra for Passport renewal. In this article, let me share my PSK experience applying passport for our new born baby in Tirupati, India. This article is continuation to article on how to Apply for new born baby passport India, required documents.
Who will be allowed into Passport Seva Kendra ? Walk-in or Appointment ?
Only Mother, Father and the baby will be allowed into PSK office. You need to carry your appointment letter or Application Receipt (ARN) copy. PSK website states that you do a direct walk-in without any appointment, if you are applying for a Minor’s passport between 0 to 3 years old. Many of our readers confirmed the same and did a direct walk-in to the PSK, just check the hours of walk-in. In my case, I did not know that info, so I took an appointment and went to the PSK office at the given time and I was let inside along with my wife and baby. If you are doing a walk-in ensure that you are carrying enough cash for paying towards the application fee.
Step by Step Process inside Passport Seva Kendra office.
- Once the security guard checks your appointment or application receipt letter, they will let you in.
- All the processing is done by TCS, so it is done very well and they are not like regular government employees and do a good job as they seem to have some metrics.
- You do NOT have to stand in regular line as you are with a baby, you can go to a separate line that is dedicated for senior citizens and kids, where you will give all your documents to the person there.
- They will verify your original documents like your Passports, Birth Certificate, and Check the photograph, and the Annexure D. and take the application receipt copy, passport or address proof copies, birth certificate copy. They will just verify the originals. Always you will hold the originals.
- If you do NOT have a photo of your baby in white background, you will be asked to get that. Don’t panic, I had to do that, it will be fine. There should be something around the passport office.
- Once verification is done, they will ask you to go to waiting hall area, if there is too much crowd.
- Your name will be called in the waiting hall area or just around there and you will be given a file with a token number on it.
Passport Seva Kendra simplified process calls it a three step process from here : Step A, Step B and Step C, and Exit.
You will have to wait in the waiting hall and look at monitor for your token to be displayed, it will tell which counter to go in. Now processing starts at Step A or Section A.
Step A: Take Photo, Verify Info in System, Scan Documents
Once you go to the counter, they will check your documents originals like birth certificate, passports, address proofs, etc. and take finger print of your baby with ink. They will ask you verify your name and spellings at this section. It is very critical to pay attention to all the details here. They will scan the copies of your original/ Xerox copies documents and upload the same to the system. This is the most important step in my view after this it is all just verification. So, pay attention to spellings and address here carefully. It can take up to 10 min depending on their system speed and the person doing it. Also, you can ask the person to disable text message notifications, if you have chosen it while filling application form, as it is not required. The person processing said that you do not need it as there would not be police verification and it is very straightforward for minors, so why waste Rs.100 or so for SMS charge and he removed that. Once you are done at Step A or section A, you will be asked to go to other waiting area.
Step B : Verification of documents, originals.
Once your token number appears in the monitors, you go to section B or step B. This is an additional verification step done by the Government employee. They will look at each and every original document and cross verify the details. I believe, this is to ensure that all of the documents are thoroughly verified. It takes roughly 2 to 3 min here, nothing much to do here. After this again, you go back to the waiting area for your turn.
Step C: Passport Issuing Officer – Verification
You come to the passport issuing officer after your token appears in the monitor. The officer is a government employee and will ask for your originals. They did NOT ask us any other questions. They just blindly looked at documents and said, it is done. It took about 2 minutes or less. That’s it ! Now you go the last step.
Exit Step : Give the Application Receipt and Token, get Acknowledgement Receipt.
After the above Step C, you just go to the exit section and give them your token number and application receipt. The person there will take that info and give you an acknowledgement receipt with the respective information. The acknowledgment slip will tell you some things like, if police verification required or not, etc. In general, there is no police verification required for a minor passport, if the parents have passport. It said that Police verification not required for my case. That’s it, you are all set and you now wait for your passport to be delivered.
Next Steps – Printing of Passport, Speed Post Delivery
I checked the status, couple of days after my appointment and it said, the passport is printed. I was amazed by it. You will get an email with the info like this : “This is to inform you that Passport has been printed for your application with File Number XXXXXX.The same will be issued to you after Lamination, Signing and Quality Check. “
Almost after 4 to 5 days you will get another email saying that your passport has been dispatched via speed post. It can take anywhere from 1 to 4 days depending on your place. Overall, the process took little over 10 days and it is impressive for a normal processing passport.
What has been your experience ? Did you get it earlier ? Did I miss anything ?
Minor Passport Applying Experience at Chennai in 2020 by JAISABARIBALAJI.
I have applied Normal quota passport for my 20 days old girl baby @ PSK Saligramam, Chennai 08/06/2020 during covid-19 pandemic situation.
1. Don’t opt for tatkal quota for minors, its waste of money. If either parent’s present residential address proof is available ( as mentioned in passport website ) with either spouse name is endorsed in passport. If all the mentioned are available within 3 days( excluding application submission date) minor passport will reach you in Normal quota.
1. Booked appointment for my baby ( 20 days old ) on 8th June 2020.
2. Process started with ‘S’ token issued coz applicant was infant @ 12.35pm, completed by 1.01pm.
3. Followed by 1.01pm text message “granted for No-police verification basis”
4. By 1.30pm Passport Printing initiated.
5. Printing completed on 9th June 2020, 3.30pm .
6. 10th June 2020 Passport dispatched by 12.35pm.
7. 11th June 2020, awaiting to receive.
- Baby birth certificate was available ( Name included in Birth certificate )
- Me and my wife have a valid passport (Spouse endorsed)
- Aadhar card of both parents with same present address as address proof .
- Annexure D duly signed by both parents.
- Passport size photograph with white background. Dont complicate with baby photo too much. only face top to bottom should be visible not even ears.
Minor Passport Applying Experience from Chennai PSK – 2017 by Sathish.
(Thanks to Sathish for sharing his experience.) I went to PSK Saligramam in chennai today. Wanted to highlight few things.
1. No direct walkins for Minors.
2. If you have two kids, (Which was my case, they allowed one extra person (inlaw) to accompany) Not sure about grown up kids above 10+ . I had 2 months and 1.5 yrs kid.
3. SMS fee is 45 Rs
4. TIL/ TCS sells leather passport cover in PSK and they will ask for it in A counters. (350/450/550 rs)
5. The best thing you can do is book appointment for 9 AM slot or 9 15 as there wont be any backlogs and entire process completed in 1 Hr and youll get priority from document verification counter.
6. Minors get S tokens instead of N tokens and they have priority.
7. Anexxure H is different from Annexure D. when bth parents have passport and accompanying the child then it should be Anexxure D.
8. Having Aadhaar card helps in speeding the process and makes a No Police verification grant. Address on my spouse passport was different to mine. but Aadhaar had it same for both of us.