Applying for Indian passport used to be a complicated process in the past and mostly done with the help of agents. But, things have changed in past few years with good process and technology. You do not need an agent anymore and can do it everything on your own. We cover the entire process end to end and also have user experiences too.
Indian Passport Renewal vs Re-Issue
“Renewal and Re-issue are used interchangeably by many. But, there is subtle difference. The term renewal is used, if you have a passport with Short Validity Passport (SVP) and you are applying for extending the same. In that case, you will still be getting a new book. Unlike, Re-issue relates to exhaustion of pages or passport reaching the end of 10 year validity. The term renewal and re-issue are used interchangeably in the below article for easy understanding. The process is same, so nothing to worry.
When can you Renew or Re-issue Indian Passport ?
You can renew or re-issue your Indian passport up to 1 year before the expiration of the passport. If you are a student, you can get re-issue of your passport within two years of expiry by selecting reason ” Validity expired within 3 years/ Due to expire”. You can also renew or get re-issue of passport, if you meet any of the below :
- Your personal details changed like name, martial status, etc.
- Your passport expired already within last 3 years or before
- Your passport pages are completely full and no pages left
- Your passport is damaged or you lost the same.
Passport Document Advisor : Indian Passport Website has a document advisor, that clearly tells the required documents, you should enter your details, to get the list of documents required before you begin to process, so that you do not end up in panic after registering. You can access it at Passport India Document Advisor
Below is the step by step guide to get Indian Passport re-issue or renewed.
Step 1 : Register Online Account at Passport Website
Since the paper based forms are eliminated, you need to fill Indian passport application online. Below are the details.
- The very first step is to register yourself with the Passport Website. All you need to do is go to Passport Seva Website and click on ” New User Registration”.
- You will be asked to fill basic details and email ID. This will be used to login and fill the passport application form. You can choose the passport office based on where you currently live now.
- The second thing is to activate your account using the email you get and login.
- After you login, you will see an option called “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”. Click on that and enter details.
- Can Submit Passport Application Anywhere : Since June 2018, as per new guidance, you can apply for passport anywhere in India. You do not have to do it in the same state of your residence. There is a dropdown in the account creation page, you are free to choose the location where you are
Step 2 : Fill Passport Application Online
After you activate your account and login, you will be presented with two options to fill out application form, the online system will show as Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 . It does not matter what you use, both work the same.
- Alternative 1 : Using Online form to fill the application online. You will need internet.
- Alternative 2 : Using PDF form. You download the form, fill it out and then upload it.
The recommended option is to use the Alternative 2 with PDF form as some details may not be readily available with us and we have to save info, etc. I also prefer the PDF form option as it is very detailed and clear. Either case, it is the same. You will need the below details to complete the form.
- Your current address details and other details that are already in your previous passport.
- You need to enter Emergency Contact Details like Name, phone number and email.
- If you are changing any details like adding Spouse info, their info as per document
If you are using the PDF form option, you will need to fill all the mandatory fill and then hit validate and Save, it will ask you to save a file (XML file) and give it a name.
You need to upload that file in the section where you just downloaded the PDF form. All the details will be automatically created, you need to verify before saving as you cannot change the details after this step. Of course, you can change them when you are at passport office, if anything wrong.
Step 3 : Pay and Book a Slot or Walk –in, Print Application Receipt :
Once your application is created, next step is to check for available slots and then pay for it. There is an option on the website home page to check the slots as well or you can go to Check Appointment Availability. Anyways, once your application is submitted. you need to select it, for that see below.
- You will have an option on the left saying ” View Saved / Submitted Applications “. Select the application by clicking on radio button. Then you will show options with links to them. You need to click on Pay and Schedule Appointment.
- This will give option for payment, either online or pay with challan. Usually, it is easy to do it online way. Selected Online Payment
- Then you will have option to select the Passport Service Kendra and the time slot. It will show the available time slots options.
- You can select the same and then you will go for payment page. Where you can select your payment option. I used NetBanking and it was seamless.
If you are eligible for walk-in, you can cancel the appointment and then carry that cancellation page, along with the payment receipt page, you will be allowed to walk-in directly during the respective hours.
Once payment is complete, you will have to print the application receipt and carry that with you on the appointment day. It will have a bar code as well, ensure that is clearly printed and it has the payment confirmation info on it. If you find something wrong in the details, make a note, then you can tell the same at passport service kendra.
Step 4 : Documents List for Passport Re-issue or Renewal
You have a nice step by step guide to help you identify the list of documents that you need for your passport renewal. If you go to the home page and click on Document Advisor for renewal / re-issue , you will get a form to select options. Based on options it will show the list of documents that you need. These are the documents you will need. NO Additional documents are required. In fact, I called the customer support as well and they said the same list and my experience at Passport Seva Kendra says the same. You do NOT require additional documents. Do NOT listen to others.
Indian Passport Renewal Documents Checklist
Below are the typical documents that you need to carry to the passport office, depending on your situation.
- You must print out the online form that you printed out with the Application Reference number ( ARN ) and carry with you. It is mandatory to have this document with you.
- Original Old Passport that is expiring or expired
- Same Address as in your Old Passport :
- You do NOT need anything other than photo copy of your passport first page, last page and the page with ECNR info. You will do self-attestation ( your own signature)
- You may carry current address proof like a utility bill or Bank statement or Voter card, etc… see below for some of those documents.
- Change in Address – Different one from your Old passport address
- Just like above, first, last and ECNR page photo copy with self attestation
- Address proof of change in address – Any one of the below is acceptable.
- Any one of the Utility bills like Water, Telephone, Electricity Bills – You need at least for 2 months of which one should be of current year and other should be of previous year.
- Proof of gas connection. If you are submitting utility gas bill, PSK will ask for two of those from past two months. Make sure you carry two of them. This was shared by our reader Karthik.
- Ration Card with address .
- Bank Statement for 1 year, Passbook of the bank account with address on it.
- Any of the cards like Aadhar card, Voter ID, etc.
- Add Spouse Name, Change
- If you would like to add your spouse name, carry original and photo copy of your marriage certificate. It is required. You need a photo copy that needs to be self attested.
- If you plan to change any details like names, etc, you need to carry original with photo copy signed by you.
There may be other set of documents that you may be asked from the website, if some exceptions for your case. That’s why always check passportwebsite.
Step 5 : Go to Passport Office (PSK) for Appointment
If you have got a slot, go at that exact time or 15 min before, no need to go there and wait outside. If you are eligible for walk in, you can do that. The process at PSK is very straightforward and they have clear steps for the process. For process at PSK, read Process at a Passport Seva Kendra and some key pointers .
Indian Passport Renewal Experiences
Below are real experiences shared by our readers A G Bhat, in Bangalore and Mrinal from Mumbai. Thanks to them for sharing his experience. Also, we have many other experiences in the comments, do check them out.
Passport Re-issue Experience at Mumbai
I had my Indian Passport renewal today in Mumbai(Andheri PSK) as my passport was expiring within 1yr. Got appointment for 9.15AM IST and was asked to report at 9am. (Under Regular processing) . Process was very smooth and straightforward and I was complete in 1hr time (primarily due to preparation and early slot).
Passport Re-issue Process at Mumbai
1. I had actually downloaded the PDF first and filled it and kept so that any trials errors needed were done on that.
2. I was having minor difficulty uploading it probably because i renamed etc. However I used the filled PDF as entry for Online application (Which also can be saved and filled over multiple attempts like for any college /visa application).
3. The form was submitted.
4. I have just moved back from US so I wrote my current Indian address which was also in my Aadhaar card . Mentioned US address for previous in last 1yr stay without state or county.
5. I had even uploaded PDF copy of all documents though not sure if it was any help today.
6. Paid online and booked appointment
Documents Required On Passport Appointment Day
1. Originals: Passport(old), Aadhaar (both top and bottom part: for Address proof and ECNR), 10th Marks card (for ECNR)
2. Copy of first 2 pages, last 2 pages and Page number 2 of passport which would either not mention anything or ECR. ( I had not taken page 2 and was asked to take photocopy at Passport Seva Kendra)
3. Copy of 10th marks card and Aadhar both top and bottom part. ( Had not taken copy of top part and had to take at PSK.)
Process at PSK for Passport Re-issue
At the PSK try to reach early for your reporting time. The entry is not based on sequence number assigned but based on your arrival for your reporting time. Once you enter, the originals, photocopy and application receipt are checked once and after all documents are confirmed you are asked to wait till they generate token number. After token number is generated you are asked to go inside and wait for 1st step in A counter.
At the A counter documents are scanned, photo taken, biometrics verified and signatures taken. Also they check if you want to enroll in Mobile Seva(Sms updates for Rs 40). If yes you pay in cash exact amount. Once done you are asked to goto B counter.
At B Verification Officer (VO) validates the entries again and puts his ticks & sign in the application. Once B is complete, one proceeds to C counter for Granting Officers approval who again verifies documents and stamps both the old passport ( Cancel & returned) and approval stamp for application,
Once that is done you are asked to proceed to exit counter where you are given acknowledgement receipt and asked to fill feedback form. The acknowledgement ideally mentions your passport approved post police verification.
Passport Renewal Experience at Bangalore
My passport had expired three months back. I read the articles in this site and understood the procedure to be followed. After understanding the same clearly, I applied online and selected the slot at Bengaluru (Lalbhag) PSK. I applied on a Saturday and slot was available for very next Monday. However, I opted for a slot on Wednesday which I got. So there was no necessity for me to cancel the same and go for “walk in”. On Wednesday, my time was at 10.45 AM and I went there exactly at 10.30AM.
The process at PSK was exactly the same the Hyderabad PSK explained in this site. Courteous people, proper guidance at every stage, no confusion at all and no hassles. After successfully finishing the entire process I came out from PSK at 11.15AM, in just 30 minutes for whole process. I gave my feedback as “Excellent” for the service but I feel that this is too less a grade. World class experience indeed. Thanks to the vision of the External Affairs Department of Govt of India. And my thanks to all concerned, from Prime Minister and External Affairs Minister to TCS and every one in the PSK.
Along with my wife also had applied for re issue of her Passport. We both selected the same slot and went inside together and we both came out together. She could not believe that such things can happen in our country.
In the past, there were few things that were not clear. Now, with online process and outsourcing the process is fully online and no need for agent. You can do everything on your own.
It usually takes anywhere from 10 days or so to 30 days. In many cases with the new system, many were able to get passport within 10 days. But, if there are some delays in police verification or other things, it can take time.
If for some reason, there are delays, you can reach out to Regional Passport Officer and take it from there. You can check RPO Process to Speed up Indian Passport Processing
If you have passed 10th, then you are Non-ECR category. You can read complete details at ECR vs. ECNR(non-ECR) Indian passport Differences
Also, if you are an NRI, not living in India and plan to renew passport during your visit to India, check out Process for NRI to renew passport in India