We have an article that talks about Indian Passport Renewal Process without an Agent, but it does not talk about process for NRIs ( Non-Resident Indians) that plan to renew passport in their home country when they are on vacation or for some other reason. Below are experiences shared by our readers Udita, Krish and Thani. Thanks to them for sharing their experiences. You can share your experience here
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in UK
By Udita – Background : I renewed my Indian passport (as it was 8 months to expiry date) in India (Delhi) via Tatkal mode. I currently live in the UK but hold an Indian passport.
List of Documents submitted for Passport Renewal in Tatkaal Option :
* Old passport
* ID proof (Voter ID)
* Address proof (Aadhar card) – my permanent address in India had changed
* Class 12 marksheet and pass certificate (for ECNR)
* Annexure F
* 1 photocopy of everything (I carried 2 copies, needed only 1)
Step by Step process for Passport Renewal for Tatakaal :
I applied for Tatkal passport on 20 Dec
My new passport arrived by Speed post on 22 Dec
(The following is for those whose permanent address in India has changed)
Police Verification Process :
Police came to verify at home on 23 Dec (asked questions about where I live etc – I told them I live in the UK and have come to India on holiday). He made me handwrite and sign a letter stating where I live and what I do in the UK and the dates of my last 2 visits to India. I also put my current permanent address and signed it.
I got my police verification is clear confirmation on 29 Dec.
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in USA
By Krish – Background : My passport was going to expire in Dec 2017 and had to get a new one issued. I had been living in the United States for the past 8 years and decided to get it done while I was visiting India (between April and May 2017). I decided to go for tatkal re-issue since I had my return flight to US in 2 weeks. So this was my situation: no change in address, but change in marital state, got my Aadhar card made as soon as I reached (since I was visiting India after 2 years).
Process for Indian Passport Renewal for someone living in Another Country :
- I filled out the application on the PSK website which was fairly straightforward. I entered my Aadhar Card # and agreed to have my print records retrieved for verification.
- Like many others here, I was mighty confused as to what documents to carry due to conflicting information – do I need an Affidavit for tatkal? Do I need to produce my 10th school leaving certificate (i don’t even have the faintest idea where I put it!) for non-ECR status? Do I need to enter my overseas address in the application? I spent several hours searching for answers and decided to go with what the Doc Advisor came up with below Document Checklist.
- copy of the front / back page of the passport,
- copy of my Aadhar card & Marriage Certificate (even though it wasn’t listed).
- I paid Rs. 1500 for the application through NetBanking and scheduled an appointment for the next day – 2/5/17.
Process at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK)
- I was supposed to reach by 11:30AM for my 11:45 appointment but got there at 12:15 (yeah, I am a big late-lateef). When I got inside, I stood in the q for 20mins to get a token, only to realize that tatkal applicants had a different Q.
- I went to the tatkal counter and the person at the counter took my application, passport and aadhar card copies and asked me to wait in the waiting area (he did not give me a token #). I waited there and realized that normal quota applications were getting processed quite rapidly and normal quota tokens were getting called each second.
- I must have waited for about 45 mins (which felt like hours) when finally the guy called me and gave my documents back along with a token number.
- Process at Counter A :
- Within 2 minutes, my token # was called and I went to one of the ‘A’ counters where the officer took my photo and entered my application details into her system and asked me to self-attest the copies. I told her that my marital status had changed and asked if she wanted to see my marriage certificate; she shook her head. She then got my fingerprints and asked me to pay Rs. 2000 cash for the tatkal service. Then she asked me to proceed towards the ‘B’ counters
- Process at Counter B & C :
- My token number got called immediately in one of the ‘B ‘ counters instead and the officer again, verified my documents against the originals. I waited for about 5 more minutes and my token number got called again in one of the ‘C’ counters, this time, the granting officer. She again went through my application and finally said “granted”. Phew, a sigh of relief. I then proceeded to the exit counter and got the confirmation which indicated that no police verification was required. Yay! I then went home, mildly surprised how smooth it went. Within a couple of hours, I got an SMS with the tracking number for the new passport. Amazing!
What was needed and Police Verification :
Passport re-issue in tatkal (expiring in 8 months) – only needed copies of first and last 2 pages of passport & Aadhar card. In and out in 1 and half hours. No police verification required since no change in permanent address. Got the new passport next day.
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in Singapore – Tatkaal – 2018
Background : Today I had renewed my Passport which is about to expire in Aug, 2018 (6 months) through Tatkaal quota smoothly without any trouble. FYI, there is no change of address to the existing passport. I am working in Singapore for almost 6 years and I noticed that my passport about to expire soon. I thought of getting it renewed from Indian embassy located at Singapore, but I didn’t process that way due to expensive charges.
I generally make a visit to Chennai 3 months once for a week holiday. And I decided to renew my passport at Regional Passport Office(RPO) Chennai during this trip.
Things I did before arriving to Chennai PSK – Application Online :
- I applied passport renewal through online under http://www.passportindia.gov.in/ .
- Created an account and logged into the passport seva website.
- I had filled in all the required details for passport renewal in the online application form.
- Present and Previous Address : I have entered Present and Previous address with my Permanent address in India.
- I also uploaded address proof (Aadhar Card, Voter ID) into the website for reference.
- I made an online payment for passport renewal of INR 2000 & balance amount of INR 2000 to be paid at RPO office during the appointment which is nothing but your Tatkaal processing fee.
- I scheduled my appointment just nice one day after my arrival to Chennai considering my short trip.
- You are allowed to reschedule your appointment 3 times after application submission.
Documents required for Passport renewal NRI in India: (For no change of address)
1. Original and photo copy of your passport and Aadhar card is enough.
2. No need any Annexures like B, F … etc (These Annexures applicable only for damaged / new passport applicants).
Passport Re-issue Appointment Day, Process :
- During appointment day it took only 45mins for me to complete the process the same day evening I got the SMS from passport seva that my passport has been dispatched through speed post.
- This process also applicable for people with change of address who required Aadhar ID / Voter ID / etc. as address proof.
- No agents required.
What has been your experience ?
Also, there are confusions on what address to put when you fill passport application, read Passport Renewal as NRI – Present Address Details
What should I write in present address when staying abroad for last few years ?
I applied passport for my new born daughter in UK through Indian Consulate.
I received the passport , followed which I received a email that police verification is initiated.
Unfortunately my parents were not available at home when police came for verification. My dad went to the police station and the constable mentioned that he has closed the verfication stating he couldnt verify as no one is available.
I mailed embassy regarding this and requested for reverification but no response from them. I am not sure what is the status of the police verification.
I have to apply visa for her, Will there be any impact due to this? has anyone come across situation like this before?
Thanks for sharing your experience . Is this issue sorted out or still trying to find details.
was there any change in address ? Why Police verification triggered?
Hi Kumar, I saw lot of help above you are extending to all by addressing their questions. Many thanks for that.
Can you please advise in our case of my wife’s passport reissues ( 8 months to expire )which is as below.
We stay abroad but currently since almost 5 months we are in India and leaving in our own home of which the electricity bill is on my wife’s name .
I am planning to renew my wife’s passport during my holidays to India. I know in the application in the passport seva Kendra website there is a question like is your present address out of India,
1) what should we click there? India address or out side India ? ( India present address which is on MSEb bill ? )
2) do we need to tell in passport seva kendra about my wife’s aty at abroad before coming to India 6 months ago? we have a proof of residential permit, also temporary police registration at aboard valid for 1 year.
Also, my wife’s existing passport has old address which need to change now during this renewal/reissue .
2)will they process my application with present address proof of MSEB bill or do the need Adhar card also for same address ?
1. If you have visa and plan to return back, then you should select your address is outside of US.
2. Yes, if they ask so. Usually, they may do a police verification at times. Usually they give your address in India for the address in passport.
3. They may ask for Aaadhar as it is almost a required field in most of the systems. If you have it, use that. If not, apply for it now, it can help in future.
If you are in doubt, you can call the customer service, they are quite helpful.
Do share your experience, how it goes here for everyone benefit.
I want to apply for passport Renewal . All my orignal educational documents are in USA.. I do have scan copy will that work for non ecr passport. Do they check the original education certificate.
Hi, I will be traveling to India from US. I have 5 months before my passport expires. Will renew in Hyderabad. But my address in India has changed from the one printed in the passport . My washer card and DL also has previous address. In this case will there be a police verification? Also do I need to create a new address proof? How long will it take to get my new passport?
It may or may not be…hard to say…You need to carry your current address proof and submit that. It can take anywhere from few days to few weeks. Try to see, if you can apply for tatkaal, if you are in time crunch, you get it faster.
My passport expires in 3 months, and I’m planning to get it re-issued. I was hoping to do it via tatkal process. I need to update my recent photo, and when I selected change of appearance, it says tatkal is not allowed ? Does a passport renewal not come with a new photo usually?
That may not apply to you. They will take your photo on the day of appointment. So, it will get changed.
The change in appearance is tied to anyone like with beard before, with turban, changing it or something that is cosmetic and changes the appearance fully…You should just select normal renewal…
Hi, I am an NRI about to visit India and wish to renew my passport in India. But I have absolutely no address in India. I stay with various relatives. The current indian address in my passport was that of my father who passed away long ago and the house sold. So will I be able to renew my passport in India?
Please give an address, where some correspondence can be taken or verified. In case, they need to verify anything at least someone should be able to tell that you all sold the house,etc. You can definitely give it a try, in general should be possible. Also, there could be a police verification as well. If you think, it is too much hassle do it within the US, that is probably much easier, in terms of logistics…
Hi, I saw your post and I am also in similar situation. I just wanted to know if you resolved the issue of not having an address in India? If yes, then how did you manage to renew your passport?
Hi I have a question. I am visiting India and decided to renew my passport on tatkal basis. Currently on my passport there is not mention of my spouse. I got married 4 years ago. Is it necessary for me to add my spouse name even if i dont want to add it. I heard that its not mandatory to add spouse name on passport. I am trying to fill the application online on passport Seva without mentioning anything on the Status column but its not accepting it. Any Suggestions?
Just to clarify i will be applying the passport in India on tatkal basis. I just dont want to have my spouse added in the passport but passport seva is not allowing me to fill out the information without leaving the Status section empty
It is not mandatory, but you should add your spouse. The simple reason is that, when you will fill out the form, you need to fill out Martial status as Single, which is not true in your case, if you do not want to add… and at the end you would check a box saying you are telling the truth…So, it may create issues, if something goes wrong anywhere…
That field is mandatory and you cannot skip it, you need to enter your martial status and you should not lie.
My wife and kids living with me in Edinburgh with dependant tier 2 general visa having valid BRP. She went for vacation with my kids during school holidays and she renewed her passport in India which was about to expire next year. She is returning back to UK in Aug. She will carry both old & new passport. Can I please know what questions will be raised during immigration as I see few people like Udita renewed passport similar to my wife?
I just got my passport renewed under Tatkaal.
I live in Europe and visited my hometown for a week.
It was quite tight deadline but with enough planning ( and a bit of connections), I got it in 3 days.
I will mention more once I get some free time.
I am living in USA and i need to go to India on family death matter. I have only 1 month left on my current passport & hence i want to renew in tatkaal when i am in India.
1. My assigned RPO is hyderabad. But can i attend the tatkaal interview from Delhi ?
2. My address in passport is changing. Do i need to carry original copy of aadhar or self attested copy is fine ?
3 . I am leaving from India to US in a week. If police verification comes in a week later , can my parents provide all evidence and speak to it ?
1. Your RPO is where you/your family currently live and has address proof.
2. You need original one.
3. Well, I don’t know, how it would work here…It is better to check with nearest police station on this. As written in above experience, you may need to give a written letter stating the same.
Thanks. On Aadhar card , can we download from website to get e-Aadhar and use it ? I read in many places that it is accepted
This was quite helpful.
I am travelling from Sweden to India for 1 week and had a few related questions. It would be really helpful if you could guide. Mine is a re-issue case due to upcoming expiry date and there is no change of details. (i.e no change of address)
1) From what I have read, there is No police verification needed for a re-issue without any change of applicant details.
Is this correct?
2) Is there a rule that states which Passport office I should report to when going for a re-issue?
My current passport (and permanent address) is from Chandigarh but I will be in Chennai for a while. Can I apply from Chennai then?
3) And again , regarding the present and permanent address thingy:
As per the the info from http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/ApplicationformInstructionBooklet-V3.0.pdf
a)If you have been residing at your present residential address for less than one year, you are required to furnish details of the
previous address (es) where you have resided along with the duration of residence in Column 3 of the Supplementary Form.
b)If you are on a temporary visit to India, leave Column 4.2 blank, and fill Column 5 of the Supplementary Form.
What gets printed in the address area of the passport if I do so?
It would be kind if someone has some real experience or knowledge with regards to these things .
1) Not always, it is up to the discretion of the Passport officer.
2) You should apply at your permanent address place. If there is police verification, you will need to be there.
3) We have advised to fill in abroad address in the past, but we checked with passport office recently and also checked with previous applicants and they said to fill in the permanent address of yours for both present and previous address. As Udita mentioned in above experience , she had address change and got police verification, at that time, you can share the details of abroad when they come in. Your permanent address is what gets printed on the passport.
I want to renew my passport as it is expiring this July . and I currently reside in USA. I will be visiting india for 3-4 weeks. I want to do Tatkal, however I have change of address in India. Is tatkal still possible ? So do i need to fill Annexure E ?
We applied for the renewal of my husband passport in US. It was sent to embassy on NOV 29 and there was no update after that. When we followed up with the embassy they told it was sent to passport office in India for clearance. and they do not know when it will come back..
So, do you have any idea what we can do to expedite the process.
Hello Did you get your new passport and was there any information how many days it took? Please advise if you have any information as I am in same boat now.
I am currently residing in Australia and planning for travel to India in 3 weeks for a 3 week vacation. I have less than 6 months on my passport, so will be applying for passport reissue. I am studying my Masters and living in Paying Guest accomodation, so no address proof (I have bank account proof and driving license).
My questions –
1. Should I provide the ‘Is your present address out of India’ in application form as Yes or No?
2. My address in old passport is changed, I have permanent address proof in India (Voter ID). Will there be police verification? If so, is there any actions needed from our end after we get a clear Police clearance?
Do I need to enter my overseas address in the application for present address?
Yes.. You can enter your permanent Address in India. Read What address to enter NRI Passport Renewal – India
If i am entering Us address, do I need to carry address proof for my US address ? Do i have to notorize them ?
Will the police verification still happen at my permanent address ?
hi i am live in US and goin to india to renew my passport and for re-stamping. my passport will expire in july 7th 2018 so i am applying it before. there is an option in the form regarding the
present address outside india-yes/no
permanent address same as present address-yes/no
so as i live in US i will mark present address outside india-yes
and permanent address same as present address-No
is that right kindly guide.
Dear Kumar, I am confused about Tatkal process. I am in hurry and need to renew my 4yrs old passport in Hyderabad. How long does it take if I go for Tatkal?
HI MR KUMAR
JUST A SMALL QUESTION
AS YOU HAVE SELECTED YOUR APPLICATION STATUS AS TATKAL AND YOUR EMPLYEMENT STATUS AS “OTHERS” YOU NEED TO ENTER VERIFICATION CERTIFICATE/NOC/PRIOR INTIMATION LETTER AND SO ON BEING AN NRI DO I NEED TO DO ALL OF THIS??? BEACUSE FOR THE VERIFICATION CERTIFICATE THERE ARE DETAILS REQUIED WHICH I DONT THINK SO ANY OF THE OFFICERS WOULD GIVE.
I AM FLYING TO INDIA TOMMOROW AND WOULD LIKE TO RENEW MY PASSPORT HENCE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER FOR THE SAME
My experience in renewing passport in India during my short visit.
1) Was in India for a month
2) booked online for Tatkaal process
3) But to get appointment I was not able to book Tatkaal on Thursdays and Fridays (the website simply not allow us to book on those two days)
4) So basically we have to wait to see when this Tatkaal option is available – on week ends (or like booking irctc train tickets). Not sure.
5) So I read on the website and it says if one can’t book Tatkaal date, we can go ahead with whatever regular process is available (wherever).
6) But the online only takes regular fee. The Tatkaal additional fee need to be paid in person on the center only.
7) Select Tatkaal while filling online form – for appointment if you cant book Tatkaal chose regular appointment – it will be switched to Tatkaal when going to the center since we have chosen Tatkaal option. (But the center you go should handle Tatkaal application – In Chennai only RPO handles Tatkaal process)
8) Went to the center in Chennai as per appointment (regular appointment which should be changed to Tatkal on arrival, thats what I thought)
9) Unfortunately Tatkaal option can be done only in RPO in Chennai (but i could not get Tatkaal appointment there online).
10) I was advised to go to RPO if I want Tatkaal or do normal process in the center where i went.
11) That was on Friday, so I said I will go for regular process and the reception said it will take 2 weeks.
12) While inside after handing over the documents and everything they said it would take 4 days max. I was surprised.
13) But they said police verification is there after passport issue.
14) Got printing notice on Monday.
15) Got the passport on Tuesday.
16) 10 days later got the police enquiry.
17) police get copies of all documents (ration card, Aadhar card, birth certificate, old passport copy, letter from 2 neighbors stating i live there)
For Tatkaal I was not sure what additional forms needed. The website says while selecting Tatkaal option, i need to get Annexure form which is basically from a government office or something stating that I live in that address for 3 years (CONTINUOUSLY!! which I am not because I live in abroad).
Then we need the ID number, position of that person etc. Which is near to impossible to get.
But I thought this is only needed for reissue with change of address or new passport. But I am not sure because I did not go through the Tatkaal process.
My friends in Chennai also told it is near impossible to get Tatkaal documents. I heard from my friends it takes only a week to get reissue of passport in Chennai under normal process.
But I am not sure why for reissue, with same address there is police enqiury. The website states it is up to the officer to decide.
Hope this helps.
Did you enter enter your overseas address in the application for present address?
Am living in Australia for last 2 years and planning to renew my passport during my holidays to India. When I tried lodging my application in the passport seva kendra website there is a question like is your present address out of India, if i click yes on that do I need to provide any address proof for my current overseas address or is it good to click no and give the Indian address as present address. Also, my passport was Issued from Chennai but recently we have moved to our hometown Kerala and I know I have to renew my passport with my current address from the nearest PSK, will they process my application with the newly updated aadhar address which is updated and issued hardly a month ago, as I don’t have any other address proof for the present address. Any advice on this query will be appreciated. TIA.
You may need to provide the proof, if requested, to show that you are living abroad. You will need to provide the true facts, do not try to state wrong information. It does not matter, if you just moved or not. All you need is your current address proof of where you live in India, so that, if there is verification, they can reach you.
Buddy, need your help. Working on US for 7 years visiting India for 3 months and planning to go for the reissue of passport. could you please tell me what you mentioned in the question below –
1. is your present address in India?
should I mention Indian permanent address (per my passport) or should I input of US address.. confused.
Thanks for ur help !!
You should give your current address in US where you are living in abroad.. You should give your permanent address in India. Check NRI Address India Passport article
Your answers are contradictory. In one of the comments for people residing in India you say, give out your actual abroad address and here you say give your permanent address. So which one is it ?
I meant for people residing abroad.
My apologies, I misread the comment above. In fact, you need to give your present address where you live. Sorry. I have fixed the above as well.. As mentioned above, we have checked with passport office and you can enter current permanent address in India for your present address.
Dear Sir, I am indian citizen, working in UAE. My passport have only 5 blank pages is left, my problem is, my job nature is to go around different countries, to do that, to apply business visa, while applying business visa to other europe countries, they requires minimum two opposite sites blank pages, but currently i dont have. so i want to apply or renew (i dont know, what is the exact name) new passport. i am planning to come to india during end of this august, is it possible before that, i can apply online, if yes, which website and anything for UAE residents? any condition to apply for new passpor like lessthan or equal to 5 page like that, please advise.
Usually, you should be able to apply for re-issue at the place you live in UAE. Check the local Indian High Commission or Embassy for details on how to get new passport.
I believe in India same is possible. Next week I will be in India, so within that I could not able to do here in UAE. I am preferring doing in India.
I am silent reader here ,
My husband currently working in US on H1b, few months ago he changed his employer and currently working with new employer, transfer petition is yet to approve by USCIS.
My query is , I want to go and join him with my daughter on dependant Visa and my stamping is pending , it is possible to go for stamping now with new employer , or I will have to wait for approval of transfer petition by USCIS and then opt for stamping ..
It will be great help if you give suggestions….
Thanks in advance ? have a great day
As he is in the midst of transfer, I suggest you wait for the transfer to be approved by USCIS and carry that documents for stamping.
Thanks for reply ?
My passport is about to expire and I am living in the UK but visiting Chennai. I have been in the UK for 9 years now and my parents have recently moved to a new place and hence the address is not the same as in my current passport. However except for a ration card, I do not have any other documents with the new address. What should I do?
You need a copy of your parent’s current address proof, the sole reason is that, if there were to be police verification, they could really verify. Having an address that do not correspond to you can create issues. You should call the customer service to get confirmation on the exact requirements.
I totally forgot to ask one question for which I actually started my comment.
There is a question on the form used for passport renewal about residency.
Is your present address out of India? *
Is permanent address same as present address? *
I have my Indian address (Chennai) in my old passport which is still my present address as I stay in India with my parents. But I lived in USA for 8 years now with occasional visits to India. Since I like to keep the same Chennai address shall I select
a) No for Is your present address out of India? and
b) Yes for Is permanent address same as present address?
I have a question. I am in a similar situation as Krish.
This is my case:
1. I am visiting Chennai for 40 days.
2. My passport expiring in 2 months.
3. i will leave USA with a valid passport and valid visa stamp to reenter USA
4. No changes to old passport (same india address, spouse name already entered etc)
5. can i do tatkal and my spouse is not traveling to Chennai with me
6. Is it ok as I use old passport to leave USA and use new passport to enter USA (also I have seen it is OK for valid visa in old passport, & is it also OK for flight journey as I already booked my tickets with my old passport and traveling the return journey with my new passport?)
Thanks a lot
It should be Ok. I am not sure, if you can do Tatkaal, you can check with Passport office customer service. You can call the airlines and update your new passport number. Anyways, when you travel, you will need to carry both passports. There will be a reference in the new passport with the old number, so nothing to worry.
Hi, My Passport is expired in the month of March. Now, can I renew my passport or do I need to take new passport ..?
Also can you please confirm that even with the renewal of passport, the existing Visa holds good ?
You can renew/re-issue your passport. Yes, the old visa will work as long as it is valid. Read Visa Valid in Expired Passport Enter US