This page has all details, FAQs, latest news updates that are related to the H1B Visa 2020 season that started in April 2019. Previous H1B season details are at H1B Visa FY 2019 Quota.
H1B 2020 Season is over, Check out details of current H1B 2022 season at H1B Visa 2022 – Registration, Lottery, Fee – FAQs
If this is your first time filing H1B, please read H1B Visa Basics – FAQs like Requirements, Quota, LCA, etc.
When does H1B visa 2020 Season start ? What is the start date ?
Update : USCIS announced on March 19th that they will accept H1B 2020 petitions starting from April 1st.
Based on past history, it would be Monday, April 1st, 2019. The rationale is that, USCIS starts accepting applications for the next fiscal year exactly 6 months before the start of the next fiscal year. USCIS fiscal year for 2020 year starts from 1st October 2019, which means they would accept applications for FY 2020 from April 1st, 2019. This will change for the next H1B FY 2021 Season as USCIS has published New H1B Registration Rule, where employers will register much ahead of the April 1st date and go through process to be able to file petitions on April 1st.
What is H1B visa 2020 Quota for Regular and Masters filings ?
H1B quota is listed below. There are no changes to the cap count, USCIS confirmed that in their press release in March 2018. Below are the numbers. For first timers, this quota is also called the H1B Visa Cap. You can read more at What is H1B Cap ? Regular vs Masters quota ?
- H1B Regular Quota : 65,000 visas
- H1B Master’s Quota : 20,000 visas. ( only US Masters eligible)
Also, of the overall 85,000 visa cap, every year 6,800 visas are set aside for the citizens of Singapore and Chile as part of the Free Trade Agreement with them. There were few bills part of Comprehensive Immigration Reform that are not active in Senate that were proposed from Obama administration days to change the cap count to 110,000 and Masters to 25,000, including potential to make H1B cap extend up to 180,000. But nothing has moved and all are dormant. Nothing new has been proposed by the new Trump Administration regarding changing cap count. To get a glimpse of historical cap count changes, you may check H1B visa cap count history from 1990 to 2017
H1B Lottery Predictions for FY 2020 ?
Update : USCIS announced on April 5th that they received enough petitions for Regular cap quota and there would be lottery.
We had H1B lottery for the last 6 consecutive years starting H1B FY 2014. Looking at historical trend of H1B filings, cap reach dates, it is very likely possible that we would have lottery for FY 2020 quota. We have written a detail article on this topic, read H1B Visa 2020 Lottery Predictions, Dates, Results, Analysis.
H1B Visa 2020 Lottery Date ? Results ?
If we look at the H1B lottery, we have three things, one is when the H1B petitions are accepted for the lottery, second is when the actual lottery is done and third is when the H1B lottery results for everyone are out.
- Applications Accepted for H1B Lottery : H1B visa petitions for next fiscal year would be accepted by USCIS from Monday April 1st, 2018 for 5 working days until April 5th, 2018 to be part of the H1B Visa lottery.
- H1B Visa Lottery conducted date : The actual lottery date depends on various factors depending the volume of petitions and USCIS load. It can be anywhere in second week of April. For FY 2019, H1B lottery was conducted on April 11th. Similarly, for FY 2018, the actual H1B Lottery was done on April 11th, 2017 . We can expect anywhere around the same dates like April 11th or April 13th.
- H1B 2020 Lottery Results for Everyone : This is probably the most asked question as many applicants wait in state of uncertainty. USCIS, only informs about actual results for everyone after they completed sending our receipts for accepted petitions. So, technically, you may need to wait for a long time to get the actual results, depending on if you were selected in lottery or not. For FY 2019, USCIS sent our all rejected applications on July 30th, with a timeline given until August 13th. So, you can hear your lottery results anywhere from April second week to August 13th..that’s a long waiting window !
- Update : USCIS released a press note confirming that that returned all H1B petitions that were not picked in lottery and you should get a mail by Aug 29, 2019. So, your final date for lottery result date for FY 2020 is Aug 29, 2019.
How to find H1B visa 2020 Sponsors ?
It can be very hard to find a good employer and convince them to sponsor H1B to work in US with major unknown like H1B Visa lottery. Depending on your situation, you would be in one of the three scenarios, if you are seeking a H1B Sponsor.
- F1 Student in US : You can find an internship or co-op at an employer who can sponsor H1B visa and ask them to sponsor your H1B. You can continue to work on OPT once you graduate as well. You find the list of H1B Sponsoring companies using the tool or H1B Grader – Sponsors Database
- International Professionals : If you are outside of US, it can be tricky with all the latest rules by Trump administration. Your best bet is to find an multi-national company ( MNC) and work through them to sponsor H1B visa. You may have hurdles inside the company with all the internal process, many waiting, etc. But, it is up to you to negotiate and ask them to take a chance. Many try the IT body shop route, where they ask them to file H1B. Rules have changed in the last few years and it is very risky move and can jeopardize your US hopes. Read comments on this H1B Companies Reviews article to get an idea and beware of such consulting companies to avoid fraud.
- Important Note : We, as RedBu2US, DO NOT Provide any H1B sponsorship or guide anyone using professional services or fee. If anyone approaches you by saying our name, it is pure FRAUD…beware !
If you are looking for more details, check out Guide on How to Find H1B Visa Sponsors 2020
What is H1B 2020 Filing Fee ?
H1B visa petition filing involves USCIS fee towards certain things and attorney fees, which varies by company size, and attorney involved for the case. As of FY 2019 season, it can range anywhere from $1,600 USD to $7,400 USD + Attorney Fee. In year 2016, for FY 2018, the H1B base filing fees, increased from $325 to $460. Also, premium processing fee increased from $1,225 to $1,410, effective October 1st, 2018. Below table is a high level summary from FY 2019 quota as of writing, it maybe subject to change as we approach towards the filing date. If any changes, we will update this accordingly. Also, you can Read Summary of H1B Filing Fee – Who pays for What ? .
|H1B Fee – Paid Towards||Amount in USD|
|Base filing fee||$460|
|AICWA Fee||$750 or $1,500|
|Fraud prevent & detection fee||$500|
|Fee based on Public Law 114-113 ( if applicable)||$4000|
|Premium processing fee (Optional)||$1,410 ( from Oct 1, 2018)|
|Immigration Attorney Fee||Varies from $500 to $3000|
What is New H1B Registration Rule ?
USCIS and DHS went through 9 Steps of Federal rule making process to change the H1B lottery process and published the final rule on Jan 31st, 2019. In the new registration rule, employers register their potential H1B hires during the H1B registration window in the USCIS registration system. USCIS will conduct lottery on the registrations and inform the selected registrants to file H1B petition on April 1st. In the new process, the order of H1B lottery is changed to select Regular cap quota petitions first and then Masters quota petitions. For more info, read Summary of New H1B Registration Rule
Will the New H1B Registration Rule be applicable for FY 2020 Season ?
Not fully. USCIS is suspending H1B Registration Rule for H1B FY 2020 cap season to design, implement and complete user testing of system and make sure the system is ready. USCIS will formally announce this suspension for FY 2020 on their website. So, for the upcoming H1B Visa FY 2020 season , the current process of accepting H1B Petitions for 5 business days and then conducting lottery from the received petitions will be followed. But, one change to the current process will be done, which is the order of the H1B lottery will be changed, where first regular quota petitions are selected in lottery to fulfil 65,000 petitions cap from entire pool of applications and then master quota petitions are selected in lottery order to fulfil the masters quota cap of 20,000. Read complete info at H1B Lottery Changes for FY 2020 Season
H1B 2020 Processing Timelines – Regular vs Premium ?
You would know about the H1B Lottery result for your H1B Petition filed with USCIS, if you either receive a Receipt Notice from USCIS or a Rejected Package indicating you were not picked in Lottery. The timeline for receiving receipts is different for regular vs premium processing. We have put together all the details in a detail article addressing all of these questions. Read H1B 2020 Lottery Results – Premium vs Regular Processing Timeline
H1B 2020 Case Tracker :
Did you submit or plan to submit H1B petition for FY 2020 ? In general, the wait for H1B receipts, lottery results, and processing is quite frustrating without any status until you receive something from USCIS. You would be curious to know others status…so, to have a general view on the statuses movement for entire community, we have put together a tracker along with good graphs for analysis. It is completely anonymous as we do not capture your case number or any personal information. It is community contributed data, the more you add, the better for everyone, including You !
[prompt type=”left” title=”Track your H1B Case” message=” Anonymously Track your H1B Case – Share and Get updated from Community.” button_text=”H1B 2020 Case Tracker” href=”https://redbus2us.com/trackers/h1b-visa-tracker/”]
What’s the latest news for H1B Visa 2020 Season ?
Below is the list of latest news by date related to FY 2020 season.
- Aug 15, 2019(Official ) : USCIS released a press note today indicating that they have returned all the petitions that were not selected in H1B 2020 Lottery. They say that, if you do not hear back from USCIS by Aug 29, 2019, you can reach out to them. See below screenshot. You can read the USCIS Press release
- June 7, 2019(Official ) : USCIS released a press note today indicating that they will begin premium processing for all H1B 2020 cap subject petitions starting from June 10th, 2019. Technically, now you can upgrade your H1B petition, if you have filed it as COS or Consular processing. All in all, anyone can upgrade their case to Premium processing. Check the USCIS Official Press Release
- May 17th, 2019(Official ) : USCIS announced that they have completed data entry and will start sending out the reject notices now…Also, they may transfer some cases as well to balance the load. If you see a status change, nothing to worry. Check the USCIS Official Press Release
- April 11th, 2019(Official ) : USCIS announced today evening that they have reached masters cap and also announced completion of H1B lottery for FY 2020. They received a total of 201,011 petitions. Read H1B 2020 Lottery Completed News Summary
- April 5th, 2019( Official ) : USCIS released a press note that H1B 2020 regular cap was filled. Read H1B visa 2020 Regular Cap Filled News. Check out Short Video on H1B 2020 Regular Cap Quota reached.
- April 1st, 2019( Official ) : USCIS Launched H1B Employer Data Hub as part of transparency effort to understand H1B employer’s Information on Approvals and Denials. You can check out How to use H1B Employer Data Hub,
- March 19th, 2019 ( Official ) : USCIS did a press release indicating the start of H1B season from April 1st, and gave out details on Premium Processing that it will be open only for applications filed with COS. Check out all details at H1B 2020 Starts April 1st, Premium Processing Info
- January 2019 ( Official ) : USCIS Publishes Final Rule on H1B Registration on Jan 31, 2019 and gave guidance for FY 2020 season.
- December 2018 ( Official ) : USCIS Publishes a proposed rule in Federal Register to introduce the concept of electronic pre-registrations before filing the actual full H1B petition. Currently, it is in process seeking public comments until Jan 2, 2019. Check out details at H1B Pre-Registration New Proposed Rule – Lottery, Process, Analysis.
- For FY 2020 season there is an increase in Premium processing fee. We do not even know, if USCIS will have premium processing fee for FY 2020 as they have suspended until Feb 2019 for petitions filed in April 2018 under FY 2019 quota. But, something to be aware of.
You can bookmark this page and check this page for updates on H1B FY 2020 season. Also, you can read H1B 2020 Cap Count Updates Page for up to date tracking of this year’s news and other info.
Do you have any questions on next H1B 2020 season ? Join us on WhatsApp H1B 2020 Group, Telegram, Facebook , Slack H1B 2020 and Community Forum to discuss, ask, share.