As you all USCIS started accepting H1B 2020 petitions from April 1st. USCIS just announced a press release indicating that they have reached enough number of petitions for the regular quota (i.e. 65,000 ). Let’s review the news summary by USCIS.
Summary of USCIS News – H1B 2020 Cap Reached for Bachelors :
- Regular Quota Full : USCIS announced that they have received enough number of petitions for the regular quota of 65,000 petitions filed for H1B Visa 2020 Season. Essentially, the cap is reached for all petitions, who have filed with a bachelor’s degree as the base for their petition.
- US Masters Quota : They have not indicated anything that cap is reached for US masters quota, which is 20,000. Historically, in the past few years, when they announced the news release, they would always announced both of them together indicating that cap has reached for Regular quota and Masters quota. Check out H1B 2019 Cap Reached Summary. USCIS said that they will determine if they have received enough petitions to fill the 20,000 H1B US masters quota. It could be that they are still doing initial data entry, we do not know. Because as per history and our H1B Visa 2020 Lottery Predictions, we should get a lot of Masters quota petitions, so we do not know the reason yet.
- Multiple or Duplicate Filings : They mentioned that all the unselected H1B cap petitions, will be rejected and returned, if they are not duplicate filings as indicated in USCIS recent 2018 Duplicate filings Rules .
- H1B Lottery for FY 2020 : While they have not explicitly indicated that there will be lottery, or random selection, it is kind of assumed from the word. ‘Unselected petitions’ that we could have “H1B Visa Lottery “ like in previous years and they would run lottery. In fact, this was the same statement used in H1B 2019 press release and they conducted lottery.
- Cap Exempt H1B Petitions : USCIS indicated that they will continue to accept petitions that are H1B cap exempt like below
- Previously cap counted H1B workers like for Transfers, extensions.
- Also, H1B petitions filed for change of employment terms like amendments.
- Concurrent H1B petitions filings for second H1B position.
- Check out news summary in under 2 minute video below
Anything new from this year FY 2020 Press release ?
Overall, it is a pretty standard press release like previous years, but with one major difference regarding the H1B cap reached indicating for US masters quota. As mentioned, it could be that they are still counting, that’s why they say “USCIS will determine…”. Also, pretty they not explicitly state the lottery indication, similar to last year, but it is kind of assumed based on the word “unselected” and how they have done in the past. They have also updated their H1B 2020 page indicating the same that they have reached regular cap. See below
When will we have H1B 2020 Lottery ? What is the date of actual lottery ?
As we have written in the past based on historical dates, we can expect lottery to be conducted by USCIS anywhere around April 11th to 13th. Below are the dates that they have done lottery in the previous years.
- For FY 2019, it was done on April 11th, 2018
- For FY 2018, it was done on April 11th, 2017
- For FY 2017, it was done on April 12th, 2016
- For FY 2016, it was done on April 13th, 2015.
You can read more like lottery results, basics at What to Expect from H1B 2020 Season
H1B 2020 Tracker – Crowdsourced for general Insights :
H1B Processing can be very time consuming and frustrating for many as it is like a black box and we need to keep waiting. Having some general insights will help the community. It is fully anonymous and used by many in the past 5 years. If you have filed a petition for FY 2020, please add your case and help the community.
What are your thoughts from the H1B FY 2020 USCIS Press release ?