Updated : July 8th, 2016
This page covers all the news and cap count updates for H1B FY 2017 Season ( Latest update on top)
News Updates – Official and Unofficial :
- July 8th, 2016 ( Official ) : USCIS released a press note today indicating that they have completed returning all the petitions that were not selected in the H1B lottery for FY 2017. Read More details here
- June 14th, 2016 ( Unofficial ) : USCIS has started to mail out the reject notices for FY 2017 petitions that were not picked in lottery. It says that the start date for next year H1B season is April 1, 2017. You can check out the Sample Reject Notice for FY 2017, Details
- May 2nd, 2016 ( Official ): USCIS issued an alert earlier today indicating that they have completed data entry of all the petitions. They will start to return all the petitions that were not selected in the lottery. There is no SLA mentioned by them, so everyone has to wait. They also say not to call USCIS for the same. USCIS said that they will issue a notice telling that they have returned everything once the return of all application is completed. You need to just wait for your petition details now. Check USCIS Alert Data Entry
- April 26th, 2016 (Unofficial): Many users are now posting updates as comments that they are receiving their regular processing petitions, which were filed under non-advanced degree. Also, the SEVIS updates are happening to F1 students who applied for H1B. You may check with your DSO on the SEVIS update…but, not all of them will share the details. Anyways, we still have a long way to go folks for regular processing petitions, do not give up hope, if you have not got a receipt yet…for premium processing folks, you stilll have time, but the chances are getting slim as we inch towards May 12th deadline…
- April 22nd, 2016 ( Official ) : Premium Processing Update : USCIS did an official press alert indicating that the Premium Processing for FY 2017 cap subject petitions will begin from May 12th, instead of originally announced May 16th. What it means is that the you should get H1B receipt by May 12th, if you filed under premium processing and you should have the adjudication done by May 27th. You can check alert here
- April 20th, 2016 ( Official ) : Prepaid Mailers USCIS Alert : USCIS released an alert earlier today stating that they will NOT use pre-paid mailers for two weeks after premium processing starts. They will NOT use these for about 2 weeks to avoid delays and will use standard mail to send out notices. Typically, employers can send pre-paid mailers ( postage paid by employer) in the H1B Package that can be used by USCIS to send out notices, which could be for employer tracking and speedy delivery. Now, due to resource constraints, USCIS will not have time to do that, so they are suspending using those prepaid mailers for two weeks after premium processing begins for FY 2017 season. They will resume using those mailers after the completion of the given 2 weeks. Check USCIS Alert
- April 18th, 2016 ( Unofficial ) : Many are wondering, if there are really case numbers sent out for Regular Processing Petitions. Few of our users have updated that they have received case numbers for regular processing petitions. Below is a screenshot of one of such H1B Cases status. The regular processing case numbers can come in anytime, but there is no SLA for USCIS to send them before May 16th. So, no need to worry, if you do not get it…just need to wait !
- April 14th, 2016 ( Unofficial ) : Many of the users, who filed under Advanced Degree Premium Processing are starting to get Case Receipt Numbers indicating that they are selected in lottery and case is being processed. Also, other premium processing applicants under general quota are getting receipts as well, but less volume. I have seen one user filed under Regular Processing and Regular Quota post saying that he received receipt number. All in all, receipts are being sent to many of the premium processing applicants and some of the regular processing applicants. If you have not got anything, nothing to worry or panic, still there is a long way to go…just stay calm folks. All of this update is based on our H1B Tracker and comments on the blog by many of our users.
- April 12th, 2016 (7:15 PM EST – Official ): USCIS Released a press alert indicating that they received over 236,000 petitions for FY 2017 and lottery was conducted on April 9th, 2016. Check out the screenshot below from USCIS website. Also, read Summary of Press release at News : 236,000 Petitions filed for FY 2017
- April 12th, 2016 ( 12:50 PM EST – updated ) : (Unofficial )- It is reported on blog by attorney ( immigrationgirl ) that they have received about 40 email receipts of Premium Processing. What it means is that USCIS has already conducted lottery. We will keep you posted with updates. If I am not wrong, they are just drafting the press release now. Also, few of our users in community updated their case statuses, indicating that their cases were picked in lottery and their case is in processing mode. Check H1B Tracker . Also, below is screenshot from USCIS Case Status Check page of one of the FY 2017 H1B case that was picked in lottery and in premium processing. So, it is confirmed the lottery is done !
- April 11th, 2016 : No official or unofficial update on cap number or the lottery. We are in waiting mode.
- April 8th, 2016 : There are few Indian news sites stating that there was an interview with AILA president and they are guessing of having about 250,000 petitions filed this year. This is speculation, but as it comes from the president of AILA, it carries weight. We will NOT know the official number, until lottery is done and USCIS releases the press note. They also say that most of these were filed by Indian IT Companies like TCS, IBM. Below are the News articles that state this.
- April 7th, 2016 ( Official ) : USCIS updated that H1B Cap for FY 2017 was reached today and there will be lottery. There were more than 20,000 petitions for Masters quota as well. No lottery date is announced due to high volume. You can read full details Summary of the H1B FY 2017 Cap Reached News . Below screenshot is from USCIS site.
- April 6th, 2016 : We are in waiting game…No update today either from either official or unofficial sources…
- April 5th, 2016 : As of today, No news updates either official or unofficial. We are just waiting…
- April 1st, 2016 : Official H1B 2017 season starts today. No news from USCIS or social media. If you are first time filing H1B, you should read April 1st H1B Season Starts – What to expect ?
- March 16, 2016 : USCIS released a press note telling that they will accept petitions for FY 2017 from April 1st and the premium processing clock will start from May 16, 2016. Read more at USCIS to accept H1B petitions from April 1st
Key Timeline for H1B Lottery and Results, Premium Processing :
May 16th, 2016May 12th, 2016 : ( Updated based on USCIS News on April 22nd ) USCIS Mentioned that Premium Processing will begin no later than May 12th, 2016. May 16th, 2016.Means that, if you filed your petition under premium processing, you will start to receive receipt notices, if you were selected in lottery around this date.
- H1B 2017 Lottery Date : You can expect the H1B lottery date to be in the week of April 11th, 2016. Last year, the lottery was conducted on April 13th and the year before it was April 10th.
- H1B 2017 Lottery Results : This depends on many factors and there is no hard fast date. Last year, USCIS did a news alert indicating that they have returned all the rejected petitions on July 14th. So, you can expect the last date for receiving lottery decision around mid July 2016. …depending on the number of petitions filed this year, it may be earlier or even later in July or even early August 2016…
Reference Articles related to H1B visa 2017 season :
- H1B Visa 2017 – FAQs – Quota, Sponsors, Cost, Start Date
- H1B Visa 2017 Lottery Predictions, Dates, Results
- H1B Visa 2017 Plan – Step by Step Guide
- How to find H1B Visa Sponsors ?
- How does H1B Visa Lottery Work ?
H1B Visa 2016 Cap Count updates Tracking Table:
|USCIS Update Date||Regular H1B Cap (65,000)||Advanced Degree Cap (20,000)||Analysis and Cap Count Update Article.|
|April 7th, 2016||65,000||20,000||H1B Cap Reached|
|Remaining H1B Cap||0||0|