Well folks, many of our readers had intense discussions on our H1B Visa 2017 page regarding the H1B lottery and the cap numbers…to start with, for all those who said there will not be H1B lottery, the cat is out of the bag, USCIS just confirmed that they received more petitions and will have random selection aka lottery for FY 2017. Below is a quick summary of the official press release from USCIS earlier today.
Summary of H1B 2017 Cap Reached News from USCIS
- Congressionally mandated H1B visa cap for FY 2017 reached as USCIS received enough number of petitions for this fiscal year 2017.
- USCIS has also received more than 20,000 petitions for the master’s cap.
- H1B 2017 Lottery Details :
- As there were more petitions received by USCIS than required for the H1B cap, USCIS will conduct a random selection process, aka popularly called as H1B lottery, to pick the necessary cap count of 65,000 petitions for regular quota and 20,000 for master’s quota to fulfill the FY 2017 cap.
- Lottery will be conducted for US Master’s students quota first and then the unselected petitions will be part of the general group to conduct lottery for the selecting the remaining 65,000 petitions. You can read How does H1B visa Lottery work
- All the unselected petitions, which are not duplicate will be rejected and return along with the filing fees
- USCIS will consider all the H1B petitions received during the 5 day filing window from April 1st through April 7th for conducting this lottery.
- H1B Lottery Date: As there were lot of H1B petitions filed, USCIS at the moment cannot really announce the date of H1B Lottery, as they need to do the initial paperwork for all the petitions so that the lottery can be conducted for the petitions received properly.
- H1B Cap Exempt Petitions :
- USCIS will NOT include the cap-exempt petitions, aka who already have filed earlier and counted towards H1B cap, in the lottery selection process.
- USCIS will continue to accept all the cap-exempt petitions that are filed with USCIS that fall under the below categories
- H1B transfers, H1B extensions
- H1B petitions for changes in employment terms
- Second H1B petition to work concurrently for those who have been part of cap.
Fun fact: The official press release is exactly same as previous years, no different than previous years where H1B lottery was reached. Just few more lines were added to the end of the press release describing what H1B program is all about… You can read H1B 2016 Cap Reached News Summary
Now, couple of burning questions are, when will we have lottery and results dates. You can read all this info at page H1B 2017 Updates : Key Timelines Lottery Dates
Other question is around how many petitions can we expect to be in lottery ? For this read our H1B 2017 Predictions
What are your thoughts ? What is your guess ?
Did you Apply for FY 2017 ?
Track your H1B Case Anonymously - Share and Get updated from Community !Click to Add Details at H1B 2017 Tracker .
Official Source – USCIS Tweet with URL: