As many of you know, USCIS has changed their H1B submission process for the fiscal year 2021 with New H1B Registration Process. As part of that they had the H1B registration open for 20 days from March 1st to March 20th, 2020. Employers used Online H1B Registration Tool to submit H1B registrations for their employees that they plan to sponsor H1B Visa to work from October 1st, 2020. Since, the H1B registration period closed, many are waiting for the update from USCIS. Today as part of the H1B 2021 process next steps, USCIS today announced that they have completed selection process, also called as H1B Visa Lottery , we will cover the details of the news release from USCIS in this article.
If you are new to H1B Visa process, read H1 Visa 2021 – Registration, Fee, Lottery, FAQs
Update : on April 1st, USCIS announced that Total 275,000 H1B Applications(registrations) were received by USCIS.
News Summary: H1B initial Electronic Registration Process Completed
- Enough Electronic H1B Registrations : USCIS confirmed that they have received enough H1B registrations in their online registration system during the initial registration period that was open between March 1st and March 20th.
- H1B Lottery Selection Completed: They indicated that the initial random selection process, called as H1B Visa lottery, process is completed for all the properly submitted registrations.
- H1B Selected Notifications Status Change, Date : USCIS will inform/ notify the petitioners or employers with selected registrations no later than March 31st. It can be even earlier. Some reported they already got results. Check below statuses info. There are three statuses that you can see as listed below and the meaning of the same.
- Submitted : If your status continues to say Submitted, it means that your registration, after the initial selection process or lottery, it is still under consideration for selection or lottery until the end of the fiscal year 2021. There may be another run for lottery in future, depending on how many petitions USICIS receives. Once the fiscal year closes, then the status will be “Selected”, “Not Selected” or “Denied”
- Selected : If your status shows, “Selected”, it means that you are selected in H1B Lottery for the initial run and you can file H1B 2021 Cap subject full petition starting from April 1st, 2021. This is your ticket to file H1B for FY 2021 season. Below is the sample H1B Registration status shared by one of our users ( anonymous), thanks a lot to the user for sharing ! If user clicks on the View notice, they will see the notice of selection. You can check Sample H1B Registration Notice for FY 2021 on how it looks.
- Denied : You would see the status as “Denied”, if there was duplicate registration submitted for the same beneficiary or payment method was declined or not reconciled. If this status shows up, it means that your registration is not valid for the fiscal year 2021 and you can say that the applicant cannot file for FY 2021 season. This is a clear NOT selected equivalent status.
- Can only file, if status “Selected” : USCIS clearly tells that you can only file, if your status shows as selected. You need to attach the receipt notice and send it along with the H1B package that you send.
You can watch the below video that covers the details on the USCIS news release.
Did you submit H1B Registration for FY 2021 ? In general, the registration process is new and also during H1B application processing, the wait can be long and frustrating to see your status not move….Add your case to tracker
As USCIS has not shared any numbers yet, we have created anonymous pool for users to know overall results. It has two radio buttons, 10 second survey, it is Anonymous. Need to login to avoid spam/double responses.
What was not covered in the press alert by USCIS ?
- No indication of Total H1B Registrations : In the past, USCIS would indicate how many petitions were filed, like received 201,011 H1B Petitions for FY 2020 Season. In the current press release, they do not indicate any of that. We do not know the numbers.
- Masters vs Regular Cap: They do not talk about any of the Masters vs Regular cap reached with registration. It is a blanket statement saying that registration is completed.
- End date for Not Selected: They have not given any indication of the date on when the statuses for all the registration would be changing to “Not Selected”. This was one of the pain points for people to keep waiting until late July or August. Now, this year also, it seems that they are not going to tell that until some date, which we do not know…
Overall, there are some outstanding questions that we are not clear on. But, one thing is clear, Lottery process is done, some users should see their status change to Selected.
What is your take on the H1B Registration process Results ?
reference : USCIS Press release