Home » Visas » USA » Apply US Visa » How many times can I reschedule my US Visa Appointment? India?

How many times can I reschedule my US Visa Appointment? India?

US Consulates and US Embassies provide the US Visa stamping services for anyone seeking a US Visa. As part of the process to apply for US Visa, one need to book an appointment for the same at these locations.  Depending on the country and demand for getting a US Visa, there can be wait times for getting US visa appointments. To avoid long wait times and abuse of appointment system, the US consulates limit the number of times someone can use the visa appointment fee for scheduling or changing appointments. In this article we will outline what does US visa appointment reschedule mean, how it varies by country, how many times you can do the same with guidance on the same from official sources and communication with visa appointment system support team.

What is rescheduling or changing US Visa Appointment?

If for some reason, you cannot attend your US Visa appointment, either in-person visa interview with consular officer or for giving Biometrics, the visa appointment booking system provides an option to change the appointment date and time. This option to modify or change the visa appointment times is called the rescheduling option or change of appointments option.  This change of appointment can be done for the in-person interview at US Consulate, for biometrics given at Visa Application Center (VAC) or for both.

How to reschedule or change US Visa appointment? Confirmation ?

The appointment booking system at USTravelDocs.com that points to CGI Federal website provides the option to reschedule/ change or cancel the existing appointment. You can use the reschedule option for OFC Appointment that is for Biometrics collection and Visa interview appointment at Consulate.   Let’s look at how it works.

If you are scheduling appointment for the first time, you would see only option that says “New Application / Schedule Appointment” as in below screenshot on the left-hand side navigation. After you do this step, then you will see the re-schedule option.

New Appointment - Schedule Appointment Screen
New Appointment – Schedule Appointment Screen

Once you book the appointment and want to reschedule or change the same, you will have the option to reschedule, cancel or even request for emergency appointment. To reschedule, you should click on the option in left hand navigation that says “Reschedule Appointment”. Also, it will clearly tell on this screen about your current appointment, when it is schedule on the screen saying “Your current appointment is scheduled for …”  Also, you would see on the top where it says, if it if for biometrics at OFC or for visa interview. See below screenshot that shows the same.

Reschedule US Visa Appointment - Booking Screen
Reschedule US Visa Appointment – Booking Screen

After you reschedule the appointment and it is successful, you would get a confirmation message that says “Your Appointment has been rescheduled”. See below screenshot on how it looks.

Appointment Rescheduled Confirmation
Appointment Rescheduled Confirmation

You can also see the history of your US Visa appointment reschedules that you have done by clicking on the “Appointment History” in the left navigation, it will show you the complete list of your previous and current appointments with Appointment Date, Applicant Name, Consulate/ Post location, Visa Type and Status. See below screenshot on how it looks.

US Visa Appointment Rescheduling History
US Visa Appointment Rescheduling History

How many times can I change my US Visa appointment?

The number of times you can change or reschedule the US Visa appointment totally varies by country. Depending on the staff, wait times of appointments, you can re-schedule the visa appointments in the online system anywhere from 2 to 6 times. The US Consulates or US Embassy in that particular country define how many times you can schedule an appointment with a Visa application fee receipt (MRV fee receipt). We will look at number of times for some of the common countries like India, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, others.

How many times can I reschedule my US Visa appointment in India?

You can apply for US Visa appointment in India at 4 US consulates ( Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Kolkata) and 1 US embassy (New Delhi). The appointment booking system is managed by USTravelDocs and CGI Federal website.  The USTravelDocs.com India Appointments scheduling page, does not tell the exact number of times, you can schedule or reschedule your US Visa appointment. All it tells is you have limited number of times you can reschedule. See below screenshot.

Scheduling your appointment US Visas India
Scheduling your appointment US Visas India

As the number of times, you can schedule or reschedule is not available for public, one of our blog readers (anonymous – thanks to the user) reached out the USTravelDocs CGI Federal customer service to enquire the same. As per them, in India, using the MRV Fee receipt (Visa fee receipt), you can schedule visa appointment for 5 times.  This 5 times, include the initial appointment scheduling. What it means is that you can re-schedule or change the appointment for 4 times after your initial appointment.  See below screenshot of the exact email inquiry and the response from them.

US Visa Reschedule Appointments Count 5 times India Confirmation
US Visa Reschedule Appointments Count 5 times India Confirmation
US Visa Stamping Receipt Valid 5 times - 4 reschedules - Customer Service Response - 2022
US Visa Stamping Receipt Valid 5 times – 4 reschedules – Customer Service Response – 2022

Many of our users in social media groups confirmed the same that we can re-schedule or change appointment only 4 times after the initial setup.  If you want to confirm again, you can also reach out to US Consulates in India using their email, phone for double confirmation.

One more thing, the system would tell you, if you cannot reschedule anymore. Let’s look at that now.

What happens if US Consulate Cancels appointment ? Do I lose a chance ?

If the US Consulate or Embassy cancels the appointment for whatever reason it may be, they will waive off the scheduling chance for the cancellation. Meaning, they will not count the reschedule you did after cancellation towards the total count of reschedule options. Below is the screenshot of the confirmation from the USTravelDocs customer service on the same that says they will waive off that chance.

US Visa Stamping Reschedule waived if cancelled by consulate
US Visa Stamping Reschedule chance waived if cancelled by Consulate

How would I know, if I have used all my chances for appointment re-scheduling  ?

The system will give a message saying that you have used up all your chances to re-schedule. This way you would know that you cannot re-schedule anymore with your current MRV fee receipt. You will see a message that says “If you cancel this appointment, then you will have exceeded the limit of appointments canceled, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee is paid”.   It looks like in below screenshot.

If you cancel this appointment - exceeded limit of appointments confirmation
If you cancel this appointment – exceeded limit of appointments confirmation

Update: From mid-2022, some users have reported that the message “If you cancel this appointment, then you will have ….” is misleading and there seems to be one more attempt left for you after you see this message. This is not clear and you should check with UStravelDocs Support before you cancel your appointment. Below is the most recent response from support

How many times can you reschedule appointment - USTravelDocs - CGI Federal Support Response
How many times can you reschedule appointment – USTravelDocs – CGI Federal Support Response

How many times can I reschedule my US Visa appointment in Other Countries ?

Philippines : The demand for US Visa appointments is much higher and there are fewer locations in Philippines. So, US Embassy in Manila has restricted the total appointments you can schedule to 3 times with one visa fee payment receipt (MRV Visa Fee receipt). You can schedule the initial appointment once and then you are given option to reschedule the appointment for two times. If you cancel your second rescheduling appointment, you will be asked to wait for 90 days. Below is the screenshot of official guidance from USTravelDocs Philippines Website

US Visa appointment reschedule in Philippines how many times
US Visa appointment reschedule in Philippines how many times

Japan : In Japan, you can reschedule your US Visa appointment up to 6 times. If you exceed the 6 times, then you need to pay new MRV fee. Check below screenshot from USTravelDocs.com website of Japan.

Japan reschedule US Visa Appointment - how many times
Japan reschedule US Visa Appointment – how many times

Thailand : In Thailand, you can reschedule your US Visa appointment for a maximum of 3 times. If you exceed the 3 times, then you need to pay new MRV fee. Check below screenshot from USTravelDocs.com website of Thailand.

Thailand reschedule US Visa Appointment - how many times
Thailand reschedule US Visa Appointment – how many times

Every country has different rules and the number of times you can re-schedule your US Visa appointment varies. So, you must reach out to the US Consulate or USTravelDocs CGI federal support team to get the correct answer.

What was your experience re-scheduling your appointment in your country ? Add your comments, thoughts in comments.

My first H1 is stamped in 2015 & expired in 2016.This is my first time traveling along with 3 H4 and my current visa is valid till next year. Is this a reason for not being eligible for IW?

2. Hello, my visa interview dates for F 4 cstegory is on 19th may,can I reschedule my visa interview dates now for the later dates of July?

3. Is it possible to cancel B2 visa appointment and reuse the MRV fee for new H1B appointment in India?
    Does submitting DS160, fee and appointment of B2 mean Consulate/USCIS has started the process and my record with uscis will include this?

• Hey Kumar,

Sorry, i think I might have mis-quoted my question. What I’m trying to ask is even though I’m eligible for dropbox, can i still book an interview appointment by answering one of the questions(that determine dropbox eligibility) incorrectly? Thanks!

• Sanket,
          No, you should not. That is saying false information and you can be denied visa as you did not tell the truth.

I want to reschedule my visa appointment (both OFC and VAC). But when I go for rescheduling, it shows only for VAC.
    If I reschedule VAC appointment, will the system automatically reschedule OFC appointment as well?

• Kishore,
      VAC and OFC both are same. Did you mean Biometrics and Visa Interview ? If so, you can do that, only if the slots are available, if not, it will not be successful.

5. there is discrepancy under the section in the article above:

This means , if you cancel, its gone with the current MRC receipt, but you can still reschedule 1 more time (final reschedule). I verified with the customer service agent.

• Anika,
      The number of times you rescheduled before is what matters. In total, you get 5 times, including the first time booking.

• Correct. I can verify this as I had one more chance to reschedule after I got that message. It’s very deceiving and because of that the information provided in this page is incorrect.

• Selvaram,
        Interesting. In general, when you see the message, your chances are done as per the system. Also, it is validated by support and many of our users validated it. Not sure about why you had the extra one more time, it could have been a bug. If you are in doubt, you should contact the customer service I guess.

6. I tried to reschedule first time I cannot do it. Mumba in oct 2022 original but Kolkata slot is available in jun 16 , when I try to book it for ofc and continue, it shows mumbai no slot. why is it not letting my book Kolkata appointment. I have not rescheduled even single time.
    Please help

7. Hello, I had taken help from an agent to reschedule my appointment. He booked it for the wrong date and now all I see is a “group scheduling request” and not the reschedule appointment option. I have already once canceled before and rescheduled 4 times

Can I do this one final time?

• Anisha,
      If you see the message on the top as in above article, you cannot do re-scheduling, you will lose the receipt and need to pay again. If you are in doubt, call the customer service.

I have paid my visa fees and i can see the receipt number as well now. When i move next, it shows me to Schedule OFC appointment. I had few clarifications regarding the same –
    1. Once selected and confirmed the slot, can i change the OFC appointment? If yes, how many times?
    2. After the OFC slot selection, will there be another option to select the slot for visa appointment or is it the same as OFC appointment?

9. I only rescheduled two times (1 original + 2 rescheduled) but when I try to reschedule again it gives me an error saying “you are approaching the maximum number of times you may view this page. Please complete your transaction at this time.” Does this mean I cannot reschedule more with this receipt or do I just need to wait for a few days?

• Its means you can made enough views before your account gets locked out. Logout and wait for some time, I would say 4 to 6 hours and log back in and retry.This is what happened to me .
      1.Initial schedule.
      2.Reschule the initial schedule.
      3.Cancel the reschedule.
      4.New schedule.
      5.Acidentally cancelled the schedule.
      6.Got new schedule again for April 20th .

Now it shows me that I have reached the limit and I will need to pay MRV fee if I make any changes to the schedule. I am posting this for others benefit . It tehcnically allows 2 cancellations and 2 reschedules.

Hope this helps.

Shyam

• Kumar,
          According to what Shyam mentioned he have done totally 4 times including the first schedule, so after the warning msg still we got one last chance to reschedule right?

• actually we have scheduled for H4 appointment at chennai first and rescheduled to Hyderabad on May. But not we want to schedule in June at chennai. now how to do it. whether to cancel and new schedule or directly reschedule. regards lalitha

• I booked my OFC slot and interview slots, but unfortunately, for some reason I had to cancel them. Now can I reschedule my both OFC and interview appointment for next dates or do I need to pay visa fee again for the appointment.

10. I have currently exceeded the limit of appointments canceled with my current MRV fee receipt. Does anyone know how I can pay MRV fee again and update the receipt in my profile so that I will be able to reschedule again?

I have booked the appointment for Oct 2022 but want earlier slots, so can I can book an earlier date for OFC and VAC.

If not can I cancel or reschedule with the same MRV fees?

I received the message from the screenshot (If you cancel this appointment, you will have exceeded…) in India even though I have used the MRV fee only 4 times up to now (original scheduled appointment plus 3 reschedules). So this means that once you get this message you still have one attempt remaining, right? Has anyone attempted to reschedule after getting this mesage?

• Hello Amit

Mine also facing same problem it is showing same like in screenshot i rescheduled 3 times with one initial appointment. Am i able to reschedule the appointment one more time?

• Salla, Amit,
        If you are getting the message, you might lose the receipt validity, if you try to reschedule. The best thing to do is reach out to consulate / us travel docs support for the same. You can check the history to see exactly how many times you have rescheduled.