The US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs changed the appointment booking system for India on July 29th, 2023, from the ustraveldocs.com portal to a new website, usvisascheduling.com. If you want to apply for a US Visa appointment in India or already have an account in the old system, you must now use the new website at usvisascheduling.com going forward. You cannot use the old USTravelDocs portal anymore. There is a lot of confusion among many on how the new system works and how to create an account.
In this article, we give you a step-by-step guide with screenshots on how to sign up for an account and what to expect, what questions they ask during the sign-up process, how to migrate your account from the old to the new system, common issues, and FAQs around the same. We continue to update this page as we have updates with the system or process.
Background: Change in Appointment Booking System for India
On July 29th, 2023, the US Embassy updated that they are changing the appointment booking system from www.portal.ustraveldocs.com to www.usvisascheduling.com. This is a big change as the old system will not work anymore.
All users who have booked appointments using the old system have to use the new appointment booking system and migrate their accounts to the new system. If you are a new user planning to apply for a US visa appointment, you must register for a new account at the new website.
We will look at two scenarios in the below sections:
- New Users without any account in the old USTravelDocs System: Signup process for a first-time user who never had an account in the old system and is directly using the new system at usvisascheduling.com to book a US Visa appointment.
- Existing Users in USTravelDocs System, moving to USVisaScheduling.com : Signup process for existing users who are migrating their accounts from portal.ustraveldocs.com to usvisascheduling.com and want to book an appointment or use their existing appointment.
Depending on your situation, you may go to the relevant section below.
Guide to New Users without any account in USTravelDocs System
The process to create an account in the new US Visa Appointment booking system is very straight forward. Below is the step-by-step guide for the same.
Step 1 – Navigate to the new website USVisaScheduling.com
You need to navigate to the new website at https://www.usvisascheduling.com/en-US/
When you go to the URL www.usvisascheduling.com in the browser you will be taken to a URL that looks like “https://atlasauth.b2clogin.com/xxxx...” This is normal, and nothing to worry that it is spam redirect. This new redirection and login at atlasauth.b2clogin.com is the new authentication system that they are using, which is from Microsoft. The b2clogin.com is from Microsoft, and not to worry. It looks like in the below screenshot.
Step 2 – Sign up for a New Account
As the old system at www.Portal.USTravelDocs.com is not available anymore, you must sign up for a new account at the new system available at www.USVisaScheduling.com. For that, you must click on the Sign up now link in blue color on the right hand side of the page. See below screenshot on how it looks.
Step 3 – Enter a User name, Verify Email
You need to choose a username, set a password, and validate the email.
- Username: The new system requires you to enter a user name for future logins. You can choose a user name of your choice or simply remove the domain name details from your email. For example, let’s say you are using email “firstname.lastname@example.org”, you can just use a username from the email like “abc.xyz”.
- Password: You need to enter a password of your choice in the password fields that meets standards set by the system and then you need to re-enter the same
- Email Address Validation: You need to enter your personal or work email that you plan to use for account creation, and appointment booking and click on the “Send Verification Code” button. See the below screenshot on how it looks.
- You will get an email from the sender that says “Microsoft on behalf of US Visa Processing“. It will be from a Microsoftonline.com domain, do not be confused, it is the right sender and the right email. The email will have a code code. You will need to take this code and enter it in the USVisaScheduling.com website where you see an option to enter the code. It looks like in the below screenshot.
- Enter the code from the email in the “Verification Code” box on the USVisaScheduling.com website as shown in below screenshot and click on the “Verify Code” button. If the code is correct, the system will verify your email and say “Email address verified” above the email id as shown in the screenshot below.
- If you did not get an email, check your spam folder first or click on “Send New Code” button to get a new code.
Step 4 – Enter Name, Answer Security Questions
In this final step, you will be asked to enter your given name and surname and answer three security questions. You need to enter these details.
The security questions you select and answer are important as you will be asked to enter those details every time you try to log in. So, choose the ones that you remember and take a note of them.
You will get the below security questions on USVisaScheduling.com in three different dropdowns as shown in the below screenshot.
Security Question 1 Options:
- What is your mother’s maiden name?
- What was the name of your first/current/favorite pet?
- What was your first car?
- What elementary school did you attend?
- What is the name of the town/city where you were born?
Security Question 2 Options:
- What is the name of the road/street you grew up on?
- What is your least favorite food?
- What was the first company that you worked for?
- What is your favorite food?
- What high school did you attend?
Security Question 3 Options:
- Where di you meet your spouse?
- What is your sibling’s middle name?
- Who was your childhood hero?
- In what city or town was your first job?
- What is the name of a college you applied to but didn’t attend?
Step 5 – Account Created, Sign-in
After you enter all the security questions, your name, verify all the details once like user name, email and click on “Create” button at the bottom. You will be redirected to the home page, where you will need to enter the username and password, enter the Captcha Text and click on Signin button. It look like in the below screenshot.
You will be asked to enter the answers for the security questions that you selected in the account creation step. You need to enter them and hit continue button. It looks like in the below screenshot.
Step 7 – Update your profile info – select country, language
You will be taken to a new screen, where you need to update your contact email, select the country and language. If you want to use another email, you can use that here under contact email. You need to update/select these details and click on submit button. It looks like in the below screenshot.
Selection of Country, the preferred language is very simple, click on the search icon at the text box to select the country and language. Currently, you only see India and English here. In future, you may see more countries. This new system is only rolled out to India at the moment, that’s why you see only one option in both of these places. See the below screenshot on how it looks.
Step 8 – Dashboard screen to Start new Application
Once you complete the profile details and hit the submit button, you will be taken to the main dashboard screen, where you can click on Start New Application to create a new Visa Appointment booking application. See the below screenshot on how it looks.
The process to create a US visa application to book an appointment can vary by visa type and the questionnaire can be different, so we will create separate guides for the same like H1B Visa Dropbox Step by Step Guide.
Guide to Existing Users moving from USTravelDocs.com to USVisaScheduling.com
Even though you had an account in the past at portal.ustraveldocs.com, you must sign-up for a new account at the new website USVisaSchedling.com. They have made this mandatory requirement as there are new ways to authenticate your account and new security questions are added for the same.
The steps to migrate your account from the old USTravelDocs Portal are pretty much the same as the steps to signup for a new account. You can refer to the above section of creating a new account. Below are the main differences in each of the steps.
Step 1 – Navigate to the new website USVisaScheduling.com
You need to navigate to the new website at https://www.usvisascheduling.com/en-US/ . This is same as for a new user. Check the Step 1 of the above section of creating an account as a new user for more details on the screenshot and how it works.
Step 2 – Sign up for a New Account to migrate from old system.
Same as Step 2 of the above section of creation of new account.
Step 3 – Use your Existing email id from USTravelDocs.com for new account
This is also the same as if you are creating a new account, but the main difference is you need to use the same email address that you used in the previous portal.ustraveldocs.com for your account to migrate from the old system to new system. You may create the user id based on your email itself by removing the text after “@” system in your email.
- Email Address Validation: You need to enter the same email that you used in the old USTravelDocs.com system and click on “Send Verification Code” button. See the below screenshot on how it looks.
You will need to validate your email and follow the same steps as like a new user account. Check the step 3 of the above section of creation of account as a new user for screenshots and more info.
All these steps are same steps like new account creation. Check the step 4, step 5, step 6 of the above section of the creation of a new account as a new user for screenshots and more info.
Step 7 – View & Verify your old account details
Once you agree and continue, you will see the dashboard screen of USVisaScheduling like in the below screenshot with all your details in place. Verify the visa type, you fee payment, etc. You can click on the buttons that say “Schedule appointment”, “Manage Applications”, etc. depending on your situation and perform respective actions.
If there are any issues with your account or something is not right, you should email the support team at email@example.com
Official Instructions: Email from USVisaScheduling Support for Migrating Accounts
Below are the official instructions that are sent as an autoreply to anyone having issues with the new account. If you read them, it clearly tells that you need to sign up for a new account, if you are signing up for the first time.
Thank you for writing to the U.S. visa service desk. We have received your email and will respond accordingly within 1 to 2 business days.
Please note, if you are signing in for the first time refer to the instructions mentioned below:
1. Go to http://www.usvisascheduling.com/
2. Click on “Sign up now”
3. Enter Username, setup the Password and Email Address, and click on “Send Verification Code”
4. Enter Verification Code received on email ID
5. Click on “Verify Code” and set the security questions
6. Click on “Create”
Below is the screenshot of the actual email sent from USVisaScheduling Support.
Yes, it is the official website and it is legit. www.USVisaScheduling.com is the new website starting from end of July 2023 to book appointment in India. For other countries, it is still USTravelDocs.com, only India is using this website at the moment.
The redirection is not spam, it is legit. The redirection to https://atlasauth.b2clogin.com/xxxx is part of the authentication mechanism implemented based on Microsoft technologies and the domain is owned by Microsoft. So, nothing to worry.
You should email firstname.lastname@example.org for any issues.
How was your experience creating a new account? Share your experiences, feedback, or issues in the comments section below.