Applying for a new passport used to be a complicated process. Things have changed significantly in the last few years and it is fully online today. There are some key things to know, besides the information on the official website. Thanks to Deepak from Sudeep International Travels, Nagpur (+91-712-2420855, +91-712-2423092) for taking time to write this article sharing his insights.
Information on Apply and Get Fresh Passport in India
2. Procedure & requirements are given in the website. The scrutiny, acceptance of Passport application forms is now handled by TCS and centers are known as Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). However, police enquiry and granting of Passport is under the control of Indian Government as before but printing & dispatch is again done by TCS under the control of Passport office.
3. One needs to fill the application online, pay fees (Rs. 1500 for Adult, Rs. 1000 for under 18 years) & then take the appointment for submission in PSK. From the time of filling the form it takes about 3 weeks to get the appointment for submission of application. From that time subject to police enquiry, it can take further about 6 to 8 weeks to get the Passport. This time can vary from one place to another.
4. No need to carry passport sized photographs. Fingerprinting and photos are taken at PSK at the time of submission of Application.
5. Only Children under 4 years need to carry photos (4.5 x 3.5 cm )
6. Minors below 6 years age, can go to PSK and submit the application without appointment. Others, including ‘Tatkal’ cases need appointment for submission of application.
7. Any service except “Police Clearance Certificate” needs Fresh Passport application. Thus change in Address, Deleting ‘Emigration Check Required’ stamp etc. means Fresh Passport. Renewal of Passport, change in name from Maiden to Married Name, Endorsing Husband’s/ wife’s name also mean Fresh Passport.
8. In case of minor, it is necessary to show the passports of both parents. Passport for child in India while father is abroad – is a usual problematic case. In such cases, Indian consulate abroad acts as a Passport office. Father should show his passport in consulate and obtain a letter from Indian Consulate. (Standard Format of such letter is with consulate) and send it to mother in India. Mother can then apply & get Passport for child.
New Tatkal Passport Requirements
There is a common misconception that one can get ‘Tatkal’ Passport in one week by paying extra Fees to Government. This is NOT true.
1. The Requirements for Tatkal Passport are stringent and not easy to meet. There are two ways to go about this. One needs a Verification Certificate as per Annexure F in duplicate from competent Authority. Persons who are working with Government and are of the rank of I.A.S. / I.P.S. are authorized to give such certificate, if they vouch that they know the applicant and certify his character, residence etc. Additionally, General Manager of a Public Sector Undertaking, Sub Divisional Magistrates or Tahsildars of rural areas are also authorized. Certifying authority must give this certificate in Duplicate on official letterhead along with photo copy of his Identity card issued by Government. There are a few other minor requirements as well.
2. Second practical way to get passport little faster is to get the police enquiry done fast after submission of application. One can do it himself or through a competent travel agent.
You may also read article Indian Passport Renewal or Re-issue Process
What has been your experience applying for new passport?
Any key things to share regarding applying for new passport in India ?