If you live in US and apply for H4 Visa extension to extend your stay in US or applying for Change of Status (COS) to H-4 Visa, you file form I-539 with USCIS. As they process your H4 application package, first you will get a H4 Case Receipt Notice and after that you will also get a H4 Biometrics Appointment notice . After you complete giving Biometrics, ASC will put a stamp indicating the completion. After this process is done, USCIS will adjudicate your petition and finally approve your H4 Application. USCIS mails out the two kinds of notices, one is the official H4 Approval Notice with I-94 attached to it and there is a courtesy copy, if you had attorney file for you. The official one looks like below and you need to verify all the details are correct, so that there are no issues. If you are working with an attorney, then you will get H4 Approval Notice – I797C – Courtesy Copy
Sample H4 Visa Extension / Change Approval Notice with I-94 – I797A from USCIS
Below is the sample approval notice of H4 Extension / COS, under the sample the details of various fields and what they mean are explained.
- Receipt Number : This is the actual H4 extension or change of status (COS) receipt number, that your application is tied it. It would be same as the number in the receipt notice.
- Case Type : This indicates the type of application and form that the Approval notice is tied to. In the context of H4 Extension or Change of Status, it should be “I-539, APPLICATION TO EXTEND / CHANGE NONIMMIGRANT STATUS”
- Received Date : This is the date when USCIS actually received your H4 application package. Usually, this is the date when they signed and received your package from mail and official date of receipt of your application package.
- Notice Date : This is the date when the H4 Approval Notice was generated by USCIS system
- Priority Date : This will be usually blank for H4 applications.
- Applicant : This will be the name of the actual H4 Applicant, who filed the extension or change of status. You need to ensure the spelling and everything is correct here.
- Beneficiary : This filed will also have the H4 applicant name
- Page : if the receipt notice is more than page, you will see 1 of 2 on first page. In H4 receipt context, it will be 1 of 1 as the receipt notice is only one page.
- Name and Mailing Address : Below these fields, you will see a box with Name and address of the applicant
- Notice Type : It will say “Approval Notice” as it the official approval notice.
- Class : It will say “H4”, as the approval notice is for H4 visa.
- Valid From and To : This will be the dates that H4 visa is valid for the applicant. It will usually be same as the H1B approval start and end date.
- USCIS Office Address, Customer Service Number : You will see the office address that has processed your H4 application and details of bar code.
- I-94 Slips attached : There will be two parts attached to the below of the approval. The one on the left hand side is for personal records. The one on the right is the official I-94 Card, you need to hand it over at Exit airport, when you leave the country.
- I-94 Card ( right hand side portion): You will have the I-94 Number on the top of it, then you will see Receipt Number of your case, and then details of the applicant with Family name and First Name, Date of Birth and Country of Citizenship. This is your official I-94 card that indicates your valid lawful status in US.
- I-94 Details Slip ( left hand side portion) : This is not your I-94, but rather details of the I-94 that can be for your personal records.