Everyone who has applied for H1B registration for FY 2024 season has been waiting patiently if there would be a second-round lottery for the FY 2024 season or not. On July 27th, 2023, USCIS announced they plan to conduct a second round lottery.
In this article, we will cover all the latest news (official & unofficial), including our analysis and updates related to the same, including how many we expect USCIS may select in the second round H1B lottery. We will continue to update this article as we have more updates.
Background: H1B 2024 Season – First Round Lottery Results
USCIS conducted the first round lottery for H1B Visa 2024 season around March 24th and updated everyone that the initial selection results were notified to everyone by March 27th, 2023. This year, they received the highest number of H1B registrations, and USCIS updated that data on April 28th.
For H1B FY 2024 season, USCIS received a whopping 781,000 H1B registrations. Below is the summary of the registrations and selections for everyone’s background:
- Total H1B Registrations Submitted: 780,884 (approximately 781K)
- Total Eligible H1B Registrations: 758,994 (approximately 757K).
- Duplicate Registrations, Failed Payments, etc.: 21,890 (780,884 -758,994)
- One Employer Only H1B Applicants: 350,103(approximately 350K). This means that all these 350,103 applicants filed H1B registration with only one employer and had only one H1B job offer.
- Multiple Employers Filed H1B Applicants: 408,891(approximately 409K). This means all these 408,891 applicants filed H1B registrations with more than one H1B employer as they had multiple H1B offers.
- Selected H1B Registrations: 110,791. They have picked about 25,791 (110,791-85,000) more H1B registrations than the actual H1B Cap quota to account for denials, non-filings, etc.
Why H1B 2024 Second Round Lottery?
The reason for a second round H1B Visa Lottery, could be for two reasons: one is the employers not filing petitions due to the concern of getting caught due to fraud, and the second is the state of US economy and job market for IT workers.
One of the biggest concerns from the above H1B FY 2024 first-round selection data is the number of applicants who filed registrations with multiple employers saying they have more than one job offer. It is a crazy number, with 409K applicants who filed multiple registrations with more than one H1B sponsor.
USCIS indicated in some of their discussions they would take severe actions against anyone who tried to game the H1B Lottery system. Based on their indication, it is rumored that many employers who had H1B registrations selected( with multiple registrations filed) did not file the H1B petition during the filing window between April 1st and June 30th.
Also, though the US Economy is doing better in terms of unemployment numbers and overall job market, the tech sector is hit hard with many layoffs and employers cutting back on the IT spend to increase their profitability. This could be the reason why some employers may not have the job for the H1B applicant, even though they filed the H1B registration. Many companies would have taken their offers back as they are in hiring freeze mode for tech workers.
USCIS will conduct Second Round Lottery for FY 2024 Season
USCIS made an official press release earlier today(July 27th, 2023) indicating that there would be a second-round lottery for FY 2024 Season. Below is a summary of the press release.
- H1B First Round Lottery FY 2024: USCIS said they conducted the first round H1B lottery for properly submitted H1B registration for FY 2024 cap for both regular and advanced degrees (masters) cap. Only those applicants selected in that first round were eligible to file the H1B petitions between April 1st, 2023 and June 30th, 2023.
- Need for Additional Registrations for FY 2024 Season: They said, based on the total number of submitted petitions and other analysis done by them, they made a decision that they would need to select additional H1B registrations to meet the FY 2024 Season Cap, which is 85,000.
- Select Second Round Lottery from Previous Submitted H1B Registrations: USCIS said that soon, they would select additional H1B registrations from the previously submitted pool of H1B registrations for the FY 2024 Season. These are all the electronic H1B registrations submitted by employers during the FY 2024 filing window between March 1st and March 20th, 2023.
- Announcement after Selection and Notifications to Employers: They said that they would make an official announcement after they have completed the second round H1B lottery and informed all the prospective employers about the applicants who were selected in the second round lottery.
- MyUSCIS Accounts to be Updated with Selection Notices: USCIS said that all those who were selected in the second round lottery will have their myUSCIS accounts updated and they can download the H1B Lottery Selection Notice. The selection notice would have details on where to file and when. You can check the Sample H1B registration Selection Notice from FY 2024 First Round.
- Below is the screenshot of the Official Press Release from USCIS.
When will USCIS Conduct H1B Second Round Lottery for FY 2024 Season?
Update: USCIS Conducted Second round Lottery and notified all applicants as of July 31st, 2023 evening EST. You can read more at USCIS Selected 77,600 in Second round H1B Lottey for FY 2024
As per the press release by USCIS, they have not indicated an exact date on when they would conduct the H1B second-round lottery. If we look at the history of H1B cap count updates, below is the insight we have.
- H1B FY 2023 Season: There was no second round H1B lottery for FY 2023.
- H1B FY 2022 Season: USCIS Conducted a second round lottery for the FY 2022 season on July 28th, 2021. USCIS also had a third-round lottery for this season and it was conducted on November 19th, 2021.
- H1B FY 2021 Season: USCIS Conducted a second round lottery for the FY 2021 season on August 14th, 2020.
Based on the past data, we can safely assume, they would likely conduct H1B second-round lottery anytime between tomorrow, July 28th, 2023, and mid-Augst, 2023. The good part with this year is that they made an official announcement regarding the same. In the past, there was no such indication, they quietly conducted H1B lottery and announced later.
How many would USCIS select in H1B 2024 Second Round Lottery?
USCIS updated on July 31st, 2023 that they have selected 77,600 registrations in the second round of H1B Lottery for FY 2024. You can read more at USCIS Selected 77,600 in Second round H1B Lottey for FY 2024
Estimating the H1B 2024 Second round Lottery numbers will be tricky as this year is unlike previous years with a crazy number of H1B registrations received by USCIS. Let’s estimate based on historical data and some of our experience.
First, let’s look at the historical data of H1B second round data for some context. Below is the table of the first-round, second round and third-round selection counts for H1B lottery since FY 2021 season.
|H1B Fiscal Year||First Round |
|Second Round |
|Third Round |
|FY 2023||127,600||Not |
|FY 2021||No Numbers|
Next, the important factor is to look at is how many applicants had multiple registrations and how it would impact the odds. Below is the data released by USCIS on the total number of eligible H1B registrations and how many had applicants had more than one offer/ registration.
|H1B Fiscal Year||Eligible H1B Registrations||Eligible H1B Registrations with only one H1B Employer||Eligible Registrations with Multiple Employers filing H1B for an Applicant||Total H1B Selections in first, second, third rounds|
Impact of H1B registrations with multiple employers: If you look at the above data, the registrations with multiple employers in FY 2024 Season is about 150% more than the previous year. In comparison, the number of applicants with single offers increased only by 13%. The number of increases in multiple offers filings is very disproportionate. The rationale tells that many of these may not be genuine offers as the increase ratio makes no sense.
To offset this crazy increase in the multiple offers filings, USCIS has to select much more than they initially planned. Based on our estimates, USCIS may select anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 H1B Registrations in the second-round lottery. Again, take this with a pinch of salt, and do not keep high hopes, as this is a crazy year.
Sample H1B 2024 Second Round Lottery Selection Notice
Below is a sample H1B Registration Selection Notice from Second Round lottery for H1B Visa 2024 Season. You can clearly see the dates in them to validate the same. The Notice Date of Registration Selection Notice is July 28th, 2023. It indicates that the H1B lottery second round was conducated on July 28th, 2023. This sample was shared by one of the credible attorneys, thanks to them for sharing it with community. Keeping it anonymos for privacy reasons.
The filing window for anyone selected in H1B Visa 2024 Second Round lottery is between August 2nd, 2023 and October 31st, 2023. It is about 90 days, which is same amount of duration for anyone selected in the first round lottery.
Not yet. Only results of the H1B Fy 2024 Second round lottery are trickling in, but USCIS has not released any official data yet.
Latest News updates on H1B 2024 Second Round Lottery
July 31st, 2023, 10:30 PM EST (Official)
USCIS updated that they have selected 77,600 registrations in the second round of H1B Lottery for FY 2024. You can read more at USCIS Selected 77,600 in Second round H1B Lottey for FY 2024. Below is the official Press release.
July 31st, 2023, 12:30 PM EST (UnOfficial)
Many more users have shared on social media and Attorneys on LinkedIn that they were selected in the second-round lottery for FY 2024 season. We are yet to see an update from USCIS on the official count of the selections from second-round lottery. Below are some of the messages and the confirmation from the attorneys and users.
July 29th, 2023, 3:25 PM EST (UnOfficial) We have many more attorneys who confirmed that they have received a lot more H1B Lottery selection notices from the second round for FY 2024. Also, we have some users who shared on social media channels that they were selected.
As of this afternoon, we have at least 5 attorneys who have confirmed that they have seen a lot of selection notices from the second round lottery for FY 2024.
Below are the screenshots of the messages they shared in social media channels on LinkedIn and other places.
July 28th, 2023, 11:30 PM EST (UnOfficial) We have unofficial updates from some of the attorneys telling that they are starting to see selection notices in their myUSCIS Account.
- Reddy Neuman Law Firm, based out of Houston, has tweeted that they are starting to the Second round H1B Lottery results in their USCIS account. The filing given in the receipt notice is between August 2nd, 2023 to October 31st, 2023. see the below screenshot.
- We do not have any official update from USCIS yet on this. We may expect to see the official update from USCIS on Monday.
- As this is the weekend, it will be slow, and USCIS usually does not give any news on their website. This is similar to the first-round H1B 2024 lottery results. So, do not be worried, if you have not heard. Check with your employers, or attorneys.
- We have two users from one of our H1B 2024 community groups, and Facebook Groups inform everyone that they are selected in the second round lottery. See the below screenshot.
- All of the above are unofficial updates from the community, and we are yet to hear the official update from USCIS.
- We will update this article as we have more information.
July 27th, 2023 (Official): USCIS announces that they will conduct second round lottery. They have not given any date on when they would conduct the same. The above article has full details
What do you think of the second-round lottery ? How many H1B registrations would be selected in second round lottery? Add your guess in the comments section below.