As speculated in our H1B Visa 2014 Updates and FAQs page, USCIS released a press note earlier today saying that it will accept H1B Visa petitions for the fiscal year 2014 starting from April 1st. It is no different from previous year’s press release , but they have added some key piece of information regarding lottery possibility and premium processing service. Check it out.
Summary of USCIS official press release on H1B Visa 2014 filing
- H1B petitions for this fiscal year 2014 will be accepted from April 1st, 2013
- USCIS will consider the date the petition physically arrived at their office with correct fee and information, NOT the post marked date on shipping package.
- H1B numerical cap – Total 85,000
- 65,000 for regular quota
- 20,000 for petitions filed for individuals with US master’s degree.
- Lottery Prediction Information by USCIS
- USCIS says that based on its interactions with stakeholders they can expect more petitions this fiscal year between April 1st and 5th .
- If more petitions are received than required, there will be lottery. Last time lottery conducted was in 2008.
- If a petition arrives after the final cap reach date, USCIS will reject that petition. Also, they will reject the petition that is not selected in Lottery.
- Premium Processing Changes
- USCIS to work with high volumes of petitions filed between April 1st and 5th, the premium processing will start from April 15th. It means, premium processing decisions SLA starts from April 15th and NOT April 1st.
- Based on above, the latest one can hear back on the H1B petition status is only after the 15 calendar day SLA of premium processing, which would be April 30th.
Check out H1B updates at : Tracker for H1B Visa 2014 cap count Updates
- USCIS Press release : H1B Petitions to be accepted from April 1st, 2013
- USCIS Alert : Premium processing for H1B Visas starts from April 15th, 2013