The most frequently asked questions when I talked to my friends, family or anyone for that matter from India :
- How is recession impact on H1B visa workers ?
- How is Job market in US now?
- Should I apply for H1B in 2011?
- Did the job market improve from 2009 ?
In this article I will try to give you an idea of How you can find answers to these questions and come to an educated decision, rather than relying on gossips. Also, explain the US recession impact on H1B visa filing for 2011 quota.
With the way too much marketing by TV channels, News Papers, Internet blogs, etc. about US recession and unemployment situation, everyone across the globe are aware with precise unemployment numbers the situation in US. One thing that intrigues everyone around the world is “when will this change?” If you are a young professional seeking to work in US on H1B, you have high hopes to apply for H1B visa petition for 2011 quota and would like to know the current status of recession. The reality is, not many people give same answers. Few people say, “Job Market is good”. Few others say, “Job Market is bad”. Remaining say, “Job Market is improving”. Imagine you talking to these three different sets of people and you get three different answers, What do you do? You are Confused as HELL :S ?!?!
Let me tell you the reality, recession in US is influenced by many macro-economic factors. No one can predict what the future will be…if you can, you are GOD J . As human being, what we can do is always play safe bets and hedge our risk if we cannot predict future. One possible solution is, we can study the pattern and come up with some educated decisions.
How is Job market in USA ? How to study the Job market trend for your Profession?
Lets me ask you the question again, “How is Job market in US”. Any ideas after reading the bold faced words ? let me give you a clue, “How do you know price of vegetables or demand for vegetables ?”. Well, answer for this is: you go to “Vegetable market to find out, because they are sold there and exchanged there”. Similar case for jobs, “where do the Jobs get posted ?”, Job search Websites ! All you have to do is, go to the most popular and reputed Job search sites and see the job postings trend. Here is the logic, you cannot predict the job market for your profession in a day or two. You have to spend at least a month to see the trend. Few popular trends most internationals interested in are IT Jobs/careers/profession.
Steps to do to find out the Job market trend in USA ?
- You will have to go to the most popular job search websites
- Search for your profession by choosing proper criteria
- Look for the number of postings in the section as highlighted in screenshot below
- You will have to browse the jobs by title and check few requirements. Just looking at the number will not help. You will get an idea of what requirements are new and what are old
- Just keep track of the number of postings everyday. You do not need to save the job postings, but you will have to slightly remember the job descriptions. Because, recruiters just keep posting the same requirement again next day.
- Your goal is to see how many new requirements are coming to the market for your profession. The reality is, if a job position is filled, typically the post will disappear in couple of days or may be a week.
Well, you can say, this is a lot of work for me! Honestly, there is no free lunch. This is a genuine way, which is based on real job requirements data, of studying market trend for your profession i.e., either IT Jobs or Non-IT jobs. It is hard for anyone even working in US to tell the job market trend because, if you are working: you are not in job market. So, you do not know. If you are not working and looking for a job, your focus is only in your profession. You do not know other profession’s job situation.
Other things you should follow to keep track of USA Job situation :
- Check the unemployment rates for your profession in US Department of Labor website for Unemployment Statistics . It may not look simple, but just navigate around, you will get your way through. Follow the news releases of US department of Labor news releases about Employment situation.
- Check the US stock market Index. Look at how the market is trending. See the growth in the stock market. Look at industries. In reality, jobs and consulting projects are based on growth of Companies. If you know particular technologies used in companies, you can check the stock of those particular companies. Check : Wall Street Journal
- You can also check Individual companies’ websites and setup alerts for a particular job title. If there are new jobs posted, you will get an alert. You lose nothing. At least, you get the job situation in that company.
- Check the news releases or just subscribe at USCIS for H1 B visa 2011 news updates.
- I assume you follow the general US news, if not start doing that 🙂
Will recession impact H1B visas filing quota for 2011 ?
Well, it is a very tricky question. The last year H1B visa quota for 2010 got filled completely on December 22, 2009. Check the article USCIS Reaches FY 2010 H1B – Cap. It does not mean 2011 H1B cap will last that long, very unlikely. Let me tell you why, the statistics released by US agencies indicate consumers are spending and job market seems to be getting better. Everyone knows this fact, US market will pickup someday, but what we don’t know is when it will pickup. Let’s think through, in all reality, the individuals filing petitions for H1B 2011 quota will start to work from October 2010 or may be January 2011. That’s a long time. If you think practically, you have one more year. Wouldn’t the market pick up in one year? Imagine in a boom market, everyone jumps and you do not want to be the last one. It is a matter of fact that there are additional regulations for filing H1B visas for 2011, but those are only for TARP funds taken banks and some more regulations which are in place to avoid fraud. If there is a genuine need for skilled workers, USICS will take the petitions. I will leave the judgment up to you all to think through and come up with decision. What do you think about Job market or H1B visas impact due to recession ? Post a comment…
If you like the article, rate the post or add a comment ! please subscribe ! If you like the info on the website, write a Testimonial ! Spread the word about website to your friends who need this kind of information! Sharing is Caring !