You may have completed all the pre-departure tasks for H1B Visa in your Home country and ready to leave to USA on H1B Visa. You might wonder what documents I need to carry for travel to be prepared for the US Port of entry(POE) for verification/interview. Let’s look at these details in this article.
If you are entering US for the first time, you may not be aware of the entry procedures. You should read US Port of Entry Procedures, Common FAQs so that you know what to expect.
Now that you know the process, let’s look at the H1B visa context. You need to carry all the required documentation to be ready, if the CBP officer asks you at the port of entry. Below is complete list of documents to carry. Do not panic, if you do not have all the documents, make sure you have an answer or info regarding the same, if asked.
List of Documents to carry for Travel to America on H1B Visa :
- Passport with valid H1B Visa stamping on it.
- H1B Approval notice – Original form I-797
- Your offer letter given by the company that sponsored your H1B Visa
- The employee agreement that you may have signed with your H1B Sponsor
- Work related documents, if any, sent by your H1B Sponsor in America
- Your original educational degree certificates
- If you have MS or any other degree from America, you can carry below documents
- I20s from schools you attended
- OPT card related to your employment before H1B Visa
- Previous W2 forms, if you have worked on F1 Visa
- (Optional) Experience letters related to your previous work, if any
- (Optional) If you have any professional licenses or certificates, you can carry them as well.
Address and Contact information in USA
- You will need the address information of where you will stay in America and what are the arrangements for the initial stay. At times, you may have to fill it out in the I-94 form at port of entry., if taking journey by land or the systems do not work. Make sure you have the address and contact number in USA.
- Also, you would need to carry the information of the person you are going to meet in America. It could be your manager or one of your company’s employees. The reason is, if you end up into any issues, you can reach out to them.
- You may not be asked to show these documents in transit airports, when you are have connecting flights, but it is good to have all the info.
Short Term Travel Insurance for Travel to US on H1B
When you are traveling to US for the first time and not sure, what and where to buy, you can take Short Term Travel Insurance from places like Visitors Coverage – Health Insurance, where you can search and opt for the short therm travel insurance. Once you are settled in first few weeks, then you can buy a domestic insurance from US providers or have your employer cover it.
Where to keep your H1B Visa, Passport and other Supporting Documents ?
You will need all your documents related to H1B visa, supporting documents, when you meet the CBP officer at Port of Entry. The interview with CBP officer at PoE happens before you collect your checked-in luggage bags. So, it is important that you do not put in all your documents in the checked-in bags as you will not be able to have them before the Port of Entry interview with CBP officer. So, make sure you keep all these important documents with you in person in your laptop or backpack that you carry on the plane along with you. If you put any of these documents in luggage check-in you may be in difficult situation not able to show these documents. You can check out Port of Entry Tracker to see the common questions asked and also do add your experience.
Did I miss anything ? Did you carry any other documents ?
Were you asked any other set of documents ?