Entering USA on H1B Visa – Pre-departure checklist, Tasks in Home Country.

In H1B Visa by KumarUpdated : 12 Comments

If you have got an approved H1B Visa and got your  visa stamped in passport at a US consulate office in your home country, you would be thinking, what are my next steps before I enter America…Let me shed some light on what you should do in Home country before you enter America.

Booking Flight Tickets:

As soon as you get your H1B Visa stamped, you need to first book your flight tickets.  The sooner you book, the cheaper your tickets…You have few choices…you can go to online travel websites and book your flight tickets or you can go to a travel agency.  Personally, I prefer to book tickets from a travel agent as you can get the best price. I always check the prices online and then talk to a travel agency…you need to bargain well with the travel agency and use your online price as a benchmark for bargaining.

Health Checkup – Dental, Vision Checkup

Health care and dental are pretty expensive in America. Do a complete health and dental checkup in your home country.  Dental would be much cheaper in your home country, so if you have any dental issues, get them fixed in your home country.   It is good to get a general medical checkup and get yourself any medicines, if needed.  Also, get your vision checked.  Spectacles are very expensive here, you are better off checking and getting extra pairs from your home country.

Driving License – International Driving permit.

It would be very helpful for you to rent a car in USA if you can get your Driving license from your home country. Also, it would not be a bad idea to get international driving permit as well.  You can use it to rent a car…You can also use that as a Photo ID at many locations. So, if you can get the International driving license, just go for it.  You will need to eventually get a US driver’s license, but your home country license can be used to rent a car and learn driving in USA by proper rules…In fact, some states give you US driving license directly, if you have International driving permit…in such case, it is a bumper offer…

Buy Health Insurance for Travel :

It is very important to have health insurance to cover any unforeseen health issues during travel. . Read Why NOT to be without health Insurance.  Until you get a local health insurance policy in America, you should be covered by some sort of health insurance.  There are many agencies that provide these, especially international banks and travel agencies.

List of Things you can Carry to USA

Many people tell you buy a LOT of stuff from your home country as you can save money…but, it is not wise to buy everything in home country. Based on my experience living as a student and working as a professional, I have written an article, that best describes what would be best to carry, what you should avoid… Read : List of Items to be carried to America


Did I miss anything ?  Do you have any other things to add ?


Other Articles

Comments ( 12 )

  1. Amna Ali


    I obtained my H1B visa at the United States after my OPT.
    I’m traveling to my country to renew my passport and getting married.
    My question is:
    I do need to go for an interview with my spouse, because I’m planning to come back and also my employee mentioned they need me back.

    Another questions, what forms do I have to fill out and provide.

    Thank you !

    1. administrator

      If you have valid H1B visa stamped in your current passport, you don’t need to go for stamping. But, if you do not have H1B visa stamped on passport or your visa on passport is also expired, then you need to go for stamping to enter US on H1B visa.

  2. Ranveer

    Hi Kumar,

    I have one question. I am travelling to US next week on H1B and I wanted to come back in another six months for a family function for 10 days and then go back again to USA.

    Can I do this? Please provide your answer.

    1. administrator

      Sure, you can. When you re-enter you will require a valid H1B visa on your passport. If not, you will need to go to stamping again.

  3. Question

    So when we book flight ticket (H1b visa holder) should that be one way or we also need return ticket at time of flying because on some visa they create issues if round trip ticket is not booked at time of flying to US. Please let me know.

    1. administrator

      Typically, 99.9% of the cases go through at the Port of Entry. Most of them book one way, just because you may not know when you plan to come back. Having said that, if you do know some tentative dates, when you plan to visit again, then you can book round trip ticket with open return ticket. But, it is a catch because, you will have to book round trip again from your home country. So, technically, suggestion is to buy one way ticket to keep things simple.

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.