Earlier today USCIS announced that Data Entry was completed for all H1B Cap Subject petitions selected in lottery for FY 2018 quota on May 3rd, 2017. As written in H1B 2018 Lottery Results Final Date article, USCIS announced it in-line with last year’s date ( for FY 2017 year it was May 2nd). Below is a quick Summary and what you can expect in upcoming weeks.
Summary : USCIS Completes Data Entry of Cap Subject FY 2018 H1B petitions :
- Lottery Selected Petitions : USCIS indicated that on May 3rd, they has completed data entry of all H1B lottery selected petitions filed for FY 2018. Basically, it means that if your petition was selected in lottery, USCIS has entered your petition details in their online system and they would have or will dispatch your H1B petition’s receipt to your attorney/ employer soon.
- Return Rejected/ Unselected H1B Petitions : USCIS will return all unselected H1B Petitions from 199K petitions that were part of FY 2018 H1B Lottery. They indicate that due to the volume of the petitions filed, they do not have a definitive timeframe for the same. We estimate that this could be around Mid July first to early August, based on past data.
- Contacting USCIS regarding your H1B Petition : USCIS indicated that you/ your employer should NOT contact USCIS until you receive either a rejected petition package or selected H1B receipt notice. They will issue an alert similar to today indicating that they have completed returning all rejected petitions. Last year, they released press alert on July 8th, 2016 for FY 2017 quota indicating completion of returning of all rejected petitions.
- Transferring of Petitions for Workload Distribution : USCIS is transferring some of the petitions filed under H1B from Vermont Service Center to California Service center to balance load. You will be notified, if your case was transferred to different location. This also has happened in the past and nothing to worry. This does not mean anything for adjudication of your case and will not impact it in any way. If your case was transferred, you will see the below status online and you will be notified via mail ( post) and you should contact that service center, if any issues.
- “On XXX XX, 2017, we transferred your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Receipt Number , to another office for processing and sent you a transfer notice”
- Premium Processing Suspension : USCIS reiterated that premium processing is suspended for FY 2018 for up to 6 months, and they will reject any petitions filed as premium processing.
What does the H1B Data Entry Completion Mean to all waiting for 2018 Lottery Result ?
All it means is that you can expect H1B receipt notice in the next few weeks, if you were selected in this year’s H1B lottery. It usually takes up to two weeks to receive the receipt notices in mail, sometimes there can be exceptions with the mail, where you can get it beyond 2 weeks as well. So, do NOT be worried that you are not selected and think game is over ! Looking at USCIS processing timelines, they will very likely update everyone that they have completed returning rejected petitions in first half of July or so. After two weeks, you may expect rejected packages as well, if you were not selected in H1B lottery. Here is a sample H1B rejected Petition Letter from USCIS. As per past data, we see the rejected packages shipped more in June. If you received H1B receipt notice, read Steps after H1B Lottery – Approval
If you filed H1B in the past, what was your experience ? Share your thoughts…
Reference : USCIS Completes Data Entry for H1B 2018