One of our readers and my friend, Puneeth, recently went through L2 visa stamping and after entering US applied for L2 EAD. He has taken time to share their experience with us. Thanks to him for sharing it with all of us. You can share it with community by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post yourself in User Experiences Section
Background of my situation before L2 Stamping:
I was working on H1B visa and wanted to transfer my visa from H1-B to L2 Visa. My scenario was little different, my H1-B visa had only 6 months validity and I want to take a break for my wedding and travel to India. I got released from my project and didn’t have any employer to sponsor. Also, I want to relocate to my spouse’s place. Therefore, I had decided to transfer my visa to L2. My spouse was working in US on L1B visa.
L2 Visa Stamping in India – Chennai
I scheduled Biometrics on 19th Mar and Interview on 20th Mar at Chennai Consulate. I got myself ready with following documents for the interview. Biometrics took just 20 minutes. For interview, I reached consulate 30 minutes early and separate queue was there based on appointment timings. It took around 45 minutes for me at the consulate.
L2 Visa Stamping Documents Checklist:
- DS-160 form confirmation page with CEAC barcode printout.
- L2 Visa interview appointment letter.
- Valid Passports original.
- Marriage Certificate and around 20 photos from marriage
- My husband passport copy with L1B visa stamping (All pages)
- I-129 copy
- L1B petition copy
- Deputation (Employer’s ) letter of my spouse’s company
- Pay stubs, W2 and income tax returns of my husband and mine.
- SSN copy of my spouse and mine
- NOC from my current company
- My education and work related certificates
L2 Visa Stamping Interview Questions
- Me : Good Morning! Officer.
- VO: Are you applying for L2 visa ?
- Me : Yes, Mam.
- VO : Have you visited any other country ?
- Me : No, just US
- VO: When did you get married ?
- Me: I got married 10 days ago and ( said the date)
- VO: Do you have marriage certificate?
- Me : Showed my certificate
- VO: Approved!
- Me : Thank You!
I prepared myself for every possible questions and documents. Interview was so quick; I hardly spent a minute with officer. I was so happy to hear the golden words.
Experience Applying L2 EAD in US
I travelled back to US after a month and within a week after arrival to US I applied for L2 EAD. I have prepared following documents and applied L2 EAD (work permit).
Documents required for L2 EAD Application
- Completed I-765 Form
- Two Photographs of applicant
- Passport copy of applicant and Spouse
- I-94 of applicant and Spouse
- SSN copy of applicant (Since I had one, have submitted a copy)
- Marriage certificate
- $410 cashier’s check (This is application-filing fee; you do have option to pay online and Check USCIS website for more info)
- L1 approval notice copy of your spouse
I posted hard copies of these documents to USCIS mailbox on 25 April and received receipt notice within a week’s time. My application has reached Vermont center. Waiting for approval.
I hope my experience will provide some insight for visa interview preparation. All the best!