USCIS accepts various kinds of forms for immigration benefits or applications. Processing of such applications or petitions can take time and subject to many hurdles. It is best to keep track of your application status by checking online. In this guide, we give you all details related to USCIS Case status, various options on how to check or track your USCIS Case status online, include options to subscribe for case status updates. Also, we will cover many FAQs.
What is USCIS Case Receipt Notice ? Find Case Number ?
After you submit any application or petition with USCIS, usually, they would send you a receipt notice that has a Case Number by physical postal mail. But, for some forms like I-765 for F1 OPT, you can submit them online. In cases of online form submissions, you would get the receipt notice right away after you submit the form. That electronic copy of receipt notice would have the Case Number as well.
You can use the case number on the receipt notice ( either paper receipt or online receipt) to track Case Status online using USCIS website. USCIS uses form I-797C, Notice of Action to communicate the same for receipts, rejection, transfer, appointments, and other communication. Below is screenshot of Sample form I-797C , where you would find the Case Number.
Who are eligible to check their USCIS Case Status ?
Anyone, who have submitted a petition, application or benefit request with USCIS can check their case status online. Below are the most common types of USCIS cases that you can check status for
- Work visa petitions like H1B, L1, O-1, other using Form I-129
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD) applications using form I-765
- Adjustment of Status applications using form I-485
- Advance parole travel document applications using form I-131
- Application for Naturalization using form N-400
- Green card petition (immigrant visa) for workers using form I-140
If there is no case number given by USCIS, for instance during H1B Visa Registration, then you cannot check the USCIS case status online.
Guide to Check USCIS Case Status Online
USCIS website is the official online location to check and track your Case Status that was filed with them. It is very straightforward to track your case status online. Below is a step by step guide with screenshots on how to check USCIS case status.
- Step 1 – Get your USCIS case Number: Before you proceed to check case status, you need to get your USCIS case receipt number. As shown in above screenshot, the case number will be a 13-digit number. It will start with EAC, WAC, LIN, SRC, NBC, MSC or IOE and will be followed by 10 numbers.
- Step 2 – Go to USCIS website: Visit USCIS.gov Case Status Page
- Step 3 – Enter Receipt number: You will need to enter the 13-digit USCIS Case number in the enter a receipt number box. You should not enter any dashes(-) when you enter the case receipt number in the box. If there are any other letters or characters like ‘*’, then you should enter them as well. See below screenshot on where to enter the USCIS case receipt number.
- Step 4 – Click on Check Status: You need to click on the check status button. After you do that, you will get the USCIS case status displayed online. See below example of case status for approved when filed in premium processing.
USCIS Account for Case Status Alerts, History
USCIS provides an option for users to create a free account on USCIS.gov and get updates related to their Case. You can track the entire history of your application or petition using the case of your case and get alerts for the same as well. You can add multiple cases as well. All you need to is signup for an account using USCIS.gov signup account link
Below is sample screenshot of how USCIS account login looks like and how you can add multiple cases and track their status. You can also add mobile or email alerts.
Below is sample screenshot of how the USCIS case history is tracked.
Check USCIS Case Status using USCIS Contact Center by Phone
USCIS recommends to use online status check. But, for some reason if you do not have access to computer for any reason, you can call USCIS Contact Center. USCIS says that you would get the same case status that you see online, when you call them on phone. Below is the process
- If you are in US, you can call phone number 1-800-375-5283
- If you are deaf, hard to hear, speech disability : TTY 800-767-1833
- If you are calling from outside US, call 212-620-3418
Timings to Call USCIS
You can call USCIS anytime during Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 8 PM EST ( New York Time). The help line is closed on federal holidays and weekends.
Visit In-person to USCIS Field Office to Check Status
If you cannot use any of the above listed two options, then you can plan to visit the USCIS field office or in-person services. They do not encourage this practice for case status check, but may consider, if there are issues with your case. You cannot do walk-in to the USCIS field office. You need to book appointment. You cannot book appoint online, you need to book an appointment by calling details listed at USCIS Contact Center.
Discontinued Options to Check USCIS Case Status
Below are some of the options that used to be available for everyone, but they have been discontinued now as of year 2020 due to modernisation of USCIS processes and availability of digital channels to check status.
USCIS Email option to Check case status
In the past, USCIS provided an option to send email to their service centers to check the status of your pending USCIS petition or application. Starting from Jan 21, 2019, they have discontinued the Case Assistance by Service Center by email. You should NOT email to any of the below email address, you will not get a response. USCIS recommends that you check case status online as explained above or call them.
The USCIS service center e-mail addresses that are discontinued are listed below:
- California Service Center: [email protected]
- Vermont Service Center: [email protected]
- Nebraska Service Center: [email protected]
- Potomac Service Center: [email protected]
- Texas Service Center: [email protected]
Online Appointment Booking, if in US
USCIS has discontinued in-person appointment booking for anyone living in US. You cannot use their online appointment booking system anymore. You can only use that option, if you are outside US and meet specific criteria.
Direct Mail option for case status
USCIS has discontinued the option to send physical Direct Mail to their Service Centers. In the past, they had an option where you would send your details like Name, date of birth, date your application was filed, receipt number and copy of the receipt notice, location where it was filed to the USCIS address. USCIS would respond to your request after that in 15 to 30 days. With digital options now, they have discontinued this option for general case inquiry.
USCIS Case Status – Understand Processing Times Trend
The USCIS processing time for a case depends on various factors like the application or petition type filed, the service centre filed and the current estimated processing times. You should check the USCIS.gov for current processing times to get an ideas on how long it can take. You need to select the form type and Field office or service centre on that page to get an idea of the processing times for the forms you filed with USCIS.