Updated : September, 2015
USCIS had a conference call today to discuss the implementation of the H1B and L1 Fee increase by $2000. As most of you know, president Obama signed the fee increase into law last week Friday. The public law 111-230 signed by president will be in effect immediately. Read H1B and L1 Fee increase $2000 – details, Video .
Summary of the implementation plan by USCIS for H1B and L1 fee increase:
- H1B and L1A & L1B petitions filed on or after Aug 14th, 2010 that meets the following requirements of visa sponsor: “ Company having 50 or more employees in US and more than 50% of their employees are non-immigrant works on H1B and L1, L2 visas” will have to pay additional $2000 dollars.
- The visa fee hike applies to new H1B and L1 Petitons and transfers(transferring employers).
- USCIS is working to modify the I-129 Forms and other paperwork to facilitate the implementation of new visa fee increase public law 111-230.
- The law is in effect from August 14,2010 through September 30,
20142015. ( Ending date amended as per Public Law 111-347 in January 2011 )
- Employers have either include additional fee of $2000 if it applies to them or clearly write a document or cover letter stating why their company does not fall under the new rule. USCIS will look for this letter if there is no such letter, they will give RFE (request for evidence)
It is very unfortunate for the mid size IT companies and for big Indian IT giants like Wipro, TCS, Infosys and Cognizant. Some say it is not fair trade policy, some say Americans needs jobs and this is just a way to encourage these companies to hire more Americans to boost the US econom …. What do you think about this law ? For more info read: Impact of H1B fee increase on Indian Companies
- Original USCIS Press release Aug 19, 2010 : USCIS Implements H-1B and L-1 Fee Increase According to Public Law 111-230
- USCIS : Memo : Change of ending date of Public Law 111-230 to September 30, 2015
Image Credit : http://www.indianainnovationalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Craziest-United-States-Laws.jpg