Home » US Immigration - Visas » Passport Renewal Application NRI in India – Present Address, Previous Address ?

Passport Renewal Application NRI in India – Present Address, Previous Address ?

In case you are not sure, if you can renew/ re-issue your passport as NRI in India, when you visit for vacation…the simple answer is yes, you can do that. You can check out article Passport Renewal Process NRI In India  as shared by our readers.  One of the most asked questions, is what should I fill in for my present address and previous address, when I fill out the passport online application?  We will share the info from users who have done renewal and passport office official response in this article.

What sounds correct for Present Address in Passport Application ?

In the past, we used to recommend that you need to fill in your current address abroad for the present address in application…while it sounds logical and correct, there were confusions and at the end of the day, users were not doing that.  Many were not discussing this openly, as it sounds like you are bending the rule by not stating the current fact that you are living abroad on paper.   We reached out to passport office and below is their official email response screenshot.  What they suggested is to furnish your Permanent address in India as your present and previous address, when you fill in the application. We have also checked with our readers, who previously submitted Passport Application as NRI in India and they all said that they used their address in India as Present and Previous address.

Indian Passport Renewal NRI Present and Previous Address What to Enter

Your Address from Old Passport ( about to expire ) and Current Address Same – Police Verification ?

If your address from old passport that is about to expire is same as current address and you have Aadhar Card on the same address, then there would be no police verification and you can apply on Tatkaal Mode. Of course, it is always subject to passport officer decision on the police verification and it depends.

What if your Address in India Changed in the last 10 years ?  Basically, your present address in India is different from the address printed in your passport that is expiring – Police Verification ?

In fact, one of our readers, had similar situation and she shared that there was Police Verification.  When police came to verify her at home, they asked questions about where she lives, where she works, etc. She said that she lives in X Country and have come for holiday. They made her handwrite a letter stating where she lives and what she does in X country and also the last 2 visit date details to India and sign the same letter.  So, be prepared for Police verification and plan your time, if there are address changes. Always, these are the discretion of the passport officer.

What has been your experience ? What did you put in for Present address when you filled application as NRI ?

I am applying for passport renewal from US.
    I have question about address details. Can I give printable address and other adress details- same (indian address where my parents live)? If yes, will I need to send any documents ?
    OR
    Do I need to give US address in other address details?

If I give US address in other address details- the what kind of documents will I have to send to embassy?

2. Hi Kumar
    After application filling . Next step- Then I go VFS portal, register , add details of application submitted and select courier details. There I see that it specifics that “courier address should be same as address proof”. But I am sending courier from USA and added addresses in passport application for India. Will that be a problem?

• I would recommend use USA address, as that would be used by courier company to bring passport back to you. in 2 addresses, 1 has to be Indian address and other US address if filing from USA.

3. Hi

I’m applying for renewal of Indian passport through CKGS website. Made payment through cashiers check. On filling the NRI passport form, made a mistake. Can I fill a new NRI passport form and use the same CKGS reference number with the payment already made? Or do I have to start a new CKGS application and cancel the existing one? No reply from CKGS for email yet. Call centers also closed . Please help

4. Hi, I am in US and applying for renewal of my Indian passport which with expire in Jan. My address in India has not changed. The form on Government website asks for Address to be printed on passport and Other address. Is it right to use my India address as the Address to be printed on passport and my US address as Other address? Also, is this considered a change in address?

• I used Other Address as US address and gave my US driving license as address proof, you can give energy bill or rent agreement etc as address proof. Printable address I kept as Indian address. this is not mandatory, you can opt other way as well. Printable US address and other address as India Address.

• Hi Manoj

I live in USA and I’m trying to do a renewal. I have a change in address. Can I give my US address to be printed on the passport and my India address as other address? I want to give my India address to be printed on my passport but I don’t have any address proofs under my name, I only have them under my parent’s name, I wasn’t sure if I can give my Indian address in such case. Please advise.

5. Other address details vs passport printable area

Can I have my US address on the other address details and have my India address on the passport printable one?

• Hi Sruthi, I have a similar situation. could you please let me know if using 2 india addresses had any issues with processing. Thank you.

• Hi,

I wrote 2 india addresses on my passport application. It caused no problem. The VFS helpline clarified that as long as there is same india address in both fields, it is fine. If you have entered 2 different india addresses, then you may have to create another application.

• Hi Sid, thank you very much for sharing. I have entered the same India address in both the fields (address to be printed and other address). Have submitted the online application and paid the fees (obviously it can’t be changed now!). its a relief knowing that is not going to be an issue.

• Hi Suman, did you get your passport with same 2 indian address? i just did same mistake and read somewhere that 2nd address should be USA address to get it delivered to you. i am now helpless either i need to fill up a fresh application or somehow it could be correct or it is fine to go with this mistake.

• The checklist document from VFS (for re-issue) indicates that one address need to be US (check for ‘address instructions:’) and also mentioned in other place (FEE PAYMENTS and COURIER ENVELOPES) as “it should match with the courier return label address”.
            But there is confusing details at the last checklist item, related to address affidavit/online application form.

6. The current address on my passport has post office as well as police station specified because of which it does not fit into the NRI passport renewal form. If I remove the post office and the police station from the address, will it count as a change of address? I see that there is a separate field in the form to specify police station, so almost all the information from the address will essentially still be present in the form. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Priyanka,
      Yes, you are right, with the new forms the length has reduced. It may not really constitute a change in address. It is up to their discretion though.

• Thanks for the reply Kumar!
        Since it depends on their discretion, can you please help me understand how I can reduce the chances of getting my application rejected? Should I just select the “Change of address” service to be safe? Is there a better known way of making sure removing some info does not result in application getting rejected? I emailed CKGS about this but did not get a clear response, so if anyone has experience with a similar scenario, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

7. I’m an NRI visiting India for a short duration and my passport will be expiring in a few months. Was trying to complete the online application form for passport renewal and was super confused about what address to enter.
    Their guide says
    Applicants are required to submit the proof of address of the present address only, irrespective of the date from which he/she has been residing at the given address. However, he/she is required to mention all the place of stay during previous one year in the Passport application form
    Unquote
    I couldn’t find any place to enter the previous addresses. So I called their helpline (24X7 Toll Free Number: 1800-258-1800) and they confirmed that they no longer require information regarding previous addresses and that I should just enter the current address in India.

• Thank you for the information. Did you provide both present and permanent address as India address? During police verification did they ask about your temporary India visit?

8. Hi Ram,

I am in USA and applying for renewal of my kids’ Indian passport which will expire in Feb 2021. My address in India has not changed but if I choose the district i donot get the correct police station. If I choose another district, I can select the correct police station. Should i choose the district as the one in the latest passport and choose the nearest PS(though its not the correct one) or should i choose the correct PS and based on that choose the district and if an address change will be required for this.

Can you please help me on this.

• Siddartha,
      Frankly, I am not sure. I have not seen such thing.
      It is best you call them, they are pretty helpful. Personally, I would choose the correct address as district change can be big…Do update here for others benefit.

• Hi Sidd, Even I am in the same case. When filling up form for my Kid’s passport renewal, I am stuck in this place. My pincode is not present for the district I select and not available for any of the district. So, it is resulting in the pincode change. Can you please help me if you find some answer?

• Hi Kishore,
        How did you update address, I am on the same case, I need to renew my daughters passport. Stuck at district since my district got changed, and does it comes as new address or how should you filled?

• Hi Siddhartha,

I am in USA and applying for renewal of my Indian passport which will expire in Dec 2020. My address in India has not changed except the district name and pin code got changed. The application form on Government website asks for Address to be printed on passport and Other address. Which address i should provide under address to be printed section and other details section, like USA current address or Indian address. Else, do i have to give both section with current Indian address. Also, if the district and pin code is changed, is that be considered as change in address?

• Ram,
      There will be option to enter permanent address and current address ? In that case, you can enter both accordingly. Did you get that ? Try downloading the pdf form, it has better option to select from dropdown.

10. Hi
    This is Vatsal Dalwadi.
    My passport is about to expire in a few weeks and I have been trying to fill up the CKGS passport application form. Where in at one step we are asked to fill up application on NRI passport form. My problem starts there. The embassies started accepting the application after 3-4 months of shutdown. My address from my current passport is too big to fit in the NRI passport form. And because of the Covid-19 situation the call centers of Indian Embassy are closed. Can anyone help me out how should I proceed from here.

Vatsal

• Vatsal,
      You may not be able to fit everything that is on old passport as the form fields are shorter now. Remove the ones that are not mandatory and use the rest. Put in a request letter in the application packet indicating the reason, so that they know. Do update here how it goes.

11. I am in the USA and renewing my passport. Address on my passport is no longer valid as my parents shifted to another place. Also, I don’t have any address proof of new place on my name. What are the options do I have? Can I go head with the same address as in my existing passport? Will it trigger police verification? OR can I give the USA address?

• Puneet,
      It is hard to say. One of the users like your situation shared that they got police verification. You should give address, where your parents live so that they can handle the police verification.

I recently renewed my Indian passport at the SFO embassy. I changed my Indian address on the application form, so I got a notification saying there will be a police verification. The issue is I will be in California so would it be alright for my parents in India to talk to the police officer? If so what document would they have to show as proof of address for me? I don’t have an Adhaar card and only have a drivers license which is with me here in the USA.

• Krishnan,
      Well, in my view, as long as someone is in that address and can prove that your parents live there, it should be fine. Anything like your birth certificate or your current address details, etc. would help. Try to call the India Passport office or the SFO embassy to understand what they would check and verify, so that you can have the same ready.

13. Hi, I am in US and applying for renewal of my Indian passport which with expire in Dec. My address in India has not changed. The form on Government website asks for Address to be printed on passport and Other address. Is it right to use my US address as the Address to be printed on passport and my India address as Other address? Also, is this considered a change in address?

• Hi Rajesh- I am currently filling my online form and I filled both India addresses al though I live in US. Should I have filled US address as the other address? Pls help

• i have exact same situation.
        After application filling .Next step- Then i go VFS portal, register , add details of application submitted and select courier details.There i see that it specifics that “courier address should be same as address proof”. But i am sending courier from USA and added addresses in passport application for india.

• Hello,

Did you submit / send your application for renewal. What was the result ?
          I wrote both india address while filling the passport application, hence I am curious.

Thank you !

• Hi Sid,

did you receive your passport with same indian address in both 2 option? i did same mistake and just paid, curious now what to do.

• Hi Sid, did you get your passport with same 2 indian address? i just did same mistake and read somewhere that 2nd address should be USA address to get it delivered to you. i am now helpless either i need to fill up a fresh application or somehow it could be correct or it is fine to go with this mistake.

14. Can I apply for passport renewal in India if I am living in California? Since I will not be physically present there, can my mother sign documents for me or collect my passport?

I tried applying it through Cox and Kings in San Francisco but they are closed until April 7 and I need a renewed passport urgently. It’s of grave importance!

• Swapna,
      No, you should be physically present to collect and submit for passport renewal.
      You can submit for renewal and collect it on your own, when you are in India.
      Try calling the Indian Embassy, they can help you.

• We changed a minor name in passport application and the adress we want to keep the same in passport as previous but due to adhar of a kid the adress is changing as it differs so is there any solution for getting the old adress

• Anju,
        You cannot. You will only get the address that you are currently in. Frankly, it does not matter what address is in Passport.

15. I am renewing my Indian passport in San Francisco. As I am filling the application to renew my Indian passport, I see that I can not fit my old address fully. The character length in the application form is restricting me to fit my entire address. I don’t want to change my old address but I am not able to fit it fully. So I am not sure how to handle this situation. Any recommendations?

• Raghavan,
      You may need to cut down few things in address, if it does not fit. Try to shorten or remove, what are not critical for address. See if you shorten any name…

• Hi Kumar,

Do we need to submit any additional proof of adddress if we remove the building name since it didn’t fit?
        All my India documents have the building name (including my passport). Do you know if it is considered change in address since this isn’t exactly true: Is your passport printable address exactly similar to the Indian address printed on the previous (i.e. Latest held ordinary passport) passport?

Rahul

• Rahul,
          Some of the spaces are reduced, so don’t worry about, you should be fine to remove it, if it does not fit. Remove the ones that is not essential like the building name. I don’t think you need additional proof. Make sure you take a screenshot or something that tells the address does not fit online and you had to trim for that reason. If they ask, you can show the reason.

16. Hi ,
    When my passport was initially issued the address was at Kolkata.
    Now when i need it my passport renewed, I put in the permanent address as the present address as well.
    I also have to fill Annexure “E” , Where they have asked how long have i been living at the present address.
    What should i put there ?

• Ramesh,
      You need to put in the the details that correspond to where you live as in Annexure. If you are in doubt, call customer service.

17. sir,
    am in Saudi Arabia, my passport expire on Dec 2020, I am going on vacation Oct 2019 to India, I can renew my passport now? I need to change the address is this police verification need? I need to add my wife’s name I have the marriage certificate, what other documents needed? I have 15day’s leave only I plan to apply tatkal, I will get a passport within 15days?

• Yes, you can. Well, there maybe police verification when address is changed. Sure, that is not a problem, marriage certificate should be good enough. Oh well, 15 days is about good time, if your petition is accepted in tatkaal. But, you also need to be prepared for worst case situation, in case you do not get it on time…So, factor in that as well. If you are in time crunch, you can do it in Saudi as well, so that you are not in rush.

18. Hi there
    I live in USA and am planning to apply for my passport renewal soon. In my current passport, which was issued in 2010, my home state is Andhra Pradesh but since the bifurcation of the state in 2014, it is Telangana now. Everything else is the same. So my question is, do I need to select change of address too while applying?
    Thanks.
    Sai.

19. We live in the USA. My daughter who is a minor had her passport renewed 5 years ago at San Francisco. The address in the passport is of the US address. Now we plan to renew it in India when my family goes for a visit to Bangalore. I have applied online and taken a tatkal appointment. She has an aadhar card (which was made when we came to India sometime back). Now we do not have any permanent residence in India.
    So I am wondering if they will renew passport in India and since we do not have a permanent residence. And secondly, where will they despatch the passport, because we do not have an address proof for any address in India….

20. I am residing at Malaysia since 4 years. I got to know that my passport was without address verification when I applied to Reissue it here in kuala Lumpur under damage condition in september 2018 and couldn’t make time to go back India at the same time to clear that adverse condition. As it was some emergency to get passport , my request was considered by Indian high commission and approved me 2 year temporary passport on 10th oct 2018 adviced I need to reissue passport in India within this time period.
    Now I am planning to go to India to reissue passport( EXP date:9th Oct 2020)

pls advice in this condition

Can I apply through Tatkal?
    What documents I need to carry?
    Permanent address is same as in previous passport but which was somehow not verified:(

• Well, with your situation, I am not sure. They may or may not go for address verification. it all depends on your profile and Passport officer decision. The documents are pretty much as what you see in the above article.