As we just heard from USCIS that there were 199K Petitions for FY 2018 and H1B Lottery completed, the US President’s office indicated that Trump is set to sign an Executive Order tomorrow April 17th, to crack down on the H1B program’s immigration fraud and save American Jobs. So far, there is no official document released yet. But, we have news reported at Whitehouse Press conference, news agencies like Bloomberg and Recode.
Update : President Signed the EO – Check Summary of Executive Order, H1B Visa Holders Impact
Key topics that may be part of the executive order :
- Review current H1B visa program and how to prevent fraud by outsourcing agencies/ body shops
- Rule change options to offer H1B visas to high paid workers, similar to H1B 130K wage Bill
- Take deeper look at how outsourcing companies are using H1B visas and avoid losing American jobs for less expensive foreign workforce. The Trump Administration officials mention that outsourcing companies like TCS, CTS, Mphasis, etc. would receive fewer H1B visas and they have been briefed of the same.
- Ideas to remove H1B Lottery and allot visas to more skilled and high paid workers.
- Some H1B wage stats, quotes from the White House press briefing :
- “80 percent receive less than the median wage, and only 10 percent receive the median wage. And so only 5 percent were categorized at the highest wage tier of the four wage tiers that are in place for the H1B guest worker visa”.
- “There’s ways that you could adjust the lottery system to give master’s degree holders a better chance of getting H1Bs relative to bachelor’s degree holders.”
We do not know until the actual executive order draft is released..Stay tuned for updates. We will update article.
Check out H1B Visa Bills Tracker to get a view of current proposed bills in House and Senate
- Whitehouse.gov Press Briefing – Buy American, Hire American Executive Order
- Bloomberg : Trump seeks Shift in Visa Allotment
- Recode : Executive Order to review H1B Program