One of our readers, Praveen has attended H1B and H4 visa interview along with his family in Mumbai earlier this year. He has taken time to write up a detail visa stamping experience, including set of questions he used to prepare for the interview. It is very well written experience and worth reading for anyone planning to attend H1B visa interview. Thanks to Praveen for taking time to share his experience with our readers. You can share yours as well here, so that we can publish it.
First of all i would like to thanks to the editor of this website who has started such a good webpage in which we can get each and every information regarding USA. I too had very good experience and I too had prepared myself well in advance by the help of blogs present here and successfully got visa stamped 🙂 Let me share you my experience and also some of pet question which VO asked during interview.
Background Information – H1B Filing, Lottery Selection, Approval.
Getting H1B is everyone’s dream so was mine. I got sponsorship from a company based out in Detroit (MI). They filled H1B petition for me on April XX 2014, and gave me the receipt number so that I can track online at USCIS website. On May XX 2014, I got mail that my petition got selected in lottery, that was wonderful day for me. Once every week I use to track the status of my application. On August XX 2014, I came to know my H1B petition got approved now the day has arrived for which I was waiting……Visa stamping day… Due to some personal issues I took VISA interview date bit late i.e; on XX Jan and XX Jan 2015
XX Jan for OFC (Biometric) and XX Jan for VO interview.
Documents I carried to the Consulate for H1B visa Interview:
- DS-160 confirmation
- Appointment Confirmation
- Original I797
- Client letter
- Wedding album
- My Resume
- Educational Documents.
- Offer Letter from H1B Company
- Consulate letter from H1B Company
- My previous Experience Letters
- Bank statement
- 2 PP photos of all of us
My experience was good but I too have some question from embassy which I will explain here.
On XX Jan2015 I went to OFC center which is located opp. MTNL building in Bandra Kurla Complex, there as it was Sunday I was expecting lot of crowd, which stands true.
Note : There is no Locker facility to keep your belongings like bag, cellphone, etc.
On gate I showed my OFC appointment letter and my PP, which one of VFS guys verified and guided me to go in ( I was accompanying with my wife and my 3 yr. old son). After entering the building at another verification point a lady checked my and my wife’s & child PP and issued a token number and put sticker behind our Passport.
After entering the premises I saw 10-12 counters where all Indians were sitting, and there was big screen in front of you where you can check the token number and as per your turn you can go to the counter window.
Everything was normal and there was no sign of fear or anxiousness on anybody’s face who ever was there. My wife’ token number was shown on screen and she went for photo and fingerprint scan. After that my number was shown on screen and then I went with my son
Questions at OFC Center for H1B Visa Stamping – Mumbai, India
- Me: Good Morning mam.
- OFC Center lady : Good morning, can I have your PP
- Me: I passed it to her.
- (she scanned its barcode) and asked
- OFC Center lady : Why you want to go to states?
- Me: (I was not expecting this question at least from her) I said, its new opportunity for my there.
- OFC Center lady : What’s your son DOB?
- Me: XX:XX:XXXX
- OFC Center lady: can I have his pic?
- Me: I gave it to her ( for biometric they don’t take pics of kids less than 5 years old, one has to take pic as specified in standard with him while going for biometric).
The OFC center Lady struggled bit to adjust kids pic on wall and focusing her camera, after few min she returned it to me( they don’t take Kids finger print). Then they took my pic and my fingerprint of both hands and I left the premises. The day was cool, whole process took hardly 10min. advised not to reach before 30min, as the security person will not allow you to enter.
H1B and H4 Visa Stamping Day 2 at US Consulate in Mumbai, India
As my appointment for VO was at 08:00Am, I reached at 06:30Am at BKC outside USA consulate. I was prepared with all necessary documents aligned. There were 20-30 people at that moment, I was relaxed that my turn will come soon coz of less people, as the watch showed 07:00Am suddenly I noticed people start gathering and at of sudden there was 200-250 people waiting outside consulate for being interviewed. I enquired some were for tourist visa some for crew visa some for student visa and some for PR, all of them made a queue at consulate gate, I too joined them and stand in queue, the VFS guy outside started checking everyone’s PP and scanned the sticker behind it.
At 08:00Am I was in at consulate premises, before entering the consulate at gate they scanned our documents and warned not to carry any USB, Cellphone, CD, Hard disk which I was not carrying. At entry a guy again check our PP and guided us to seating area. We seated there, after 20-25Min they said our row to move inside consulate main building area where VO sits.
As I entered the building I saw again there was 15-18 counters and every one was talking/replying to VO, again after entering the Vo area a lady (US) took our fingerprint (perhaps she matched it what we gave previous day), and we moved ahead in queue.
Before me there was 2 students and one of the guys(crew visa) waiting for interview and I was also observing other counter, one can listen easily what VO asking to other candidate, someone trying to convince the VO and the VO was not satisfy and issuing white slip and for some VO was taking long time while interviewing. In front of me the VO seems to be in good mood and easy but at other row VO was not easy and asking too many questions. My turn came.
H1B Visa Interview Questions India – Mumbai
- Me : Good Morning sir.
- VO : Good Morning.
- Vo: PP please
- Me: passed it to him.
- VO : Since how long you been working with this employer?
- Me : This is new opportunity sir.
- VO : Oh ! Can i have your petition?
- Me: passed.
- VO : scanned the bar code and did some thing in his system.
- VO : what do you do?
- Me: Explained
- VO: What does this employer do?
- Me: Explained
- VO: Where are you going?
- Me: Detroit.
- VO did something and wrote something in his system while asking questions.
- VO : How’s baby doing?
- Me: Fine sir.
- VO : Tied band to our all three PP, and asked, are you going to work for any client?
- Me: As I was prepared and I was expecting this question, I said “NO”.
- ‘Coz if said yes VO would have asked for client side letter.
- At last he said what I was waiting to hear and for what I did this lot of preparations.
- VO: I am approving you VISA, you will receive a SMS regarding that.
HAPPY : -) and left the premises, very next day I got SMS that my PP is ready to collect from nearest collection center. I collected my PP and checked all details.
This was my experience, now I am sharing some set of questions which VO asks, and which I prepared and made list for my own interview hope it will help some of users.
Other H1B Visa Questions that can be asked in Visa Interview:
- What does your US employer / company do ?
- What will be your job duties in the US company ?
- How many employees does the US company have ?
- What is the annual turnover of the US company ?
- Where will you be working in the US ?
- What are your primary work skills and benefits ?
- How long have you worked with your current employer ?
- What is your current salary ?
- Have you ever been in a ‘no-job no-salary’ kind of situation ?
- What is your role in the current company ?
- Which university in the US did you study at ?
- What is your highest education level ?
- Where will you be staying in the US ?
- How long do you plan to stay in the US ?
- Which State do you live in / will be living in the US ? What’s your opinion about the State ?
H1B Visa Questions about your intent:
- What is the purpose of your trip to the United States?
- Do you have any family in the United States?
- Why are you changing your Job?
- Why do you want to work in the US?
- Have you applied for visa for any other country?
- Do you know what is the living cost in the U.S. specific to the place where you are going?
- When are you planning to travel?
- How will you survive for the first month?
- Have you been to any other country before?
- If yes, how long was your stay there?
- Will you come back to India?
- When will you return to India?
- Why would you want to return to India?
- Is it your first H1B or visa revalidation?
- After the conclusion of your visa, what do you plan to do?
H1B Visa Interview Questions about your education and experience:
- Are you a student?
- Which university is your degree from?
- What was your thesis about?
- What is the difference between PL/SQL and SQL?
- What software you know? Do you have work experience with these?
- What courses did you complete in India?
- Show me your certificates.
- Show me your educational certificates and experience letters?
- Tell me about the jobs you have done, and your work experience.
- What is your highest educational qualification?
Questions about your current job and company:
- How long have you been working?
- Where are you working currently?
- What is your current salary?
- What is your current role in the current company?
- Is it an Indian company you currently work for?
Questions about your sponsoring company:
- What is the company you are going to work for in USA?
- Where are you going to work in US?
- Why are you joining [New Company]?
- How do you know this is a real company?
- When did you receive your offer letter?
- What will you be working on there? Is it an internal project?
- I need a client letter describing your work project.
- Tell me what do you know about [New Company]?
- When was the US company founded?
- Tell me about the project and the company (client) you will be working for?
- How did you find out about this company?
- How did you contact the [New Company]?
- What is the current project you will be working on?
- What are your responsibilities and for which client are you going to work for?
- Do you have any proof from your new employer regarding your responsibilities?
- Do you have any company photographs?
- How long has the company been in the current location?
- How many rounds of interviews has the USA company conducted?
- What is the name of your interviewer?
- Can you give me the dates of your interview?
- Who are the clients for your U.S. company?
- What are the technologies you are working on?
- Who is the President/CEO of the U.S. company?
- What kind of projects is the U.S. company working on?
- What is the annual turn over of the company?
- How many employees does the U.S. Company have?
- What’s your designation in [Previous Company] and what’s your designation in the [New Company]?
- Will you be working from [New Company] office or client’s place?
- Can I see the Employee petition to USCIS and the Tax Returns of the Company?
- What is the salary you will get in USA?
- How many rounds of interviews did the U.S. company conduct?
- What are they? 4 rounds (2 technical, 1 HR, 1 manager interview)
- Can I see your client end letter and itinerary of services