F2 Visa stamping is one of the trickiest ones as many users have reported their visa stamping did not go well as planned, in fact one user got F2 stamping after 6th attempt. Anyways, one of our readers, Vishnu has taken time to share their successful F2 visa stamping experience in India. Thanks to Vishnu for taking time to write up the experience to help community. You can share yours with community on blog by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or sharing at User Experiences Section
F2 Visa Stamping – Applicant Background
- Consulate, Visa, Location : Applying for F2 Visa Stamping at Chennai US Consulate, India
- F1 Visa Holder ( Spouse) : Working on OPT, requested for STEM OPT extension until June 2021. I-20 states requested STEM OPT extension, not yet approved. The updated I-20 with STEM OPT extension requested was carried for stamping.
- Sponsor : F1 Holder was indicated as sponsor and had $20,000 USD in bank balance for the same.
- F2 Spouse : Spouse working for a startup in India in IT related job.
- Marriage Details, Marriage Certificate, I-20 , Passport : We got married on March 10th 2019 and by the next day we registered our marriage and got the marriage certificate. By the following week, he left for us and applied for dependent i20 with the marriage certificate in his college and meanwhile I have added spouse name in my passport.
- DS-160, Interview Booking : Once after receiving the new passport and SEVIS ID, we started to fill and DS-160 form and booked a date for visa interview. Initially interview date was on 15th may 2019 and later we rescheduled it for 1st may 2019.
F2 Visa Stamping Documents Checklist
We have gathered for visa interview the below set of documents and carried the same for stamping.
- DS 160 confirmation and Appointment letter
- Passport (old and new)
- F2 dependent I-20 with Extension applied for stem OPT
- F1 I-20 with Extension applied for stem OPT with His Passport (Color Print)
- Marriage Certificate
- Wedding album
- Marriage invitation card
- F1 Spouse EAD card
- F1 Spouse I-975 (Application for Employment Authorization)
- F1 Spouse Salary slips for the last six months
- F1 Spouse Bank statements (bank in the United States) for the last six months
- F1 Spouse Bank statements (bank in the India) and bank passbook
- F1 Spouse Offer Letter and Employment Proof from his employer
- F1 Spouse Travel History and Recent I-96
- F1 Spouse SSN (Social Security Number) cOPY
- F1 Spouse Office ID card (XEROX)
- F1 Spouse Driving license for US Address Proof
- F2 holder offer letter, working in India.
- F2 holder last six months pay slip
- F2 Holder Employment Proof Letter from current employer
VAC Appointment for Biometrics : Completed VAC Appointment on 12th April 2019 and my Consular Appointment was on 1st May 2019.
F2 Visa Stamping Interview Questions
(The consular officer was a young lady)
- VO: Hello, Good Morning.
- Me: Good Morning.
- VO: What type of visa you are applying for ?
- ME: F2 Dependent Visa.
- VO: Can I have your I20?
- ME: (gave it to her) sure.
- VO: What is your husband currently doing in US ?
- Me: He is in his OPT with XYZ company.
- VO: When did he joined the company?
- ME: July 2018
- VO: In which university your husband is doing his masters ?
- ME: He completed his masters from ABC university.
- VO: When did your husband leave to the US for higher studies?
- Me: AUG 2016
- VO: When did your husband get graduated?
- Me: May 1st 2018
- VO: where does he currently stay ?
- Me: (said the place)
- VO: Did he shift recently to this place ?
- Me: yes.
- VO: When did you guys got married?
- Me : Mar 10th 2019
- VO: Can I have your marriage certificate ?
- Me: Sure (gave it to her)
- VO: Give me a few minutes (left the place and went inside with my marriage certificate)
- ME: Sure
- VO: Is it an arranged marriage or love marriage ?
- ME: Arranged marriage
- VO: Can I see your marriage album ?
- ME: Sure gave her the album.
- VO: (Had a look at the album) How many days did he stay for marriage ?
- ME: 2 Weeks
- VO: When did he leave for US after marriage?
- ME: (said)
- VO: (Returned Album and Marriage Certificate) .
- ME: (collected what she gave ) Thanks.
- VO: Who will be supporting you financially there?
- ME: My husband is earning in his OPT, that should be sufficient for us.
- VO: Give me a few minutes (left the place and went inside with I20)
- ME: Sure.
- VO: What will you be doing in the US ?
- ME: Spend time with him and will visit some places in the US with him.
- VO: (Returned i20 with Green slip) Configurations, your visa has been approved.
- ME: Thank You !!
Received passport in a week with F2 visa stamp, traveled to US soon after that in couple of weeks. Good Luck to you all !