Owning a car is very important in USA especially in small cities. One of the big reasons is lack of proper transportation. In big cities like New York, Los Angeles or Chicago you have a huge public transportation system. There is huge bus network and metro train network in bigger cities. Buses and trains are available all the time and you can live without a car in bigger cities. But, if you go to small cities, you do not find enough transportation and if they do exist you have very little frequency. If you do not have a car in small city or even suburbs of bigger city, you are really crippled. It is like not having legs as a human being. You cannot go anywhere, you are stuck to house. Some say, “I live close to work, I won’t need one”. Guess what? You will not have a life…You cannot go to movies, you cannot do shopping, you will not be able to meet friends. All in all, you will not have a social life or precisely NO FUN Life without a car. If you do not have any financial constraints, I highly recommend you buy a car as soon as you can if you are in a small city. Many people think, it is expensive to maintain, blah blah blah…do not listen to them. You need a car, not a BMW or Benz. You can buy a used car for reasonably cheap price like four to five thousand dollars.
Owning a car in big city comes with great expense. I got towed recently too without my knowledge, some cities are very strict and they are greedy for getting parking tickets money from you as much as you can….a
Disadvantages of owning car in Big Cities:
- Parking is expensive, you will have to pay for parking separately apart from rent
- Auto Insurance is expensive
- No place to park sometimes, if you park on street.
- Waste of time in traffic if you drive to work.
- Most of the places you go, you will have to pay parking. So, additional expenditure.
- Risk of getting towed if you park on street.
- More prone to get parking tickets
Advantages of owning a car in big cities :
- Convenience: ONLY Convenience nothing other than this. You have independence to go out late and come home late.
Personal experience, I did not have any social life until I bought a car. Once I got a car, opportunities opened up. My network grew drastically. I got to appreciate the great opportunities available out there to enrich your life and be happy! Personal advice, buy a car first if you have money to appreciate great things in USA !