If you would like to study some day and achieve your academic dreams, one of the decisions to consider for settling in either US or India is Graduate school education system, research expertise, support and good infrastructure for further research in your field of interest. For those of you who have not studied in US, you must this article: Masters and Bachelors Education System in USA vs India . This article is part f the series Settle in US or India
Graduate School Education in US
I was fortunate enough to study in four different Universities in US during the course of getting MS and MBA. I was also lucky to visit lot more universities as I traveled to other schools for conferences and visit friends… Every school is so unique, there so many great things about every school I visited. Also, on the same lines I was also lucky to visit few universities including IITs in India. Anyways, coming back to the point, based on my observation and experience studying here in US as well as in India….I feel unless you can get into really cream of the cream schools in India like IITs and other premier schools, it is very hard for you to get enough support for pursuing research for MS or PhD…. It is the same case for MBA too…I feel that there is more scope for growth in your research area on a graduate school level because fundamentally on a macro level and not to generalize here are few random reasons why US is a better choice for higher education.
- Funding for research : There is so much money spent in America for research, either it is companies sponsored or state funded.
- Infrastructure : The more money, the better facilities for Labs.
- Pool of Talent : It is very much fun to work passionately on project when you have great team of researchers. I think in US you have better pool of talent…Again, it depends on school you pick
- Specialization: Every university is strong for some specific kind of research and you have great professors publishing outstanding research articles. You have wider choice to pick from schools in US rather than just few schools in India.
- Business schools: You have more options to pick a great business school for doing MBA. The education system and networking is phenomenal.
I can keep on writing….but, on a very higher level, these are some of the things that come to my mind.
Decision to Settle in US or India for Higher Education:
If you are into advanced research or would like to do MBA in a top tier school, I would say it is a great idea for you to live in US at least until you achieve your dreams. Then you can always make a decision to go back or live here and continue your research or take the research capacity to India… Not trying to say you cannot do all this in India…the way I look at it is, you have much more options to choose for graduate school education in USA….also the infrastructure and support for research is phenomenal in US….
What are your thoughts ?