The Immigration Bill, HR 3648 also called “The Equal Access to Green Cards for Legal Employment (EAGLE) ACT of 2021”, which is aimed at removing Green Card per-country caps based on country of birth, was introduced in House on June 1st, 2021.
We have created this page to track all the latest news updates, official & rumours, including key activities & events organized by advocacy groups. We continue to update this page as we have new updates.
If you are new and not sure what the Immigration Bill is about, read the below articles :
- Article: EAGLE Act 2021 – GC Per Country Cap Removal Bill: Summary, Chances?
- YouTube Video: EAGLE Act 2021 – Video Summary, Chances?
- Official Bill Text: HR 3648 Bill Text on House.gov PDF file (35 pages)
- Official Bill page on Congress.gov : H.R. 3648 Bill page on Congress.gov
Latest News on HR 3648 Bill – EAGLE Act 2021
September 15th, 2021 : Below are the updates in the last 30 days or so.
- In the last 30 days, there were few more co-sponsors who got added. the count stands at 72 co-sponsors now.
- There has been less focus on this EAGLE Act 2021 as the focus is on the Budget Reconciliation Bill, which has a lot of key immigration related items that are from EAGLE Act.
- We may not see much progress on this bill until the Budget Reconciliation Bill related immigration bill is finalized and a decision is made on it.
- As of Sep 15th, the budget reconcilation Bill has passed the House Committe and next will come to House Floor for voting. You can check the text of the Bill
August 17th, 2021 : In the last week or so, the overall co-sponsors count increased from 61 to 63. No new updates. There are more talks on the budge reconciliation bill and if some parts of the Eagle Act would go in there. We need to wait and see what comes out.
August 10th, 2021 : In the last two weeks or so, the overall co-sponsors count increased from 53 to 61. Still a long way to go. Below is the list. Other than this, there is no major update on the bill in terms of advocacy or any other aspects.
July 26th, 2021 : In the last week or so, more cosponsors for the bill were added. The total stand at 53 as of today. Below is the list. No major new updates other the change in co-sponsors list.
July 18th, 2021 : In the last three weeks, below are the updates
- More co-sponsors are added, total co-sponsors stand at 45. See the below screenshot.
- There was Juidicary Committee Meeting with lot of information on how US is losing talent to Canda and issues around less H1Bs, Green Card wait times. There is a lot of material that youc an check out and review documents on the same. Check US Immigration Committe hearhing July 2021
- We also have the official text of the full bill available on the Congres website.
- No other new updates on the bill. There is no lobbying or other activities happening on TV or Events, etc.
June 29th, 2021 : In the last one week, we had about 6 more House Reps, who joined as co-sponsors for the bill. Now the count stands at 37 total. See below. Still a long way to go. No other significant activities are outreach activities were reported regarding the EAGLE ACT 2021.
June 22nd, 2021: Since June 14th, there were about 3 more Reps who got added to the co-sponsors. Total now stands at 31 for co-sponsors. See below. The current count of co-sponsors is way lower than what the previous similar Bill HR 1044, which had 311 Co-sponsors. Technically, 10 times more than what we have now for the Eagle Act of 2021. No other major development reported in the social media like events or anything as such.
June 14th, 2021 : There were about 6 new co-sponsors added in the last week. Now the total stands at 28 sponsors. There is no other news regarding the Bill. It is currently with the House Judiciary Committee. Still there is no update on the Summary or the official text. All we have is the draft text that is shared by the sponsors on June 1st, 2021.
June 4th, 2021 : There are 3 more new co-sponsors for the bill. The total co-sponsors are now 22. See below.
June 1st, 2021 : House Bill, HR 3648, was introduced in the US House by Rep. Zoe Lofgren and Rep. John Curtis as the leads. They have made announcements on their website and provided a summary of the same. Below is the key update
- The Bill was introduced in House and referred to House Judiciary Committee.
- There are 19 Co-sponsors for the Bill. The higher the better chances of it passing.
- Below is how it looks on the Official Congress.gov webpage without any proper summary or details, including text. The draft is only shared by the Reps on their website.
- Press Release by Rep. Zoe Lofgren : EAGLE Act 2021 – Eliminate per country limits on Employment based visas.