H4 visa to H1B visa transfer for 2011. Impact of New H1B rules on H4 to H1B visa conversion 2011 Quota
I was asked by one of our readers about options for H4 to H1B visa conversion as she was planning on applying for H1B visa petition for 2011 quota. The impact of new rules with H1B employer-employee relationship have a significant impact on the all those qualified H4 visa holders who would like to apply for H1B visa for 2011 quota. This article will focus on some of the impact on H4 visa holders. If you do not know new rules. First Read the articles :
- Flash News : Additional requirements for filing H1B Visa petition for 2011. USICS releases additional Employer Employee relations Memorandum
- New H1B visa petition filing guidelines and requirements for 2011 quota and New guidelines for H1B visa Extensions
H4 Visa holders general situation :
Typically, significant number of the H4 visa holders are well educated with B.Tech degrees and some of them probably would have worked in Indian IT Consulting companies like Infosys, Cognizant, TCS, Wipro, HP, IBM etc. for few years anywhere from 1 to 5 years. Once these well qualified professional women marry H1B visa holders working in US, they come to US on H4 visa and back of their minds, they are thinking : “After I go to US, I am going to apply for H1B visa and work in US along with my husband ”. Also, the guys are thinking too, “I should apply for H1B visa for my wife in the upcoming H1B visa quota”. Typically, this used to work out very well until recent years where there has been recession hit and significant job losses all over US. In general, it is very hard for someone who used to work full time as a professional to sit at home all day and do nothing. It is just frustrating and in fact waste of time too.
New H1B visa 2011 rules impact on H4 Visa holders:
Well, with the new H1b rules memorandum and additional requirements for H1B visa petition, there is a big question prevailing among the H4 visa holders, “How to find a good H1B visa sponsor who can fulfill the new rules ? ”. With the new rules the small desi consultancies who used to H1B visa sponsorship are no longer in good shape to file a valid H1B visa petition. I have already written a section about this in previous post, where I explain “What does New H1B rules for 2011 Quota mean to all the Small IT Consulting Companies ?” . Anyways, bottom line, your options for finding prospective H1B visa sponsors are very limited. I am sure the husbands on H1B visa are looking all around for any contacts to find a good employer. Few tips for looking for employers.
What/How to look in an employer to sponsoring H1B visa for 2011 quota:
- You really want to look for companies of good size, I would say at least 150 or more.
- The most important thing is to look if they have project implementations in US and they have employees working on site and reporting to the consulting company and not to client. They must have few implementations. It is very important for your Visa approval.
- As always, you can verify the size of the company and other details like denials, etc. Check the article: Things to verify before you choose employer for H1B visa .
- One of the avenues is to look at the big outsourcing concept consulting companies like Infosys, TCS, Cognizant, HP, Accenture, etc. There are many outsourced projects and because H4 visa holders have some work experience, they can cash that in and build a strong resume. It would be an ideal option if you can find a job in the big IT outsourcing Consulting companies.
- Another option is to look for Full time job at any American company. If you can dictate the start date with the company to have it from October 1st, then you can adopt this option. It might not be possible. Read the below for more likely situation based on cap numbers.
If H1B quota for 2011 lasts until December 2010 :
Let’s say, hypothetical situation (cannot count on this, but something to think about), the H1B visa quota lasts till December 2010. It does not even be till December, even the H1B quota lasts until October 2010, there is another idea. You can start looking for Job in any American Companies. I mean, look for a FULL Time job in any American company. You are not limited to consulting companies. Based on the cap count, you can see the situation and may be start looking for Job from August and you might get an offer in September, they can apply for Visa. Ideally, it takes 2 months or so for getting full visa approval. It sometimes comes early too based on how fast USCIS Process the H1B visa petitions. Anyways, you may start looking for job from June too and may get an offer in August and by the time the visa process is done you are already there in October 2010.
It is a very hard situation for all the H4 visa holders and I know quite few of my friends who recently got married and are planning on H1B visa for their wife, but having a hard time with new rules and recession. Well, it is what it is, we cannot change much. Just try harder… Good Luck!
If you like the article, rate the post or add a comment ! please subscribe ! If you like the info on the website, write a Testimonial ! Spread the word about website to your friends who need this kind of information! Sharing is Caring !
Image Credits: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xabbu/2635822406/
Do you like the article ?
Like and Give Google +1 for this Article :