Parents Visitor Visa USA - Documents, Checklist, letters Templates

Process and Documents needed for Parents Visa to visit USA? B2 Visa/ Tourist visa Sample Documents

In US Immigration - Visas by KumarUpdated : 1596 Comments

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends after they start working in US and typically whenever they are expecting a baby is “What is the process for applying visa to parents to come to USA ? What documents do I need ? How do I start ?” . Also, if you are on F1 visa, you may want to invite your parents for your graduation…In any case, I was in the same boat and found information I needed from friends and other sources. This article will focus on the whole process with documents needed and what to do step by step.

Getting Started  with B2 Visitor Visa for Parents to Travel to US:

When you have an idea that you plan to get parents to US, couple of things you have to plan are

  • Parents Passports: Apply for Passport to your parents if you have not done so.  Depending on the country plan for the passport based on how much time it takes. If you are from India, in the past it used to take 3 to 6 months, now with outsourcing to TCS, you can get passport in little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes of Tatkaal, if it is emergency and you can get you passport as soon as 7 days, but you have to pay extra fee. Check out the passport application website for details. We have an article on applying for Passport Renewal in India, it should give some idea.
  • Bank Savings for Sponsorship: Make sure you save some good amount totalling up to $10,000 dollars or more to cover their expenses. It is advised to start saving 3 months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting in bank. There is no hard fast rule. Just an advice.

Step by Step process for Applying for B2 Visitor Visa for Parents or Anyone :

1. Employment letter from your H1B sponsor/ Current employer :  You need to get an employment letter verifying your current H1B visa employment, indicating your salary and other stuff. Typically employer knows this stuff and they will give you the letter. They may ask for your parents passports and sometimes the appointment letter of interview. Depending upon the employer rules and regulations. Some employers are quick and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

F1 Student – Graduation Invitation : If you are F1 Student inviting for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like F1 Visa copy, I-94, I20 and Graduation invitation letter to your parents.

2. Get Scan copy of Parents passports:  You will need copy of your parents’ passports with all the information that is on the passport when you book the appointment online. You may ask them and get it item by item, but you may end up with mistakes. Best way to it is ask for scan copy for Parents passports. Ask your parents or anyone to send this to you. Your employer may ask for copy of Passports for giving the employment verification letter. So, it is easy if you get scan copies of parents’ passports.

3. Booking Visa stamping appointment for your parents: You need to book visa appointment at US embassy/ consulate for getting B2 Visa stamping to travel to US. In India, depending on the state you belong to, you will have to choose the consular office. Unless, your parents have access to internet and  are familiar with the process, you might want to book the appointment and fill up the application and other forms, etc.  If you are booking, make sure you have 15 days before from the day you are booking appointment. Because, you will need to get your documents straightened and send them on time.   To book visa appointment, the first step is to fill out DS-160 form.

  •  Fill out DS-160 Form:   You will need to create separate DS-160 applications / profiles for both of your parents or group, if you are applying as group. When you are filling out the first DS-160 form at the end, when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to Thank you page and on that page you will have an option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • You need to fill out the DS-160 form carefully. Check out the article on How to fill out DS-160 form  to get some idea.  Below are the links for relevant links for DS-160 form. 
  • Parents Visa booking Native Language vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, I suggest you choose preferred local language that your parents are familiar with.  Most US embassies give you that option to choose the local language. For instance, in India, you can choose interview language  such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, it is better to choose native language rather than English, so that they are comfortable and communicate clearly when asked by Visa Officer.
  • Filling up the forms and What you should fill : Unless your parents are familiar with internet and online process of filling up forms,  you may want to consider filling up all the forms. It may be a good idea, if we do it because, we know what we are doing and we are sponsoring them.  Again, it is your preference. If you are filling forms at the end in DS-160, there is a section on ‘Sign and Submit page’, there you should fill out your details as third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You can check the DS-160 FAQs ( link above under fill out DS-160), it talks about it. Check out user discussion on this 

4. Bank Account Verification/ Balance Status letter : You will need to go to your primary bank where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Typically  Chase does it instantly. For Bank of America or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

5. Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797 ). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.

If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.

6. Invitation Letter : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It legally supports your parents intent to come to US and  you are inviting them to visit. Download sample copies below.

7. Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents.

8. ( Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. I have used this form, when I was sponsoring visa for my parents in 2008. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website

9. How to send and What all to send: Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. I used DHL as it was cheaper and it reached in 3 working days. It cost me around $60.

Parents US Visa Documents Checklist for B2 Visitor Visa :

  • Copy of work visa approval  notice ( H1B, L1 – Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  (You can print it at DHS CBP I-94 website)
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from last 6 months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of last year Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if applicable )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

If applying B2 Visitor Visa for in-laws ( Mother-in-law, Father-in-law) below documents are required:

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience missing the documents of in-laws.

Sample Documents Templates to Apply for Parents US Visitor Visa from Sponsor:

Below are some of the templates that were used by me.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Additional Supporting documents Checklist by Parents for Visa Interview.

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation.  Sample checklist of additional documents you may include are :

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.


Health Insurance for Parents : Having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in USA, so that it does not dent your financial situation with fat medical bill. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all  you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule. You can check out  some experiences like Parents US Visa Stamping Experience -Telugu  and  English Stamping Experience US Parents Visa  .

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important  ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles

Comments ( 1,596 )

  1. anniyan

    Please help with reaching the number on this petition which is very helpful… We just have 10 days…

  2. Arjya


    As discussed in the article I don’t find a “Application prepare by” section. Can anyone let me know which sections is it? And if I don’t put my name in it will there be any questions for my parents attending the interview?


    1. Animesh


      it is there on the last page, once you complete the review of filled DS160 and reach to sign and submit. Before you sign and submit on the same page you need to fill Application prepare by section.

  3. Shoma

    Hello Admin,

    My Mother along with siblings want to visit US. They are not my dependents. They earn well in India. My spouse is on H1b and I am on H4 visa. Currently we don’t have a good amount in our bank account & neither we have good credit score. They will sponsor all their expenses themselves. Should we apply their tourist visa in few months or should we wait for another year for clearing our dues? Due to some personal stuff they want to visit this year itself. Next year it may not be possible for them.


  4. Rahul Saxena


    I am on h1B and applying for B2 visa for my single mother. She is living alone in india and not working currently. She take tutions but no pay slips and employment letter. She doesn’t have any income in india. But she has a good bank balance as i am sending her money from usa.

    Now what documents she can show for proving ties to india. She have 75K in FD and he have a house on her name.

    Please help me guys. we need her asap.

    1. Vijay

      As long as you have balance in your bank account, no issue on financial stand point. The above post has all required information and check lit. of not applicable just ignore and get other documents.

  5. anniyan

    Please sign this petition.
    Time is running out. It would be really helpful.


    Hi, I am applying for B2 visa for my mom and sister. They live separate, sister is married and lives with her husband, and both will have separate financials and documents. Can I still request their interview together, and have my mom as primary and sister as dependant? I plan to sponsor them both. Or should I just create 2 profiles for them and ask for separate interviews ? Thank you, would really appreciate your help.

  7. mak

    Hi Guys,

    W2 has social security number init, it is safe to share that.
    If W2 is misplaced or somebody else get the information from W2 might miss use it.


    1. administrator


      Your concerns are valid. You can take a copy of W-2, put black/white ink over your SSN and then send it to your parents. The consulate doesn’t care what your SSN is, so it should be ok to mask it.

  8. Tarun

    Hey guys,
    I planning to apply for b2 (tourist visa) and my age is 21. I m going to taking admission in india college. Actually i want to ask that what stronge ties i can describe to get visa ?

  9. Devi


    You are doing really a commendable job helping Indians. Good job

    Coming to my query, one of close relative is doing MS in Mechanical. The prson is telling the parents that except IT or research especially mechanical jobs are less and first preference is given to citizens or green card holders than offering H1B visa. Could be true since in one of your articles u mentioned that higher qualified people may be rejected because of minimum wage /salary policy, and in Mechanical field, diploma or a degree holder is enough for most jobs.

    What will you advise for such person? Do another MS or pursue Doctoral program or keep working as intern ??

    1. administrator


      Thanks for the compliment. The service is for all immigrants and not just Indians 🙂

      If the person is doing MS in Mech, then he should be able to receive OPT later on; and being in Engineering he should be able to get 36 months of OPT. This should give him enough time to gauge the job markets in his area of expertise and then decide what to do.

      Even though core industry doesn’t pay as handsomely as IT, still there are H-1 jobs available there. But I agree, it is easier to find IT jobs in H-1 than in core industry.

      1. Grace

        Hi this grace I’m ASEAN pilipina I live now in USA but my husbond American citizen he want to invite my parents in the Philippines to come in USA what online I start to start the ducomento of them

  10. Shubhangi saraf

    I am a us citizen and have come to live in now. My parents wish to visit the US for tourism. How can this be done?

    1. administrator

      Shubhangi saraf,

      Process is similar to what has been outline above. They need to appear for B-1/2 visa stamping along w/ documents mentioned above.

      1. Shubhangi Saraf

        Sorry i see my mistype… I am a US citizen and I LIVE in INDIA now, housewife. My parents wish to visit the US for tourism. How can this be done?

        1. administrator

          Shubhangi Saraf,

          Process is still the same. DS-160 form asks if any near relative lives in US. If you are residing in India, then that doesn’t need to be mentioned there. If there is any other relative in US, then that needs to be mentioned.

          They will have to show social, financial times to India. They can show property, assets in India in their name and name the children that are settled in India.

          If they have an itinerary prepared, then they should carry that and be ready to explain how they would take care of the expenses.

  11. Arjya

    I am in the process of getting visitor visa for my parents. There is a mismatch of my father’s last name on his passport. The spelling of on my passport for my father’s last name is slightly different than the spelling on his passport. During the application of my father’s passport we consulted with the Passport Officer(Seva Kendra Head) and he said as they are senior citizens it won’t be a big problem. I am planning to schedule an interview for them in the Kolkata Consulate. Can you suggest what can I do to avoid this? Any kind of affidavit I can make to show the visa officer that both the spellings used and it is one and the same person.

    1. administrator

      In our case, my mother’s last name was completely different from passport and her name on my passport, it did not create any issue for us. If you are worried, you can apply for re-issue of the passport with the respective change and then go for stamping. As I said, my experience had been fine, you can take a chance and try once I guess.

  12. Sarathy

    I am in US for last 3 years with H1 Visa. Planning to invite my parents to US and have already booked the visa interview.
    My father is working as a compounder in a small hospital and he doesnt get any payslip for his salary. Is it ok if he just get a letter from the hospital for his employment proof? What other documents he should get if a letter is not sufficient?

    Also,my father doesnt have any property on his name in india but has bank account and a fixed deposit on his name. Can you please clarify whether the bank account statement for 6 months would be fine or i should get any more documents?

    Thank you!

    1. administrator


      Yes, get the employment letter from the hospital with contact details of supervisor or contact person mentioned.

      As for financial documents, do the best you can. If there is no property, then carry the bank statements and FD certificates. It is up to officer’s discretion whether to consider it good enough for visa approval or not.

      1. Sarathy

        Hi Saurabh,

        I’m sponsoring my parents tourist visa. How much balance that i should keep in father’s bank account in india? Is there any minimum limit ?


        1. administrator


          There is no minimum balance requirement. Beside, I think they would like to look at 3-6 months of statements to see if the amounts have been inflated for the purpose of stamping or not.

          1. Sarathy

            Hi Saurabh,

            Bothering you with one more question..

            My mother lost her index finger and middle finger(right hand) in an accident few years back. I heard from few people that it might be a problem as she would not be able to give the finger prints for her right hand. Is that true ? Should we take any additional medical documents related to this? Can you please clarify ?

            Thanks again for your help.

          2. administrator


            I am pretty sure they would have some mechanism to handle such cases. They may annotate the file to mention that some fingers are missing. Here is what I found for US consulate in Japan.

            You can email us travel docs and ask, but I don’t think it would be a deal breaker. If she has medical documents related to that injury she can carry them.

  13. Justinleang

    I want to immigrant my mom to live with me and my children in US . I read some information online about form I-130 , K-3 and K-4 . I have many question. Is Form I-130 is K-3 case application? While my grandma immigrants case is processing, can I use k-4 application for her to come and stay with us in The state and waiting until I-130 approved ?? Because my mom is alone . I want her to come and stay with us faster.

  14. Alexxing98

    I want my grandma visit my mom in US . My grandma is 70s years old . She doesn’t have job , but she has two houses for renting . Her balance in bank account is around $150,000 . I Collected all needed documents for grandma, and My mom sent me her invitation letter for grandma and her tax report too . I’m afraid that my grandma won’t get the visa , because people said embassy is afraid that she won’t come back due to no son or old relative living with her beside me her grandson . My mom is now US citizens and she lives in WI which is a very cold state .


    My son is in USA on L1 visa. He wants to invite us (my self and wife) on B1/B2 visa. There is one problem. My son uses surname whereas we do not use and simply have single name in passport with surname blank. How to overcome this problem during the visa interview. My son’s passport contains my name with surname.

    1. administrator

      MAN MOHAN,
      You have two options.
      1. As you plan to go for travel, you can use it as it is and put in FNU in the first name and use your name in Last name field. You will have visa issued with the same.
      2. You can get your passport re-issued with the correct surname and then apply as needed.

      It is not a big deal, many of the people have blank surname field. Read FNU issue – Solution

    2. administrator

      MAN MOHAN,

      You will run into FNU issues – visa stamp will have First Name as FNU (First Name Unknown) and Last Name as your given name. Did you think about updating the name in passport to what your son has mentioned in his passport, especially if that is how you are known as today.

      Even if you don’t update the name in the passport, it should be fine. In DS-160 form mention your name + surname as other names used by you. If VO has doubts, he would ask and you can clarify.

  16. Aaliya Syed

    Couple of weeks back I had posted my question and got the answer for that. Just wanted to let you know that my mothers visa was approved today. Thank you guys for all the assistance and answering our questions.

    I am not sure if you can answer this question. Does anyone have any idea how to book the flight tickets? As I want my mom to visit me during my due date to help me with my labor and see the new born.

    I want her to stay with us for 6 months. Any idea on booking flight tickets for 6 months duration?

    1. administrator

      Aaliya Syed,

      Congrats on the approval.

      You can book the flight online. You can go to sites like expedia, orbitz to compare rates and then book it from there or directly from the airline. You can book return flight if the return date is available for selection.

      If you are paying by credit card, make sure you contact the airline after the booking to verify the credit card. At times, the airline expects the credit card to be present at check-in counter during departure for verification. So call them and make sure your mother doesn’t have to do that.

      And you can avail wheelchair option if this is the first time she is traveling. The airport staff will guide her through the check-in, immigration, customs etc.

      Let me know if you have any other questions.

  17. Vijay

    I must thank Redbus for helping many visa related question over the period on my L1… converting to H1 and my parents Visitor Visa.

    I have below clarification on my parents Visit.

    They came to US in June1st 2016and their I94 validity till Nov 24th. However they have plan to go back in Sep 22. Can they travel back again in Nov 2016? Will there be any rule to have minimum period before entering on visitor visa?

    1. administrator


      On B-1/2, one should not spend more than 6 months inside US on revolving 12 month period. In your case, they would stay for around 4 months and then plan to return in Nov. This falls into gray area and would be PoE officer’s discretion. If questioned, they can request that they want to spend only couple of months more as their previous visit was cut short due to personal reasons.

      Even if they are granted I-94 duration of 6 months in Nov, do not stay more than 2 months so that they don’t go over 6 month threshold.

  18. vinod

    Thanks for the excellent piece of information. Right now I am in the US with F1 visa, and my brother wanted to come to visit me. Could you please tell me the process? how to apply? and what are the documents that he needs to show? and how much of saving we need to show? how many days will it take for him to get the visa? how longer he can stay here ?
    Please help me out


    1. administrator

      You can send an invite letter for him to visit you. He needs to apply for Visitor visa by himself and just use your invite letter and your college I20 details maybe. As you are still a student, you may not able so sponsor his trip. Typically, it is very common for siblings or family to visit US for Graduation. Your graduation would be a great occasion for the invite and will make the life of visa stamping smoother. Process is just like above, he would need to do it by himself for visitor visa. Usually one can stay up to 6 months during visit, if they get B2 visa.

  19. Anusha

    Hi Saurabh,
    I got married 2 months ago. My husband is working in US with h1 visa. I wanted to apply for h4 visa, the next available date is October 2,2016. I already have a b2 visa. Can I go on b2 visa for time being and come back to India in October for h4 stamping? Will they question me on my visit during visa interview?

    1. administrator


      You already have B-1/2 stamped, correct? In that case, you can come to US on that visa for few months and then return to India to get H-4 stamped.

      You may be asked at PoE about the purpose of visit. You can say that you want to spend sometime w/ husband and then return to home country. This can go either way as the officer may determine that H-4 is the correct visa for you and not B-1/2.

      I don’t think they would ask about B-1/2 trips when appearing for H-4 interview, as long as you don’t stay for more than 3-4 months on B-1/2.

  20. Rahul

    Thanks for your blog. This is helpful.
    Just a note : You mentioned several times – “If parents are not well educated.”

    Education has nothing to do with speaking english or filling US forms online.
    My parents have masters degree but in Native language. I may go with native language interview option – since they might not get the american accent.

    It offended me a little ….. but thanks anyways. Good Job !

    1. administrator

      Never realized that, apologies. What you said makes sense, I have updated the article. Cheers ! Thanks for correcting.

    2. MomDadVisitor

      Hi ,
      Please help me.

      I am from India and I am working in the USA on H1B VISA. I want to apply B2
      (visitor) visa for my parents but I have a situation ( as below) where I
      need your inputs.
      All my father’s documents have different last name “ABC” (his mother’s
      maiden name) than his original surname(which is not there on any of his
      documents). Whereas his original surname “XYZ” is carried into all my
      documents including my passport.

      Recently my parents got their passports. Since the documents required for
      applying passport are carrying his official last name(my father’s mom’s
      maiden name), my dad got his official surname “ABC” on his passport. So now
      the last name for my dad is different in his passport and my passport.

      No issue with my mom’s passport though. Her last name and my last name (
      i.e., my dad’s actual surname) are same in our passports.

      Can you please let me know :

      1. If it is an issue for my parents’ visitor visa because my surname is
      different from my dad’s in the passports?
      2. What are the corrective measures to be taken to overcome this problem? Do you think if my husband provides the supporting documents, that solves my problem?
      3. Also, my passport is about to expire in two more months from now. Will
      it be an issue at the time of visa interview for my parents’ visitor visa

      Thank you!

  21. Hardik Thakkar

    Hi This is Hardik.

    I just want to check few things about my parents visa here.

    I am working in USA from last 1.5 years and working as full-time employee on H1B and also have enough amount in my bank account (20k). Actually biggest point I am thinking here that my parents are physically handicapped and they are not able to walk, no other physical conditions.

    They need someone’s support. Is there any special documents do they require to prove their physical condition? I have heard that there are some chances where physically handicapped people’s visa were rejected. Is it true?

    Can you please help me here.

    1. administrator

      Hardik Thakkar,
      Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the situation you are describing and what they would ask. You may email embassy asking for the details if you need to specify anything or provide during interview. In general, US policies are meant to be equal chances for everyone irrespective of their physical condition, gender orientation or origin. Wish, I could add more.

  22. Lang

    We are expecting our first baby, I’m not working presently and just got to d U.S 4 months ago (green card). How do I invite my mom to visit and witness my child birth process as its going to be her first grandchild? Both my mum and dad are capable of sponsoring this trip. Ps my husband works and has been in d U.S for 5yrs now (green card) he’s about filing for citizenship too.

    1. administrator


      The article describes how to invite them. As you are Green Card holders and not visa holders, you can send copy of green card instead of visa/petition copies.

  23. Mohana Ramaswamy

    My Parents are going for B2 Visa stamping this month. Is it mandatory to have their marriage certificate. They do not have that document. All that they have is their marriage invitation car from 1972. Is that sufficient and what other supporting documents do they need?

    1. administrator

      Mohana Ramaswamy,

      It is ok to not have marriage certificate. Does your passport has their names mentioned as parents? Do they have each other’s names mentioned as spouse in their passports?

      1. Mohana

        Thanks for the response Saurabh, Yes i have their names on my passport and their passports have spouse names mentioned.

  24. Kannan

    Hi Saurabh,

    Thank you so much for a nice post.

    I am in US on L1A Individual Visa and my company is applying for L2 Visa for my Wife and Daughter. I reached US 25 days back (06-May-2916) and received only one pay check in my account. Hence I don’t have a much supportive financial records in BOFA account I need to apply for a Visitor Visa for my mum, as my dad is not there to take care of her in India. Is it a good time to apply for her B2 Visa now? or Do you want me to wait for 1 month to apply her Visa? How to justify my financial background if I apply it now?

    In case if her Visa gets approves, I would like to apply for her B2 visa extension so that she can stay with us for more then 6 Months Till 1 Year. Basically I am trying to make her to stay with me in US as long as law can allow to do so.

    Please help me,

    Thanks in advance.


    1. administrator


      I would suggest that she applies for B-2 after you have received at least one paycheck. You can then send copy of paycheck and bank statement to support her B-2 stamping. She should show paycheck copy first and only if officer specifically asks for bank statement, she should provide that.

      B-2 extension can be tricky as you need to provide a reason. Assuming B-2 is extended for another 3 months, she would have to leave US and stay outside US for at least 6 months before re-entering US. The PoE officer may question why she is visiting US so frequently – she stayed for 9 months on initial B-2 and now returning to US soon after her 6 month cool-off is satisfied. Be careful when going this route.

  25. Biplob

    At first thank you a lot for such an altruistic website.

    My sister is a US citizen and applied for my parent for I-130 purpose. She is pragnent for three months and thinking to apply for my mom to visit her to take care her at time of labor. Could she apply for B2 visa for mom? Does so, is there any complication will arise in the way to I-130 file processing if she apply for B2 ?
    or as she applied for my mom at I-130 purpose, is there any advantage, my mom will have with getting PR early if she stayed at US or will she able to stretch her B2 visa duration?

    Another question, My father is a stroke patient and as my mother willing to stay here for take care of him, if I (I’m her brother) applied to visit her instead of my mother, will it be very hard to obtain visa for me ? I’m preparing(doing GRE, TOEFL etc) me for post graduation at US university and willing to apply for fall’17 session. If I able to go there now, is there any problem will arise with my visa application for up coming August-17 study purpose approach ?

    Thank your for your great patience to hear me such length.

    Please advise.

    1. administrator


      This could be a tricky situation. I-130 is an immigration petition and needs to be declared on DS-160 form that needs to be completed for tourist visa. As tourist visa is a pure non-immigrant visa, a pending immigration petition may impact the outcome of tourist visa. If you want, she can still go ahead and give it a try; but remember to mention the I-130 details in the DS-160 form.

  26. Sahil

    Hi saurabh,
    We are expecting first baby,so excited,but so confused how to get my mother in law here,which is better?visiting visa or care taker visa(or is there any so called care taker visa at all?)there is rumore of getting denyed for caretaker visa, coz of high unemployment in the state,and if she come once in these visa how can we apply for her permanent residency?
    We are both green card holder not a citizen yet

    1. administrator


      Congrats on the pregnancy. Your MIL will have to go for visitor’s visa, which if approved will allow her to stay for up to 6 months in US at a stretch. She would then have to leave US or file for extension. General rule is that she should not stay inside US for more than 6 months in revolving 12 month period.

      How far away are you guys from becoming US citizens? After that, getting her family based green card should be easy and fast (say within a year).

      1. Sahil

        Thanks,I am planning to apply for the citizenship,within two months but she jst moved here in fiancé visa on March 2014,got her green card at the same time,how long will it take for her to get the citizen,and will it effect in anyway to apply for her mum PR if we get her here in visiting visa this time,
        Thank you

        1. administrator


          For citizenship, she needs to be a GC holder for 5 years. After that, she can apply for her citizenship.

          In such a scenario, she should go for visitor’s visa.

  27. JM

    Hi, I am getting married in 3 months and would go to US for the first time after my wedding as my would-be is working there. I dont have my birth certificate as it was not recorded but I do have my passport and other school / college docs. Will it be a problem in getting spouse visa and later a tourist visa for my mom?

    1. administrator


      It would be ok to get dependent visa and later tourism visa for your mother, even though you don’t have birth certificate. However, if you and your spouse have plans to file green card in future, then this document would be needed when the time arrives.

  28. Anusha

    Currently I have a 10 years b1/b2 visa which I have applied for visiting my cousins last year. I got married recently and my husband is a h1 visa holder. Can I apply for h4 vis? If yes what will be the status of my current b2 visa?

    1. administrator


      You can appear for H-4 visa stamping, which would result in two possibilities –
      1. The officer will leave B-1/2 visa intact
      2. The officer will cancel B-1/2 w/o prejudice as you have been approved for H-4 which is a dual intent visa

      It is officer’s discretion as to what happens to B-1/2. As long as you have H-4 visa and spouse is working on H-1, there is no need for B-1/2.

  29. ravi

    Want to invite my in-laws but my passport is expired I have applied for reissue of passport, can I go ahead with visa stamping process at the US consulate in Hyderabad or I have to wait for new passport to be obtained

    Please advise

    1. administrator


      It would be a ok for them to appear now even when your current passport has expired and renewal is in progress.

  30. Radhika Venkat

    Hello! I have H1B and planning to travel with my baby by 1st week of July. My baby is one month old. But i need to travel since my visa is expiring in September. I am planning to take my mother too with me as i need support to take care of the baby. Can i apply visitor visa for my mother in this case? I have few relatives too staying in the US if my mom needs an invite letter. What are the documents needed in case we can apply H2 for her? My mother is 58 years old and not working. Please advice. Also the last name in my passport and hers is different. Will this be a concern? do i need to update her name in my passport? i can get it done in a week if necessary.

    1. administrator

      Radhika Venkat,

      Yes, your mother can avail tourist visa B1/2 and go to US on that visa. Were you in US previously on H-1 or is this your first trip to US on H-1? What visa is your spouse on?

      1. Radhika Venkat

        Hello Saurabh,
        Thanks for the reply!! This is the first time I am travelling to the US.. My spouse is on H4.. But will not be joining me immediately because of his current job.. Kindly let me know the procedures to apply for tourist visa.. Thank you!

        1. administrator

          Radhika Venkat,

          If you are just moving to US, it may be better if you go there first, stay and work for couple of months and then invite your mother to US.

          At this point, your mother has no one in US (as you have never traveled to US), and it may be difficult to get her tourist visa approved.

  31. Ashish


    I am planning to call my in Laws in Mid of June 2016 and my Parents in End of June 2016. Will there be any issues if they go for Visa interview within a difference of 1 week of each other?


    1. administrator

      It should not really matter. Dont worry too much. If you are sponsoring their entire trip, make sure you have enough funds to support them and send the same to your in-laws and parents.

  32. Aaliya Syed

    My younger sister are sponsoring my mom to visit us in USA. We have all the documents ready to be mailed to her. I wanted to know if we have to sign each documents before mailing it to my mom.
    For example: Should I sign my bank statement, ID proof, payslips?

    1. administrator

      Aaliya Syed,

      If you can then sign all the documents. If not, mention in the letter what all supporting docs are enclosed from your side.

  33. Koushik Das

    Hello Kumar,

    One question- In my last page of passport, my mother’s name doesn’t have her middle name mentioned (like “abc xyz”). But in my mother’s passport it has full name (including middle name) like “abc mno xyz”. First and Last name are matching properly but no middle name.
    So does it make any difference?
    Though i will mention full name in both invitation letter or cover letter. still are they gonna see or scrutiny my last page information with parents passport whether its matching or not?

    1. administrator

      Koushik Das,
      I think, it should be fine. Yes, use the full name as it appears in passport. Well, I think it should not matter.

      1. Raquel

        Hello. Kumar, I want to get a visa b2 for my mom, I’m Citizens of the United States. And getting married in few months .. I have a 5 years old I own a good business here, but my mom she never work and does not have any property. So you think I ll be able to get a visa for her.. and for my sister she has a weeding services business in my country Dominican Republic.. plus can you tell me where I can find the form I 797.. Thank you..

        1. administrator

          You can apply and sponsor B2 visa for your mother, it is hard to say if it is guaranteed…it is always up to the visa officer discretion. You can mention that you are sponsoring the trip and supply the financial proof documents for the same. All we can do is hope for the best. Check with the local consular or embassy office website in the home country, where your mother lives for the detail process and forms, etc.

      2. Prasanna

        Hi Kumar,

        Me and my sister are planning to sponsor our mom and dad for tourist visa at the same time. Is it possible to have both me and my sister as sponsors for our parents?

        1. administrator


          Maybe prepare a joint letter. State in the letter that you and your sister want to invite your parents and include both yours and sister’s details. Sign the letter and give it to your sister for signature; and then send it to the parents.

          I assume you both will be sending your recent payslips and bank statements to show that you can support them. If you are living in different cities and VO asks about dual sponsorship then your parents can reply that at your location, you would help paying for expenses; while at sister’s place she would etc.

          1. Prasanna

            Thanks Saurabh for replying. Me and my sister are living in different states and if my parents come, they will be going back and forth between two states. I have a another question, Who should my parents put as a sponsor in DS-160 form since they can only enter one person info? Does it even matter if they put either me instead of my sister as a sponsor?

          2. administrator


            It can be either. There is no correct answer to this question. You can mention the name of the person where they would land first, or the person who is more financially stable.

  34. chitra


    we are going to apply b2 visa for both my parents and in laws. i have some doubts please fix it

    1. In my father’s case he was doing land brokerage and he doesn’t have a permanent income. And also they doesn’t have any property.
    2. In my father in law’s case he was doing chit fund business in home and he doesn’t have a proper documents.

    My doubt
    1.What do i mention in the working information?
    2.We are going to sponsor them, can we sponsor both at same time?

    please help!
    Thanks in Advance

    1. administrator

      1. I am not sure about the exact options. There should be options for self-employed business, you may select that.
      2. You may sponsor at the same time, you will need to show enough funds for the same.

  35. Kreeks


    I am on H1 and i am planning to apply visa for my parents. However, my mother’s passport would be expiring in April 2017. If i apply for their visa now, would my mom get a visiting visa only till April 2017 or would it be for the entire duration of 10 years which is normally the case.

    1. administrator

      It is up to the discretion of the Visa officer. Usually, the visa is given for 10 years, despite the expiry. As the passport is almost under 1 year to expiry, you should consider re-issue of the passport and then apply for passport.

  36. AKS

    I am on h4 visa and studying here. I am graduating and i wanted to invite my parents to attend my graduation? So, my question is:
    1. Being on h4 visa can i call my parents on visiter visa b1/b2 to attend my graduation ceremony?
    2. What documents i need?

    Please reply soon!
    need answers badly..


        1. administrator


          If the parents are supporting their own trip, then you don’t need to send any financial documents. If not, send copy of 3 most recent bank statements and include in the invitation letter that you will take care of their lodging and daily expenses.

          1. AKS

            thank you so much for the information. My parents got the visa.

            I have one more inquiry. I am applying b1/b2 visa for my brother also. he is engineer but handling my dad business. Having good bank balance also. but the business is on my dad’s name. can you please tell me what documents we need for him to prepare. He is 28 year old.

          2. administrator


            Nice to know that the parents received the visa. As for brother, it is ok to tell that he is actively involved in business which is owned by the father. That’s the typical arrangement of a family run business. If he is employed as engineer as well, then he should inform that too.

            In the end, he needs to be able to convince that he is not a potential immigrant and has enough financial and social ties w/ India.

  37. Saptharishi

    Hi Saurabh,

    My father(works in Southern railways) is getting retired by May 31 st , is it possible for me to apply visa before that without NOC(No Objection Certificate) ?
    Is it possible for me to get Visa by June 1 st week ?

    1. administrator


      Can he get at least an approved leave of absence of letter? That can be used in lieu of NOC. BTW, what’s the reason for not having NOC?

      I am not sure what the current visa slot availability is. But if he appears for interview and its successful, the stamped passport should be received within a week.

      1. Saptharishi

        Thanks for the response Saurabh ,

        There are two primary reasons why we are not able to get NOC ,

        1) The process for getting NOC takes more than 4 weeks and need lots of follow ups.
        2) My Parents have been to Saudi once , by that time they hadn’t requested for NOC as they were not aware of the process , so if we request for NOC now , we are afraid , if the officials might raise questions about the previous travel.

        While filling the DS-160 form is it possible to give the retirement date in future ?

        I am trying to raise Visa for them by April 3rd week , so we will have ample time for visa processing and approval.

        My father gets retired by May 31st .

        And by June i am planning to schedule for the Visa interview.

        Going by this time line , i am applying for the visa after my dad has actually retired , but while preparing DS 160 – he is still an employee of central government.

        That’s my confusion whether there will be a problem during interview or is it fine for me to proceed with having the retirement date mentioned in future while preparing DS 160 form.

        Please let us know your thoughts on this ….

        1. administrator


          If he would attend the interview after he has retired, then you can submit it with information which would be true on interview date.

    2. Rupa

      Hi Saptharishi

      Quick clarification of photographs. are pictures now taken at embassy ?
      Need any digital photo to be uploaded ?


  38. Jeevan

    Need help with I-134 form. Can some one please tell me what’s best to mention in Q.11 where its asked to mention the amount, nature and duration of contribution to support the visitor’s stay.
    I am not building or painting or doing anything extra ordinary, simply, will be supporting my parents entire stay. Shall i mention this in Q.11?
    Please advise.


    1. administrator


      IMO, you should not complete I-134 form if your parents are going for B-1/2 visa stamping. This form is for immigrant visa and not for non-immigrant visa like B-1/2.

      1. Jeevan


        Really appreciate that you replied.
        I am confused now… in your article you have mentioned to fill out I-134 support form to sponsor some one for visitor visa.
        To give you some background, I am on H1 in US and would like my parents to come visit me. If i shouldn’t fill out I-134, will you be kind enough and give me some guidance on what i need to do. Thanks for all your help.


        1. administrator


          The article was written by Kumar. In my experience, I-134 is mandatory when you are sponsoring green card petition for a relative. This form is required to state that you will take care of all expenses of the relative in case the relative becomes a public charge. This is more applicable to sponsored Green Card relatives and not visiting relatives on B-1/2.

          There are lot of experiences shared where folks were not asked about this form, and just a plain invitation letter worked. If you are going to invite your uncles and aunts, will you continue to sign this document and become legally liable for their expenses in US?

          In the end, if you want to complete the form, it is up to you. But remember, if this form is submitted and your invitees become a public expense, then you will be on hook legally to pay for all the expenses.

        2. administrator

          Jeevan and Others,
          I agree with Saurabh, it was written by me quite a few years ago and I used it for my parents visa and included it based on my experience. But, the Visa officer never asked for it at their interview. Some of my friends have used it as well as backup. It is not mandatory. I have updated the article as per feedback for more clarity and have it as an optional document.

          Apologies for the confusion folks !

      2. Gary

        I’m not sure what happened to my last post. The article says I fill I-134 for the parents. But your answer contradicts. Any reason?

  39. robel

    thank u for the helpful info, abd i need an advice i came to us last september m with schiol visa, but i did not go to my college ali just asked asylum in usa, and am waiting for my work permit soon, and i realy want to bring my mom , pls advice me wt i have to do,

    1. administrator

      I suggest you speak to an immigration lawyer as your case is quite different from the ones we have here. Wish we could advise

  40. Fareeed

    My wife .son and myself got the invasion visa or graduation ceremony visa for 10years for us. But my wife is pregnant so I have to travel after one year.but how I get the visa for new born baby.

  41. Gopal

    First i would like to thank you for this excellent post for helping the visa applicants with our queries,

    I am planning to apply for Visitor VISA for my mother in law. We are expecting baby on august. I am on H1b Visa just 15 days back in US. I started working in US for same company where I was working India from 4th April 2016. Any way I am planning to start Visa process after 3 months.
    My question is : Is there any minimum duration of stay in USA to sponsor visitor visa? other than all above mentioned documents?

    Please advice..

  42. Gopinath

    First i would like to thank you for this excellent website and forum for helping the visa applicants with our queries,

    I am applying for vistor visa for both my parents. I got pretty much good idea about the documents required from my side and from my parents. I am worried about about a couple of things which I am hoping to get some help here.

    1. My father is a farmer. So he never had to file income tax. Is it a mandatory to have it or nice to have ?
    2. My parent’s property documents, such as land or house .. Is it a mandatory to have it or nice to have ?
    3. There is a printing mistake in the address in the passport. It is different in my father’s and mother’s passport.

    It says “5th cross ” in my father’s passport and “5th cross street” in my mother’s passport.
    Is it really a big deal. Should I request for change of address/correction. It will take whole lot of time to fix it.. 🙁

    Please advice..

    1. administrator


      1. Nice to have
      2. Again, nice to have
      3. Should not matter

      Financial documents are needed to show that person has financial ties with home country and is not a potential immigrant. If your parents are able to demonstrate that they plan to return to home country and not immigrant to US, then it should be fine.

  43. Prakash

    Hi – I want to bring my parents for 3-4 months to US. I have my Visa till Sep 30, 2016. I have already started my visa extension process and it will be filed by my employer by May 10, 2016. We are expecting a baby so I wanted my parents to come and stay with us . Should I wait for my H1 extn to be approved and then apply for my parents visitor visa or I can initiate it now. If I do it now, will my current I 94 expiry date of Sep 30, 2016 affect their duration of stay? I am planning to call them in August 2016 and let them stay till December 2016. I have all the required documents, financial status described in your previous posts to sponsor the visas. Please advise.

    1. administrator


      They can appear for stamping now. Your current I-94 expiration date will not impact the outcome of their stamping.

      1. Priyanka

        Hi Saurabh,

        I am in a similar position, My H1Visa is expiring on July 10 , 2016 and my parents B2 Visa interview is on June7. Will it be a problem in getting their visa accepted?
        Can my parents show my husband Visa copies in interview which has 2 year validity(in DS 160 I have given my details all places). Pls suggest.

        1. administrator


          I don’t think your I-94 expiration will impact your parent’s visa. Think about it – the best I-94 duration you can have is 3 years, yet parents can get B-1/2 for up to 10 years. They don’t issue B-1/2 tied to your I-94.

          IMO, they can go w/ your information. If extension has been applied, then submit a copy of extension receipt. Employer can also issue a letter that they plan to file extension soon and you would remain their employee in near future.

  44. Cindy

    I am going to apply visa for my parents to visit US. Currently I am a student and don’t have employer/salary. There is enough deposit in bank account. Can I apply for them?


    1. administrator

      Yes, you can. Many students invite their parents for graduation ceremony, the only thing is that they need to show funds for their travel and expenses. You would need to send them invite letter.

  45. Vidhya

    Currently I’m having h1b visa till August 31 2016. I would like to invite my parents to USA. Now if I apply visitor visa for them did they get visa.

    1. administrator


      Stamping can always run into issues. There is no sure shot way of getting the same. However, the expiration date of your visa stamp will not impact the outcome of their stamping decision.

  46. Jeeva

    I am changing job in next month and will be sponsoring my parents after that. So section 7 of form i-134 – my job details, company, income I will be providing info based on new job. I hope there is no issue/confusion since my last pay stubs and w2 will be from previous employer. Do you think I need to add another document or letter in addition to what you mentioned here?

    1. MAN MOHAN

      My son is in USA on L1 visa. He wants to invite us (my self and wife) on B1/B2 visa. There is one problem. My son uses surname whereas we do not use and simply have single name in passport with surname blank. How to overcome this problem during the visa interview. My son’s passport contains my name with surname.

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.