Parents Visitor Visa USA - Documents, Checklist, letters Templates

Process and Documents needed for Parents Visa to visit USA? B2 Visa/ Tourist visa Sample Documents

In US Immigration - Visas by KumarUpdated : 1600 Comments

One of the most frequently asked questions among friends after they start working in US and typically whenever they are expecting a baby is “What is the process for applying visa to parents to come to USA ? What documents do I need ? How do I start ?” . Also, if you are on F1 visa, you may want to invite your parents for your graduation…In any case, I was in the same boat and found information I needed from friends and other sources. This article will focus on the whole process with documents needed and what to do step by step.

Getting Started  with B2 Visitor Visa for Parents to Travel to US:

When you have an idea that you plan to get parents to US, couple of things you have to plan are

  • Parents Passports: Apply for Passport to your parents if you have not done so.  Depending on the country plan for the passport based on how much time it takes. If you are from India, in the past it used to take 3 to 6 months, now with outsourcing to TCS, you can get passport in little under 15 days.  Also, there are new schemes of Tatkaal, if it is emergency and you can get you passport as soon as 7 days, but you have to pay extra fee. Check out the passport application website for details. We have an article on applying for Passport Renewal in India, it should give some idea.
  • Bank Savings for Sponsorship: Make sure you save some good amount totalling up to $10,000 dollars or more to cover their expenses. It is advised to start saving 3 months before and accumulate steadily rather than just borrowing money and putting in bank. There is no hard fast rule. Just an advice.

Step by Step process for Applying for B2 Visitor Visa for Parents or Anyone :

1. Employment letter from your H1B sponsor/ Current employer :  You need to get an employment letter verifying your current H1B visa employment, indicating your salary and other stuff. Typically employer knows this stuff and they will give you the letter. They may ask for your parents passports and sometimes the appointment letter of interview. Depending upon the employer rules and regulations. Some employers are quick and some are slow in doing this. Plan well and make sure you have it with you.

F1 Student – Graduation Invitation : If you are F1 Student inviting for Graduation, you need to send your current status details like F1 Visa copy, I-94, I20 and Graduation invitation letter to your parents.

2. Get Scan copy of Parents passports:  You will need copy of your parents’ passports with all the information that is on the passport when you book the appointment online. You may ask them and get it item by item, but you may end up with mistakes. Best way to it is ask for scan copy for Parents passports. Ask your parents or anyone to send this to you. Your employer may ask for copy of Passports for giving the employment verification letter. So, it is easy if you get scan copies of parents’ passports.

3. Booking Visa stamping appointment for your parents: You need to book visa appointment at US embassy/ consulate for getting B2 Visa stamping to travel to US. In India, depending on the state you belong to, you will have to choose the consular office. Unless, your parents have access to internet and  are familiar with the process, you might want to book the appointment and fill up the application and other forms, etc.  If you are booking, make sure you have 15 days before from the day you are booking appointment. Because, you will need to get your documents straightened and send them on time.   To book visa appointment, the first step is to fill out DS-160 form.

  •  Fill out DS-160 Form:   You will need to create separate DS-160 applications / profiles for both of your parents or group, if you are applying as group. When you are filling out the first DS-160 form at the end, when you select ‘Email Confirmation’ on the confirmation page, you will go to Thank you page and on that page you will have an option to create a family or group application, you can choose this option so that some of the information from your first application will be copied over and imported. Of course, you can change those details as needed.
  • You need to fill out the DS-160 form carefully. Check out the article on How to fill out DS-160 form  to get some idea.  Below are the links for relevant links for DS-160 form. 
  • Parents Visa booking Native Language vs English: If your parents are not comfortable with English, I suggest you choose preferred local language that your parents are familiar with.  Most US embassies give you that option to choose the local language. For instance, in India, you can choose interview language  such as your mother tongue like  Telugu, Tamil, Gujarati, etc. If you feel your parents are not fluent in English, it is better to choose native language rather than English, so that they are comfortable and communicate clearly when asked by Visa Officer.
  • Filling up the forms and What you should fill : Unless your parents are familiar with internet and online process of filling up forms,  you may want to consider filling up all the forms. It may be a good idea, if we do it because, we know what we are doing and we are sponsoring them.  Again, it is your preference. If you are filling forms at the end in DS-160, there is a section on ‘Sign and Submit page’, there you should fill out your details as third party and then inform your parents regarding the endorsement of the application by them and help them click on sign and submit button. You can check the DS-160 FAQs ( link above under fill out DS-160), it talks about it. Check out user discussion on this 

4. Bank Account Verification/ Balance Status letter : You will need to go to your primary bank where you have your longest standing account and the bank which has your savings and ask them to give you a Bank Verification letter for Visa. Typically  Chase does it instantly. For Bank of America or others they make take couple weeks or more. Do this in advance.  All they do is, give a letter saying when the bank account was opened and average running balance since opening.  It is just a simple letter. If possible, get the visiting card of the bank manager( not necessary, more documentation the better). Check out  Sample Bank Verification Letter for Parents Visa

5. Copies of W2 Form, Pay stubs, etc : You will need copies of W2 Forms for all the years, last three pay stubs or salary statements, Last three bank statements, Copy of your passport, I-94, H1B visa approval ( I797 ). This is extra piece of documentation to be given to your parents to avoid any issues. This is like an optional, I strongly suggest that you carry these documents.

If you are a student on F1 visa and not working, you may not have pay stubs, so do not worry about it. Send whatever you have regarding your current status like I20, etc.

6. Invitation Letter : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them to visit you and sign it. It legally supports your parents intent to come to US and  you are inviting them to visit. Download sample copies below.

7. Visa officer Cover letter: It is recommended to send a cover letter with all the documentation addressing the visa officer. It just lets you keep in track of what you are sending and if visa officer needs to check, it is easier for him and more clear for our parents.

8. ( Optional ) Affidavit of Support I-134 Form: This is an optional form, which is typically filed with family based green card applications by sponsors. This is to establish that the applicant will not become public charges while in the United States. If you submit this form, you are legally signing that you take all the liability and they will not become a public charge. I have used this form, when I was sponsoring visa for my parents in 2008. You may fill, sign and send the affidavit of support to your parents.  It has some basic info. Nothing fancy and tricky out there. All you are telling in this document is that you are going to support their entire trip.  You can Download the I-134 Form, Affidavit of Support from USCIS website

9. How to send and What all to send: Ideally, you want to print out everything and sign all the documents where you filled forms I-134 (optional), invitation letter and cover letter. Make copies of all the documents as listed above. Send originals of Employment letter and Bank letter. You can use DHL or FedEx. I used DHL as it was cheaper and it reached in 3 working days. It cost me around $60.

Parents US Visa Documents Checklist for B2 Visitor Visa :

  • Copy of work visa approval  notice ( H1B, L1 – Form I-797).
  • Copy of Passport, Visa stamped on passport.
  • Copy of I-94.  (You can print it at DHS CBP I-94 website)
  • Current Employment verification letter
  • Copy of Bank statements from last 6 months.
  • Bank Account verification/ balance letter.
  • Copies of last three salary statements/ pay slips.
  • Copies of last year Tax Returns –W2 forms ( if applicable).
  • DS forms (if you have filled it and signed the same)
  • Copy of Green Card ( if applicable )
  • Form I-134 ( Optional )

If applying B2 Visitor Visa for in-laws ( Mother-in-law, Father-in-law) below documents are required:

  • Your Spouse’s Passport
  • Spouse’s approval notice I797
  • Spouse’s Visa Copy
  • Any other supporting documents like marriage certificate to prove the relationship.
  • Spouse Birth Certificate

Thanks to Rajesh for suggesting the above after his bad experience missing the documents of in-laws.

Sample Documents Templates to Apply for Parents US Visitor Visa from Sponsor:

Below are some of the templates that were used by me.

  • Parents US Visitor Visa Invite Letter Template : You need to send an invitation letter to your parents saying that you are inviting them and also specify, if you plan to pay for their expenses when in US. We have given a sample letter, but I recommend you edit it with your own flavour and make it unique : Invitation Letter Templates for Visitor (B-2) / Parents Visa
  • Employment letter Sample Letter Template for US Parents Visa : You should also send an employment letter that tells that you are employed in your company with your designation and salary. It can be any standard employment letter. You may use : Employment letter Template for Parents Visa USA
  • Cover Letter for Visa Officer at US Consulate: It is a good idea to put in a cover letter to the visa officer listing all the documents you are sending. You may use : Cover Letter for Visa officer – Parents visa USA

These are just standard templates that you can use, no hard fast rule that it has to be in this format. We highly encourage you to use them as guideline only and create your own letters with your own flavour, so that it looks unique.

Additional Supporting documents Checklist by Parents for Visa Interview.

Fundamentally, your parents have to prove that they have enough ties in their home country, so that they would return after their trip.  Some of the ways that can be done is by good supporting documentation.  Sample checklist of additional documents you may include are :

  • Notarized documents of land/ sites, buildings ( any kind of property).
  • Bank Statements with enough balance
  • Pension / employment benefits letters, if applicable.
  • Fixed deposits, any financial related documents.
  • If there are Tax returns, then carry them as well
  • Any other documents that shows your financially strong and you will come back.

If you do not have all documents or big property back home, it is OK. No big deal. Because, you are the one in US, who is sponsoring the visitor visa for your parents. So, do not worry. Also, if your parents are older, then they are fine.


Health Insurance for Parents : Having visitors health insurance is important for parents to avoid any unforeseen health conditions, when in USA, so that it does not dent your financial situation with fat medical bill. It is always a good idea to get Health Insurance from a US vendor, who can support you. We recommend Buying Parents Insurance at Visitors Coverage – Parents Insurance as they have US support and you can compare all insurance plans.

That’s it folks…not so much complex, all  you need to do is get all the list of documents and have things rolling as per plan and schedule. You can check out  some experiences like Parents US Visa Stamping Experience -Telugu  and  English Stamping Experience US Parents Visa  .

Do you have any other ideas or documents that are important  ?  Do share your experience and thoughts.


Other Articles

Comments ( 1,600 )

  1. Tinni

    Hi all,
    I and my husband both want to sponsor my parents together. In I-34 there is no place to put Joint income if we both ( husband and wife) want to sponsor together. Could you please tell me where we should put our joint income or is there any other way to do this ?
    Thanks for you help !!

    1. administrator

      I haven’t done this myself, but I think you need to submit 2 I-134s – one on your behalf and one your husband’s behalf. I searched about this online, and that’s what most of the responses were..

  2. Shah

    Dear friends,

    My H1b get approved on April 2011. My husband is on F1 visa & we filed his COS H4 which is pending. I am planning to sponsor my Father & Mother-in-law. I have bank balance $10,000 (Chase $5000 + BOA $5000). My father & mother-in-law are retired government employee & getting their pension every month. They have enough bank balance and fix deposit in India. They have 3 child including my husband and two elder sister who are married and well set in India.

    Can anyone suggest me who can sponsor my parents?
    Me or they can become self sponsor as they have enough fund. or
    Is it possible two sponsor? like me and them self( father & mother-in-law)?

    1. administrator

      If the parents have enough funds, they can manage their own expenses; otherwise you can send the sponsorship form. I think it should be ok to say that they would be bearing flight charges but once they land in US, you guys will take care of the remaining expenses.

      1. Sadia

        Hello Saurabh,

        I have a similar case where my parents are bearing the flight charges but its understood that my husband will take care of the expenses for their stay here. Thinking that this is equal to a self sponsored trip, they filled the same in DS-160 form.
        Now does this qualify as self sponsored trip? (my father has around 2 lakhs in his account) And in this case what documents do we need to send for their VISA interview ?

        1. administrator

          No, it is not self sponsored trip. It is not just flight tickets. Their stay in America, travel within US, etc are not included. To avoid confusion, select one and go for it…They do not tell exactly how much, but you should factor in all the amount needed for travel, tickets, living, etc. See above.

          1. Sadia

            Thank you Kumar.

            So you think its best to submit documents required as per Self sponsored trip ? Also is invitation letter from my husband required here in this case, as the purpose of it is to verify that he will be bearing the expenses of my parents stay here ?

            Or do you think its better for my husband to send the necessary documents for a sponsored trip, although they filled DS-160 as Self ?

          2. administrator

            Well, all they care is there are enough funds to support the expenses for the entire trip. Depending on who work in US, it would be good to have them as sponsor and send their relevant bank statement, invite letter, etc.

  3. Sonya

    i am from india and my sister is in USA.shes a greencard holder.she will be graduating in sept so i am applying for tourist visa to attend her graduation. the problem is she hasnt got a job yet nor does she have any good balance.So my cousin brother whos a us citizen has agreed to sponsor my trip however even he doesnt have good money.His balance in his account is only 3000 dollars plus he has 3 kids who are dependent on him. He has a job as a manager and gets 50 thousand dollars per year. on the other hand i have a mnc job here, working for the past 4 years as customer service exectutive and have a salary of rs 30,000 per interview is on 19th.I guess i dont have good papers. Any comments?

    also my cousin lost his passport and doesnt have a copy of his passport but by mistake he had mentioned in his invitation letter passport is enclosed? i dont know what to do? should i tell them that i dont have his passport.? hes a citizen and i have his photocopy of his Naturalisation certificate.

    also can you confirm if all the documents from sponsor side does it need to Notarised or not??

  4. Jagan


    You have a wonderful site

    I just came to US in April 2011 on L1 visa and i now want to apply for my parents visa..I have managed to have saved > $10000 in my bank accounts . I have bank statements , paystubs etc and other documentation required. I intend to start the visa process now so that when I visit India in Oct 2011 for short visit I can schedule my parents interview . Though I intend to call them in Mar-Apr next year. I s the duration of my stay – 4 months good enough to start applying..?? everything else seems to be in place

    1. administrator

      As long as you have funds to sponsor their flight and stay, you should be fine. You should submit not only your bank statement, but also recent payslips to show your salary.

  5. Tinni

    Hi There,
    I am applying for my parents tourist visa. I have one question:
    Can me and my husband both can sponsor my parents together ?
    Can I sponsor my sister too with my parents ?

    Thanks for your help.

    1. administrator

      Yes, you both can sponsor it together and can sponsor your sister as well.

      However, each member of your family need to demonstrate strong ties to India to show that they would return to India after visiting you in US.

      1. Tinni

        Hi Saurabh,
        In I-34 there is no place to put Joint income if we both ( husband and wife) want to sponsor together. Could you please tell me where we should put our joint income or is there any other way to do this ?
        Thanks !!

        1. administrator

          I haven’t done this myself, but I think you need to submit 2 I-134s – one on your behalf and one your husband’s behalf. I searched about this online, and that’s what most of the responses were.

  6. Ashraf Pasha

    Hi all,
    I am willing to bring my parents(mom & dad) to US . I know I have to apply for B-2 Visitor Visa, and also I have to fill out the DS-160 form, but my question here is – do I need to fill 2 separate forms i.e, 1 form for mom & 1 form for dad , or is there any option to just fill 1 form for both of ’em.

    Please advice me on this,


    1. Mohamed

      You need to fill two seperate forms, one for Mom and one for your Dad. I had filled two seperate forms for my parents.


  7. kumar

    Do i need to take a seperate DD for Application Fee(RS 6580) and Service charge fee(380).
    or combined DD of RS 6960 works.

  8. Laxmi

    Hey kumar

    Hi!! I am a permanent residence here in NYC n I would love to invite my parent to visit , is it really necessary to send my tax returns forms along with my bank statements??? Please help!!!

    1. administrator

      If you are sponsoring their trip, then those documents show that you have funds to take care of their travel, boarding, leisure etc. That is why it is good to send those documents.

  9. Sandeep

    I have a question. Can me and me wife both sponsor my parents for visitor visa? if yes then do we need to fill 2 separate i-134 forms?

  10. Sumeet

    Me and wife both are working in US, should we both sponsor my parents visa, if yes do we need to separate 2 different I-134 from me and my wife?

  11. Tariq

    My parents went for visa interview last friday in Hyd, the interview went pretty good, but at end they interviwer asked for my Dad’s email Id and said “we need more details, please check your mail and respond”.
    He took both my mom and dad’s passport and gave a White Slip 221(g)

    Does anyone knows what does it mean ??

  12. sreevidya

    I see that I-134 has some Exp:05/31/2011. I am planning visa date in june for my parents. Is this form valid to carry to visa consulate?

  13. sreevidya

    Hi ,
    I see that I-134 have some Exp 05/31/2011. I am planning visa date in june for my parents. Is this form valid to carry in june to visa consulate?


  14. Sumeet

    My parents visitor visa got denied in JAN 2011 at Mumbai consulate, my father is retired and my mother is a housewive, I am planning to reapply for them as my wife got a job here recently and have started working. Also earlier my father didnt mentioned about farm and property land he has… which might have led to 214B. My qns are –
    1. As in Mumbai consulate we need to submit all document 3 days before interview, should I also attach all property affidavits and other required things?
    2. In Invite letter to consulate should I mention about their earlier denial?

    Please help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sumeet Patil

    1. administrator

      1. Yes
      2. I think there is a question in the DS 160 form that asks abou the past rejections. You need to mention past rejections as answer to that question. I don’t think you need to mention past rejections in the invitation letter (unless the letter format explicitly asks for it).

  15. Tariq

    Do my parents need 2 separate sets of documents for each of them , or shall i just send them one copy of all my documents ?
    They applying together.


    1. Satish

      Yes, I had similar doubt. Can anyone please help.
      Can I just make one set of all documents that needs to be submitted to Visa Office ? with course diff DS-160 and 134 for each parent.



    2. administrator

      Tariq /Satish,
      No, if they are attending for visa stamping together. For my parents, I have sent only one set of documents and they attended visa stamping together.

      1. Sumit

        Hello Kumar,

        I am a little confused about point 3 in the I-194 form. If I am completing the form myself for my parents, there is no need to fill anything under this point?

        Thank you.

  16. Rahul


    I am planning to call my parents/in-laws as my wife is expecting. What effect will it be in the visa interview if I mention about my wife’s pregnancy. I can even get a letter from my Dr. Will the interviewer take the case lightly? Visa was denied in Feb this year for my in-laws also I didn’t mention about the pregnancy at that time.

    Anyone had experienced this before please share.



    1. administrator

      That’s one of the common reasons for several parents to come to US. If asked, your parents/in-laws can let the officer know about the reason. More than the reason the officer would be interested in knowing if they would return or not. So showing ties to India is really important when going for B1/B2 visas.

  17. Sriganesh Sathyanaraya na


    Iam in usa from feb 2008 on R1 visa status , and my r1 visa will expire on 2013 ,iam still bachelor i dont want apply for green card because someone it will difficult to bring a spouse to US. so my question is..
    1) is their any wher the visa status can be renewed?
    2) can i apply for green card,if yes at what stage i can stop the process?

    thank u

  18. kumar

    Im on h1b and looking to sponseer my mother. I have issue with Bank statements.
    I have the pay slip for the month of March 2011 however employer delayed to deposit amount in the bank. It was deposited in April. So in April 2011 i have two different deposit , one for March and other for April. However in Bank statements it shows that i dont have any deposit in the Month of March. Will it cause any trouble, Do i need to wait for more 2 months to accumulte the proper Bank statements.

    1. administrator

      More than bank statements, it’s the payslip that matters. Send both payslips and bank statements to your mother. If asked, your mother should show the payslips first and if the officer asks for bank statements then show them. If he asks about the discrepancy then she explain the reason.

  19. Sriram P S


    I got RFE for my H1b premium. When I checked with my employer, she said that it would take 2 weeks approx to have the RFE reached and based on the due date mentioned in the RFE they will process it.

    Even for Premium processing , RFE would take that much time for reaching the employer? Also, whether the due date mentioned on the RFE had relation with premium processing?

    1. administrator

      Yes, it may take 1-2 weeks for it to reach the employer. All documents are sent through USPS, and it may take 1-2 weeks depending upon how far office is from the service center.

      They typically give a month or two for the RFE to be responded.

  20. Prashanth Diddi

    Hi, I am on H1B in US since June ‘2008. Now I want to sponsor my mother. Is my the Date of Birth certificate a mandatory document ?. Because I have one, but my mother’s name was written wrong. I am assuming that to prove the family relation… My passport & a Ration card (Government issued) were sufficient. I have also inquired about getting the new DOB certificate, but it would take way long process , bribes… etc, which my only mother may not handle.

    1. administrator

      DOB is not mandatory if there are other documents to prove the relationship. If VO asks for it, your mother can let him/her know that she doesn’t have it in her possession, and show your passport as alternate proof.

  21. Jasbir Singh

    I am in US on H1B visa since 15.11.2010. My parents, who wanted to come here for a short visit of 4 weeks, attended the visa interview. They have neither been granted nor rejected issuance of visa. Instead, they have been given a pink slip stating

    “We are unable to issue your visa at this time, as your case requires additional processing. Further, action on your case has been suspended under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and National Act until this processing is completed. Please be aware that this processing requires AT LEAST two months and we are unable to provide a more specific completion date. You are responsible for monitoring the status of your case via the US Embassy web using the case number given at the top of this page”

    I am unable to understand the implications of this letter. Grateful if you could kindly advise. The officer did not see the financial support papers sent by me from here

    1. administrator

      There is not one can comment on how it would eventually turn out to be. The consulate will do the processing now, and take their own sweet time to do so. It’s painful.

  22. Richa

    I am on H1 here and want to invite my parents from India for a trip of 6-8 weeks.
    I have couple of queries:
    1. Do they require two differet HDFC slips?
    2. Will their interview happen on an individual basis or together?
    3. Do I need to mail I-134 form or can I email them the signed copy and they can take a print out of the same?

    Thanks in advance.

    1. Rahul


      If you are inviting both your parents then you would need two different HDFC slips. One for each applicant.
      The interview will happen based on how you book. You can book interview for one of your parents and you have the option to add another person to the same schedule. This way they would go together.
      They need to carry the orignal I-134 with your signatures. Printouts don’t work, so these should be sent via physical mail.

      1. Richa

        Thanks You.

        I just found that surname is missing on my father’s passport.Should I fill all the docs according to the passport name i.e. only his first and middle name?Or should I use his full name and the authorities will take care of that.

        Anyways all other supporting docs like his financial statements,employment letter will be having his full name.

        1. Rahul

          I have seen incorrect name in passport creating issues. Would recommend if you get the name rectified first. Surprised to see all supporting documents having correct names, were the same documents submitted for passport?

    2. Ramakanth

      They need 2 separate HDFC fee and receipts. While taking appintment you have the option for adding family applicant and you can schedule same slot for both of them but the language of interview will be the same. I guess you can scan the signed I-134 and email that form, I sent all the docs by mail.


  23. swathi

    Hey I have a question…what is the process as I am a phd student here and have 2 more years for graduation. what will be the process now to bring my mom to US?

  24. Sanjeev

    One more query, i have completed the DS160 form but i couldnt schedule an appointment in the VFS website…. it says

    “Please note that this is a busy season for travel to the U.S. and because of a very large volume of applicants scheduling appointments at this time, dates are quickly getting filled. We recommend that if you are unable to schedule an appointment after a few attempts, please try the system again after some time. We continue to schedule appointments for applicants every day, and we are working to accommodate as many applicants as possible.”

    I tried many times almost the entire day but i couldn’t fix the appointment….. What shall i do to fix an appointment?

    Please reply me at the earliest…
    Also request you reply for my previous query on Visa fees.


  25. Sanjeev

    I have paid HDFC VISA fees(Rs.6440 ) on 11th Nov 2010 at Chennai India. Now i am in US and i have completed DS160 form for my mother.

    It seems the Visa fees has increased to Rs.6580. Is my payment still valid? or do i need to take a DD for (6580 – 6440) = 140 ????

    Or what is the amount do i need to take DD? Is there anything that they can pay as cash at the time of interview in Chennai?

    Also i want to know about the Rs.380 fees? do i need to take DD for this amount other the HDFC fee?

    Please detail me about the fees ASAP…


    1. administrator

      As the receipt was issued before the price change, it will still be honored by the consulate. You don’t need to submit additional fees.

      Read the release from 30th Nov

      As for the appointment date, the best thing is to try at different times of the day and towards the end and start of the week (but it’s no surety).

  26. Rahul


    My Parents-In-Law had a bad experience on Feb-1 and were denied under 214(b).

    I was trying to evaluate what went wrong and guessed few points:

    1. I had given them a print out of all my info company, designation address etc. When the interviewer asked them they looked at the paper and answered. Was this not acceptable? They are elderly persons and can’t remember everything like us.

    2. My account balance was shown as $6.5k, was this insufficient?

    3. I am currently on L1 and in the US for only 9 months. Another employer had filed H1 for me and it was denied after an RFE on Jan 21. Was this also one of the reasons?(Wondering if they had this status with them.!)

    4. How long should I wait to reapply?

    Any other thoughts on the reasons?



    1. administrator

      Did the interviewer inquired about their Indian assets and their ties w/ India?

      214b is typically issued when the officer finds the interviewees to be potential immigrants i.e. they would not return back to India.

      1. Rahul

        Hello Saurabh,

        No questions were asked about Indian assets/ties. The only question they asked was where are you going and to whom. My in-laws replied about me and other details by referring the document given by me.
        Asking no further questions they just denied the visa.


        1. administrator

          I can’t think of any other reason to issue 214b besides finding them potential immigrant. The right way would have been to ask your in-laws and then make the decision. However, at times it’s as per officer’s discretion.

          Let’s see if someone else has faced similar issue and found a resolution to it.

          1. Shweta

            we faced the same husband sponsored my parents’ VISA but it was denied…the officer didn’t ask for ties / financial status in India..and gave a booklet with reason stated as 214(B) ..not sure..if this is one of the strong reasons then they should take such info on application form itself..

  27. Ramakanth

    I have couple of questions, can anyone clarify them!
    1. Do we have any Visa issuance fee after my parents get the Visitor Visa?
    2. Do I need to send 2 copies of all the documents, one for my Mom and the other for my Dad?
    Also, I am taking appt. for English language for both of them as my Dad can be the translator for my Mom, Please clarify!

    Appreciate help!

    1. Vijay

      Hi Ramakanth,

      The only fees that needs to be paid and that is the one we pay at designated HDFC bank(Rs. 6580 + 380). There is no other fees once the visa is issued.

      You need to have a set of document for each visitor. In your case ‘yes’ both your mom and dad should carry their own sets.

      The best would be you choose your local language for your mom and then see if they agree for you dad being the translator. Why to take chances for small things. Play Safe.!


  28. Jasbir Singh

    Dear Kumar,

    I am indebted to you for providing such excellent piece of information at one place.

    One thing which is not clear to me is whether the original form I-134 (affidavit of support) duly filled and signed by son is to be sent to us in India or is it to be submitted by him the local office of USCIS and some kind of approval obtained from them. Grateful if you could clarify


    1. administrator

      Welcome. Well, you have to fill out, sign and send it to your parents in India. They will carry it along with them when they go for visa stamping. You do not have to send anything to USCIS.

  29. Vijay


    Very good article with great information.

    I have couple of things to ask. The link for I-134 doesn’t seem to be the correct, please see if it can be updated.

    Another question is, suppose I am currently on L1 and sponsor my parents, if all goes fine they get their visa stamped. Now in coming months if I shift to H1 and then my parents plan to fly, would there be any issue? If yes, how can this be handled?



    1. administrator

      Your changed visa will not raise additional questions for them during their visit. They just need to provide latest information about you (at the time of port of entry for example). Also, they should have your updated H1 documents (primarily copy of 797, your employer information)

      1. Vijay

        Thanks Saurabh,

        The latest I-134 form is available on below link:

        If you look into this new form, the last para is for Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor. The second line in this para ends with (after “as amended.) sometheing that we need to fill. If we keep the mouse over the box, it shows “Enter Relationship”. I am confused what should we enter here. Can you please suggest.



        1. administrator

          I am not sure what needs to go in there – relationship from your side, or relationship from your parents side (i.e. Son or Father).

          any ideas?

        2. administrator

          Vijay, I used older version of the form. I just check the one I used and unfortunately, it does not have anything like that….I am not sure either.

          Just an idea, not sure if it would be correct. May be you can put in ” your name, son of father name”, to be clear…

          1. Vijay

            Thanks Kumar.!

            Your suggestion seems to be fine. I read the para multiple times and assume that the first two lines which I acknowledge would be for the relationship I sponsor, so for eg. If I am sponsoring my mom/dad then I should write Son.
            I will try your idea, hope this does not hamper the stamping process.


          2. administrator

            Welcome ! Vijay, it is your discretion to use what you feel like…
            I think, you can always call USCIS or visit their office by scheduling an appointment using Infopass.

  30. Sanjeev

    Hi Kumar,
    Thanks for your help. Now i came to US and as i have mentioned about me in the previous comments.

    So i came here a month ago and i am planning to bring my Mother after 2 months as i can show 3 months bank statement.
    Is it mandatory that i should have stayed here minimum 3 months to bring my mom?
    I am planning to process her Visa in mid of FEB for the sake of 3 months or shall start processing now itself?

    Also i have started saving dollars in my account. Is it mandatory to have money only in Savings account? Because i currently have money in Checking account only.

    It seems i would get W2 forms from my employer in this month so i can wait for it and so would this document be supportful?


    1. administrator

      It doesn’t matter whether it’s checking or savings account, as long as it’s in your name.

      Legally, there is no requirement on how many years/months one needs to have stayed in US before inviting their parents. It’s all about whether you can take care of their personal expenses during their travel. So even 2 months should be fine in my opinion. Yes, having W2 is beneficial.

  31. roopa

    Hi Kumar,

    I am quiet relieved when I read the sentence where its not a big deal if parents dont have a source of income or property /deposits. M case is similar. I am on H4 visa and my husband on H1. We r currently expecting a baby in May this year. I am looking forward to have my mother here. My mother stays with my older brother (unmarried) in India. She is 55 yrs old. She has been a homemaker, not well educated, no source of income, no property, no financial deposits. There is a small piece of land which is under my father (who passed away in 2007) name. The only thing she has is a gas connection in her name in the rented house they are staying now in India. My husband is planning to sponsor her visa and entire stay here. She is intending to be here mostly for two to three months during the period of delivery if everything goes well. I am worried if the consulate will reject her visa due to insufficient proof of ties back in India. Though the small amount of land is in my father’s name, the documents of the same is with my uncle (father’s brother) , whom we cannot expect to do things steadfast to transfer the property in my mother’s name, though my brother had requested to do it from the time my father passed away. It would take a infinite time and hence I am feeling all the more hopeless thinking if my mother will be able to get her visa.

    1. rani

      Hi roopa,

      I was just wondering what what happened about your case? I am in a very similar situation as urs and i would like to know if your mom got a visa or what questions were asked? thanks

  32. Gargi Mukherjee

    I am in US for last 1 yr in L1. My L1 expired in Nov. I have applied for I94 extension and just got the receipt.I m planning to bring my parents. Is it possible to sponsor my parents now or they can aplly for visitor visa.

    1. administrator

      Yes, they can apply for the visitor visa. Just make sure that you provide them w/ a copy of your L1 extension, which they can show to the interview officer or POE officer (in case the question arises).

  33. Talib J

    I am working on a H1B visa and plan to send the required documents for my parent’s visitor visa (B2) soon. As I am planning to transfer my H1B visa soon, will it cause issues if I am not working for the same employer (on the sponsorship documents) when my parents go for their visa interview?

    1. administrator

      It would be better for them to have the latest information about your employment (both on paper and during conversation).

  34. Milan

    Hello Kumar:
    Great info!! Thanks.

    I would appreciate if you could please provide response to following questions.

    Since my parents would be applying visa from Mumbai have i need to prepare two sets of documents, one should go to my parents and other to US VFS (Point 11 of your Info) 3 days prior to date of their appointment?

    Thanks in advance
    Milan Shah

    1. administrator

      Milan, I meant that you just put a cover letter in point 11 stating what all you are enclosing, kind of like a check list for the Visa officer. It is not an extra set of documents…

  35. Mohamed Khan

    Hi Kumar,

    I am planning for getting visitors VISA for my parents. I have all the documents ready (latest) as mentioned by you.

    But my bank letter (which shows avg amt, balance etc) was taken on August 2010, Now my parents are going for interview by November first week. Will the bank letter be ok or do i need to get another one again ?

    Please clarify


    1. administrator

      I am really not sure what they exactly look for with respect to timing. My guess is, it must be fine…If you do have an option, preferably take a new one.

  36. Sanjeev

    The information in this web is very useful. I have a query.

    I have L1B Visa and i have been to US during the month of May 2010 and stayed there for 3 weeks only. Also i have SSN card. Now i am in India and my company is planning to send me again to US in couple of months. I want to take my Mother along with me to US.

    What is the possibility of getting VISA for my mother? What needs to be done to get VISA for my mother to travel along with me?

    Note: I am the one and only son to my parents and my father is working abroad in Singapore. My mother has a property of around Rs.50Lac on her name.

    Request you to advise me regarding this.
    What is possibility to take my mother along with me?

    1. administrator

      Typically, if you were to be in US already, you could have sent her invitation letter and stuff like I have written in the article. I do not know if you can do that as you are in India now… Yours is an different situation….I am not a lawyer by any means….I think she can just apply for visitor visa B2, but just apply with her property and other cash balance just on her name. The trick is, she is actually coming on her own with her expenses to visit USA and you are not sponsoring her. Think of it as she is planning on vacation to US through some travel agents or travel plan.

    2. Sanjeev

      Hi Kumar,
      Thank you very much for your reply. It is very useful and given me some confidence.
      But if she gets Visitor Visa B2, how long she can stay in US? is it 3 months or 6 months?
      Exactly my question, is there any difference in the Visa period for B2 Visitor Visa and Sponsored Visa?
      Correct me if am wrong minimum Visitor Visa period is 3 months, then is there any possibility to extend for another 3 months from US? If yes and if you know please share me details for extension of Visa for my Mother?

      It would great if you reply and give advise to all my queries.
      Thanks in advance.

      1. administrator

        Sanjeev, she can stay for 6 months or less…No, both are same and called visitor visa…the only thing difference is who is sponsoring for the stay in financial terms….Actually, visitor visa is typically given for 5 years or 10 years with Multiple entry…Again, it depends..I think, the minimum they would give is 6 months…..

        1. Sanjeev

          Hi Kumar,
          Thank you very much for your reply. I am planning to apply to B2 visitor visa for my mother in couple of days.



    HI .

  38. Amarnath

    What is the documentation for siblings visiting the US on a tourist/visitor visa?
    How long does it usually take to get a visa stamping for a tourist visa after the submission of the online application?
    Please advise.

    1. administrator

      I think it must be same… because it is a generic visitor visa. You actually schedule the date in consulate where you are going to….you should get the passport in a week or 10 days after Stamping.

  39. Krish

    Really Nice post. Couple of questions –

    a.) Do I need to be in United States at the time my parents go for the Interview for Visitor Visa ? I am thinking yes, as otherwise, information provided in I-134 would become incorrect (particularly I-94 number). Please confirm.

    b.) Do my parents need to carry my original birth certificate when they go for appointment ? What are the alternatives if we don’t have one ?

    Please reply.

    1. administrator

      a) I am not completely sure. What you say makes logical sense though because I-94 would not be valid…You can call VFS, they might confirm…
      b) Not really. I did not send any date of birth certificate or anything. Your passport copies should suffice. I think, the key things are your employment letter, I-797, affidavit, bank statement to support them.
      Good Luck Krish !

  40. Tushar


    I just started working full time a month back and am working on OPT (F1 visa). I have no bank balances as of date ($2000).

    Should I sponsor my parents and sister or have them do it themselves?
    If the latter what should I send them from my side.

    Thanks in advance.

    1. administrator

      Well, you need to have some money in your bank indicating that you are the sponsor and can cover their cost. Based on the money in your bank account, it is probably a good idea for you to wait for couple of months and then sponsor or borrow some cash from friends and sponsor by yourself. Because you have a full time job, it is preferred that you be the sponsor. You would have to send all the documents listed in the article.

      1. Tushar

        Thanks Kumar,

        I could borrow money, but wont I have to send a statement which would reflect that?
        Also what amount would you suggest (im sponsoring parents and sister)

        1. administrator

          Yes, statement would reflect that and you will send the bank statement too. But the point is, as you have full time job, I assume you will be fine….Well, you should have money in your account that equals to at least the cost of the whole trip for all the people coming to US and their expenses for traveling here in US too. You do the math.

  41. Santosh

    Thank you so much for your valuable post.

    I am looking for to invite my mother-in-law to USA.So is this same process do I need to follow or any extra check points I need to consider?

    Please advice me.



    really is a good way of knowing the information what we need..ireally helped by thz…nd thank u for thz information…

  43. DS

    This is indeed a well structured information. Thank you for posting this.

    I have a similar case. Parents donot own any property in India however they have some deposits.

    What are the chances of approval / rejection?

    1. administrator

      You are Welcome ! When my parents went for interview, they did not look at any documentation. Honestly, parents visa approval is guaranteed. Sometimes, if all the kids of parents are in US, then they may ask for additional ties back in India could be job or any other similar stuff. If parents are around 50s there should not be a problem.

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.