We have an article that talks about Indian Passport Renewal Process without an Agent, but it does not talk about process for NRIs ( Non-Resident Indians) that plan to renew passport in their home country when they are on vacation or for some other reason. Below are experiences shared by our readers Udita, Krish and Thani. Thanks to them for sharing their experiences. You can share your experience here
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in UK
By Udita – Background : I renewed my Indian passport (as it was 8 months to expiry date) in India (Delhi) via Tatkal mode. I currently live in the UK but hold an Indian passport.
List of Documents submitted for Passport Renewal in Tatkaal Option :
* Old passport
* ID proof (Voter ID)
* Address proof (Aadhar card) – my permanent address in India had changed
* Class 12 marksheet and pass certificate (for ECNR)
* Annexure F
* 1 photocopy of everything (I carried 2 copies, needed only 1)
Step by Step process for Passport Renewal for Tatakaal :
I applied for Tatkal passport on 20 Dec
My new passport arrived by Speed post on 22 Dec
(The following is for those whose permanent address in India has changed)
Police Verification Process :
Police came to verify at home on 23 Dec (asked questions about where I live etc – I told them I live in the UK and have come to India on holiday). He made me handwrite and sign a letter stating where I live and what I do in the UK and the dates of my last 2 visits to India. I also put my current permanent address and signed it.
I got my police verification is clear confirmation on 29 Dec.
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in USA
By Krish – Background : My passport was going to expire in Dec 2017 and had to get a new one issued. I had been living in the United States for the past 8 years and decided to get it done while I was visiting India (between April and May 2017). I decided to go for tatkal re-issue since I had my return flight to US in 2 weeks. So this was my situation: no change in address, but change in marital state, got my Aadhar card made as soon as I reached (since I was visiting India after 2 years).
Process for Indian Passport Renewal for someone living in Another Country :
- I filled out the application on the PSK website which was fairly straightforward. I entered my Aadhar Card # and agreed to have my print records retrieved for verification.
- Like many others here, I was mighty confused as to what documents to carry due to conflicting information – do I need an Affidavit for tatkal? Do I need to produce my 10th school leaving certificate (i don’t even have the faintest idea where I put it!) for non-ECR status? Do I need to enter my overseas address in the application? I spent several hours searching for answers and decided to go with what the Doc Advisor came up with below Document Checklist.
- copy of the front / back page of the passport,
- copy of my Aadhar card & Marriage Certificate (even though it wasn’t listed).
- I paid Rs. 1500 for the application through NetBanking and scheduled an appointment for the next day – 2/5/17.
Process at the Passport Seva Kendra ( PSK)
- I was supposed to reach by 11:30AM for my 11:45 appointment but got there at 12:15 (yeah, I am a big late-lateef). When I got inside, I stood in the q for 20mins to get a token, only to realize that tatkal applicants had a different Q.
- I went to the tatkal counter and the person at the counter took my application, passport and aadhar card copies and asked me to wait in the waiting area (he did not give me a token #). I waited there and realized that normal quota applications were getting processed quite rapidly and normal quota tokens were getting called each second.
- I must have waited for about 45 mins (which felt like hours) when finally the guy called me and gave my documents back along with a token number.
- Process at Counter A :
- Within 2 minutes, my token # was called and I went to one of the ‘A’ counters where the officer took my photo and entered my application details into her system and asked me to self-attest the copies. I told her that my marital status had changed and asked if she wanted to see my marriage certificate; she shook her head. She then got my fingerprints and asked me to pay Rs. 2000 cash for the tatkal service. Then she asked me to proceed towards the ‘B’ counters
- Process at Counter B & C :
- My token number got called immediately in one of the ‘B ‘ counters instead and the officer again, verified my documents against the originals. I waited for about 5 more minutes and my token number got called again in one of the ‘C’ counters, this time, the granting officer. She again went through my application and finally said “granted”. Phew, a sigh of relief. I then proceeded to the exit counter and got the confirmation which indicated that no police verification was required. Yay! I then went home, mildly surprised how smooth it went. Within a couple of hours, I got an SMS with the tracking number for the new passport. Amazing!
What was needed and Police Verification :
Passport re-issue in tatkal (expiring in 8 months) – only needed copies of first and last 2 pages of passport & Aadhar card. In and out in 1 and half hours. No police verification required since no change in permanent address. Got the new passport next day.
Passport Renewal in India for NRI Living in Singapore – Tatkaal – 2018
Background : Today I had renewed my Passport which is about to expire in Aug, 2018 (6 months) through Tatkaal quota smoothly without any trouble. FYI, there is no change of address to the existing passport. I am working in Singapore for almost 6 years and I noticed that my passport about to expire soon. I thought of getting it renewed from Indian embassy located at Singapore, but I didn’t process that way due to expensive charges.
I generally make a visit to Chennai 3 months once for a week holiday. And I decided to renew my passport at Regional Passport Office(RPO) Chennai during this trip.
Things I did before arriving to Chennai PSK – Application Online :
- I applied passport renewal through online under http://www.passportindia.gov.in/ .
- Created an account and logged into the passport seva website.
- I had filled in all the required details for passport renewal in the online application form.
- Present and Previous Address : I have entered Present and Previous address with my Permanent address in India.
- I also uploaded address proof (Aadhar Card, Voter ID) into the website for reference.
- I made an online payment for passport renewal of INR 2000 & balance amount of INR 2000 to be paid at RPO office during the appointment which is nothing but your Tatkaal processing fee.
- I scheduled my appointment just nice one day after my arrival to Chennai considering my short trip.
- You are allowed to reschedule your appointment 3 times after application submission.
Documents required for Passport renewal NRI in India: (For no change of address)
1. Original and photo copy of your passport and Aadhar card is enough.
2. No need any Annexures like B, F … etc (These Annexures applicable only for damaged / new passport applicants).
Passport Re-issue Appointment Day, Process :
- During appointment day it took only 45mins for me to complete the process the same day evening I got the SMS from passport seva that my passport has been dispatched through speed post.
- This process also applicable for people with change of address who required Aadhar ID / Voter ID / etc. as address proof.
- No agents required.
What has been your experience ?
Also, there are confusions on what address to put when you fill passport application, read Passport Renewal as NRI – Present Address Details