H4 visa MS in US In-state tuition Study in USA

Can H4 Visa Holder Study in US ? In-state Tuition ? Advantages ?

In H4 Visa by KumarUpdated : 330 Comments

I was talking to one of my friends the other day regarding his wife’s higher education plans on H4 visa and we were discussing about advantages and disadvantages like in-state tuition, OPT, etc. I talked to few universities just to validate the information of H4 visa in-state requirements.  This article will focus on advantages of studying on H4 visa and some disadvantages too.

Why H4 Visa holders wish to study MS or MBA in USA ?

I have seen many of my friends, who got married, actively inquiring about H4 visa education requirements, how to send their wife to study MS or MBA in US.  There are a variety of reasons for H4 visa holders to aspire to study MS  or MBA in US.

  • Young educated professionals who are married to H1B holders in US are ambitious and would like to pursue higher education to reach their education goals.
  • One of the significant reasons is the many of them cannot work, unless you qualify and can Apply for H4 EAD.
  • Most of the young professional women are so bored at home and they are having hard time adjusting from their busy work life before marriage and slow housewife life staying at home. They want to keep themselves busy and get education instead of wasting time sitting at home.
  • Some of them see the advantages of going back to school and maybe taking advantage tuition fee related advantages, if they qualify.

In-state tuition Eligibility for H4 visa holders to Study in USA

In fact, I was not sure on this until recent conversation with my friends and actively inquiring various schools about H4 visa in-state tuition. In reality, most of the state schools in USA give in-state tuition for H4 visa dependent holders, based on few conditions listed below. This may vary by state and you will need to check with the school before making assumptions.

  • H4 visa holder has to be married and be dependent to H1B visa holder for at least one year and lived in the same state for at least one year.
  • The H1B visa holder of H4 dependent should have paid state taxes and have proof of Residency by providing all or few of the below :
    • State Drivers license stating one year or more stay in State
    • House Lease documents  proof
    • W2 Forms, state tax filing papers
    • Car Registration document in the state
    • Bank account in the state.

Few of my discussions with schools to inquire on H4 eligibility of In-state Tuition :

The in-state tuition eligibility can vary by state and there  are always exceptions and you will have to check with school you are applying to. In general, H4 visa holders are eligible, in most of the states, for in-state tuition in state funded schools provided they meet few requirements. You will need to check with specific school you plan to apply to verify the policy based on state regulations.

Education Loans for H4 Visa Holders

Loans for up to $35,000 USD. No cosigner required. No Prepayment.

Advantages of Studying in US on H4 Visa

Well, If you do not know what in-state fee means, Read : In-state vs Out-of State tuition. Can you get in-state tuition if you work in US for more than year ?

  • If you meet the requirements as listed above for in-state tuition, the biggest advantage is Tuition fee savings. Your total tuition is less than one half. You will save at least 50 – 60 % of tuition or more depending on the tuition fee structure.
  • You can study full time and do not worry about working during studying. Your husband pays for your school and you get all the time in the world to study and focus on education.
  • If you have worked in India for some time, you may have an advantage over others in terms of grasping subjects quickly and performing better.
  • Once you graduate, you will be eligible for 20,000 additional H1B visas category for Masters in US. If you complete at the right time and find a H1B sponsor at right time, you may apply for H1B visa and work in US on H1B visa utilizing the extra quota for H1B visa.

Disadvantages of Studying on H4 visa in US

  • You will not be able to work On-Campus and cannot utilize the opportunities of TA, RA or GA funding options of University
  • You will not be able to work on CPT as F1 students.
  • You will not be eligible for a minimum of 1 year OPT
  • If you belong to STEM Degree category, you will not be able to use the 24 month extension of OPT for STEM Degrees
  • (This is applicable only if you plan to change to F1 visa after re-entry ) If you leave US for some reason and have to re-enter, you will have to get F1 Visa stamped on your passport.
  • If you do not meet the H4 in-state tuition requirements, you will have to wait for one year to meet the requirements. This is one year waste of time !

How to prep yourself for In-state Tuition eligibility on H1B and H4 Visas

Make sure you follow the below steps after you move to a new state, so that you do not regret after one year of stay for in-state tuition purpose.

  • Get a state drivers license in the first week or 10 days.
  • Register your Car and get State registration number plate in 10 days
  • Make sure you have lease on your name.
  • If you are a consultant, make sure you are paying taxes to the state you are living in, you must file taxes at end of year and have copy of W2 for future reference.
  • Open a bank account if you can in the state.

You may also read University of California Berkeley : How to Establish residency for Tuition purposes  . Hopefully, you got a good idea on H4 visa holder education in US with a gist of advantages and disadvantages. You have to carefully decide and talk to school DSO that  you are applying to before you jump into any conclusions.  You will not get any in-state tuition in Private schools !

Funding your Education on H4 Visa ?  Education Loan for studying on H4 visa ?

If you are passionate to study, but do not have money or you do not have credit history to take loan to study, it can be very frustrating. Luckily, one of the promising Y-Combinator funded fintech startups founded by international students, has an option to support H4 visa holders to get education loan. You or your spouse can apply and get loan for education in US.  You can get loan anywhere from $1,000 USD  to $35,000 USD depending on your eligibility, even without credit history. You also build credit history, if you get loan approved. We have partnered with them, you can Apply for H4 Study Education Loan at Stilt

What has been your experience ?  Did you get in-state tuition ? Share your experience.

Image Credits : http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdwaydiva1/2676105374/


Other Articles

Comments ( 330 )

  1. Divya

    I am on h4 visa live in California I came here in august…..I have done BE and M.tech in ECE…I have one year experience in dotnet field…I am not interested in MBA or MS….I am waiting for my h4 ead if I get ead also it’s difficult to find job here can you suggest me what are the options to get job once I get EAD…..any local training courses help me if so how to go through it?

  2. Viji

    If i leave for US – Houston on H4 visa by march 2020, will i be eligible to get the in state tution fee to start my MS by JAN 2021? please help me out with this.

  3. Karan

    I am currently on h1b visa in Austin. My wife will be joined me in the USA on H4 visa in June 2019. She will be starting her MS for Fall 2019 at UTA on H4 visa(full tuition). Can we get in-tuition from Fall 2020(after 1 year) ?

    Thanks in advance!

    1. administrator

      Well, it all varies by state. I would suggest you check with UT Austin to give them guidance. Call their admissions, check https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency

  4. Saumya

    I moved to the US last September on H4 visa. I have a IELTS score of 8. I have work experience in India. I am a BE, MBA. Please suggest good studying options for me. Is it better to go for MS – PhD or a management PhD? What are the prospects of admission with my visa? Will my IELTS score help me? Please guide me.

    1. administrator

      It all depends on what are your goals for the long term. Ask yourself, where do you see yourself in next 10 years…You already have an MBA, if you like business side of things, then you can consider PhD in business area…But PhD has a different purpose, usually for research, teaching or any advanced specialization…it can take up to 5 years for some of them in US. So, think through your options and make an informed decision. Go and talk to few schools by scheduling appointments with the dean, admissions to get an idea of the program, they will help you give the reality.

  5. Medidi

    Hi there,

    I am currently working on H4 EAD,passionate on studying Masters, if company willing to pay for education reimbursement /sponsorship.
    1. Whats the options?
    2. Is H4EAD can work and study simultaneously if their company agrees?
    3. Do they need to change their visa from H4EAD to F1?

    Please help whats the advantages and disadvantages at this moment.

  6. Chandrakala

    Hello Kumar,

    I have got 5 years BA experience in my country. I came to US on H4 Visa 2 years ago. I am deeply skeptical about getting back to work after 6 years of gap in my professional career. I am thinking to apply for masters degree here. Will I able to close my loan for studying masters before going back to my home country (my spouse have remaining 4 years H1B sponsorship)
    Is it worth studying now ?

    Thanks in advance

    1. administrator

      Well, studying masters on F1 visa or H4 visa ? Doing Masters does not get you a job…If you are keen on studying, you can change to F1 visa, study and then work on OPT, STEM OPT extension and then close out loans, if you get a job. Again, just doing Masters and having OPT will not get you jobs…it just gives you an option to work as student on OPT.

  7. Poonam

    Hi Kumar
    Thanks for the Info

    I completed my Degree in Bcs and MBA in HR and had work experience of 3yrs in my country but i have education gap during my graduation And I came to US(Texas) 8 months back on H4. Now I am Planning to do MS Am I eligible to apply.Can anyone guide me further.

    1. administrator

      Yes, you are eligible to apply. Gaps in education does not matter. Pick a good school that you are interested in and then check the requirements. You will probably need to write GRE, TOEFL as needed.

      1. administrator

        One of the things you can do is find out the State Schools in California and look up on their financial aid website or call, email them…

  8. Hadeeqa

    Hello .. my husband recently got residency of internal medicine on h1b visa and I am a doctor as well but not Ecfmg certified . I don’t want to sit idle at home and want to do some thing related to my field medicine or either study more like do masters. Can u tell guide me that Can I apply for instate tuition ? When not Ecfmg certified . What are my further requirements ?

    1. administrator

      You can consider studying at University on H4 visa. Regarding in-state, it is available only in state schools and you need to be in the state for at least 1 year and paid taxes. Check with the state schools in your area regarding eligibility. Alternatively, you can switch to F1 status and see, if there are chances of funding at the school to get in-state tution waiver like TA, RA or GA with Funding

  9. RD

    Thank you very much Kumar for this article. It was very helpful.
    H4 visa holders with more than One year of stay in USA with relevant documents is eligible for in-state tuition fee at University of Texas at Arlington (UTA).
    Here is the link for more details. https://www.uta.edu/admissions/freshmen/apply/residency.php

  10. Jishnu

    Hi Kumar,

    My wife is coming to US in H4 Visa by first week of October. She’s planning to enroll in USF in Florida. I’m in Florida for last 3 years with valid DL, house lease & tax documents. I’m planning to get Driving License for my wife once she arrives in US & open a savings bank account. Whether she’ll be eligible for in-state tuition fees if she joins college for Spring 2019.

  11. AJ

    My wife is on H4 and we are looking to enroll for MS program due to lack of good colleges in our state of NV we are looking at universities out-of -state. Due to this we are looking at online programs offered by public universities. We are aware that F1 students cannot do online programs is there such restrictions for enrollment for students on H4 status. Secondly, can we apply for OPT (she has never used OPT in USA) after completion of her MS since this is an online program? What criteria is required for applying for OPT after MS completion.

    1. administrator

      Yes, she will be eligible for CPT / OPT, if she moves to F1 status. You need to check with the school on the specifics of the program and the eligibility of the same for OPT/ CPT.

  12. Jane

    I was on H1B visa and worked in US for 1.5 yrs. My visa extension was rejected and i had to come back to india. Visa was rejected saying that i dont have 4 yrs bachelors degree or any US degree. I have Bachelors degree in commerce and have 10 + yrs of exp in Software QA Manual & Automation. Now i am travelling back to the US on H4 visa.
    Any chances of getting a H1B visa if i do any online certification or online Masters degree?

  13. Anamika Yadav

    I have H4 visa but not H4 EAD(still I140 is pending).I have done Masters from IIT in India and I want to work in USA.
    Could you please tell me how can I pursue a job.I don’t have GRE or TOEFL score.Currently I am staying in USA.I don’t want to do MS as I already have masters degree.Could you suggest some way to get work permit(may be by doing some short courses).

    1. administrator

      No, doing courses will not get you work permit. Unfortunately, if no H4 EAD, your alternative is to apply for H1B visa for next season.

  14. supriya


    My name is Supriya. Presently I am on h4 status. I have done bachelor in ECE and

    masters in VLSI & ES in India. I am thinking to get MS or graduate certification course

    (duration is 1year with 4 courses and fee is $20000). So could you please recommend me

    which is better.

    Thank you.

    1. administrator

      If you really want to study and passionate about it, I would recommend getting an MS degree. While certifications are good, they may or may not add lot of weight on your resume.

  15. Sindhu

    I am A H4 visa holder , and I am planning to further study in interior design & architecture , can someone pls let me know if I need to take any particular entrance criteria and under which visa category does interiors and architecture comes ??


  16. Paramedicash

    Hi, my wife is on h4 status in Virginia for 3years, can she start school here? She is only having 10+2 and has a long gap of at least 10 years in her studies.

    1. administrator

      Yes, she can. Education gap does not matter. She can go and speak to an admissions counsellor, if needs advise.

  17. Su

    Hi Kumar
    Thanks for the Info.
    I have 4 years of work experience in my home country and also I have done my MBA silmultaneously. I came to US last year on H4 visa and now I’m planning to join school for MS.
    I stay in NJ , in one for your comments I read that in NJ we are not eligible for in state tuition. So do I have any other alternative?
    –>also if I join college in fall 2018 when can I apply for F1 status change ??
    –> do we required to take GRE/TOFEL or any other screenings before or after applying for H4 to F1status change and before joining college??
    –> is it better to do MS online or on campus?

    1. administrator

      – Double check with a state school on the in-state rule in NJ, to be safe and for confirmation sake.
      – You can do it right away as soon as school starts, speak to DSO at school.
      – GRE, TOEFL are for admission and does not have any relation to your H4 to F1 status change. They are required for getting admission.
      – I would always do it on-campus.

      Also, frankly you already have an MBA, not sure why you want to do another MS online or on-campus, unless there is a real need or passion to something new. If you are clear on your goals and passionate about higher education, then only pursue it…

      1. Su

        as you said –“– GRE, TOEFL are for admission and does not have any relation to your H4 to F1 status change. They are required for getting admission.”
        so for a H4 visa holder to get admission in any university is it required for us to take GRE, TOEFL??

        Thanks for your suggestion, but I really don’t want to sit idle at home and frankly I don’st see any other options than going for MS so that atleast I’ll have a work permit after a year or 2. If you can guide or suggest me on this it would be really a great help.
        Thanks a ton 🙂

        1. administrator

          Admission process is same for anyone, either international on H4 or F1…even, if you are citizen, the only variant is TOEFL.
          Well, you can try looking for options to work at a community college, Universities or any other research institution that are sponsor you cap exempt H1B visa…it is not easy to find them, but better than going through everything all over again.

  18. Swapna

    I completed my MBA in HR and had work experience of 3yrs in my country.And I came to US 2yrs back on H4.Now want to do my PhD in US.Am I eligible to apply.Can anyone guide me further.

    1. administrator

      You are eligible to study PhD, provided you take the relevant tests like GRE, TOEFL. Take time to think about why you want to do PhD and the area that interests you. It is a long 5 year commitment and you need to be really ready for it. You can speak to a school nearby and get their guidance to make sure, if it is for you or not.

  19. Anagha

    Hi Kumar
    Thanks for the wonderful blog. I am Anagha. I am on H4 EAD currently. I will be starting my coursework at SFSU this(2018) fall. I plan to stay on H4 so that I can get the in state tuition. My course requires 1 year of internship, probably its considered CPT. Can I use my EAD for the internship? or should I switch to F1? What department/personnel at university should I contact about this? Thanks in advance for the help.

    1. administrator

      You should be able to use H4 EAD for working as there are no restrictions, no need to switch to F1. You should speak to your DSO as they are the best ones to guide on immigration. You can also speak to career services to get idea, but they may or may not know on the immigration aspects.

  20. Sonali


    Can H-4 visa take admission in online MS degree? Like full time student and then change status to F-1 by applying to COA and continue with online degree?

    1. administrator

      Online education is very tricky with immigration. I would suggest, you check with DSO at the school you plan to study. Usually studying is fine, but if you want to change to F1, then there are some guidelines, that’s why you need to check.

  21. Raghu C S

    Dear Kumar
    wonderful info.

    We are in California on H1B. My son is 2000 Oct born and is on H4.
    We came here to US in 2017 August in my son’s Junior Year. He will go to college in 2019 in H4. I assume he will be eligible for in-state tuition in UCs.
    He can continue the same till 2021 Oct when he turns 21. Post that he has to apply for COS and move to F1. For last two years of college he loses H4 status and has to be in F1 and will lose in-state. Is my understanding correct?

    1. administrator

      Yes in general, but it all varies by state. I would suggest you speak to the DSO and Financial aid division of the school and get clarity on the same.

    2. Supritha


      IAM currently on H4 visa for more than 4 years and have EAD but am not working.I would like to apply for MS. What are the things required to apply ? ( Like exams and documents for colleges)
      I don’t have Driving License
      I Have joint account in bank
      No House leasing on my name
      Where do I get information about all these?


      1. administrator

        You need to check the school for the requirements. Usually it would be GRE, TOEFL. You do not need any of these. You will probably need to submit your status document like H4 documents to DSO and maybe your Spouse’s H1B info and your income tax filings from spouse, if you want to claim in-state. Speak to the financial aid office in the school you plan to apply, you will get all of this info.

  22. Madhavan

    Hello All,

    I am staying in US on H4 visa and planning to get enrolled myself in MS by fall 2018. Am i eligible for applying OPT if I complete my studies in H4 itself ?

    Or Do i need to be in F1 while applying OPT ? If yes is there any specific period of time that I have to be in F1 before applying for OPT ?

    Please clarify

    Thanks in advance!

  23. Parshuram

    Hi Kumar,

    Thanks for sharing the information. I have a question regarding the travel outside USA. I joined MBA right now on H4 and planning to go out of country. So will I have any issues if I do that. Also if I carry the required H1 documents It should be fine or should I carry any other additional documents. Is it a good idea to travel now then?.

    I am also planning to transfer to F1 after coming back. I can’t apply right now because I have to give I94 and other information because they will change after entering back into the country. Is that right what I said?. How long does it take on average for the transfer to happen?.

    1. administrator

      You should be fine to travel on H4, just carry all documents of your status. You can apply for change of status (COS) anytime, but if you move to F1, then when you return you need to have valid F1 visa stamped on your passport to re-enter US, that’s the trick. You need to work with your school DSO to apply for COS. The processing time can take few weeks to few months, it is hard to say…there is no premium processing as well for COS.

      1. Rani

        Hi Kumar,

        Currently i am on H4 from last one year, now i am planning to join college. Can i change from H4 to F1 to get the CPT by staying in US? or i have to go back to india and apply for F1?

        Need your inputs

        1. administrator

          Rani, to get CPT, it totally varies by school and it can be either from from semester or after 2 semesters. You do not have to go back to India. You can apply for Change of status. Work with DSO at the school you plan to study. If you need to leave country and re-enter, then you will need to get F1 visa stamping done.

  24. Amit

    Thank you for a great post.

    I am currently on H-4 with EAD and am applying for fall 2018 MBA. I want to know if I should change my status from H-4 to F-1 after admit or next year, given the instability of EAD, so that I can apply for internships in 2019? Please advice when should I apply for F-1 or should I just stick with H-4?


  25. Arti

    Hi Kumar,
    Hope you are doing good !
    I joined MS program in spring 2017 and I have H4-EAD which will expire in June 2018. I was planning to get it extended along with my spouse visa extension. I am currently giving interviews for summer internship.Looking at current political scenario could you please suggest what would be the process for COS to F1? I have still 1 year of studies left. Please let me know your views.
    Thanks !

    1. administrator

      Until the rule is published and becomes a final rule, you will have time. it is too early to speculate on the timing. Once the final rule is published, you can plan for F1, if needed. But, you may NOT be able to work if you are on F1 and may not get CPT/OPT, if you join late. So, I would recommend you check with your DSO on your options and your eligibility to get OPT and CPT. If they say, you need to join now to get CPT and OPT, then you need to look at pros and cons and make a decision.

  26. Ruth

    Hey, I want to attend Rutgers university. I’ve lived in the state for 5-6 yrs now. My dad is on H1B and supports our family (all on H4). I’m currently studying at a community college (I have to transfer for fall 2018; need to apply by feb) and many of my friends have told me that H4 visa students can get instate fees. I’d emailed the transfer department at Rutgers regarding this matter to which they replied not to go by word of the mouth. Do you happen to know any alternative?

  27. Jennifer

    Why do you suggest exactly 7-10 days after moving to a new state to get a state drivers license and/or a state registration number plate? It could take more time than that, right?

    1. administrator

      I meant to say, apply for it within the first week or 10 days. Yes, you are right, it will take another week to get yours after applying.

  28. Sudharshan


    I have completed 4 semesters doing MS in h4 VISA and parallely tried for H1b in 2017 but though it got picked in lottery, the petition has been denied now. What is the best option for me going forward. I am planning to shift to F1 status within my school and see I become eligible for OPT. How early can I become eligible for this? Also, can I try H1B again in 2018 April if I change my status now to F1? Or is there a better option I should pursue? Thanks so much in advance

    1. administrator

      Well, you need to check with school to clarify on the OPT eligibility, even if you move to F1, as they may have specific requirements, especially as you have already completed 4 semesters. You can always try for H1B for next year. You can continue to pursue your higher education on H4 and see, if your spouse gets closer in the GC process and see your eligibility for H4 EAD, so that you can work….

      1. Sudharshan

        Thank you for your advice.
        I checked with the college and they said I can transfer to F1 but will need to be on that status for 12 months to be eligible for OPT.

        Is it right that I won’t be able to apply for H1b lottery in April 2018 if I change my status now. Would you know what is the process on change from h4 to F1.

        Also, will I be eligible for CPT during this 1 year F1 wait?

        Thanks so much!

        1. administrator

          You can apply for H1B in 2018, your current status does not matter. You should check with the school on the process to do COS as you will need documents from them, also USCIS site has COS details. Again, CPT rules vary by school. In general, for most of the schools, you need to be on F1 status for two semesters to be able to be eligible for CPT, but again few schools offer from beginning, it totally depends on school.

  29. Somya Gupta

    Its been an year staying in US on h4 visa, and my husband(H1-B) is been trying to get his green card initiated but no luck yet. I had a plan to write GRE/TOEFEL and pursue MS but I am currently 7 months pregnant. I am still looking forward to appear for GRE and probably get admission in any in state college. Are there certain Universities/Colleges which provide part time MS in such scenarios? Or if there are any other short term courses and if we can still get OPT? Please help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    1. administrator

      Usually, all the schools are very flexible with course load. It is up to you as student. You can take up one or two courses and do it part time. The degree does not say anything like part time or full time. So, nothing to worry. If you stay on H4, you can do it part time. But, the moment you go to F1 visa status, then you have to take full time load. So, you should be fine to take courses and in slow pace.

  30. Arun Minnasandran

    Hello Experts,

    My daughter is transferring to a US college from India. She currently has H4 and EAD. She will lose her H4 when she turns 21 in April 2018 but she has EAD because of pending I485. Is she eligible for student loans from credit unions, banks etc. Can she get a loan by herself or should I take a loan out and finance her studies. Which option is more cost effective.


    1. administrator

      In general, you will be eligible for education loans, if you are a Green Card holder or Citizen. Some do give loans with co-signer. This has to be checked with the bank…If she can get a loan in US, that will always be cheaper. Check for options. Also, you can read this article How to pay education loan to get some idea, at the end we talk about other options

  31. ashley

    hi, how are you?

    I am a h4 holder. My question is what if i lived in the USA for 1.5 years, but at my state right now which i want to get a master degree’s school, i only lived here for 1 month. Does that passable for me to get a in state tuition?

    Thank you!

  32. Rupashree


    I moved to USA on Jan 2016 to New York and worked for 1.5 years. Recently I got converted into H4 Visa and I am staying in Houston currently.

    Will I be eligible for in state tuition advantages?
    Overall I stayed around 1.9 years in united states but not in the same state. How does it work for me?

  33. Lohitha

    Iam studying b tech final.i got married .my husband is working in u.s.after b tech i want to study m.s .after b tech i will go by h4 visa.I am able to study

    1. Rick

      Information stated is misleading not to mention wrong. I have checked with the Rutgers office of admissions which stated that only GC holders or US citizens are eligible for in state tuition

      Please check your facts before posting as many people rely on this site for making decisions

      1. administrator

        It is not misleading info, most of the states do offer in-state tuition for H4 spouses, if they qualify the requirement. Of course, there are always some states that are exceptions, which is NJ in your situation. We have not explicitly written about NJ in-state in the article to mislead anyone. You can check the links on the page that talks about h4 eligibility of in-state.

        1. Paul

          Hi Kumar,

          Do you know any state offers In-state tuition for H4 visa holders?

          I have checked AZ, CA and NJ. None of them provides In-state tuition even though you stayed there for many years 🙁


          1. administrator

            Not sure, how well you checked. CA offers it. Check UC Berkeley : https://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-fees-residency/residency-tuition-purposes/immigration ( check under eligible non-immigrant visas, it has H-4 listed )

  34. Raji

    such a wonderful blog..keep up your good work. As one of our friends above asked, my question is also the same.
    Can we do a short term (atleast 1yr) certificate course to get eligible for OPT. Because I already have my M.Tech degree and not interested in doing a 3 yr or 2 yr MS. And I am just looking for a part time eligibility job(knew PT or FT doesnt make any difference). As far as my search I see some universities provide extension courses. Do you have any idea on these ?? Is it worth doing a certification to gain employment??

  35. vikash kumar

    I am looking for possible courses for my wife, who is a Masters in English literature from BHU, India. I live in Dallas, Texas so looking for nearby universities. I have spent around 1.5 years in Dallas and paid my taxes here. So I assume I should be able to get benefit utilize in-state fee.

  36. Jyothika

    Thank you very much for the useful information.. I have small question regarding Master’s degree for H4 dependent. Do we need to write any Test or do we need to have TOEFL score to get admission for MS into state university?

    1. administrator

      Your visa status has nothing to do with admission. You will need to take all the required tests that the University has for admission. if they require GRE for admission, then you need to take it. For TOEFL, you can speak to the university and may get waiver, if they believe that you have been in US and comfortable with American english. Check with the schools you plan to apply for precise list of tests needed.

  37. maha

    hi i got M.E (Ece dept & also a rank holder in master degree)i came us in h4 visa in mar 17. wish to work here. few of my frends says hav to apply for EAD for job. but some telling that green card have to get process for applying EAD. suggest me how i can get job. whether any short time courses possible to get job easier. pls help me

    1. Ram

      Maha, you can get EAD for H4 only if Green card process has been initiated for your Spouse. In that Green card process, your spouse must get his i140 approved. Only then you are eligible for H4 EAD.
      If you are not eligible for EAD, you need to look for an employer who could sponsor Visa for you and then on approval of the visa, you can start working.

  38. Sravan

    I have few queries regarding H4 and converting to F1

    1) How to avoid in-state fee? what are the things i need to do immediately after coming to US?
    Also, will I be able to void in-state fee even i apply to any other University like i stay in michigan now,but i would like apply to other universities as well which are not in MI. What is the case here?
    2) When is it ideal to convert to F1 from H4. Like I came to know that we dont need an I20 if we are on H4 and could show residency. Is this true?
    3) I have Master’s(in EE) already. But i would like to do another Masters(Wireless/Signal processing/telecommunication) before i go for Phd. Any suggestion on what are the rules to get double Masters.

  39. Vineeta

    Hi, I am on H4 visa currently and planning to apply for MS degree of next year Spring, as I am looking for In State tuition fee advantage, in University Of Washington. As per the requirement for in state tuition fee of University Of Washington, applicant should have got one of the driver’s license or state ID within 30 days of arrival but I happened to apply for the state ID late and applied it this week, whereas I arrived Washington in February 2017.

    Could you please let me know if I can still apply for in state tuition fee for Spring(March) quarter 2018 on basis of my leasing document and I94 which states that I am in Washington from Feb 2017 or I need to wait for Admissions in Aug 2018 till one year is over as per my state id?

    1. administrator

      It is always upto the discretion of the University. The whole reason they want to have one of that is to verify that you were in the state since then so that they can validate your residence. I would suggest you speak to the University in person and see if they can accommodate your request. You can offer to share your lease agreement, yours and your husbands tax returns, etc that can help verify the same. Again, it is always upto the discretion of the University…

  40. ritha

    Hello kumar,
    I m in H4 STATUS.As per current scenario /job market doing masters in h4 or f1 will land full-time jobs and sponsorship?I am not eligible either for instate tuition fee nor H4-ead currently.Which would be safer to study in h4 or f1 to get job opportunities?Kindly help.

    1. administrator


      I have always preferred to education on F-1 rather than on H-4 as that opens the channel to apply for OPT and your own H-1 in AD category. This way your visa and spouse’s visa are mutually exclusive and one can rely on the other if something happens to one’s visa. If you remain on H-4 and get EAD and spouse’s H-1 runs into issue, it would impact you as well.

      1. ritha

        Thanks Saurabh.Traveling with F1 towards H1b would be better.But is this really true ” getting a job in H4EAD is easier since it requires no sponsorship?”

        1. administrator


          Working on H-4 EAD does open-up lot of options. While on F-1/OPT you are limited to job related to your F-1 study. While on H-4 EAD, you can work in any job – right from 7/11 clerk to an IT engineer.

  41. amr

    I am in H4 visa, I plan to join Masters in Fall 17 (STEM Course) but I am not eligible for instate tuition fee currently.I would qualify for Instate tuition from Spring 17.I would also qualify for H4 EAD in Fall 18. Should I convert from h4 to f1 (now to gain opt/cpt benefits) or Getting a job through H4 EAD is easier as visa sponsorship is not necessary as per current scenario?

  42. PrabhA

    Which universties accept my h4 visa for degree course in dallas. I enquired alot for this. But im not happy with there respones. Plz suggest me

    1. administrator

      Your visa status does not have anything do with admission. Once you get admission, you can study on H4. Schedule an in-person appointment with Universities regarding admission, they will definitely help you and address your questions.

      1. Prabha

        No they are taking f1 visa not h4 vida. Please suggest me any degree college in dallas which they take h4 visa students.

        1. administrator

          We do not advise on schools. But, I do not see any reason for not taking H4 visa holders. You will NOT get an I20 as you will be on H4 status, you are as good as a normal US citizen kind of student…The school does not need to give you an I20 as you are not on F1, you will just need to submit a copy of your H4 to the DSO for reference.I am not sure, what’s the confusion. Speak to few of the schools in person.

  43. Shil


    Thanks for sharing this information. I have a question related to scholarships.

    Is an H4 Visa Holder eligible for scholarships ?

    Looking forward to your response.

  44. Shil

    Hi Kumar,

    Thanks for sharing this across. I needed some information regarding Scholarships.

    Is an H4 Visa Holder eligible for scholarships ?

    Looking forward to your response

    1. Advait

      Hi, did you get an answer to this question? I am offered a scholarship in a private university while I am in H4 provided I do some learning program for a few hours a week. Do you think it is legitimate?

  45. Pooja

    MAY 4, 2017 19:46:35 CDTREPLY
    Hi ,
    I have got my h1b approved on oct 2016 but due to personal reasons i changed my status to h4.
    1. Presently i am thinking of higher studies MS so my question is , should i study on h4 visa and then try getting job on h1 cap exempt or should i convert to f1 visa.
    2. Seecondly will it be a wise decision to take certificate courses on h4 and then go for job on h1b cap exempt

    I do have a career gap of 2 years so need a fresh start

  46. Pooja

    Hi ,
    I have got my h1b approved on oct 2016 but due to personal reasons i changed my status to h4.
    1. Presently i am thinking of higher studies MS so my question is , should i study on h4 visa and then try getting job on h1 cap exempt or should i convert to f1 visa.
    2. Seecondly will it be a wise decision to take certificate courses on h4 and then go for job on h1b cap exempt

    I do have a career gap of 2 years so need a fresh start

Leave a Comment

Comments Policy :
  • Comments are to drive conversation, add your thoughts, experiences, ask questions!
  • Do NOT write hate speech, swear words, or get into fight. Maintain etiquette
  • Enter your Name, valid Email, URL(optional - Facebook, LinkedIn profile URLs).
  • Your email will NOT be published. Do NOT post any phone numbers, email-ids
  • Do NOT post any links from other websites, unless official sites, University websites.
  • By submitting your comment, you agree to Term and Conditions of our website.