Why NOT to drive your Friend’s Car in US without your name on his Insurance?
It might be common for some of us not to worry too much about car insurance stuff and be tempted to drive our friend’s car when we visit them. It can also happen occasionally when you need to drop your friend to airport using his car or similar situations. The reality is, when everything goes well, there is nothing to worry. But, unfortunately if it is not your day, you may be in big trouble. Let me share my experience driving my friend’s car.
Driving Friend’s car with and without insurance
I went to visit my friend and during my visit I wanted to go to the bank. My friend was gracious enough to let me drive his big SUV. I am used to driving a mid-size car and all of sudden, the big SUV felt a little uncomfortable to me…Anyways, it was all good and I came home… I drove for couple days and everything was fine. My friend said, why don’t we just add you on my auto insurance just to be safe. I said that’s fine no big deal. He added me to his insurance. Next day, it just happened that I was in a rush for something and ended up in a small accident, the SUV just got a small scratch to bumper, but the other car was very light vehicle and got a small dent…Anyways, I had my insurance as well and I called up the insurance and explained that if my insurance would cover it ? The insurance agent said “NO, it does not”. I was shocked…My assumption was my auto insurance would cover any vehicle that I drive…but that’s not true…he said that your friends insurance should cover it…The damage to other car was estimated to be $3,500 dollars…That’s a lot of money…Bottom line, I got saved because I was added as an additional driver to my friends insurance. Supposedly, I were not be part of his insurance, I would have been screwed !
5 Lessons learnt from my insurance issue incident and experience :
- Though it is very tempting, avoid driving your friend’s car if you do not have your name added to his insurance. If it is not your day, you can be screwed.
- I had assumptions that my auto insurance would cover any car I drive…NOT true…Check with your insurance for more info.
- If you have to drive your friends car, make sure he adds you to his insurance policy…Talk to his insurance agent if needed and clarify.
- Do NOT drive any car or SUV that you are not comfortable with. I was not comfortable and I was complaining my friend the same…I should have not drove his SUV…Guess what, I kept driving and screwed it up…if you screw up you cannot change it…avoid driving if not comfortable with vehicle.
- I was driving in a new city using my phone for navigation and looking for directions occasionally. It was a bad idea doing too many things just by myself. It worked for the last 5 years….but not this one time….It is a risky proposition to do all this in a new place by yourself. Get a GPS and focus on driving…
Do you have any similar insurance related incident to share ? Anything to watch out for ?
Image credit : http://blog.timesunion.com/highschool/files/2010/03/car-accident-drivers.jpg
Do you like the article ?
Like and Give Google +1 for this Article :