Sample Experience Letters for Green Card (PERM) processing in USA


If your company is looking to file Green Card using permanent labor certification program (PERM) for you, they would ask you to submit previous work experience letters from your past companies. Often, many of us would be running around to get the letter format from friends or colleagues. I have collected a couple of Sample experience letters that were used by few for PERM processing.

Format of Previous Experience Letter for PERM Processing – America :

January XX, XXX


Dear Sir/Madam,

This letter is to verify NAME OF PERSON employment at COMPANY NAME , during the period of START DATE to END DATE. Listed below are the roles and responsibilities that NAME OF PERSON performed as a ROLE OF THE PERSON during the above mentioned period.

Job Title : ROLE NAME


We certify that NAME OF THE PERSON is an individual who will continue to make good contribution as ROLE OF THE PERSON.

If you have any questions, please contact our office







Click to Download Sample Experience Letter Green Card – PERM – 1

Click to Download Sample Experience Letter Green Card – PERM – 2



Disclaimer : These are just for your reference, we are not liable for anything. Use them with your own discretion.



48 comments… add one

  • Muthu May 3, 2015 Reply

    Hi Saurabh,

    I am in the process of filing my petition for GC processing with my current company.I have both ITES and IT experience and with 4 years of B.E Degree.In Total with ITES exp – i have 5+ exp outside of us but excluding the ITES exp i have less than 5 and my case is falling under EB3 rather than EB2.Since its my first company , should i include that exp for Eb 2 processing will that validation of roles and responsibility that thorough? will cause any issue during the process.

    Company 1 – ITES – (2 Years and 2 months and 22 days)
    Company 2 IT -(1 Year 11 month 11 days)
    Company 3 IT- (5 Years 4 Months and 24 days)

    Company 3 offshore IT- (2 Years 1 Months and 20 days)
    Company 3 Onsite IT- (3 Years 3 Months and 4 days)

  • Rocks Feb 22, 2015 Reply

    Hi Saurabh, I have around 9+ years of experience which includes 6 years in India and 3 years on USA, I hold B.Com and Msc(CS) degree also 1 year of CDAC IT Diploma. Now My question is that when I came to USA i left my employer under 8 months(they didnt gave me exp letter) and joined some top big company here in USA.

    would there be any problems if any company applies for my green card. please let me know.

  • Sumit Oct 14, 2014 Reply


    I am having Bachelor degree in Bioinformatics. My Employer is initiated my EB3 GC. I got update from my Attorney that there might be possible degree issue because education requirement for labor certification application is a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.

    Please let me know that Bioinformatics is considered a “related technical field” by the government agencies.


  • Neeraj Sharma Oct 7, 2014 Reply


    i need some suggestion i m stuck in strange situation.

    I have Bachelors degree, I have around 4.99 years of experience after that. The twist is as per my experience letters i have 2 days overlap between two companies in india. When i calculated my experience earlier i include that overlap i m able to get 5.0 years of experience so thought i m valid for EB2 category.

    My Labor is approved but now at filing of I-140 i fear if USCIS ignores the overlap and says that 4.996 years of experience will be considered as not eligible for EB2 category.

    Please suggest.

  • Deepak Jun 10, 2014 Reply

    Hi Saurabh,

    My new employer will be upgrading my filing from EB3-EB2.
    I am planning to ask for experience skill letter from my previous supervisors. Question is do such letters have to be on Company letterheads?

    Thanks and appreciate your help

  • Rishi Jan 31, 2014 Reply

    Hi Saurabh

    I have a question about the experience letter. I have only one previous employer with 12 yrs of experience with them. I have lot of onsite deputations within that period.

    My attorney is asking me to list all of the onsite deputations, work period in India with clear periods, So it is turning out like

    Mr. X held the position of for TCS India ltd. from Jan 2001 to Mar 2003, from Dec 2003 to May 2005.
    Mr. X held the position of for TCS United kingdom ltd.(subsidiary of TCS India Ltd.) from Apr 2003 to Nov 2003
    Mr. X held the position of for TCS Australia ltd.(subsidiary of TCS India Ltd.) from Jun 2005 to Nov 2006

    a. Is mentioning multiple company names going to cause issues
    b. is it safe to phrase like

    Mr. X held the position of for our company in India from from Jan 2001 to Mar 2003, from Dec 2003 to May 2005.
    Mr. X held the position of for our company in united kingdom from from Jan Apr 2003 to Nov 2003

    I read somewhere mentioning multiple company names will confuse the USCIS and RFE might arise. Could you guys help me out here on how to approach this – a. or b. or it does not matter.


  • rajiv Jan 2, 2014 Reply

    Hi Surabh,

    I have experience overlap issue and need your advice.

    In EB2 5+ years of experience is required to show and I have totol 7+ experience.
    India product base company (1.2 years), Big IT company (6.2 years) and desi consultant in Usa (5+ months). My 1 week experience is overlapped with IT company and last desi company in USA

    My question is
    1) Can I exclude my last experience(Desi company) under EB2 category?

    2) Is there problem if I show 1 week overlap experience in PERM/I-140 and later stages.

    Thanks for your help.

    • Saurabh Jan 3, 2014 Reply

      What’s the reason for overlap?

      • rajiv Jan 6, 2014 Reply

        I was working on L1B visa and resigned with 1 week notice period.
        On same day my employer told me that you have to leave company today as you moved to H1B and can no longer work on L1B.
        I joined H1B company from next day. But When I received my experience letter after 6 months they put wrong end date. Now they are saying last financial period is closed and can’t change the dates.

        • Saurabh Jan 7, 2014 Reply

          I don’t think it will adversely impact your EB-2 application. As that experience was inside US, you should not exclude it (it shows that you maintained L-1/H-1 status).

          Talk to your attorney as to what dates to use. Can the company issue a letter explaining that the dates are indeed off by 1 week but they cannot issue a corrected experience letter?

  • Praveen Nov 21, 2013 Reply

    Hi Saurabh,

    I am applying for Green Card in EB-2 category.
    I did my engineering and i have nearly 10 yrs of experience 6+ in India and 3+ in USA . To apply i was said i need reference letters for my India experience.
    Now my question is should those letters be in companies letterhead (is it must) and cant i get it on A4 sheet and get attested .
    As one of the company i worked was merged in 2007 and now all my peers and managers left that company.

    Please advice me the best approach and other alternatives.
    This is the only issue stopping me to proceed i would really appreciate your help.


  • Udi Jul 24, 2013 Reply

    Hello Saurabh,

    You have been a great help last year and because of your help I am here in USA now.
    I have few questions regarding the Green card processing. I am a Physical Therapist and have done 4.5 years of education in India. Did 2 years of masters from USA. Worked for about an year in one company on OPT and H1B, stayed/stuck in India for 5 months, got my visa transferred and since then working in the second company since may 2012. So another 1.3 years of experience. Now my new company is ready to file my GC. And I have several questions before starting the process.

    1. I will fall into EB2 or EB3 category?
    2. Is there any way to expedite the GC process, like the premium processing of H1B and if yes, then how much time does it take. I got to know from one of my colleague from Nepal that he filed for his GC and paid extra $10, 000 for premium processing and got his GC in 1 year.
    3. My fiance is on OPT which is ending in Dec 2013. and till now we couldn’t find any non-cap company to file his H1B. Is there any way I can file for his GC too with mine without him coming on the dependent visa. I can get court marriage done asap if it can be done.

    Please help. Thank you.


    • Saurabh Jul 29, 2013 Reply

      Glad I was able to help you out last year :)

      1. You have done MS in US and so you may be eligible for EB-2. However, your EB category also depends upon what the job requirements are. If the job requires someone w/ Masters or Bachelors + 5 years of work experience, then you can qualify for EB-2. If it requires someone w/ just Bachelors then you cannot qualify for EB-3 (you will be over qualified for that job in a way). The best person to answer this will be your attorney.
      2. There is no way to expedite it that way. You can file PP for I-140 but there are lots of stages that cannot be expedited like job posting, quiet period, PERM processing. Also, the final I-485 cannot be filed until your priority date is current. Nepal doesn’t have backlog for EB-2, and so they can get GC quickly. EB-2 India is pretty backlogged.
      3.No, it won’t help until your I-485 is filed and EAD is approved. Until then he cannot get any GC work employment benefits from your GC processing.

  • kwik May 12, 2012 Reply

    Hi Saurabh,
    I have an EB2 petition that was approved last January 2012. My employer had already forwarded the required documents and fees to the NVC and I already received an email that final processing of my case was completed last March 13, 2012 and was advised that I will soon be receiving my exit interview schedule 60-90 days from the date of the final processing. I am a bit worried because until now I still haven’t received any notice for the schedule, and its been 2 months already since final processing was completed, is this a normal variance with regards to my case?

    I have a friend who received her exit interview schedule 1 1/2 months after the final processing of her case was completed and she was notified of her schedule almost 1 1/2 months prior to her schedule. Are there any other cases where NVC did not notify the recipient of their exit interview schedule even after the said 60-90 day time frame?
    I hope you could enlighten me with this matter . Thank you in advance.

    • Saurabh May 12, 2012 Reply

      I don’t know the answer to your question.

  • naveen Apr 17, 2012 Reply

    I have java programming experience of 1.5 years. I started out my programming career right after i passed my B.Sc in computers. Now i am pursuing an MCA course and after the completion of the course i would be pursuing an MS in Bioinformatics from the US and have plans to work and settle down in the US

    I have a couple of questions —

    1>at this point in time what all can i do to ensure that i get a green card as soon as possible after i start my career in the US.

    2>Will the 1.5 yr experience in the software industry in India , be of any value there?

    3>Will me doing my Masters Degree form the US help me get a green card permit sooner ?

    4>should i get a special experience letter made from the HR of my previous company describing my skillets and job profile in detail?

    5>Will me doing work remotely (through ODEsk) while doing my MCA be counted as experience?

    Eagerly waiting for your response


  • jimmy Apr 16, 2012 Reply

    Reg:- EB2 Green Card

    I am having 5+ years of IT experiance in a big Nasdaq listed company. I have been working in india for the past 5 years for the same company and just 1 month back only i came to US. I did my 4 years B-Tech in computer science from India. My question is with my background can we go ahead and try for a green card ?. What are the criterias for greencard?. Is there any minimum mandatory days one need to be here before filling the petition?.

    Note:- I got my first H1b stamped just 2 months back and i travelled immidiatley. Now i got my H1b extended too. While calculating H1b years they will start calculating from the stamping date or the I797 issue date?. Thanks

    • Saurabh Apr 17, 2012 Reply

      You are eligible for GC, but may not be eligible for EB-2. When looking for relevant experience, one usually doesn’t include experience w/ the same employer. So in that terms, your experience outside current firm is 0, which means you are eligible for EB-3 and not EB-2. You can discuss it w/ your attorney. Most of the companies start the GC process after you have worked for them for at least 6 months, so that they can evaluate your performance and state the same to USCIS. As you have been working for them in India as well, your employer can start the process even now.

  • Tanya Apr 2, 2012 Reply

    EB2 with 4 Years Textile Degree?
    Hi Saurabh,

    To upgrade my GC to EB2, I want to apply for a job which requires Masters in Computer Science or equivalent +1 Years of experience OR Bachelor in Computer Science or equivalent + 5 years of experience.
    I have 4 years Bachelor degree(B.Tech.) in Textile Technology and 9+ years of IT experience and currently working as Application Developer. Do you think I can apply for this job for EB2?
    My doubt is how can my Textile degreee fits in to the requirement of *Computer Science or equivalent*? Do you think that mismatch in degree type will cause any issue in PERM or I-140?


    • Saurabh Apr 3, 2012 Reply

      I know people who did their Bachelors in non-Comp-Sc and then applied under EB-2 category. I think it should be ok, but you will have to check w/ attorney to be sure.

      • Tanya Apr 3, 2012 Reply

        Thanks Saurabh,

        One clarification, not sure you can answer or I should check with attorney. What should be EB2 job description for my Textile Technology degree?

        Also were the non-comp science people who applied for EB2 were they able to get GC or at least Labor/I-140 approved?


        • Saurabh Apr 3, 2012 Reply

          As it can vary from case to case, you will have to check it w/ your attorney about your specific case.

  • Rajat Mar 18, 2012 Reply

    Hello Saurabh,

    Few days back, i took your guidance and finally got my H1B Approved. Now, am currently in US. Thank you very much.

    Now, I have an employer who is ready to file Green Card for me. I have total 4 years of experience & B.Tech Degree, and he told that he shall be filing EB3 and once i complete 5 years, he shall be upgrading it to EB2.

    1) My H1b Visa is valid till Feb 2013 (Just 1 Year), do you think that it would be the right move.
    2) Also, please let me know, how the process happens in short..Like After some time (say 6 months) i will have to change to his company on h1b and so on..and by next year May when I will complete 5 years, he will upgrate it to EB2.
    3) Also, even though he files my GC today, is it possible that i can continue working for my current company for 1 year from now..and then move to his company..
    4) How much time does EB3 or EB2 takes for getting GC?

    Any other advice..


    • Saurabh Mar 19, 2012 Reply

      1. In case you have to leave US after 1 year, your GC process can still continue (assuming employer is still ready to support it).
      2. Usually one continues to work for GC sponsoring employer at least till I-140 gets approved so that employer has vested interest in your GC petition. So what you can do is file H-1 transfer to this company after you have at least 5 years of experience. This will allow you to move to EB-2 in future (pending job requirements)
      3. Yes, technically it is possible
      4. EB-3 will take around 10-15 years (or more), while EB-2 will take around 2-3 years (tentative). This is assuming your country of birth is India.

      • Rajat Mar 19, 2012 Reply

        Hello Saurabh,

        Thanks for your reply.

        Need clarification on point no 2.

        Company A filed my H1b and got approved.
        I am currently working in Company A, but Company B is willing to sponsor Green Card. So, I shall stay in Company A for another year and complete 5 years and after that i can ask for H1b Transfer to the Company B.
        Company B is initiating the green card now, so for how long i can still continue working for Company A. My intention is to work atleast a year in Company A (Just completed 15 days in Company A)


        • Saurabh Mar 19, 2012 Reply

          IMO, you should work for A until you have 5 years of progressive experience, and then move to B. This way, you will have at least 5 years of work experience prior to joining B, and then can file another GC for you in EB-2. They will also be able to retain and port the original priority date.

          • Rajat Mar 19, 2012

            Pls confirm..
            You mean that..Let Company B file the GC in EB3 now, and i shall continue working with Company A till i complete 5 years. Then move to Company B with the same priority date as that of filing for EB3.


          • Saurabh Mar 19, 2012

            Yes, that’s what I mean. You can check w/ B if that’s what they were planning to do.

          • Rajat Mar 19, 2012

            Thanks Saurabh for reply.

            Yep, Company B is planning to do the same. File on Eb3 and then next year on Eb2, so that priority date remains same.


  • Visathinker Feb 27, 2012 Reply

    EB3 to Eb2: Choose Consulting Company OR Full Time Employee?

    Hi Saurabh,

    Good Morning. Hope you are doing great!

    I am at CRITICAL stage of my life and need your kind advice and I believe many others would also be looking for same advice.

    I have I-140 Approved(EB3) and 6 years of my H1 are complete. I am working for Big Consulting Company and they can’t upgrade my GC to EB2 as my experience for same employers can’t be used for EB3 to EB2 upgrade.

    I am in GREAT DILEMMA whether I should join Cosulting company or I should join a Businesss Company as Full Time Employee such as Bank?? I see Pros and Cons on both sides….

    Consulting Companies:
    Pros: Once a Project is over you can find another project without losing your job.
    Cons: Nowadays Consulting comanies are having difficult time in getting Visa extension without Client Letter and not all Clients are issuing Letter to Contractors. Without Client Letter my Visa Extension was denied last year and I don’t want to repeat same thing.

    Full Time Positions:
    Pros: I don’t need to worry about Client Letter and Visa extension should not be problem.
    Cons: Once Project is over then I may not be getting another project and worst case If I am Laid off then I will become out of status and I will have to go my home country as jobless!!

    I have family and school going daughter and non working wife. I don’t want to spoil two lives because of my poor decision so I request all you folks to please provide your advise based on your experience or your friends’ experience. I will be highly obliged to you!


    • Saurabh Feb 27, 2012 Reply

      USCIS also evaluates the company profile when processing the GC position. You do not want to join a small consulting company whose GC application end up getting denied. IMO, you should go for medium to large corporation who are ready to file your GC within 6 months after you have joined them so that you can make use of the current processing times. Not every large company lays off an employee after the project has ended. They move on to other projects, unless their are no other openings in the projects.

      • Visathinker Feb 28, 2012 Reply

        Thanks Saurabh for your kind advice!

        I have heard, not sure this is correct, the Full Time Employers are less flexible in filing Green Card Process. i.e. they don’t make attempt to port priority date from Eb3 to Eb2 while consulting companies can do so. Please enlighten me what is correct information.


        • Saurabh Feb 28, 2012 Reply

          I know lot of people who got their GCs filed through full time employers. You can go through the GC database (link available on top of the blog) to look at companies that have filed GC in the past.

          • Visathinker Feb 28, 2012

            Thank you so much Saurabh for your advice! Have a nice day!

  • abcd Jan 12, 2012 Reply

    Hii Saurabh,

    I am in a strange situation that

    I am in India my PD is current I 485 is pending and my h4 and Biometrics which i gave in US were expired

    SO what kind of visa i can take
    I am a derivative applicant not primary already my husband’s GC arrived he is in US

    can i apply for a b1 or f1 or h1??
    please advise me

    • Saurabh Jan 13, 2012 Reply

      I don’t know if you can enter on B-1 or F-1 and then go for biometrics. Please consult an immigration lawyer about this.

  • Visathinker Jan 9, 2012 Reply

    Subject: Eb3 to EB2 Upgrade, Same Employer or Change Job?

    Hi Saurabh, Good Morning!

    Hope you are doing great!

    I am at critical stage of life. I have EB3(India) I-140 Approved with PD Jan-2009. Considering huge back log in EB3-I, I don’t think I will be getting my Green Card even till the day of my retirement. I am seriously thinking to get my GC processing changed to EB2 as well port my PD of EB3. I am in big dilemma whether I need to change my employer or I should file EB2 with same employer!! I have heard that EB2 with same employer is not easy. Could you please let me know what should be the correct path for me to choose?
    FYI – I have not got any promotion with my current employer since I have joined it nor I do I think of getting any promotion in next 1 or 2 years.


    • Saurabh Jan 11, 2012 Reply

      One qualified for EB-2 if the job requires at least a Masters degree or Bachelors + 5 years of progressive work experience. In addition, you need to qualify for the same. So if you have necessary education and experience, then you can change to a different employer who can offer you a job that qualifies for EB-2. Once you change employers and the new employer files GC for you, you may be able to port PD if you have a copy of approved I-140. Upgrading through the same employer is much more difficult and susceptible to audit.

      • Visathinker Jan 12, 2012 Reply

        Thanks Saurabh!

        My employer doesn’t provide copy of I-140. I only have receipt number and can check status of I-140 online at USCIS site. Do you think receipt number is sufficient to port PD or do you have any other advice beside this?


        • Saurabh Jan 13, 2012 Reply

          I am not sure about this. Please check w/ an attorney.

  • Arun Jan 7, 2012 Reply


    I was on L1-B for 5 years till Oct 2011. Now I moved to H1-B and is valid till Nov 2012 (maxout). I have my I-140 approved in Nov 2011 in EB3 category.

    Now I am looking to change employer, but I will not get copy of approved I-140 from my old employer (they might cancel it if I resign). My new employer is ready to file GC in EB2. My questions are

    1. Is there any way I can port my I-140 priority date from my old employer?
    2. When my new employer files Labor and say if it goes into audit, then will I be able to extend my H1-B after Nov 2012?
    3. Is it advisable to change employer at this point?

  • naveen Jun 19, 2011 Reply

    Can we submit the experience letters of the time when we were employed in India too.. while applying for green card permit?

    • Saurabh Jun 21, 2011 Reply

      Experience letters need to contain specific skills used in past job. AFAIK experience letters from India are very generic and just specify years of experience and not specific skills. The skills also need to match the ones required for the proposed job.

      • naveen Jun 21, 2011 Reply

        What if i get the experience letter in the same format as proposed in the above article, from my employer in india? would that be valid?
        (and yes the skills mentioned …very well relate to the job on the basis of which i would apply for a green card)

        • Saurabh Jun 21, 2011 Reply

          Yes, you can have them and they come in handy especially when you have to show relevant years of work experience for the proposed job.

          • naveen Jun 21, 2011

            Does freelance work (e.g- freelance software development work )count as work experience for a software developer in the US?

          • Saurabh Jun 21, 2011

            If you worked as an employee from 2008-2010 and freelanced for another client for one year during same period, then your years of work experience is counted as 2 and not 3.

            It is better to get it discussed w/ a lawyer who can deep dive into what documents you have and can tell you exactly if they add up as relevant work experience for GC filing or not. It is not appropriate to give you a yes or no answer without knowing the whole picture.

      • Mainak May 6, 2014 Reply

        Saurabh – My employer has checked my experience details and decided that i can be filed under EB2 category. However they informed that I have to present experience letters from my former employers with Job Desc. Out of my three previous employers one of them provided me with an experience letter that do not specify job desc. This was my second company. When i contacted them they said that they cannot provide anything outside of their standard format(which does not contain job desc).
        Will this affect my processing? Is there any possibility of RFE from USCIS?

  • Only comments please. Ask your questions in Q & A Section.
  • DO NOT Share your email/Phone Number for H1B Sponsors here!
  • We do NOT sponsor H1Bs or provide guidance for the H1B Sponsors.
  • Beware of people reaching out to you ONLINE for H1Bs. Avoid Fraud!
  • Do NOT post external links/email-IDs, unless US Univ/Govt, News.
  • By posting comments, you are agreeing to our Terms and conditions, they can be removed or reported, if violation of community guidelines or law

Leave a Comment