1. Yes, you can. Technically, you are still in status as there is no rejection yet.
2. No, you will be considered in status.
3. Well, it is up to you, you can take the decision based on your situation. worst case scenario, if something does not work out for your spouse, you will be covered, if you apply for F1 COS now. I suggest you speak to your DSO and take the decision. Also, you should speak to your spouse's attorney and clarify this to be safe.