Did you apply for H1B visa ? Check H1B Processing times. Please add your H1B Application info to our H1B Tracker !
0 votes

Hi all,

I want to change my name in passport before applying for F1 visa. I have given GRE with the name Ashok Kumar and applied to universities with same name. Now, I want to change my name to Ashok Khanna. I want to know whether this will have complications in F1 Visa? And how to avoid it?

Appreciate your help


asked in F1 Visa - OPT by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

I'm not entirely sure I understand your case.  You can apply for GRE only with the name mentioned in your passport.  On the day of the exam, they'll cross check the name against your passport, and you'll not be allowed to write the exam if there's any discrepancy.  You'll also have to use the name in your passport when you apply to universities -- if you get admitted, they'll use this name when issuing you immigration documents (e.g., I-20).

answered by (180 points)

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer 521 views
0 votes
1 answer 566 views
0 votes
1 answer 53 views
0 votes
1 answer 150 views